Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,044 members, 7,859,743 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 05:53 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (145) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1387494 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by lizcom25: 12:54pm On Sep 20, 2014
@tvegas: true. Agency always have a way of getting reduced prize. I experienced this when I searching for wifey flight. Finally got a BA and it was high. I contacted an agency and the prize was greatly down. Even after that the agency called me the next day that the have saved 40k for me and it was paid into my account.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by lizcom25: 1:09pm On Sep 20, 2014
Every pregnant woman have a choice to make for safety purpose. Why will you wait till 35/36 wks bfore flying? Whatever that will keep you till then is the choice you have made over safe journey and birthing
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by cfcchick: 1:39pm On Sep 20, 2014
lizcom25: Every pregnant woman have a choice to make for safety purpose. Why will you wait till 35/36 wks bfore flying? Whatever that will keep you till then is the choice you have made over safe journey and birthing

So people who fly 35/36 wks don't have safe journey and birthing Being judgemental over people's personal decisions and choices!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nita2013: 1:44pm On Sep 20, 2014
Hi ashleybaker, I won't lie it was indeed a long flight from dubai-chicago about 14hrs 40mins (though we arrived Chicago earlier) but it was a comfortable flight because Emirates economy is d premium economy(a higher economy) of other airlines like BA. There was enough leg room so u could stretch ur legs very well. Also d crew members knew I was pregnant so they kept asking me if I was ok and kept filling my bottles with water (but toilet bcame my best friend-which was very good). U can ask for fruit as many times as u want (they will oblige u since u r pregnant). Pls do not drink anything (tea, cofee, sweet drink, fruit juice etc) apart from water. Also make sure u stand up and walk about a lot for better blood circulation (no one would stop u).

Also their movies were uncountable so u could occupy urself with some when u r not sleeping. I could not sleep though so I watched movies and walked around.

In all I enjoyed d flight as their service was exceptional.

quote author=ashleybaker][/quote]
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by kuzeh: 1:47pm On Sep 20, 2014
lizcom25: Every pregnant woman have a choice to make for safety purpose. Why will you wait till 35/36 wks bfore flying? Whatever that will keep you till then is the choice you have made over safe journey and birthing
I totally disagree. .. There are some situations way beyond control
DONOT be judgemental
God be with us all
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by kuzeh: 1:50pm On Sep 20, 2014
Nita2013:
Hi ashleybaker, I won't lie it was indeed a long flight from dubai-chicago about 14hrs 40mins (though we arrived Chicago earlier) but it was a comfortable flight because Emirates economy is d premium economy(a higher economy) of other airlines like BA. There was enough leg room so u could stretch ur legs very well. Also d crew members knew I was pregnant so they kept asking me if I was ok and kept filling my bottles with water (but toilet bcame my best friend-which was very good). U can ask for fruit as many times as u want (they will oblige u since u r pregnant). Pls do not drink .

quote author=ashleybaker]
I can imagine..... Emirates economy is indeed d premium economy of some other airlines
Thanks dear

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Tvegas(m): 1:52pm On Sep 20, 2014
lizcom25: @tvegas: true. Agency always have a way of getting reduced prize..
Sometimes this holds true and I don't have anything against where people book their tickets. The agent who started the argument twisted my words and i had to correct him. However I have had nasty experiences with some travel agents which turned my default mode to "do it yourself".
The average flying week for preggies on this thread in the past was the 35th week and they were all fine. We should let each person consider their pocket and body then decide which week is best for them without putting fear in their mind. The 34th week is not a law, body differ from body.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nita2013: 1:54pm On Sep 20, 2014
Hi twizzie, my onward journey to Chicago had just 3hrs 30mins stop over in dubai so we were at d airport all tru. It's my return leg that has 16hrs layover in dubai.

But as regards d hotel stuff, to my knowledge (I know 2 pple that always fly emirates) I was told, make sure u do d dubai connect online. After that is done, at d point of check in at d airport, do not forget to collect ur dubai connect voucher. Without it no one would answer u in dubai.

When u get to dubai, it's either u ll see a staff waitin for all those with dubai connect or u can walk up to d information desk to make d enquiry. Once that is done, u ll be taken to d shuttle bus that would convey u to ur hotel. They would inform u of the time d shuttle bus would be back to d hotel to pick u back to d airport.

[quote author=twizzie]Hi Nita...kindly share ur experience on Emirates.. I moght be flying with them as I have to get to NJ for Few days b4 heading to phoenix.. I want to know how one goes about d hotel choice thingy.. I
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nita2013: 2:06pm On Sep 20, 2014
Hi MadameU, if she post d name of hospital (Seyib as regards d hospital in Chicago), it won't be seen as advert but u can't get d package deal tru d hospital but tru a doctor that took her delivery that uses that hospital and if she post d name, number and email of d doctor, it might be seen as advert because she would tell u to inform d doctor who referred u.

If u call d doctor, he would ask how u got his info and if u don't tell him who referred u, he won't give u any info either.

So I think it was wise to seek permission/approval from Justwise b4 goin further or better still send her a private email.

[quote author=MadameU][/quote]
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nita2013: 2:15pm On Sep 20, 2014
Hi Tvegas, I was told by my hospital in Nigeria that d rule states that d average flying time for a Preggy is 34weeks (ie 34weeks + 6days). But a doctor friend said that he understands that due to d nature of some jobs and d 3months maternity leave thing (ie spending it wisely), pple tend to travel at 36weeks, 37weeks and some risk 38weeks.

But he adviced, b4 anyone does that speak to ur doctor, study ur body and if possible go for hospital check up a day to ur travel date. After which rest all tru d remaining part of d day. Above all pray for God's grace and strength

Tvegas: Sometimes this holds true and I don't have anything against where people book their tickets. The agent who started the argument twisted my words and i had to correct him. However I have had nasty experiences with some travel agents which turned my default mode to "do it yourself".

The average flying week for preggies on this thread in the past was the 35th week and they were all fine. We should let each person consider their pocket and body then decide which week is best for them without putting fear in their mind. The 34th week is not a law, body differ from body and pocket deep pass pocket.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by lizcom25: 2:43pm On Sep 20, 2014
@cfchick. Am not judgemental and I don't think your outburst is necessary. We have read it on this thread that whatever time you choose you know your body best. Please read my statement with understanding rather than reacting please

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by lanis: 4:16pm On Sep 20, 2014
nathiyke: Pls who can help with the approximate cost of delivery at Oakbend MEdical Centre. Was scheduled for Maricopa but the price has been reviewed upward! sad

pls note that Oakbend prices ll b reviewed too, starting from Oct 1st. here r d quotes for ur perusal
old prices new prices
Normal d(2nights) 2150. 2300
c-section(3nights). 3200. 3500
twins,each additional 500
each additional day mom 350
each additional day baby. 350
tubal ligation(after delivery) 500
circumcision (after discharge). 150
observation. lesser of 50/hr or 600.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by seemorejoy: 5:22pm On Sep 20, 2014
Can anyone help me with Maricopa contact email address will be better because I contact them from the website and no respond .
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dserious: 5:43pm On Sep 20, 2014
ohk, so i arrived the U.S yesterday with my big belle (im 37 weeks). I thank God for grace; and u nairalanders, cos i applied all d tips i received here. My interestingly favored POE story goes (its long sha cos im giving every detail).....

I originally booked AirFrance because POE was Detroit (I was avoiding Atlanta and Houston POE). On wednesday i received a mail that my flight was cancelled cos of the ongoing Airfrance strike; flight was for thursday 18th. I called their office and was re-booked to Delta at no cost. I had a very stressful wednesday at hospital visit and at work-handover tinz; so i decided to upgrade to biz class wen i get to the airport.

I requested for upgrade and the kind lady that attended to me advised me to wait till i get on the plane cos d plane was not filled and its cheaper to upgrade in the aircraft before takeoff. Luckily my seat was at the back end of the plane and truly, there were some vacant seats at the back there. I was in the three seat-middle row, with one man beside me so the third seat was free. There was a vacant seat in the next row so i begged the man to move there. He first refused but obliged after a few minutes. I jeje raised the mid seat armrests, went round all the empty seats and collected pillows; and that was how i got myself a very comfy bed. I dint bother to upgrade and pay any extra money. Honestly, i had the best flight in my entire flying life cos i slept almost through the flight (moral of the story...never be ashamed to ask for favors esp wen pregnant wink, the man next to me looked quite hostile but i braved up to request him to move to the empty seat).

On arriving Atlanta, I first went into the ladies to freshen up, did lil make up and tried to psyche up confidence (dint declare at the embassy that i was pregs but i did the email tin to abuja NIV). While on the immigration queue, one white immigration guy kept looking at me, i saw he noticed my naija passport and big belle (i just dey fire prayer dey go). Fortunately, i was directed to a black american guy right next to him. White man quickly said smthing to the black american guy and the man looked up at me, nodded and continued his work. I walked up confidently, said hello and good morning pleasantly and the man just relaxed. Interview was as thus:

Man: Let me take your fingerprints
Me: (Did that, still looking all pleasant and confident)
Man: What is ur purpose for this trip (looking through my passport); while typing on the computer
Me: To rest, have my baby and shop
Man: Have you spoken to any doctor
Me: Yes I have
Man: Have you paid the hospital fees
Me: No, i requested to do that but the hospital insists they see me first before i can make payments
Man: What is the hospital fees
Me: Abt five thousand dollars
Man: How much do you have
Me: Abt nine thousand dollars
Man: Ok, make sure you pay all your hospital fees and keep ur receipts, we will ask you whenever you visit the U.S again
Man: (Stamps my passport and says) Welcome to America, and do not stay beyond this date (sometime in March 2014)
Me: Thank you (with a smile)

No secondary inspections, no counting of money, no asking to see any documents (and trust me, the documents i had on me beat Phemas burden of proof) grin

So im chilling in Maryland right now, off to phoenix over d weekend...@ Dinawe and co, i just booked crossland o, hope to hook up with u pple

And regards pregnancy time for travel, @Nita 2013 said it all. Whenever u choose to travel be it 20weeks or 39weeks, please visit ur doctor regularly before ur trip (and use good hospitals that have modern equipment). With doctor's advise; also listein to ur body cos our bodies are different). I did my last doc visit a day before i travelled, did a scan, even did one examination whr they checked for signs of contraction, baby's heartbeat and blood pressure. I rested all through thursday before flying in d evening. Did same during my last preg (i flew at 37 weeks too and was perfect). Pray and commit all to Gods hands.

Wish everyone goodluck....next report shall be frm Phoenix by Gods grace

15 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MerryMom: 6:03pm On Sep 20, 2014
Lovely POE story. Flying @37 weeks, that's gangstar! Lol grin
I plan to fly at 34 weeks tho. I understand baby can come anytime from 36 weeks. I be first timer and still naive about dates, timings, what to expect e.t.c

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 7:03pm On Sep 20, 2014
@dserious Thanks very much for this detailed account, and thank God you had a great journey. Please I have one question - did the airline give you any stress with regards to the fact that you were 37 weeks? How did you go about it?

dserious: ohk, so i arrived the U.S yesterday with my big belle (im 37 weeks). I thank God for grace; and u nairalanders, cos i applied all d tips i received here. My interestingly favored POE story goes (its long sha cos im giving every detail).....
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 7:09pm On Sep 20, 2014
Ore mi @MerryMom, how is your wkend? grin Same here @ first timer, though I plan to go at 36 weeks so I can maximize my 3 months leave sad. Also trying to figure out the timings especially when to fly back with baby so that I have enough time to settle in back home before work starts. God dey.

MerryMom: Lovely POE story. Flying @37 weeks, that's gangstar! Lol grin
I plan to fly at 34 weeks tho. I understand baby can come anytime from 36 weeks. I be first timer and still naive about dates, timings, what to expect e.t.c
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Freshface: 7:09pm On Sep 20, 2014
Dserious congrats on dat POE story! I tap into it! But mehn 37wks! Mbanu! I can't try dat sh*t mehn! U be real gangster!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 7:10pm On Sep 20, 2014
LOL grin grin

Freshface: Dserious congrats on dat POE story! I tap into it! But mehn 37wks! Mbanu! I can't try dat sh*t mehn! U be real gangster!

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dserious: 8:24pm On Sep 20, 2014
LOL @ gangster, my sister na situation dey make crayfish bend.... If i had my way, i would have flown much earlier. Theres no need taking risks o, its better safe than sorry.

AirFrance and Delta do not have strict preg flying rules (i checked their website before booking, and also asked when i was moved to Delta). I had my doc write a letter wen i was 36weeks declaring me fit to fly. At check-in, Delta asked for a photocopy of the letter; and that was it.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by raii: 8:27pm On Sep 20, 2014
GenoMI: Ore mi @MerryMom, how is your wkend? grin Same here @ first timer, though I plan to go at 36 weeks so I can maximize my 3 months leave sad. Also trying to figure out the timings especially when to fly back with baby so that I have enough time to settle in back home before work starts. God dey.

Why can't maternity leave be 6months sef. I plan yo go at 35 weeks either to Phoenix or Houston. Men, Dserious this ur POE experience was grande.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 8:32pm On Sep 20, 2014
As in ehn, I suddenly wish I was a civil servant in Lagos state, LOL grin, they get 6 months now.

raii:

Why can't maternity leave be 6months sef. I plan yo go at 35 weeks either to Phoenix or Houston. Men, Dserious this ur POE experience was grande.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by seemorejoy: 8:40pm On Sep 20, 2014
Can anyone help me with Maricopa contact email address will be better because I contact them from the website and no respond.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dserious: 9:01pm On Sep 20, 2014
you can call MIHS on this number +1 602-344-5407

This is the email of the person dat sent my email appt, u can also send her a mail...Alba.Caban@mihs.org
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by seemorejoy: 9:27pm On Sep 20, 2014
@dserious thanks so much I really appreciate I have email them and I will wait for reply.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by raii: 10:01pm On Sep 20, 2014
seemorejoy: @dserious thanks so much I really appreciate I have email them and I will wait for reply.

Maybe they are avoiding calls because of the impending price review.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by twizzie: 6:08am On Sep 21, 2014
Thanks Nita.. Quite helpful!!!!
Nita2013: Hi twizzie, my onward journey to Chicago had just 3hrs 30mins stop over in dubai so we were at d airport all tru. It's my return leg that has 16h
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by ashleybaker: 7:09am On Sep 21, 2014

@ lizcom25: People have their personal reasons why they have to wait till 35weeks or even later before travelling. Whatever reason it is, nobody prays to have a baby in a plane or in one isolated Island or even having the plane make an emergency landing then the persons name will be all over the newspaper. NOOOOOOO!!!! Please lets be careful when making comments. comments like this instill fear in peoples. God will help us all.

Nita2013:
Hi ashleybaker, I won't lie it was indeed a long flight from dubai-chicago about 14hrs 40mins (though we arrived Chicago earlier) but it was a comfortable flight because Emirates economy is d premium economy(a higher economy) of other airlines like BA. There was enough leg room so u could stretch ur legs very well. Also d crew members knew I was pregnant so they kept asking me if I was ok and kept filling my bottles with water (but toilet bcame my best friend-which was very good). U can ask for fruit as many times as u want (they will oblige u since u r pregnant). Pls do not drink anything (tea, cofee, sweet drink, fruit juice etc) apart from water. Also make sure u stand up and walk about a lot for better blood circulation (no one would stop u).
Also their movies were uncountable so u could occupy urself with some when u r not sleeping. I could not sleep though so I watched movies and walked around.
In all I enjoyed d flight as their service was exceptional.
quote author=ashleybaker]

Hi Nita2013, thanks for your detailed comment. My confident level to fly this long hours via Emirate has been boosted. I will just do as you have said. Then please you explain the dubai connect thing. Does it have to do with the hotel booking during the layover? Am lost here. help sis.

lanis:
pls note that Oakbend prices ll b reviewed too, starting from Oct 1st. here r d quotes for ur perusal
old prices new prices
Normal d(2nights) 2150. 2300
c-section(3nights). 3200. 3500
twins,each additional 500
each additional day mom 350
each additional day baby. 350
tubal ligation(after delivery) 500
circumcision (after discharge). 150
observation. lesser of 50/hr or 600.

@Lanis, this price review issue na wa ooo. All these hospitals don do meeting for our head abiii? Dr. Fagbohun didn't mention this. Is that why the circumcision fee is now 300? How much was each additional day before?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Tvegas(m): 8:16am On Sep 21, 2014
Nita2013: Hi Tvegas, I was told by my hospital in Nigeria that d rule states that d average flying time for a Preggy is 34weeks (ie 34weeks + 6days).
Congrats on your stress free POE, my wife is also leaving earlier. I don't just want us to create fear in the mind of those travelling later.
dserious: ohk, so i arrived the U.S yesterday with my big belle (im 37 weeks). I thank God for grace; and u nairalanders, cos i applied all d tips i received here.
Congrats babe, This is what I term presidential POE and I love the gangster part. Shall we elect you the rebel leader for pushing it till the 37 week and for chasing that man from his sit? grin

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by TeamclicksAir: 8:27am On Sep 21, 2014
Tvegas:
Why are you contradicting yourself? In one breath you claimed prices on airline websites are more expensive,hence people should use agents. In the last line you advice that people should book via airline websites? Which is which?. Mamacajah please buy your ticket from this guy, so he can leave me alone. Wetin grin
search this thread and quote where I referred anyone to agents or myself . If you don't have anything to say just keep mute.rather than come here to mislead people. Those sites you listed doesn't support bookings from Nigeria.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by sessibasi: 10:20am On Sep 21, 2014
Hi all. I finally registered back after d wipeout. Am back in lagos with my handsome baby boy. Got to the US 19th June, POE was JFK and was very smooth went with hubby cuz our purpose of getting d visa was our honeymoon but I still sent a mail to d embassy informing dem of my intentions and I got d general response from both lagos and abuja. The first officer asked for our purpose of visit and we told him honeymoon and i'l b staying back to have my baby, he asked if we had more than $10k with us and we said no den he warned us if dey find more dan $10k it wud b seized and we wud b fined. He also asked where we worked and we told him. He took our finger prints and stamped us in for 6months. Second inspection d guy asked for our purpose of visit and we told him d same thing, asked why we wanted to have our baby in the US and I told him healthcare compared to where am coming from is d best and we don't want to take chances, he asked for d name of the hospital and I told him, asked how we intend paying told him cash and he asked how much we had I told him and dat we also had our mastercard with us. Also asked to see hubby's ID cuz he told dem he's a custom officer and we were told to enjoy our stay. Chilled in baltimore for 10days and headed to arizona 1st of july. My appointment With MIHS was 17th July but I still headed there on d 2nd of july to try my luck and I was lucky. Initially d lady didn't want to burge but I stood there infront of her till she was forced to ask for my proof of pregnancy unfortunately I dint go to the hospital with anything except for d coloured photocopy of my passport and visa page for identification. A pregnancy test was carried out and I was referred to financial for payment. D nurse dat attended to me was soo nice she insisted dey get me appointment with financial dat day and doctors visit d very next day. She stood there till d lady was forced to get me an appointment. Went d next day n dats how my several doctors visit started. I flew at 30weeks got to mihs at 32weeks and had a total of 5doctors visit before I delivered. I went into labour at 36weeks ( for first timers dat r thinkin of travelling at 36weeks). Got to d hospital 3am on d 4th of august, had a very long labour and dey discovered I had pre-enclampsia so treatment was administered immediately to avoid seizures during labour. My boy came 7.17pm after a slow n long labour I had to b given oxytocin to make labour progress...I give God all d glory. my baby was pre-term cuz he came 36weeks 5days, 2days before 37weeks which is considered full-term. He weighed 2.46kg and dats wen all his tests started and dey told me if he dint pass any dey won't discharge him, I started praying and I told dem my baby won't go to NICU. He passed all his tests and dey even had to do a carseat test for him. Dey said dey needed to b sure he wud b able to survive well in it after discharge and he also passed it. Had to go back d next day cuz dey were still monitoring my BP and my feet were still very swollen. Took my son for his 3day check up and I was told to bring him back cuz dey wanted to b sure he's gaining weight so I took him back d following week and I had to pay for his second visit cuz d maternity package is just for 1baby visit. I left AZ 2weeks after birth. Went to tucson on a Tuesday and got his US passport, left az to baltimore on Wednesday, went to DC on friday for 9ja passport and left US for UK on sunday. Spent a week in d UK and we returned back to lagos 31st August. Dat is my story. I enjoyed each day I spent in Arizona with my wonderful august mommas and we av all become sisters and not friends any longer. I got d best treatment possible and my son also...
For those planning to travel at 36weeks i'l advise u travel early if u can cuz I never felt my baby will come at 36weeks but thank God I was already in Arizona wen I went into labour. I wish all our preggies safe flights to their destination and I pray we all carry our babies in Jesus name...

15 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MerryMom: 12:26pm On Sep 21, 2014
@sessibasi, I love stories like yours. Happy it ended all well. You sound like a very strong lady tho. From Baltimore to Tucson to Arizona to Washington DC to UK. Me, I'm finding anointing for that strength o. I tap into your anointing! Congratulations grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) ... (402)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.