Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,302 members, 7,860,739 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 03:18 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (65) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1387717 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by BnBarbie(f): 7:34pm On Jul 04, 2014
P0rtHarc0urtB0y:

What i'm not really sure about is if the appointment confirmation is "editable". if not u may have to cancel the initial appointment and schedule another one. i'm certain u can cancel it up to 2times.

@diddy11; To clarify what PH boy mentioned, If you do fill a new DS160 form, just go to your appointment scheduling profile and change the DS-160 confirmation number under personal details. It automatically changes on the appointment confirmation and you can reprint it.

@PHboy; congrats on your visa approval

@Theleakytribe, AK007 and impish on the arrival of your bundles of joy.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by BnBarbie(f): 7:38pm On Jul 04, 2014
Tmikejay: NYC POE experience.

Thank God for you oo. I sure say dem send am grin
Those pips can be really funny sha.
That is how the lady that interviewed me first tym and rejected me didn't log into the system that i said my purpose for travelling was to give birth only for the VO that interviewed me and my husband the second tym to ask how many months pregnant i was and y i didn't declare that in the first interview. I told him i did declare but he said he can't see that on the system.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by BnBarbie(f): 8:09pm On Jul 04, 2014
Dear all,

Let me also give back as i have benefited immensely also. I hope someone can pick a thing or two from my experience too.

I had earlier gone alone for interview and was denied. The lady asked me what my purpose of goin to the US was which i said was to have my baby. Then she asked if i was married, what i do and where i work, what my husband does, do i have children and then denied me. No docs checked. So we decided to try again and applied together. We went for the Visa interview yesterday and we were granted. The transcript is as follows;

VO: i'm gonna take your fingerprints starting with you sir (my hubby). Your turn maam. You are going to Phoenix, Arizona maam?
Me: Yes i am
VO: what for
Me: To have my baby
VO: How many months pregnant are you?
Me: 6 months
VO: How come you didnt declare that when you were here for your last interview?
Me: (very shocked). I did mention it. I even mentioned it in my form (i mentioned this in the space provided when asked if you have been denied a visa before). My husband also chipped in that i did mention it.
VO: What do you do sir? My husband responds with where he works and his responsibilities
VO: Do you have any correspondence with a doctor in the united states and description of costs?
Me: Yes pls (then i get my appointment confirmation from MIHS and page 4 of the maternity agreement which contains the description of charges)
VO: Where is the rest of this document? This is only page 4. Where is page 1 and the rest of it. (i remember someone on nairaland got denied wen she showed a VO the entire maternity agreement with the VO saying that contracts in US aren't what they seemed, so i didnt bother printing the entire document. And since they are never patient to read docs.)
Me: Its an agreement with many pages, that is the page with the description of charges
VO: I need something with a letter head
***All these time, He wasnt talking calmly o.
Luckily for me i had page 1 of the agreement which i had printed earlier and attached to page 4. But i detached it when i read that lady's story. But it was still in the folder. So i quickly brought it out and handed it to him.
VO: OK. Looked at it and said this is relatively cheap. So how much have you budgeted for this trip? My husband replied saying 9500 USD
Me: We have a budget spreadsheet with the cost breakdown. i quickly slipped it to him.
VO: I don't see accommodation here.
Me: its in the cost breakdown. He kept saying i don't see it, its not there. As i didnt want to talk too much na, i brought out my extended stay reservation and slipped it to him and said its on the spreadsheet, 1279 USD
VO: ok. So you'd need about 10,000 USD which is way higher that what most people earn here in Nigeria
My hubby and i: We both earn well. i said hw much i earned and my hubby followed suit. Then hubby said our combined income in Naira and den i followed suit saying the dollar equivalent.
VO: He picked up each of our passports and flipped thru. Did you both go to the UK together?
Hubby and i: No we went separately
me: But we both travelled to dubai on our honeymoon (i said that just in case his question was to see if we had travelled outside the country together before)
VO: Ok, so how long are you staying?
Hubby: she would be staying for 2 months and i would be staying for just 2 weeks
VO: OK, your visas have been approved. Please make sure you take all your documents with you as getting the visa is just the first phase. You'd likely be interviewed like this at the POE because you are visible pregnant. Pick up your visas at this location nxt wk wednesday.

***He didn't ask to see statement of account.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Alubosa: 8:45pm On Jul 04, 2014
Congrats BnBarbie. oyibo too dey follow get winch. I rmbr ur transcript in the other thread. U clearly told the VO u was going to have ur baby and then i think she asked if u know anybody in the State or something like that....no mind am! na only she waka com...congrats! Na wa o' everybody just dey share testimony
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by BnBarbie(f): 8:51pm On Jul 04, 2014
LOL.
That wasn't me tho. Twas Tchwinnie.
Thanks all the same. smiley

Alubosa:

Congrats BnBarbie. oyibo too dey follow get winch. I rmbr ur transcript in the other thread. U clearly told the VO u was going to have ur baby and then i think she asked if u know anybody in the State or something like that....no mind am! na only she waka com...congrats! Na wa o' everybody just dey share testimony
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Mollydee88: 8:58pm On Jul 04, 2014
@BnBarbie.
Congratulations on your successful Interview.. I am happy for you; and i really wish you a successful 2nd Interview at the POE..

Thank you for your response as well..

Stay blessed.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Lamisatuati: 10:03pm On Jul 04, 2014
debrixxy: congrats to impish and leaky tribe and Portharcourtboy, good news everywhere. grin
I'm here to share mine too, Indeed God is faithful. I went with my mum to Abuja for our interview and it went like this:
Vo: good morning
We: good morning. I kept eye contact with her while smiling throughout the interview.
Vo: what is your relationship with ds woman?
Me: She's my mum
Vo: where to in US?
Me: Rosenberg, Texas
Vo: Who are you going to Visit?
Me: My Uncle. & then it dawned on me that she mentioned VISIT; that's when I replied:
Me: But that's not my Purpose for going to the U.S
Vo: So what is your purpose?
Me: To have a baby
Vo: Oh ok, Is this your first child or you have others?
Me: It's my first and I want the best medical care for him. Turns to my mum & asks her
Vo: what she does, how much she earns, if she's married, what does her husband do, if she has travelled before, if it's her brother we are going to stay with? My mum gives straight answers to all of them and then she turns to me and asks.
Vo: What do you do?
Me: Right now I run a fashion label with my sister, I used to be an Operations Engr with an Oil company but I quit my job last year blc of the nature of my job; I was trying to have a baby
Vo: So how much do u earn ryt now?
Me: On d average of N50,000 monthly, but my Husband Is the one sponsoring
Vo: So what does he do & where does he work?
We: He's an ICT Administrator with ******
Vo: Turns to my mum and asks who's sponsoring her?
Mum: My son-in-law, her husband.
Vo: Turns to me and asks: Have you ever travelled out before?
Me: No, I've never really had any reason to.
Vo: How long and when do you intend to travel to the U.S
Me: 11weeks from July 22nd
Vo: Have you made contact with any Doctor?
Me: Yes, I hand over the email correspondence with Dr. fagbohun and the bill attachment.
Vo: No I just want to see the cost.
Me: It's on the 2nd page, and while she's studying it I mention that I have a budget spreadsheet and hand it over.
Vo: Studying it and nodding her head says: Your visa has been approved and gave us d white paper, u can pick it up on Monday.
Mum and I walked out smiling which attracted all the security guards to beg us for money. lol grin

I want to add that HONESTY pays a lot; Only the Doctor's bill was asked for, I pointed out that I had a budget sheet while handing it over, she looked rather impressed with it. Please go with your Budget sheet, very important cos it shows how prepared you are.

I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to this great forum and to our success especially Miri7b5n cos we exchanged emails and she kept giving me tips & encouragement.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL. wink
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by omoniyi555: 2:16am On Jul 05, 2014
BnBarbie: Dear all,

Let me also give back as i have benefited immensely also. I hope someone can pick a thing or two from my experience too.

I had earlier gone alone for interview and was denied. The lady asked me what my purpose of goin to the US was which i said was to have my baby. Then she asked if i was married, what i do and where i work, what my husband does, do i have children and then denied me. No docs checked. So we decided to try again and applied together. We went for the Visa interview yesterday and we were granted. The transcript is as follows;

VO: i'm gonna take your fingerprints starting with you sir (my hubby). Your turn maam. You are going to Phoenix, Arizona maam?
We that live in the US does not know the rigor people go through to come over. i did appreciate you gut for not giving up and congratulation.
Me: (very shocked). I did mention it. I even mentioned it in my form (i mentioned this in the space provided when asked if you have been denied a visa before). My husband also chipped in that i did mention it.
VO: What do you do sir? My husband responds with where he works and his responsibilities
VO: Do you have any correspondence with a doctor in the united states and description of costs?
Me: Yes pls (then i get my appointment confirmation from MIHS and page 4 of the maternity agreement which contains the description of charges)
VO: Where is the rest of this document? This is only page 4. Where is page 1 and the rest of it. (i remember someone on nairaland got denied wen she showed a VO the entire maternity agreement with the VO saying that contracts in US aren't what they seemed, so i didnt bother printing the entire document. And since they are never patient to read docs.)
Me: Its an agreement with many pages, that is the page with the description of charges
Luckily for me i had page 1 of the agreement which i had printed earlier and attached to page 4. But i detached it when i read that lady's story. But it was still in the folder. So i quickly brought it out and handed it to him.
VO: OK. Looked at it and said this is relatively cheap. So how much have you budgeted for this trip? My husband replied saying 9500 USD
Me: We have a budget spreadsheet with the cost breakdown. i quickly slipped it to him.
Me: its in the cost breakdown. He kept saying i don't see it, its not there. As i didnt want to talk too much na, i brought out my extended stay reservation and slipped it to him and said its on the spreadsheet, 1279 USD
VO: ok. So you'd need about 10,000 USD which is way higher that what most people earn here in Nigeria
My hubby and i: We both earn well. i said hw much i earned and my hubby followed suit. Then hubby said our combined income in Naira and den i followed suit saying the dollar equivalent.
VO: He picked up each of our passports and flipped thru. Did you both go to the UK together?
me: But we both travelled to dubai on our honeymoon (i said that just in case his question was to see if we had travelled outside the country together before)
Hubby: she would be staying for 2 months and i would be staying for just 2 weeks
VO: OK, your visas have been approved. Please make sure you take all your documents with you as getting the visa is just the first phase. You'd likely be interviewed like this at the POE because you are visible pregnant. Pick up your visas at this location nxt wk wednesday.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by IyawoToBe(f): 8:29am On Jul 05, 2014
Congratulations bnbarbie
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Lamisatuati: 10:02am On Jul 05, 2014
@bnbarbie please need your assistance it's quite urgent. Thank you
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by olaomo: 1:59pm On Jul 05, 2014
@BnBarbie(f) congrats on your visa success, could you please help with the extended stay appartment you booked ? I also looking to also book one cos I intend using Dr fagbohun too
Thanks

Dear all,

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Ehido(m): 2:57pm On Jul 05, 2014
Hello Guys,

Thanks to all of u for all the info on this thread.

My wife is 15 weeks gone in her pregnancy, we've decided that we want to have the baby in the USA.

From what i have read on this thread, having a baby in houston is cheaper because they have good packages, the thing is she has a sister in colorado. I'ld like to also know if there are suitable hospitals one can call and follow up over there

Also is it too late to start the planning at 15 weeks, can we say we are going for holiday instead of stating that we want to have the baby there? My wife hasnt travelled out of Nigeria before how does that affect her chances even though i have travelled out of Nigeria and work for an American company in Nigeria and can show proof that i can foot all the bills. can we get the visa with the intention of staying in colorado but instead stay on our own in houston?

If I want to apply for visa with the intent of stating that we want to have our baby in america, wht documents will I have to show to back up the application.

Thanks all in aniticipation.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by aye88: 3:37pm On Jul 05, 2014
Ehido: Hello Guys,

Thanks to all of u for all the info on this thread.

My wife is 15 weeks gone in her pregnancy, we've decided that we want to have the baby in the USA.

From what i have read on this thread, having a baby in houston is cheaper because they have good packages, the thing is she has a sister in colorado. I'ld like to also know if there are suitable hospitals one can call and follow up over there

Also is it too late to start the planning at 15 weeks, can we say we are going for holiday instead of stating that we want to have the baby there? My wife hasnt travelled out of Nigeria before how does that affect her chances even though i have travelled out of Nigeria and work for an American company in Nigeria and can show proof that i can foot all the bills. can we get the visa with the intention of staying in colorado but instead stay on our own in houston?

If I want to apply for visa with the intent of stating that we want to have our baby in america, wht documents will I have to show to back up the application.

Thanks all in aniticipation.

Apply for a medical visa which comes under the b1/b2 category. But prior to this, choose an affordable hospital where u will want to have ur baby. There are some previously mentioned on this thread. Take d pain to read thru u will find hospitals in houston that oda people on this thread have used. Book an appointment with then and u will ne sent a confirmation or email correspondence as the case may be. U will take this to the embassy when u apply. Also make reservations for ir hotel accommodation. U will find suggestion of accommodation on this thread. Just read thru frm beginning. Also u cam do a spreadsheet of all budget, this u will also take to d embassy. Other documents arr ur bank account statement, ur wife's own or depending on who's sponsoring the trip btw u both.
I will stop here. But make sure u read thru d thread u will find all ur answers there
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Tvegas(m): 4:51pm On Jul 05, 2014
I have noticed that couples who attend B1/B2 interview together have a higher success rate than singles. I don't understand the logic behind their thought. Using BnBarbie as a case study. Why do americans view couples more favorably?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Ibtisam24: 6:50pm On Jul 05, 2014
Dear Mams and Dads which airlines did you fly with inside US? And how many bags is allowed to take with you or chick in ? Thank you
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by aye88: 7:23pm On Jul 05, 2014
Ibtisam24: Dear Mams and Dads which airlines did you fly with inside US? And how many bags is allowed to take with you or chick in ? Thank you

American airways, US airways, united. Ive flown united frm chicago to washington and I was allowed only one bag for free. Paid for my second bag. For american airways I was allowed to carry in two bags free. I think ot depends on the airline. They usually have it written on their website when u re booking
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nochid: 7:50pm On Jul 05, 2014
Ibtisam24: Dear Mams and Dads which airlines did you fly with inside US? And how many bags is allowed to take with you or chick in ? Thank you
Southwest also do not charge for two checked in bags, anything above that will be charged.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Ibtisam24: 9:33pm On Jul 05, 2014
Thank you so much for answers I can read rules in airlines site but I need experience from house,one time I was in London and read ithey allow 2 bags with Ryanair but at airport they said to me yes you pay for 2 bags but with weigh.t it's was hard to pay unexpected fees.thanx
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by stepedie: 9:35pm On Jul 05, 2014
Hello House,
Please i'll like to confirm if the fit to fly letter has to be typed or it can be handwritten, signed and stamped by the doctor.
Which is acceptable please.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by acube2002: 11:29pm On Jul 05, 2014
Hi ,

Am new in the group i will appreciate if someone can drop a prototype of the budget for me pls
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MiddyO(f): 5:23am On Jul 06, 2014
Hi everyone, I just want to say a big thank you to all the amazing people on this thread. My husband and I went for our interview on the 3rd of July in Lagos (10am) and our visas were granted to the glory of God. The thread got us prepared (especially me) as my hubby thought I was being too meticulous by studying Nairaland, but it all paid off on the long run, because I ended up preparing him using info from this page, before the crash. I told God I would come back on here to testify ( I only just registered yesterday as a user) smiley. I had been refused 3 times before as a single lady, despite my travel history. Hubby hadn't been to the US (though I went as a child).

The interview went this way-

VO: You are Misss.... and he is Mr.... (my maiden name on my passport)
WE: yes we are. (keeping eye contact but not over smiling)

VO: You are going to Texas?
Hubby: Yes

VO: what for?
Hubby: To have our first child

VO: where?
Hubby: Del Sol Medical Center El PAso (apparently the name on our letter of medical responsibility is different, but that didn't matter)

VO: why?
Hubby: Because its safe and tailored towards international patients.

VO: How did you hear about this hospital?
Hubby: We did a research online and found great reviews about the hospital

VO: Do you have a letter from the hospital?
Hubby: Yes. I hand over the letter of medical responsibility sent by the hospital. (containing the cost breakdown, and the fact that we made a deposit, my due date and my first appointment)

VO: Did you consider hospitals in other countries?
ME: No, only the US and Nigeria (unexpected question, but we scaled it)

VO: So what's your budget for this trip?
Hubby: told her ( i bring out the budget sheet we prepared. (in WORD format) told her the amount in dollars and naira, but she didn't ask to see it.

VO: turns to hubby.What do you do?
Hubby: I work at.......

VO: What's your position there?
Hubby: Tells her

VO: How much do u earn?
Hubby: Tells her

VO: (turns to me) What do u do?
Me: I tell her

VO: What's your monthly income?
ME: I tell her

VO: Do you have your Bank Statements?
Hubby: Yes we hand over both. ( his and mine, though we stated in the form that hubby was sponsoring) (she looks at it for 10 seconds and hands it back)

VO: Do you have all the money you require for this trip?
Hubby: Not all, but thereabout. ( we say how much we have combined at the moment)

VO: Have you traveled TOGETHER before? (I think this is a norm now for couples)
WE: Yes. Kenya for our honeymoon.
I: but we have been to different countries separately
VO: Asks hubby where?
Hubby: Says where he has been. But she didn't ask me anything so I didn't volunteer any information, though I had been to 5 countries and did my Masters in the UK.

VO: Your visas have been approved, make sure you have all your documents, financials etc. at POE, because they reserve the discretion to let you in.
WE: Yes, thank you!

She also asked who my contact is in the US Told her my maternal uncle, and she confirmed his address. That's all!

Salient points I gathered from Nairaland-

Be prepared, do your proper research( study this thread like you are going for an exam and take notes along the way, have all your documents on hand, including your budget break down.
Be honest, right from the point of filling your form.
Be confident at the interview but not over familiar (they are human beings just like us)
Dress well and look nice( not over dressed though)
Most importantly pray for God's favour which is the ultimate.

Best of luck for upcoming interviews! El Pasobound mamas to be in Oct/Nov please holla!

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Blesyn83: 7:07am On Jul 06, 2014
I just want to say thank u to all who contributed in one way or the order, on this thread. God bless us all.
I'm reporting from phoenix live and direct
My POE experience.
When they announced we would b landing shortly, I felt like throwing up out of fear, cos I lied abt my pregnancy to the VO from day one, I was already shaking. Nonetheless I prayed and kept asking God for fa our.
Finally, got to the queue, and behold my turn
Bo: wat are you here for
Me: for birthing and shopping
Bo: finger procedure
And that was it stamped in for 6months.
Second clearance, where I dropped the form, I gave the lady and she said I could go, but called me back for secondary clearance since I had 10k on me.
Bo2: was attending to someone else, smiled at me to b patient, I nodded, wen he was tru
Bo2: handed me a form to feel and said he would not want to stress me and circled the relevant places for me to fill, told me I could ask him any question I don't understand.
Me: finished and was giving back the form
Bo2: so u own a provision shop
Me: no, I supply household items, eg. Microwave, electric jugs etc
Bo2: is it the first time u are traveling wit so much cash
Me: yes
Bo2: u can go, enjoy your stay, welcome to America.
In surprise I was wondering if there was another check, but that was it. I no fit stop smiling

Thank you all for your candid advice and contributions
God is good. In everything put God first. Let his perfect will be done grin grin grin[/color][color=#770077]

8 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by aye88: 10:01am On Jul 06, 2014
Blesyn83: I just want to say thank u to all who contributed in one way or the order, on this thread. God bless us all.
I'm reporting from phoenix live and direct
My POE experience.
When they announced we would b landing shortly, I felt like throwing up out of fear, cos I lied abt my pregnancy to the VO from day one, I was already shaking. Nonetheless I prayed and kept asking God for fa our.
Finally, got to the queue, and behold my turn
Bo: wat are you here for
Me: for birthing and shopping
Bo: finger procedure
And that was it stamped in for 6months.
Second clearance, where I dropped the form, I gave the lady and she said I could go, but called me back for secondary clearance since I had 10k on me.
Bo2: was attending to someone else, smiled at me to b patient, I nodded, wen he was tru
Bo2: handed me a form to feel and said he would not want to stress me and circled the relevant places for me to fill, told me I could ask him any question I don't understand.
Me: finished and was giving back the form
Bo2: so u own a provision shop
Me: no, I supply household items, eg. Microwave, electric jugs etc
Bo2: is it the first time u are traveling wit so much cash
Bo2: u can go, enjoy your stay, welcome to America.
In surprise I was wondering if there was another check, but that was it. I no fit stop smiling

Thank you all for your candid advice and contributions
God is good. In everything put God first. Let his perfect will be done grin grin grin[/color][color=#770077]

Whaooooo. This was God's favour at its peak

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by AyaSho(f): 12:10pm On Jul 06, 2014
Hello house, it's bin a while we all said something. How are we doing? Papas and mama.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by skinydudu: 12:49pm On Jul 06, 2014
Thanks for all d info circulating on this website. I have a b1/b2 visa which I used earlier this year for the purpose of clinical attachment. I will like to use it next year to have a baby In d US. DO I need to entertain fears about tough time at POE?or what do I need to put in place to avert having a tough time at POE?

does anybody have an idea of cost of having a baby in Los Angeles, California?

I look forward to getting responses soon!!!

thank you all for keeping this forum alive?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dakotchic(f): 4:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
@blesyn83,please which accommodation arrangements do you have in phoenix? I hope to be @MIHS in October but accommodation is so expensive as per extended stay america- almost 3500USD.
BTW thanks to all the very kind contributors on this thread,been a silent follower and just registered today,y'all deserve kiss
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nochid: 6:47pm On Jul 06, 2014
@Stepedie: I think the letter should be typed, it'll look official.Besides it's gonna be on the letter headed paper of whatever hospital you using, i'm sure no hospital will want to give you something of such.
@Skinydudu: as earlier mentioned, when you're ready, just send a mail to the embassy, and you'll get the automated response, and that should do for the purpose of POE.
@dakotchic: crossland seems to be the most pocket friendly, and alot of folks I'm here seems to go there, you can try on this line +1 888-844-0952.
Best wishes.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by stepedie: 7:00pm On Jul 06, 2014
Tmikejay: NYC POE experience.

First of all, no one should under estimate the God's role in our/their lives.

Second, as emphasized several times here, honesty pays.

To the main gist.

Border officer: Good morning, why are you in America today?

Me: My wife is here to have our baby, while I am here on vacation.

BO: NO, YOU CANNOT DO THAT! (Emphatically) (in my mind, I said chai, them send you)

I however smiled and calmly responded that its for medical reasons being our first child, we didn't want to take chances.

At the same time, I brought out the Doctor's medical responsibility letter and payment receipt for the Doctor.

He studies it.

BO: $2500 for Doctor, that's not possible.

I smile again.

Me: that's what the Doctor charges and besides, we still have to pay the hospital charges.

BO: How are you going to pay that?

Me: we have $$$ on us (less than 10k) and also have visa & master cards

BO: Where do you work?

Me: xyz coy

BO: so Madam you don't work?

My wife: I do, xyz coy.

BO: so you still work despite being pregnant?

My wife: yes I do and now I'm on leave.

He hands back the payment document and says he wants my thumb prints (both fingers) and pictures.

He still hadn't stamped me and he still held on to the Dr's responsibility letter.

BO: how many times have we been to the USA?

Me: I've been here 4 times and my wife/I together once.

He requests for my Wife's right hand thumb prints.

He then says, he will need to verify from our Dr. If my Wife is her patient.

I say go ahead you may do so.

He says, we should follow him to a room nearby.

(The above took about 5-7minutes and I looked around, everyone had been cleared, they are very fast in NYC, I must say)

Before we entered the room, he turns and says, we should remove money and valuables.

I remove a bundle of $$$, he sees it and says nothing.

Inside the room, there were four officers behind a counter like Zenith bank counters, he drops our passport and the letter on the Black officer's tray and leaves the room.

After 5 minutes, the officer waves me over.

BO-2: what did my colleague want me to do?

Me: he wants you to verify if my Wife is a patient of the Dr.

He looks at the document.

BO-2: I see she's giving birth in Texas?

BO-2: how are you going to pay?

Me: cash, we have $$$ on us.

BO-2: did you tell him that?

Me: yes I did.

He turns to his colleagues and say can you imagine BO-1 didn't mention that they are paying cash and that they even have money on them, why the hell is he wasting my time, does he think we aren't busy here. Can't he just make a simple decision.

He immediately stamps our passports and says welcome to America and safe delivery.

Me: Thank you.

We got our bags and headed into NYC to enjoy our baby moon (vacation before the baby)

That's our story.

It's God's doing.

Our advice is to commit your ways to God and also come prepared.

We had the following documents ready in two separate files (one for me, one for my wife)

- return tickets
- letter of responsibility from the Dr.
- payment receipt for delivery (Dr's fees)
- appointment date with the Dr.
- email reply from Embassy (as advised on this forum, we previously went on vacation with this visa and then she wasn't pregnant)
- bank statements (mine and hers)
- maternity leave from her coy
- Naira/$ exchange rate history from a website (to show the average exchange rate if asked to confirm how much we have)
- copy of marriage certificate (her passport is still in her maiden name)

Hope our story helps someone out there, the way we learnt from major contributors of this forum.

Thank you all.

Congrats Tmkejay.
Please i'll like to confirm if your fit to fly letter was typed or handwritten cos mine is handwritten,signed and stamped.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dakotchic(f): 7:33pm On Jul 06, 2014
@nochid. Thanks so much
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by BnBarbie(f): 7:35pm On Jul 06, 2014
Hi. I'm not using Dr Fagbohun. I'm going to Phoenix.

Congrats Blesyn88

olaomo:
@BnBarbie(f) congrats on your visa success, could you please help with the extended stay appartment you booked ? I also looking to also book one cos I intend using Dr fagbohun too
Thanks

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Blesyn83: 8:12pm On Jul 06, 2014
dakotchic: @blesyn83,please which accommodation arrangements do you have in phoenix? I hope to be @MIHS in October but accommodation is so expensive as per extended stay america- almost 3500USD.
BTW thanks to all the very kind contributors on this thread,been a silent follower and just registered today,y'all deserve kiss
i

I'm using extended stay America , biltmore, phoenix.
It's abt 3500k for 3months o!

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (402)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.