Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:42 PM

"Magic Is Inborn, You Can't Learn It" - Babs Cardini - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / "Magic Is Inborn, You Can't Learn It" - Babs Cardini (446 Views)

Magician Babs Cardini: Magic Cant Change Nigeria's Economy / Davido Dazzled By Babs Cardini, A 19-Year-Old Magician (Video) / Babs Cardini, The Magician: Daddy Freeze Meets 19-Year-Old Nigerian Magician (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

"Magic Is Inborn, You Can't Learn It" - Babs Cardini by mantosa(m): 5:19pm On Oct 12, 2020
Magician and Illusionist, Babatunde Kasunmu popularly known as Babs Cardini is navigating a relatively uncharted space with his brand of magic, drawing equal measures of skepticism and wonder as feedback.

Babs Cardini who got his unique alias from shortening his first name, Babatunde to ‘Babs’ and compressing ‘Card Genie’ his affectionate alias into ‘Cardini,’ believes without a doubt that magic is an African expression.

“Magic has always been a part of our African culture and heritage. It was a major part of the exhibition when the country opened Festac 77, so I am surprised to see the skepticism from people. Moreover, long after the Festac 77′ exhibition there remained a prominent individual by name “Prof Peller” so it’s clear that I am only picking up where the famous late Prof. Peller left off,” he offers.

On his most recurring criticism leveled by a spectator, the 20 year old illusionist has a well-stacked list.

“There are several, but the most prominent is the saying from individuals that the art form has to do with spirituality, in layman’s terms voodoo/juju/jazz. It’s so sad hearing remarks like that continuously,” he explains.

On the light bulb moment that led to his pursuit of magic, Babs Cardini explains his long-standing fascination for the controversial art form.

“The reality of wanting to become a magician materialized fully when i was 16, but as a 5 year old i had always been fascinated with the magical world,” he explains.

Becoming Babs Cardini

The streets of Lagos is a strange place to perform magic, with its odd assortment of characters that are highly unpredictable, but Babs Cardini has ventured within its depth in a bid to acquire an authentic street fan base.

A quick movement of the hand, a repeated instruction to watch closely and without warning magic is made right in front of the crowd. Reactions vary from person to person but Babs Cardini agrees that the feedback is vaguely the same; amazement. And like every entertainer, he revels in the feedback when it is offered without bias.

“There is this satisfactory feeling after a performance and the people you performed to get wowed and amazed without having any form of biased mindset towards it, but see it as a creative work of art.”

With only four active years as a magician, a practiced eye can still see a distinct similarity between the fast-rising, blond-haired Nigerian magician and one of the most celebrated magicians of our time; Dynamo.

“My influence comes from all magicians, big and small, known or unknown by people, for each one has a special thing up their sleeve. But my major influence is “Dynamo” who is one of the greats in this era.”

The Gift of Magic

“One doesn’t learn magic. You can learn a trick or two, perform illusions but magic can’t be learnt!”

source: https://tushmagazine.com.ng/babs-cardini-demystifying-magic-in-africa/

cc
lalasticlala, mynd44, dominique

Re: "Magic Is Inborn, You Can't Learn It" - Babs Cardini by Kccheechy(m): 5:54pm On Oct 12, 2020
Festac 77 is the major root of Nigeria's problems. We allowed demons from other parts of Africa to be dumped here in Nigeria in the guise of celebrating "art and culture". Spirts of various peculiarity filled those deities we allowed to be brought here. Unfortunately those demons have settled everywhere in Nigeria. Tell me why things should get better?

(1) (Reply)

‘Open Eye’ makes us think British/ American accent is intelligence - 2Face / Congratulations To Woli Arole As He Was Officially Unveiled As Brand Ambassador / Google Year In Search 2020: Most Popular Google Searches In Nigeria — Full List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.