Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,942 members, 7,952,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:54 AM

Police Most Corrupt Institution In Nigeria, Survey Reveals - Guardian, 2019 - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Most Corrupt Institution In Nigeria, Survey Reveals - Guardian, 2019 (340 Views)

SS1 Student Arrested For Lacing Guardian's Food With Rat Poison In Ogun (Photo) / Yahoo Boys Killed Dagan Laetitia Naankang, Burnt Her Body - Guardian / This Boy Was Maltreated By His Guardian's Boyfriend (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Most Corrupt Institution In Nigeria, Survey Reveals - Guardian, 2019 by protests: 6:55pm On Oct 12, 2020
A new survey released by the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) yesterday exposed high levels of sleaze in public institutions nationwide in the last five years with the police emerging the most corrupt.
According to the document, entitled, “Nigeria: Corruption Perception Survey”, of the five major public establishments surveyed, the power sector came second.

Others indicted of the bug by the 70 per cent of Nigerians sampled are the judiciary, education and health ministries.

Unveiled in Lagos by the group’s deputy director, Kolawole Oluwadare, the report noted: “A bribe is paid in 54 per cent of interactions with the police.

In fact, there is a 63 per cent probability that an average Nigerian would be asked to pay a bribe each time he or she interacted with the police. That is almost two out of three.”

The chairman of the event, Professor Akin Oyebode, submitted: “Nigeria is looked upon as a giant of Africa. Yet Nigeria could not conduct free, fair and credible elections. It is a smear on the image of the country. If we do away with selective enforcement and condonation of corruption, we will build and live in a better society.

“Corruption is a refined form of stealing. The politicians are stealing our common patrimony. Development of the people is almost inversely proportional to the level of corruption.”

The report read in part: “Corruption remains a significant impediment to law enforcement, access to justice and basic public services such as affordable healthcare, education, and electricity supply. Several Nigerians have to pay a bribe to access police, judiciary, power, education and health services. Corruption is still a key concern in the country with 70 per cent of Nigerians describing the level of corruption as high and in the same measure in the last five years.”

The national survey carried out between September and December 2018, covered the police, judiciary, power, education and health sectors to assess the state of corruption in law enforcement and public service provision.

The document advised the Federal Government to establish an independent commission of inquiry to conduct a transparent, comprehensive and impartial investigation into systemic graft in the affected institutions.

https://guardian.ng/news/police-most-corrupt-institution-in-nigeria-survey-reveals/
Re: Police Most Corrupt Institution In Nigeria, Survey Reveals - Guardian, 2019 by protests: 6:56pm On Oct 12, 2020
Fighting corruption without fighting police corruption is madness.

Re: Police Most Corrupt Institution In Nigeria, Survey Reveals - Guardian, 2019 by ThreeEyedRaven: 6:59pm On Oct 12, 2020
True but I know of a few good ones in the system. Maimaganinl Gimba Ayuba is a distinguished police officer. I think he's somewhere in Zamfara.
Then Patricia Amadin, the DPO of Oshodi police station whom I also knew through Gimba ..she's another distinguished police officer. There are still a few left out there that are professional.
Re: Police Most Corrupt Institution In Nigeria, Survey Reveals - Guardian, 2019 by Completelife: 7:01pm On Oct 12, 2020
All institutions in Nigeria are very corrupt exception of few individuals
Re: Police Most Corrupt Institution In Nigeria, Survey Reveals - Guardian, 2019 by protests: 7:02pm On Oct 12, 2020
No counter to that. I concur.
I hope you keep enjoying a 'smooth' and 'happy' view of these ones in future.

ThreeEyedRaven:
True but I know of a few good ones in the system. Maimaganinl Gimba Ayuba is a distinguished police officer. I think he's somewhere in Zamfara.
Then Patricia Amadin, the DPO of Oshodi police station whom I also knew through Gimba ..she's another distinguished police officer. There are still a few left out there that are professional.

Re: Police Most Corrupt Institution In Nigeria, Survey Reveals - Guardian, 2019 by ThreeEyedRaven: 7:08pm On Oct 12, 2020
protests:
No counter to that. I concur.
I hope you keep enjoying a 'smooth' and 'happy' view of these ones in future.

Yeah, I already had a chat with her this evening and I told her the country can only be better with people like her but however they are of insignificant number to cause the desired change we need. We can only pray for their protection
Re: Police Most Corrupt Institution In Nigeria, Survey Reveals - Guardian, 2019 by Ever8090: 7:35pm On Oct 12, 2020
I no sure say them corrupt reach NDDC , presidency and governors across the 36 state in Nigeria..

(1) (Reply)

Police Told You #endsars Shot 3 Of Their Men; Your Children Will Laugh At You! / Good News: From Streets To The Office Davido Say After Indoor Meeting With Igp O / My Dad Forces Me To Watch Adult Movies And Then Rapes Me 13-years Girl Narrates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.