Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,606 members, 7,809,219 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

What's The Price Of Life In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's The Price Of Life In Nigeria? (369 Views)

PPPRA: We No Longer Fix The Price Of Petrol / Dino Melaye At His Mother's Burial: "The Vanity Of Life" / Re-elect Buhari If You Got Better Life In The Past Four Years ~ Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Price Of Life In Nigeria? by Rex123(m): 4:24pm On Oct 14, 2020
For the last couple of days, Nigerian youths have taken to the street to protest police brutality. Police brutality isn't a new topic, it has been ravaging the country for decades now. Basically all Nigerian forces brutalize Nigerians and the youths have finally had a enough and took to the streets in major States of the federation to demand reforms and end to the barbaric Special Anti Robbery Squad.

In the heat of the protests, the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu took the demands of the protesters to present to the president of the federation. While having a discussion with the president, the governor listed out the demands of the protestors and the president laughed when he heard the demands for compensation for the lost lifes.

Shocking! The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria laughed at the demand of compensation of lost lifes, lifes that were taken by officers of the forces during a peaceful protest. Was the demand so unreasonable that the president couldn't help but make a mockery of it?
The now viral video has drawn different reactions on social media, many are saying the president didn't understand the demands and wasn't insensitive to the plights of the common man.

But the video dropped a question in my mind, `` what's the cost of life in Nigeria? " I have lived all my life in the country, for has long as I can remember the common man life in Nigeria doesn't have value. The common man is disposable, when you think about how the ruling class have ruled this country, you get an understanding of why our military and paramilitary organisation don't value our lifes and brutalize and kill us at will.

The Nigerian society also suffers from severe case of classism. This is evident in how the protesters were treated in Lagos, while the protest on the island was relatively peace and wasn't met with brute and deadly force, protest on the street of mainland Lagos was marred with deadly force with many of the protesters arrested and brutally assaulted. This begs the question, why were the protesters on the island treated with dignity and those of the mainland had their civil liberty trampled up?

From the government inability to provided basic social amenities such as quality health care services to the poor funding of our educational institutions. The rich and the ruling class are making sure we and our children can never challenge their hierarchy making our lives miserable, while they go on and enjoy the best things life can offer.

The life of a common man doesn't hold any value, the actions of the government and the ruling class towards the plights of the common man always re-enforces it. Something that makes me happy is the political awaken of the Nigerian youth and its determination to better the country, as one of the placards of the protest read, ``Canada isn't my homeland, I have to better nigeria".

The momentum of these protests shouldn't die but develop into a political movement, the use of social media has shown the power the masses have. That power should be used to wrestle power from the political antediluvian.

Osahon Osaigbovo writes from Ibadan
Re: What's The Price Of Life In Nigeria? by Kingnutts(m): 4:28pm On Oct 14, 2020
i think it's valued lesser than an ak47 bullet, we have to speak up.. #ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY
Re: What's The Price Of Life In Nigeria? by Righteousness89(m): 4:29pm On Oct 14, 2020
That's Deep!
Very Deep Question..
Re: What's The Price Of Life In Nigeria? by cocolacec(m): 5:57am On Oct 15, 2020
Rex123:

For the last couple of days, Nigerian youths have taken to the street to protest police brutality. Police brutality isn't a new topic, it has been ravaging the country for decades now. Basically all Nigerian forces brutalize Nigerians and the youths have finally had a enough and took to the streets in major States of the federation to demand reforms and end to the barbaric Special Anti Robbery Squad.

In the heat of the protests, the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu took the demands of the protesters to present to the president of the federation. While having a discussion with the president, the governor listed out the demands of the protestors and the president laughed when he heard the demands for compensation for the lost lifes.

Shocking! The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria laughed at the demand of compensation of lost lifes, lifes that were taken by officers of the forces during a peaceful protest. Was the demand so unreasonable that the president couldn't help but make a mockery of it?
The now viral video has drawn different reactions on social media, many are saying the president didn't understand the demands and wasn't insensitive to the plights of the common man.

But the video dropped a question in my mind, `` what's the cost of life in Nigeria? " I have lived all my life in the country, for has long as I can remember the common man life in Nigeria doesn't have value. The common man is disposable, when you think about how the ruling class have ruled this country, you get an understanding of why our military and paramilitary organisation don't value our lifes and brutalize and kill us at will.

The Nigerian society also suffers from severe case of classism. This is evident in how the protesters were treated in Lagos, while the protest on the island was relatively peace and wasn't met with brute and deadly force, protest on the street of mainland Lagos was marred with deadly force with many of the protesters arrested and brutally assaulted. This begs the question, why were the protesters on the island treated with dignity and those of the mainland had their civil liberty trampled up?

From the government inability to provided basic social amenities such as quality health care services to the poor funding of our educational institutions. The rich and the ruling class are making sure we and our children can never challenge their hierarchy making our lives miserable, while they go on and enjoy the best things life can offer.

The life of a common man doesn't hold any value, the actions of the government and the ruling class towards the plights of the common man always re-enforces it. Something that makes me happy is the political awaken of the Nigerian youth and its determination to better the country, as one of the placards of the protest read, ``Canada isn't my homeland, I have to better nigeria".

The momentum of these protests shouldn't die but develop into a political movement, the use of social media has shown the power the masses have. That power should be used to wrestle power from the political antediluvian.

Osahon Osaigbovo writes from Ibadan

Solution Govt should provide medical insurance and life insurance for all Nigerians.

(1) (Reply)

ENDSARS I Meet The First Victim Of Police Brutality In Nigeria / COVID-19: Governors Received1.1billion From World Bank Expect Me – Yahaya Bello / N2b Fraud: Maina Goes Underground, Cuts Off Contact With Associates, Surety

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.