Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,300 members, 7,815,538 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:11 PM

Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 (4305 Views)

LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business / Apple Announces Plans To Shut Down The Itunes Music Platform / 2019 Whatsapp Groups To Join (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by BrandSpurNG: 9:05am On Oct 15, 2020
Yahoo has announced that its 19-year-old service platform Yahoo Groups will shut down on December 15, 2020, after a steady decline in usage.
Verizon which took ownership of Yahoo in 2017 made this announcement known on Tuesday via the Yahoo Groups website and emails sent to Yahoo Group users.

”Yahoo Groups has made the decision to shut down as of December 15. Yahoo Groups has seen a steady decline in usage over the last several years. Over that same period, we’ve witnessed unprecedented levels of engagement across our properties as customers seek out premium, trustworthy content.”, the group stated in a message on its website.

”While these decisions are never easy, we must sometimes make difficult decisions regarding products that no longer fit our long-term strategy as we hone our focus on other areas of the business, the message read further.

Yahoo Groups was launched in early 2001 as an integration of technology from eGroups.com and Yahoo Clubs but rising competition from social media community platforms like Facebook and Google has led to the loss in its once-massive userbase.

The message further stated that the creation of new groups will be disabled as of October 12 while users will no longer be able to send and receive emails from Yahoo Groups. as well as the inaccessibility of the website from December 15th.

“Thank you for helping us build one of the earliest digital communities — we’re proud and honoured to have forged countless connections over the last 20 years and played a small part in helping build your communities,” the Yahoo Group concluded.

SOURCE:https://brandspurng.com/2020/10/14/yahoo-groups-to-shut-down-december-15/

2 Likes

Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by DWJOBScom(m): 9:09am On Oct 15, 2020
Bye!
When you took out messenger and the community that came with it , you lost me
When you lost the opportunity to sell to Microsoft , i know something was wrong with your innovation team.
You guys had the future going well for you but let the money bags dictate your moves.....
I guess YAHOO wasn't meant to last at all

7 Likes

Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by Makavelli25: 9:13am On Oct 15, 2020
DWJOBScom:
Bye!
When you lost the opportunity to sell to Microsoft , i know something was wrong with your innovation team.
you guys had the future going well for you but let the money bags dictate your moves.....
exactly
they fukked up with the messenger.
now where will all my mail go to

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by madridguy(m): 9:16am On Oct 15, 2020
Yahoo Incorporation: Giant of all websites now Ant of all websites grin They're just like Nokia. From grace to grass. Yahoo biggest error was closing Yahoo chat room.

9 Likes

Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by Starboytwo(m): 10:11am On Oct 15, 2020
Yahoo closing keh, wetin boys go con dey chop.
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 15, 2020
madridguy:
Yahoo Incorporation: Giant of all websites now Ant of all websites grin They're just like Nokia. From grace to grass. Yahoo biggest error was closing Yahoo chat room.

Beer parlour analyst

5 Likes

Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by Shortyy(f): 12:12pm On Oct 15, 2020
Argh that's my Nairaland email o
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by MagmaPower: 1:06pm On Oct 15, 2020
How slawomir damn niggar go chop now sad ?
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by doggedfighter(f): 1:22pm On Oct 15, 2020
MagmaPower:
How slawomir damn niggar go chop now sad ?
Dem don ban SARS for am , he go choo grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by doggedfighter(f): 1:22pm On Oct 15, 2020
A time to open and a time to shut down
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by Karleb(m): 1:24pm On Oct 15, 2020
What about yahoo mail? They had better sell that to a company willing to buy.
I like yahoo mails.
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by Daniel058(m): 2:25pm On Oct 15, 2020
They shouldn't close their mail oo
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by Kunja2: 2:30pm On Oct 15, 2020
Too bad for them. They couldn't withstand Gmail and other competitions
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by juniorstar(m): 3:04pm On Oct 15, 2020
what would now happen to my mails, especially my mail alerts. I no get time to dey go bank to cause wahala to change emails. so the yahoomail no go work again, all my academic data are scanned and stored there. all my registrations in different platforms are with my yahoo mail. wetin dey do this ppl sef!
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by Petyr1: 4:49pm On Oct 15, 2020
nothing should happen to their mail o. my life is based there
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by careytommy37(m): 5:19pm On Oct 15, 2020
DWJOBScom:
Bye!
You guys had the future going well for you but let the money bags dictate your moves.....
It was actually Google that offered them to buy it for $20M but they refused.
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by DWJOBScom(m): 5:32pm On Oct 15, 2020
careytommy37:

It was actually Google that offered them to buy it for $20M but they refused.

Naa Google actually messed them up

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/01/technology/01cnd-subyahoo.html
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by tobechi74: 6:16pm On Oct 15, 2020
Is Yahoo Yahoo closing
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by BrutusOj(m): 7:15pm On Oct 15, 2020
Makavelli25:
exactly
they fukked up with the messenger.
now where will all my mail go to
Create a Gmail account that is same id like your Yahoo. As if I knew this will happen some day oo, I just started using my gmail more recently.
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by WoeBetide666: 8:58pm On Oct 15, 2020
Bonatheripper:

Beer parlour analyst

grin grin
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by RenaissanceGuy: 9:23pm On Oct 15, 2020
Kunja2:
Too bad for them. They couldn't withstand Gmail and other competitions
BrutusOj:
Create a Gmail account that is same id like your Yahoo. As if I knew this will happen some day oo, I just started using my gmail more recently.
juniorstar:
what would now happen to my mails, especially my mail alerts. I no get time to dey go bank to cause wahala to change emails. so the yahoomail no go work again, all my academic data are scanned and stored there. all my registrations in different platforms are with my yahoo mail. wetin dey do this ppl sef!
Yahoo Groups is just one of the services Yahoo offers. It's not the company that is shutting down.

1 Like

Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by juniorstar(m): 10:32pm On Oct 15, 2020
RenaissanceGuy:

Yahoo Groups is just one of the services Yahoo offers. It's not the company that is shutting down.
OK boss I for fear
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by KingAzubuike(f): 10:41pm On Oct 15, 2020
BrutusOj:
Don't be daft and stop spreading panic fears. It's Yahoo group which is just one of many services the company offers and it doesn't affect Yahoo mail.
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by tarantino1: 11:20pm On Oct 15, 2020
Na the employees go suffer am las las cos the owners don cash out tey tey
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by emmaversity(m): 1:07am On Oct 16, 2020
KingAzubuike:

Don't be daft and stop spreading panic fears. It's Yahoo group which is just one of many services the company offers and it doesn't affect Yahoo mail.

Yahoo Groups was launched in early 2001 as an integration of technology from eGroups.com and Yahoo Clubs but rising competition from social media community platforms like Facebook and Google has led to the loss in its once-massive userbase.

The message further stated that the creation of new groups will be disabled as of October 12 while users will no longer be able to send and receive emails from Yahoo Groups. as well as the inaccessibility of the website from December 15th.

Direct your attention to the bolded.
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by Nobody: 10:21am On Oct 17, 2020
OGWILLS123:

Why the fvck will you revealed someone Bvn on public
platform, do you know what I other guys like me can manipulate
with that Bvn angry
Do whatever you want with him...he is a dead Nigga.
Re: Yahoo Groups To Shut Down December 15 by Emeka71(m): 3:09pm On Oct 17, 2020
They are only removing Yahoo! groups from thier services but I don't see any reason why they shut down messenger which was thier costly mistake but I know that they can never afford to close down Yahoo! mail because that is thier backbone.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gmail Invitation Code / Bye Bye To Tecno Phones / Tecno L9 Plus Vs Infinix S2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.