Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:31 PM

Why Did Slaves Throw Away Their Heritage - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Did Slaves Throw Away Their Heritage (375 Views)

Eziagu Festival Of Heritage Records Impressive Cultural Exhibitions, Masquerades / Oluwo Of Iwo And Chanel Chin Throw Jabs At Each Other / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Did Slaves Throw Away Their Heritage by shantti(m): 7:59pm On Oct 15, 2020
During the trans atlantic slave trade era, slaves were taken from africa into foreign lands, since their slave masters had a problem of pronouncing the actual native name of their slaves, the slaves were force to drop their native names and receive foreign new names that the slave masters could pronounce. Now i know that oral literature was not new in african tradition, that is, africans before the slave trade era were familiar with the concept of passing down traditions and heritage orally since they could not read or write and it worked for them. i want to know why the slaves after being taken to a strange land, found it okay to throw away their heritage and accept foreign ones, when they could have orally transmitted their heritage to their descendants who are oblivious of their origin. information like language, surname, village, clan, kindred, traditions and folklores could have been passed from parents to offspring in each generations so that blacks in foreign lands today oblivious of their origin will find it easy to trace where they came from. imagine how helpful it could have been had parents in each generation from the slave trade era sat their kids down in secret and tell them things like "look we are from ekama village from the clan of umuafor from the kindred of ozalla" e.t.c, the parents will make sure the children learnt their native language and customs and traditions and songs and dance steps and deities, then these children in turn will transmit this information to their own children who will in turn transmit it to their own children, that way, blacks in different part of the world today who are descendants of slaves would have had no problem tracing their roots, i find it sad that so much was lost
Re: Why Did Slaves Throw Away Their Heritage by eginaP: 8:09pm On Oct 15, 2020
Majority of the slaves where actually broken. I personally believe their spirit was broken, and they lost the last iota of hope in them, what was left was acceptance.

I also believe they kbew the journey back home was impossible as such taking up the new origin was theast option.

I also believe that since majority was actually sold into slavery by their own kits and kin, then they did not feel wanted anymore.

I believe too that a lot of them must ha e told the story of their origin, but the fight and story for freedom was stronger as such many of the literature died naturally.

Finally, I believe that subsequent generations has integrated into the new culture and society naturally.

(1) (Reply)

What Is Metaverse? / New Year Or Christmas Celebration: Which One Is Bigger And Why? / 7 Important Ancient African Civilizations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.