Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,627 members, 7,820,217 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men (33727 Views)

Money Wife In Becheve, Cross River: A Story By Tunde Onakoya / Machina: Yobe Community Where Snakes Are Friends With Human Beings / Alaafin Of Oyo Playing With His Twin Baby Girls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men by davies(m): 10:04am On Oct 18, 2020
I am from cross river state, born and bred in lagos but sometimes when I look back to see the culture and tradition of my state, I feel so ashame.. It's a barbaric practice to bethrothe unborn and young children to old men in a state in the Niger-Delta.
I hope the governor and parliamentarian representing the area provide modern solutions to the archaic and myopic problem the tradition may continually cause

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men by shevy878: 10:23am On Oct 18, 2020
okpalaAnambra:
Truth is that cross river state is one of the most backward places in Nigeria.. Forget calabar that they use to save face.. Cross river hosts the thickest forest in Africa and looks like Tower of babel was built there with thousands of tribes and languages .. They're places in Cross river the men speak a different language from the women.. Cross River can drag land for Africa and can kill for it

Now this nonsense.. Cross river should wake up
! So much venom in your comment, its like one babe from that Area don do you strong thing grin

1 Like

Re: Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men by iddonla: 10:31am On Oct 18, 2020
Celebsnews2:

Shut da Bleep up? Which Cross River State is backward? A state with five different urban areas and tourist attractions scattered all over?

For your information, Becheve is some remote village close to the Ranch that shares a boundary with Cameroon. And nothing of such happens there. BTW, because we still maintain our rainforest doesn't mean we are backward. Ever heard of Wildlife conservation?

no mind the fool..i did my nysc in ikom and those people are very enlightened and intelligent..very hardworking too..which state no get backward people?

1 Like

Re: Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men by iddonla: 10:32am On Oct 18, 2020
akmath:
I heard there is a village in Cross River State where men speak a different language from the women..

obubra
Re: Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men by iphyjones(f): 10:42am On Oct 18, 2020
I strongly agree with you. I served there in 2014/2015. They still practice that tradition of money woman till now. Even older women who didn't get married marry young girls to bear them children who will answer the family name. Belinge, becheve even ranch are still backward in terms of Christianity, development and otherwise
Re: Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men by iphyjones(f): 10:43am On Oct 18, 2020
iddonla:

It's not obubra it's obudu. The villages there the women speaks different from the men but they understand each other
obubra
Re: Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men by Celebsnews2: 10:46am On Oct 18, 2020
iddonla:

no mind the fool..i did my nysc in ikom and those people are very enlightened and intelligent..very hardworking too..which state no get backward people?

I tire O. Cross River has five big towns/urban areas scattered across the state.
Re: Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men by iddonla: 10:51am On Oct 18, 2020
[quote author=iphyjones post=95056682][/quote]
ok .during my nysc then I think I heard obubra...
Re: Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men by iddonla: 10:52am On Oct 18, 2020
Celebsnews2:

I tire O. Cross River has five big towns/urban areas scattered across the state.

if there is a place I will like to live outside lagos its cross river state..

very hospitable people

1 Like

Re: Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men by iphyjones(f): 10:56am On Oct 18, 2020
[it's real even if the young girl gets pregnant by another man the child she gave birth to will bear her husband name. This practice is real qauote author=Gvnl post=95043164]So an elderly man will see a girl young enough to be his daughter and lay with her. This is outrageous![/quote]
Re: Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men by fred04(m): 11:05am On Oct 18, 2020
Iamsane:

You must be mad

If you like insult me unless u are one of the bastards produced by LovePeddler
Re: Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men by Tundex911: 11:28am On Oct 18, 2020
Long story.. But little i read., so terrible.
Re: Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men by Iamsane: 11:41am On Oct 18, 2020
fred04:

If you like insult me unless u are one of the bastards produced by LovePeddler

If your miserable parents are still alive. Go and ask them how you come about. You will be surprised you are a gutter child that was raised in the gutters.
Re: Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men by NNC5: 5:17pm On Oct 18, 2020
something is not right about this story.
if this is an ancient custom, how did they know a baby will be a girl so as to bethrote her while still in the womb?

research has shown that arranged marriage leads to much fewer divorce and dis-harmony than "love marriages"
just because you dont understand a culture does not mean its bad.

Most of you claim to be bible believers....and even though the bible talks about child marriages, you still find this disgusting.

This type of marriage is practiced even in the western world.
1. the US his a very high rate of child marriages
2.ask the queen of england how she got married.
Re: Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men by fred04(m): 9:11pm On Oct 18, 2020
Iamsane:

If your miserable parents are still alive. Go and ask them how you come about. You will be surprised you are a gutter child that was raised in the gutters.
I have no problem with u, I blem the useless people that brought u into this country.
U are simply deluded by mere looking at ur belief.
Please do me a favor by respecting ur blunt brain cos I know it's boiling currently.
Re: Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men by Thatssobeyonce(f): 12:41am On Oct 19, 2020
This breaks my heart
Re: Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men by Nmezor(f): 4:52pm On Oct 19, 2020
undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ibrahim Dasuki Is Dead / Locked Gate Of Ooni Of Ife (Photo) / Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.