Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,364 members, 7,812,042 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:01 AM

Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) (28561 Views)

100 Okwu Nka-akụnaụba Mkpa-kari Sụgharịa Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 3:02am On Mar 09, 2011
Omenani:

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0TrZkMDJ9zV5la_tVaD2G1z0Jsx1iugNxc1Cyzy5JEC0giUeWgA&t=1[/img]

Amadioha

Amadioha is wearing a middle class Igbo man's clothing because culture is not stagnant. The lady (always protecting his left) is Ala or Ajala, the most powerful Alusi, the Alusi of earth, fertility and morality. You know, Nne has to wear her own imported shorts as well. grin
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by AljUche: 3:04am On Mar 09, 2011
ezeagu:

Amadioha is wearing a middle class Igbo man's clothing because culture is not stagnant.

sorry is it in igbo culture to wear tie or is it a colonal culture which was brought to igbos

i would like to know your answer brother
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 3:06am On Mar 09, 2011
Alj Uche:

sorry is it in igbo culture to wear tie or is it a colonal culture which was brought to igbos

i would like to know your answer brother

Go and find out where Agbada and Boubou is from first and then come and answer your own question.
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by AljUche: 3:07am On Mar 09, 2011
ezeagu:

Agbala is what Christian call the "Holy Spirit", Anyanwu is "Jesus".

the bolded word

is it a new word after the white people came or is a word that has been part of the igbo culture before the whites came

thanks in advance smiley
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by AljUche: 3:11am On Mar 09, 2011
ezeagu:

Go and find out where Agbada and Boubou is from first and then come and answer your own question.

yes i know what baban riga is or called agbada in the yoruba language, i just learnt it is called boubou in sengela and other countries

this form of clothen was adopted which i agree,

all i am asking is, did amadohia wear white collar, t-shirt, socks, shoe and a hat in thoses days or is it just a new concept smiley
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 3:13am On Mar 09, 2011
To answer your answer question simply and relevantly, Anyanwu is the Sun of god.

[center][img]http://migrationstoriesofnigerianigbo.files./2009/11/igbo-ukwu4.jpg[/img][/center]

Pendant of a man with ichi marks symbolizing sun rays on his face, Igbo Ukwu, 9th century.
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by Omenani(m): 3:15am On Mar 09, 2011
ezeagu:

This is Kalabari.

I know, same thing. grin

How do you know my brother?
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by AljUche: 3:17am On Mar 09, 2011
ezeagu:

To answer your answer question simply and relevantly, Anyanwu is the Sun of god.

[center][img]http://migrationstoriesofnigerianigbo.files./2009/11/igbo-ukwu4.jpg[/img][/center]

Pendant of a man with ichi marks symbolizing sun rays on his face, Igbo Ukwu, 9th century.

ok, i understand smiley
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 3:19am On Mar 09, 2011
Omenani:

How do you know my brother?

From the style and they usually carve their ancestor on the wall hangings like that, I haven't seen Igbo people doing that, they don't usually carve their ancestors at all I don't think, there are exceptions. Here are other Kalabari ancestor shrines.

Edit: Sorry I don't know why I said Igbo people don't carve their ancestors. That's wrong.

[center]
[/center]

Igbo people don't wear top hats. wink
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by Omenani(m): 3:24am On Mar 09, 2011
ezeagu:

From the style and they usually carve their ancestor on the wall hangings like that, I haven't seen Igbo people doing that, they don't usually carve their ancestors at all I don't think, there are exceptions. Here are other Kalabari ancestor shrines.

[center]
[/center]

Igbo people don't wear top hats. wink

What about neighboring Igbo communities? You know how we Igbos like to borrow from other cultures besides spreading our culture as well.
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 3:27am On Mar 09, 2011
Omenani:

What about neighboring Igbo communities? You know how we Igbos like to borrow from other cultures besides spreading our culture as well.

Do you mean if Igbo people borrowed the Kalabari style and the top hats. I'll say they didn't, what the Igbo got from the Ijaw probably is the crocodile and fish masks (the one they wear on the head) even then some of the original Igbo masquerades were shared with the Kalabari. Igbo people are more strict with spiritual matters and don't borrow too often if at all. The Igbo most borrowed from the Ibibio, then it will be the Edo and then the Ijaw (maybe).
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by Omenani(m): 3:32am On Mar 09, 2011
ezeagu:

Do you mean if Igbo people borrowed the Kalabari style and the top hats. I'll say they didn't, what the Igbo got from the Ijaw probably is the crocodile and fish masks (the one they wear on the head) even then some of the original Igbo masquerades were shared with the Kalabari. Igbo people are more strict with spiritual matters and don't borrow too often if at all. The Igbo most borrowed from the Ibibio, then it will be the Edo and then the Ijaw (maybe).

Thank you for the answer. Your expertise is needed on the Nri thread as well my brother.
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by Omenani(m): 4:27am On Mar 09, 2011
[img]http://www.art-africain.fr/gallery/bigFormat/2cdc6784621bb1fabd5edaa37a78a0a9.jpg[/img]

Alusi magnificent statue with a beautiful dark red brown patina with touches of black and white. Among the Igbo, the statues with the palms facing up suggest a protective spirit called Alusi. These statues are placed on altars or in temples. They rarely go out to some festivals during which sacrifices are made in their honor. The statue bears the classic scars on his face and a beautiful crest on the head looking like the spine masks agbo mmaung (spirits of young girls).
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 6:22am On Mar 09, 2011
[center]

[/center]

Ofor
Bronze
Probably from Ọka
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ifyalways(f): 11:14am On Mar 10, 2011
Is that real the real picture of Amadioha undecided
Does the image of Amadioha not vary from place to place or its same in the whole Alaigbo?
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by Omenani(m): 2:24pm On Mar 24, 2011
ifyalways:

Is that real the real picture of Amadioha undecided
Does the image of Amadioha not vary from place to place or its same in the whole Alaigbo?

It varies my dear. I think the different representations of Amadioha are simply artistic expressions.
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ifyalways(f): 2:26pm On Mar 24, 2011
Omenani:

It varies my dear. I think the different representations of Amadioha are simply artistic expressions.
Ok.
More pictures please smiley
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by Jen33(m): 12:24am On Mar 26, 2011
IKENGA

The Ikenga may be nothing more than the ancient Egyptian god Khenmu

KHENMU

Other Names: Chem, Kemu, Khem, Khnum Patron of: the creation of people and animals.

Appearance: a man with the head of a ram.

Description: Khenmu formed a triad with Anuket and Satis, and was possibly a Nubian god originally. The worship of Khenmu dates to the earliest of times in Egypt, the Unas Pyramid Text indicates that his cult was already old when that ancient document was written. Called "the Great Potter," Khenmu was the creator of people. He sculpted them out of clay from the Nile, held them up so that Ra could shine his life-giving rays upon them, and then placed them in the womb. His wife was the lioness-goddess Menhit, and their son was Hike. Originally a primal force deity of creation like Ptah, his role was later modified to fit him into the pantheon of the state religion.

Worship: Worshipped throughout Nubia and Egypt, his cult centers were Elephantine, Sunnu, Abu, and Semnut.

http://www.touregypt.net/godsofegypt/khenmu.htm
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 8:16pm On Mar 26, 2011
Jen33:

IKENGA

The Ikenga may be nothing more than the ancient Egyptian god Khenmu

KHENMU

Other Names: Chem, Kemu, Khem, Khnum Patron of: the creation of people and animals.

Appearance: a man with the head of a ram.

Description: Khenmu formed a triad with Anuket and Satis, and was possibly a Nubian god originally. The worship of Khenmu dates to the earliest of times in Egypt, the Unas Pyramid Text indicates that his cult was already old when that ancient document was written. Called "the Great Potter," Khenmu was the creator of people. He sculpted them out of clay from the Nile, held them up so that Ra could shine his life-giving rays upon them, and then placed them in the womb. His wife was the lioness-goddess Menhit, and their son was Hike. Originally a primal force deity of creation like Ptah, his role was later modified to fit him into the pantheon of the state religion.

Worship: Worshipped throughout Nubia and Egypt, his cult centers were Elephantine, Sunnu, Abu, and Semnut.

http://www.touregypt.net/godsofegypt/khenmu.htm

Or khenmu might be nothing more than the Igbo god Ikenga. They may have common origins.
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by Rossikk(m): 11:55pm On Mar 26, 2011
^^True.
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 6:28pm On Apr 15, 2011
[center][/center]

An Igbo-Ukwu (old time Ora-eri) bronze ceremonial vessel in the shape of a snail, 8—9th century. The technology was advanced enough to use leaded bronze.
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 6:34pm On Apr 15, 2011
[center][img]http://www.mcah.columbia.edu/dbcourses/africa/medium/africa1_033.jpg[/img][/center]

Top view of a staff, bronze, Igbo-Ukwu, 9th Century.
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 6:36pm On Apr 15, 2011
[center][/center]

Mbari house for housing the goddess Ala, the earth goddess, with some other deities. These buildings are most common to the Owerre Igbo.
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 6:38pm On Apr 15, 2011
[center][/center]

Igbo-Ukwu ceremonial bowl, 9th Century, now in the museum of Lagos.
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 6:38pm On Apr 15, 2011
[center][/center]

Clays(?) ceremonial pot, Igbo-Ukwu, 9th century.
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 6:39pm On Apr 15, 2011
[img]http://www.mcah.columbia.edu/dbcourses/africa/large/africa1_025.jpg[/img]

Glass beads, Igbo-Ukwu, 9th century.
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 6:40pm On Apr 15, 2011
[center][img]http://2.bp..com/--h5KMP2WqMQ/TWAwQGUzw3I/AAAAAAAAAPw/3UQt8De5ha0/s1600/Igbo%2Bukwu.jpg[/img][/center]

Intricate bronze ceremonial pot, 9th century, Igbo-Ukwu.
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 6:41pm On Apr 15, 2011
[center][img]http://www.artvalue.com/image.aspx?PHOTO_ID=2459241&width=500&height=500[/img][/center]

Ofo, ritual staffs of authority, bronze.
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 6:42pm On Apr 15, 2011
[center][img]http://www.mcah.columbia.edu/dbcourses/africa/medium/africa1_030.jpg[/img][/center]

Leopard pendant, Igbo-Ukwu, 9th century.
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 6:44pm On Apr 15, 2011
[center]

[/center]

Ceremonial bronze bowl, Igbo-Ukwu, 9th century.
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 6:46pm On Apr 15, 2011
[center]

[/center]

Ofo staff of authority (the last flat one looks like it has something moulded onto it which looks like nsibidi).
Re: Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 6:48pm On Apr 15, 2011
[center][img]http://www.artvalue.com/image.aspx?PHOTO_ID=2457938[/img][/center]

A gourd of some kind.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People / Oluwo Akanbi Supports The Establishment Of Fulani Ranches In Yoruba Land / How Do U Greet Good Morning In Ur Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.