Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,816 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:36 AM

Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison (5401 Views)

Abdulaziz Dauda Sentenced To Death By Hanging / Presidency Orders Sack Of Civil Servants With 30 Years In Service And Above / Ibori, Others To Complete Jail Terms In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by violent(m): 8:41am On Mar 09, 2011
Judge Christopher Hardy sitting at a packed Southwark Crown Court today told Bhadresh Gohil a partner at Arlington Sharma Solicitors and James Ibori’s lawyer; “you have brought shame on your family, your profession and your country” as he handed down a sentence of over 7 years to him. (Sentence Count 1; Conspiracy to defraud -7 yrs , Count 2: Conspiracy to make false instruments - 3 ; 5 years and count 4-8 involving Money laundering and Proceeds of Crime-
3 years)

Gohil who was already in custody at Wandsworth Prison following the conclusion of another trial involving Ibori’s wife, sister and mistress was told by the judge, “ You were a solicitor of the supreme Court and holding out as a man of integrity”. Adding “It’s said the real villains are in Nigeria, but this fraud required special expertise and you lent yourself to it”. Gohil was described by the judge as the “architect” and the predicate offender in a thoroughly dishonest scheme which had been devised simply to divert resources of Nigerian state funds into the pockets of others from the sale of ‘V Mobile’ shares, the third largest wireless network in operation in the whole of the African continent now known as “Airtel.” Gohil went to extra ordinary lengths to carry out the fraud with no regard for his professional duties. In fact the police found evidence implicating him in fraud in another case already heard concerning Mr. Faustin Kabwe of Zambia who is already serving a sentence.

Sasha Wass QC for Prosecution told the judge that are two elements to this crime; “the Fraud and the Money laundering”.

In 2005 whilst James Ibori was the Governor, the Delta State owned 18% of the shares in V Mobile and The Akwa Ibom state owned 10% with Obong Victor Attah in power. Both were on the board of V Mobile and privy to all the dealings. So in June 2005, when a sale of the company was considered there were already offers on the table from major international operators such as Vodaphone, Virgin, Celtel and Econet amongst others. By late 2005 the market had been fully tested and although there was no requirement for any additional advice and due to the greed of our leaders, both James Ibori and Victor Attah together decided to plunder the asset and divert funds to their own coffers.

Other Nigerian officials accused in the scam are currently at large. They include Mr. Ibori, former Governor Victor Obong Attah of Akwa Ibom, David Edevbie, a former Principal Secretary to Umaru Yar'Adua, Love Ojakovo, a former commissioner of finance to Ibori and Henry Imashekka, a business associate of Ibori.

Gohil was recruited and it was he who masterminded a simple scheme and set up a fake company as a consultancy called ADF (Africa Development Finance) which would charge exorbitant fees ( five to six times of that charged by top UK solicitors, for their alleged service and to arrange the sale. Gohil created a pretence that it was necessary for the Delta State and Akwa Ibom state to consult another company-ADF and charged $19 million and $18m respectively and sent to Access bank in Nigeria.

The basis of the fee would be a 5% flat commission and 25% -30% success fee for any price achieved over $6.5 per share. This even though the market was already established at between $6.45-$8.05 per share. The prosecutor Sasha Wass said “it is like betting after a race is concluded”. The fees were not legitimate or necessary but merely a mechanism to divert money to James Ibori and Victor Attah. It was always intended that no work would be undertaken but money diverted. Mr. Gohil from his luxury offices in St James in London, created a false paper trail by his own efforts and by instructing his junior trainees. A false agreement was typed up and Gohil forged the necessary signatures.

Once funds were received at the Access bank in Nigeria various company vehicles were used to launder the cash including Brookes Aviation, E F Samuels, Ascot Offshore Nigeria Ltd, Esconet and Cran Brasil Nominees Ltd. Both De Boer and McCann were FSA approved and were recruited by Gohil to play a part

The Judge also told the co defendants ; Lambertus De Boer aged 65 and Danial MCann aged 68 that, “I am satisfied that you were both drawn in innocently in Mr Gohil’s schemes and if you had not been then it would have been very serious for you”. Although both co-defendants’ lawyers made a case for suspended sentences, the Judge said that “Court of Appeal says that white collar crime is still a crime” and handed each a 30 months custodial sentence.
Mr. Gohil faces further sentencing regarding an earlier trial known as “Ibori Trial 2” which concerns the trial of Ibori associates already sentenced to five-year jail terms , that sentencing is adjourned till April 8 2011.

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/v-mobile-37million-shares-fraud-bhadresh-gohil-ibori%E2%80%99s-uk-lawyer-sentenced-7-years-prison
Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by earlalright(m): 12:57pm On Mar 09, 2011
nice judgment. we lawyers have the duties to serve the best interest of our clients but that is first to our nation, society and humanity. no fee should buy our conscience and nobody should make us do wrong the things which we know are wrong.
Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by Enoquin(f): 1:07pm On Mar 09, 2011
'Most' Lawyers are known to be corrupt, so that's no news. who else help sets up those companies that acts as fronts or set up offshore accounts for money laundering.
So Obong Victor Attah follow destroy Vmobile? I thought it is being peddled about that the man was a complete saint,
Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by desgiezd(m): 1:38pm On Mar 09, 2011
I hope Ibori is getting ready.

It’s sad the real villains are in Nigeria, but this fraud required special expertise and you lent yourself to it”. Gohil was described by the judge as the “architect” and the predicate offender in a thoroughly dishonest scheme which had been devised simply to divert resources of Nigerian state funds into the pockets of others from the sale of ‘V Mobile’ shares

Even sadder that the villains would carry placards tomorrow and protest that Ibori is being victimised!
Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by scopusng(m): 2:42pm On Mar 09, 2011
Where is Ibori? ur own don finish.Hahahahaahahahaaha.
Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by yemmight(m): 3:04pm On Mar 09, 2011
And someday, PDP will celebrate the release of this big thief.
Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by jmaine: 3:14pm On Mar 09, 2011
yemmight:

And someday, PDP will celebrate the release of this big thief.

True that bro . . and will later lie that they were deceived into throwing their lavish embarrassing party.
Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by babaowo: 3:33pm On Mar 09, 2011
make chief ibori go spend good time with his lawyer lol happy holiday lol lol
Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by reindeer: 4:14pm On Mar 09, 2011
If the Uk government will now be sincere, they should now repatriate all the monies stored in their backyard!
What good is it when you jail people one at a time and you know that the leaders will keep sending their country's money to your banks.
I wish to see Ibori's as.s rot in jail, but i also wish for more sincerity from these western governments.
These people know about every corrupt Nigerian who has an account in the Uk, yet nothing is done to stop this.I was amazed at the speed with which America and the EU froze assets belonging to Ghadaffi and his sons, meaning they knew about this billions all along and did nothing till this sh.it hit the fan
Stop all aids to Africa and stop taking money from their rulers, then can you really say you are interested in development, forget USAID and British council, they are only returning peanuts from Africa's money kept in the corrupt banks.
I dey vex angry
Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by ideylaff: 6:19pm On Mar 09, 2011
So Obong Victor Attah follow destroy Vmobile? I thought it is being peddled about that the man was a complete saint,

You know hear the name Bung, na bribe be dat naw,  he come be ~Obong~ angry
Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by debosky(m): 9:06pm On Mar 09, 2011
@ reindeer I agree in principle, but we should clearly note that the money in this case was sent back to Nigeria and laundered through Access Bank.

The bank should be investigated and prosecuted if they knowingly participated in money laundering.
Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by violent(m): 9:24pm On Mar 09, 2011
reindeer:

If the Uk government will now be sincere, they should now repatriate all the monies stored in their backyard!
What good is it when you jail people one at a time and you know that the leaders will keep sending their country's money to your banks.
I wish to see Ibori's behind rot in jail, but i also wish for more sincerity from these western governments.
These people know about every corrupt Nigerian who has an account in the Uk, yet nothing is done to stop this.I was amazed at the speed with which America and the EU froze assets belonging to Ghadaffi and his sons, meaning they knew about this billions all along and did nothing till this sh.it hit the fan
Stop all aids to Africa and stop taking money from their rulers, then can you really say you are interested in development, forget USAID and British council, they are only returning peanuts from Africa's money kept in the corrupt banks.
I dey vex angry

I don't understand what your point is, are you saying Banks in the UK should stop accepting deposits or investments from people they "perceive" as corrupt? That's totally impractical, and i'd suspect you are being irrational and unnecessarily emotional.
The world is a global community and the banks are there to connect those in need of funds with those that have it in surplus.

Until the recent uproar, Ghadaffi was a leader of a very stable government, if the UK or the EU decides to freeze his assets just for nothing's sake, then they'd be treading on a very dangerous diplomatic lines.

If you want sincerity, you should seek to establish it first within your own home.
Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by Xtfield(m): 10:03pm On Mar 09, 2011
Why has Ibori refused to give himself up for trial in the UK? After all he can always do a "Bode George" style thanksgiving after completing his jail term. No be Nigeria?
Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by reindeer: 12:29am On Mar 10, 2011
guilty as charged.
I was just really miffed with the fact that they know these corrupt guys and willingly accept the dough.There is always a giver and a receiver in these things. . .and both are complicit to an extent
I only hope someday a framework can be developed not allowing people in government in Africa to open, operate or maintain such accounts.That will and should be easier for these governments than having to send ''foreign aid'' later. There has to be a way to stop the systematic looting of Africa . . . .just haven't figured it out yet.

violent:

I don't understand what your point is, are you saying Banks in the UK should stop accepting deposits or investments from people they "perceive" as corrupt? That's totally impractical, and i'd suspect you are being irrational and unnecessarily emotional.
The world is a global community and the banks are there to connect those in need of funds with those that have it in surplus.

Until the recent uproar, Ghadaffi was a leader of a very stable government, if the UK or the EU decides to freeze his assets just for nothing's sake, then they'd be treading on a very dangerous diplomatic lines.

If you want sincerity, you should seek to establish it first within your own home.

Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by sulad82i(m): 6:59am On Mar 10, 2011
at last
Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by wckabuoh(m): 7:22am On Mar 10, 2011
these guys can never make us go bankrupt> can u imagine!!! embarassed
Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by sirt1(m): 8:49am On Mar 10, 2011
reindeer:

I wish to see Ibori's behind rot in jail, but i also wish for more sincerity from these western governments.
I dey vex angry

True talk to some extent, but don't forget that banks are intermediaries btw the deficit and surplus side of the economy. They are in business to do what they know how to do best by collecting from surplus side of the economy and channel same to the deficit side of the economy for proper and speedy development.

The problem is with our system back in Nigeria. Had it bn there is a death penalty for any corrupt public office holder, I tell u, nobody will dare steal from Government cover. But guess what? They are all corrupt!!! Kettle can not call pot black. They are all in the business of milking the nation dry. Even the holier than thou president GEJ is no different.

Now that Ibori's lawyer got seven years imprisonment, how many years will the chief culprit get?
Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by lagcity(m): 3:36am On Mar 11, 2011
reindeer:

I dey vex angry

i am telling you that these "frozen" assets will end up becoming stolen assets. YES. i am telling you that western govts will steal the money and not return all of it. only they know the amount of the money, the libyans do not. they are number 1 barao in the whole world. b4 the 1979 revolution in iran, the govt. of the shah ordered and paid for arms from the US. b4 the Americans could deliver the arms, the revolution happened. guess what? the Americans refused to deliver the weapons to the "hostile" new govt of Iran. AND THEY KEPT THE MONEY; NO REFUND.
Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by rasputinn(m): 9:16am On Mar 11, 2011
Ibori's sister,Ibori's wife,Ibori's mistress,Ibori's lawyer,Ibori's maiguard and Ibori's barber,,,when will Ibori be tried and sentenced undecided
Re: Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison by yokiti: 9:17pm On Mar 11, 2011
jmaine:

True that bro . . and will later lie that they were deceived into throwing their lavish embarrassing party.

Gbam!!! May we be liberated from these heartless thieves we call leaders!

(1) (Reply)

Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud / Edo Power Plant Project To Be Completed April – FG / House Of Reps Member Arrives Chamber Wearing An “irregular” Face Mask (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.