Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,264 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud (5398 Views)

U.S Extradites Six Nigerians For Money Laundering / Court Extradites Chiedo Nzeocha To US Over $30m Fraud / Hurray:Dubai Court Extradites Ibori To London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by tyson55(m): 9:55pm On Feb 02, 2012
A Federal High Court in Lagos has ordered that a Nigerian, Rasheed Mustapha, be extradited to the United States of America for allegedly stealing $798,907.62 (N125.3m) in that country.

The verdict came after a lot of drama between the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and Mustapha, who through his counsel, Joseph Nwabike, fought the extradition order.

Nwabike had argued that the court was not competent to hear the extradition charge. He added that he could not be extradited because of the alleged offences, more so, when the offences were not against any Nigerian law.

The office of the Attorney-General of the Federation, which filed the extradition order on behalf of the EFCC, had explained in the order that, “,  a request has been made to Nigeria by a diplomatic representative of the Embassy of the United States of America, Abuja, for the surrender of Rasheed Abayomi Mustapha who is jointly a subject of a superceding indictment in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, Case Number: 08-CR-429 and filed on the 31st day of October, 2011.”

Some of the charges against Mustapha in the USA include, “Conspiracy to violate the laws of the United States, in violation of Title 18, United States code, Section 1349, namely mail fraud, which carries a maximum penalty of five years' imprisonment. Mail fraud, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1341 and Title 18, United States Code, Section 2.”

The letter had added that each count was punishable by a maximum penalty of 20 years imprisonment.

In her ruling, Justice Patricia Ajoku dismissed the preliminary objections, stating that based on the Nigerian constitution, the court was competent to decide the extradition of the accused person.

She subsequently said the accused person should be extradited to the US to face the charges. Ajoku also faulted the accused person's argument that the offences were not known to the Nigerian laws.

EFFC Acting Head of Media, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren, said from the commission's investigation, Mustapha and his collaborators conspired to steal $798,907.62 in distribution cheques.

He said, “Of that amount, $750,651.48 was actually issued and deposited into bank accounts controlled by members of the syndicate. The sum of $500,000 was withdrawn and distributed between Mustapha and his group.

“Mustapha, 37, had returned to Nigeria after allegedly committing the crime in the United States. However, collaboration between the EFCC and the FBI led to his arrest by the operatives of the EFCC in May last year.”

http://odili.net/news/source/2012/feb/2/817.html
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by Kobojunkie: 10:22pm On Feb 02, 2012
I think if more and more Nigerians are extradited to countries where they are accused of committing one crime or another, it will certainly help a greate deal in cleaning up the country and our politics a whole lot.
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by justwise(m): 12:25pm On Feb 03, 2012
This is the kind of news i want to hear, Nigeria shouldn't be a safe heaven for bunch of criminals who go around committing crime in other countries and running back to Nigerian to enjoy their loot
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by debosky(m): 12:33pm On Feb 03, 2012
Good news - let them suffer for their crimes, in fact when they are deported after finishing the sentences they should be locked up again for defaming the image of Nigeria.
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by Toktee(m): 12:36pm On Feb 03, 2012
Rubbish!rubbish!! Where are the vasuani brothers accuse in seamen scandal,where are the irannians that brought containers of arm and ammunition with rpgs,Nigeria 4ever u will remain stagnant!
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by Toktee(m): 12:37pm On Feb 03, 2012
Rubbish!rubbish!! Where are the vasuani brothers accuse in seamen scandal,where are the irannians that brought containers of arm and ammunition with rpgs,Nigeria 4ever u will remain stagnant!
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by ismhab(m): 12:42pm On Feb 03, 2012
Igbo again, they will never stop the yahoo-yahoo business.
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by justwise(m): 12:45pm On Feb 03, 2012
Toktee:

Go ask Nigerian govt those questions, the US govt is doing what every responsible govt will do
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by justwise(m): 12:47pm On Feb 03, 2012
ismhab:

Igbo again, they will never stop the yahoo-yahoo business.

Another complete slowpoke, is Rasheed Mustapha, Igbo?
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by Ranoscky(m): 12:52pm On Feb 03, 2012
^ Hahahaha. . .

No mind dat Ediot. Na REAL slowpoke. Lol
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by justwise(m): 12:56pm On Feb 03, 2012
Ranoscky:

^ Hahahaha. . .

No mind dat Ediot. Na REAL slowpoke. Lol

You would have thought that somebody with a name: ismhab should be able to know that Rasheed Mustapha is not an Igbo name, then again what do you expect from [b]s[/b]ome malams
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by expert555: 12:57pm On Feb 03, 2012
This is a good news they distroyed my career in UK, after their bastardised letters, emails and 419 activites against UK persons and coporate bodies, it was very hard and still difficult for British people to place Nigerian professsionals especialy accountants to position of trusts. In my last job I nearly had a nervous break-down after being hounded by external auditors and colleagues after they dicovered I had a Nigeria background. The question is must we all be rich to be happy in life?
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by mekaboy(m): 1:04pm On Feb 03, 2012
LOL, WATCH OUT FOR THE NEW VISA FORMAT, SOON THE US WILL BE REQUESTING FOR ALOT OF NIGERIANS THAT HAVE NEVER LEFT NIGERIA BEFORE grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by chines4(m): 1:42pm On Feb 03, 2012
He is lucky, if they jail him in US,
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by purefella(m): 2:08pm On Feb 03, 2012
I pity this planet so much with what it had turned to , there's no other way for a man to enjoy himself or at least be happy without money , the weak minded people can't stand it and will do anything for it and they also pay heavily for it . This life will turn you to what you don't like and will still use your character to hunt you . Earth don't worth a dime anymore
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by niddamugu(m): 2:16pm On Feb 03, 2012
nna men, this guy don ja to God's own country without visa stress, money for ticket. Rasheed, I congratulate you. Your risk really paid off u know, grin grin grin
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by Dede1(m): 2:28pm On Feb 03, 2012
I am against extradition of any sort. Nigeria should not extradite its citizen to USA. If an American commits heinous in Nigeria and escapes to USA, there is no way USA government would extradite the American to Nigeria.

If Nigerians can not economically and socially fix their country to the level of respectability in the eyes of the world, I suggest Nigeria be disintegrated.
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by Nobody: 3:58pm On Feb 03, 2012
Dede1:

I am against extradition of any sort. Nigeria should not extradite its citizen to USA. If an Americans commits heinous in Nigeria and escapes to USA, there is no way USA government would extradite the American to Nigeria.

If Nigerians can not economically and socially fix their country to the level of respectability in the eyes of the world, I suggest Nigeria be disintegrated. 

if the nigerian govt is too dumb to stand up for Nigeria and Nigerians that should not stop other countries from being responsible
you think all nations work backwads like Nigeria does?
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by NAJALYN: 4:22pm On Feb 03, 2012
This is very good news. Government should cnntinue to extradite those who go out of the country, steal and bring their loot. This will rid our nation of such criminals. The question is, is it possible for us to get the cooperation of countries that receive monies from criminals who carry our money outside the country? Government should strike an accord with such countries so that we can recover our monies. If we cooperate with them, they must also cooperate with us.
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by Ndata(m): 4:44pm On Feb 03, 2012
Rasheed Mustapha is a yoruba muslim.Yoruba and fraud,inseperable.
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by Kaygeminix(f): 4:44pm On Feb 03, 2012
this is a sign of positive change, these criminals think nigeria is a safe haven for enjoying stolen loot angry angry
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by Harbb: 6:05pm On Feb 03, 2012
Thats good. No crime should go unpunished
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by Yeske2(m): 6:28pm On Feb 03, 2012
Good news.
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by Kobojunkie: 6:31pm On Feb 03, 2012
milehigh06:

if the nigerian govt is too dumb to stand up for Nigeria and Nigerians that should not stop other countries from being responsible
you think all nations work backwads like Nigeria does?

Take hand shake!!! Good retort!
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by 2mch(m): 6:31pm On Feb 03, 2012
Good, no room for criminals. cool
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by Aringarosa(m): 10:27pm On Feb 03, 2012
Good news!
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by kizito96(m): 10:30pm On Feb 03, 2012
Let him go and face the Law, these few bastards have spoiled the Name of Nigeria Internationally
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by Nobody: 7:36am On Feb 04, 2012
I wonder why we are always very happy about news like this, I am not saying the person who's done something like this has done well, but come to think of it,they are only leaving up to their expectations. What do you expect from the citizen of a country that has rogues as leaders? The leaders should start with themselves first and give these poor Nigerians reasons not to commit crime, then they can extradite.
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by justwise(m): 7:44am On Feb 04, 2012
Gbyte:

I wonder why we are always very happy about news like this, I am not saying the person[b] who's done something like this has done well, but come to think of it,they are only leaving up to their expectations. What do you expect from the citizen of a country that has rogues as leaders? The leaders should start with themselves first and give these poor Nigerians reasons not to commit crime, then they can extradite. [/b]

That is a very poor and shameful excuse for a criminal.
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by Ranoscky(m): 7:02am On Feb 05, 2012
It's like habourin a criminals money that YOU know QUITE WELL that he is a CRIMANL, and stil go ahead to keep such money.

And when the criminal's son came to steal from the habourer, he gets arrested and takin out of his own father's house. NONSENSE!!

How many of them (habourers) own a bank account outside their countries? If they really wanto do us (we the sufferin masses) a favour, they should return and seize holdin the money of our govt criminals. When they dictates a huge amount in ones account, they'll like to investigate to the end to know what kinda bizness that person does to own such money, to know if it's legal or an ilegal bizness. But, the reverse is the case here. They'r so quick to keep and SECURE the money of CRIMINALS (Nigerian govt workers) and never bothers to ask them how the money came about, cos they use it in boostin more of their economy.

They are just fortunate to detained one of the unlucky ones, if u ask me! Peacocks!

Dede1:

I am against extradition of any sort. Nigeria should not extradite its citizen to USA. If an American commits heinous in Nigeria and escapes to USA, there is no way USA government would extradite the American to Nigeria.

Right on point, bro!
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by member479760: 9:46am On Feb 05, 2012
the cock suckers want to extradite the guy hoping to gain from it. chewww!!! and the homeless one celebrating halleluyah, continue enslaving yaself.
Re: Court Extradites Nigerian To Us For N125.3m Fraud by justwise(m): 11:01am On Feb 05, 2012
They can lock him up there for life, i couldn't careless, good job US govt, go after any criminal especially the Nigerian ones who travels around the world committing crime.

(1) (Reply)

Edo Power Plant Project To Be Completed April – FG / Sad! Pastor Commits Suicide After Hackers Exposed Him On Adultery Website.Pics.. / Edo Overtakes Enugu In Coal Production

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.