Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,202 members, 7,953,742 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:35 AM

WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped (13725 Views)

DG-WTO: US Officially Backs Okonjo-Iweala To Lead The WTO / Gordon Brown Backs Okonjo-Iweala's WTO-DG Bid. Ngozi Reacts / ECOWAS Parliament Backs Nigeria’s Border Closure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by ijustdey: 4:35pm On Oct 22, 2020
The European Parliament has endorsed the candidacy of Nigeria’s Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala in her quest to lead the World Trade Organisation as Director-General.

The Parliament in a letter on Wednesday said it screened the two remaining candidates in the WTO DG race — Okonjo-Iweala and Yoo Myung-hee of South Korea — and was convinced that the Nigerian candidate has the ‘energy’ and is ‘well-equipped’ for the job.

In the letter signed by the Co-chairs of the Parliamentary Conference on the WTO Steering Group, Bernd Lange and Sven Simon, the EP said it was satisfied with Okonjo-Iweala’s level of requirements and skills.

It, therefore, urged the European Union to express support for the candidacy of the former World Bank director.

The letter titled, ‘EP Exchanges of Views with WTO Director-General candidates’, partly read, “On 19 October, the EP’s Steering Group of the Parliamentary Conference on the World Trade Organisation organised exchanges of views with the two remaining candidates for the role of Director-General of the WTO.

“On this occasion, both candidates gave us an extensive account of their plans for the future of the organisation and the approach they would choose in order to deal with the crises that are currently threatening the multilateral trading system.

“Both candidates are extremely experienced, well qualified and knowledgeable, and have their own clear visions for the WTO’s future and priorities, and the Director-General’s role in shaping it, as well concerning the important role for parliamentarians in that future.

“During the discussions, we appreciated, in particular, the vision that Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala presented for tackling the substantial challenges the organisation is facing.

“Her assessment of the existing problems of the organisation revealed a deep understanding of the fault lines dividing the WTO’s membership.

“The points she set out for her first steps after being appointed to the position reveal a clear-eyed agenda, tackling head-on key topics such as special and differential treatment, industrial subsidies and dispute settlement reform while recognising the need for positive momentum through the conclusion of agreements on issues such as fisheries, e-commerce, and health.

“We also appreciated the energy with which she is likely to approach her new role. It appears to us that her personal approach is what is needed now to resolve the key questions at the organisation.

“Dr Okonjo-Iweala appears to be well-equipped for being the fair broker who could bring key players together and help them find the compromises that will be needed to resolve the WTO‘s complex set of challenges and the deep disagreements between its members.

“We, therefore, very much hope that the EU will be able to support Dr Okonjo-Iweala’s candidacy during the last round,” the parliament noted.

The PUNCH had earlier reported that 79 out of the 164 states that comprise the WTO endorsed Nigeria’s first female finance and foreign minister for the job.

The global trade body is set to be led by a woman for the first time whichever of the two candidates is successful in their bid to follow Roberto Azevedo, who stepped down as WTO director-general in August a year ahead of schedule.

Okonjo-Iweala, 66, who has a 25-year career behind her as a development economist at the World Bank, said it would be good if WTO could also boast its first African leader.

The initial pool of eight candidates for the WTO’s top post, which has been whittled down over two rounds of consultations, had included three Africans, and the AU had until now refrained from offering an official endorsement.

The third and final round of consultations seeking to establish consensus around one candidate is due to begin next week and end on October 27, with the announcement due in early November.

https://punchng.com/wto-european-parliament-backs-okonjo-iweala-says-shes-well-equipped/

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by GTkester: 4:38pm On Oct 22, 2020
All hail the mighty southern Nigerians! All hail the almighty Igbos!!

Abeg, I wan drop this appeal to Ndigbo: as we can see we are winning the media war back to back, but we must never allow the new found bromance and unity we have developed with Yorubas to be torned apart by Yoruba Muslims Miscreants (YMM). It pains the almajiri north and their Yoruba servants that there's a unified south, which is no longer ready to act as fodders for their selfish agenda. This generation with unlimited access to the internet has achieved the unachievable, and therefore we must do everything to safeguard this win.

Therefore, going forward we must drop every form of media attacks targeted against ndi YORUBA. Henceforth, we should only target the Yoruba Muslims and hit them really hard. Also we must extend this hand of unity to the middle belters and make them come into our fold. Our agenda is to use our inestimable media power to drive a consensus that is devoid of the senseless almajiri cattle herders who are not up to anything good. However, when we notice that an almajiri is considerate enough and is ready to break ranks with his/her people, we must welcome such person into our fold!

Also, henceforth we must develop a propaganda soundbite in order to use it to drive our goals. Just for example, it is us that alerted the world of Fulani herders terrorism acts in Nigeria. So, it isn't out of place to claim that we coined the word Fulani herdsmen. And this is so because whenever there is a clash between the herders and farmers, while the govt tries everything to paint the herders and farmers as two opposing parties, it is us that will expose the truth, and that what is going on is actually a genocidal agenda of the fulans. Thankfully, today the whole world is on our side as regards the Fulani genocidal intent. With this we have also saved the middle belt.

Finally, we should going forward regard the middle-belters as the progressives, while we talk kindly of the Yorubas who are not Muslims. Every of our negative comments should be reserved for those people who drive cattle from place to place and the Yoruba Muslims. We should understand that this war just got started and we must do everything to win it. The good news is that we are already on the winning side. At least for now, we have succeeded in exposing Buharis ineptitude and evil mindedness before the world.

We must continue!

All hail the blessed south!

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by GuyWise(m): 4:47pm On Oct 22, 2020
Nna mehnnnnnnn

In Nigeria politics today NOI is the greatest woman..

NOI has the intelligence and brain to handle the WTO.

IGBO AMAKA...

#Endsars

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by GTkester: 4:51pm On Oct 22, 2020
@mynd44, Dominique, @Ishilove, @lalasticala.

At times like this, this is the kind of news that should grace FP ASAP. Please do the needful

6 Likes

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by myBraine: 4:51pm On Oct 22, 2020
Very commendable.

While Nigerian youths are busy disgracing us globally, a female scholar, technocrat and think-tank member of the past administration is making us proud.

Nonetheless, if I was her, I'll retreat from heading WTO just to show solidarity with my country in this challenging time.

For posterity sake, I once did that in high school.

5 Likes

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by Ibadansun1: 4:53pm On Oct 22, 2020
I believe she has won

Shame to the idiots trying to bring her down

Congratulations to her

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by Uyi168: 6:45pm On Oct 22, 2020

Many Nigerians have all it takes to high up there, sadly yeye quota system keep pulling us backward.. embarassed
Mama is winning this.. kiss

8 Likes

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by DontBullshitMe: 6:46pm On Oct 22, 2020

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by Cordis92(f): 6:46pm On Oct 22, 2020
Nigeria is blessed. We only have bad leaders. I'm igbo but I won't say igbo amaka because of this. Nigeria amaka!

Yoruba, igbo, hausa, fulani, christians, muslims, pagans and co, we are one people. We have one common enemy and that's our government. Let's not be distracted. Let's stop attacking one another. Focus on the enemy first.

43 Likes

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by mariahAngel(f): 6:46pm On Oct 22, 2020
I hope the ongoing crisis does not jeopardize her chances...

2 Likes

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by Nelly4you: 6:46pm On Oct 22, 2020
mtcheew make we get another topic jare
hot ones
Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by Kemistri4(m): 6:47pm On Oct 22, 2020
Congrats. Ada Umuahia...

9 Likes

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by Burgerlomo: 6:48pm On Oct 22, 2020
Congratulations

6 Likes

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by crossfm: 6:49pm On Oct 22, 2020
Great news.

At list,one good news for the past two weeks.

We Nigerians are great people with a lot of potentials.Just unfortunate to be ruled by redundant kleptomaniac.

10 Likes

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by chrisifeanyi: 6:51pm On Oct 22, 2020
I'm happy for this woman. Keep soaring Ma.

On the other issue, SARS might be bad but these guys did some pretty good jobs before now. There are bad eggs among them and scrapping them will pose danger to people.
There are hardened criminals that doesn't fear police. Only SARS will make them shiver.
I'm not in support of their brutality but government should provide alternative.
If we tell ourselves the truth, most people that got killed in sars detention are hardened criminals that would have been released easily by police and they will continue terrorising people.
I've seen a criminal that was busy terrorising a community, he was arrested severally and after some months police will release him and he will continue killing people, not until SARS picked him and nobody heard about him anymore.
Let's watch out, criminal activities will resume in full force after these protest.

Yes, SARS men are bad but there are good ones among them.

1 Like

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by tot(f): 6:51pm On Oct 22, 2020
myBraine:
Very commendable.

While Nigerian youths are busy disgracing us globally, a female scholar, technocrat and think-tank member of the past administration is making us proud.

Nonetheless, if I was her, I'll retreat from heading WTO just to show solidarity with my country in this challenging time.

I'm surprised you didn't ask her to go into Agriculture, as per your usual modus operandi.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by irepnaija4eva(m): 6:51pm On Oct 22, 2020
On a norms.... This supposed to be our president o...
But idiots will still elect idiots..

7 Likes

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by moshoodn(m): 6:52pm On Oct 22, 2020
WTO..

Another classic example of how well Nigerians are doing well outside the shores of Nigeria.

Imagine how best if the country was enabling.

3 Likes

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by Firstorderwizard(m): 6:52pm On Oct 22, 2020
Congrats but we have more serious issues to deal with.
#Endbadgovernance
#Endhunger
#Endsars
Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by horsepower102: 6:52pm On Oct 22, 2020
Its over
Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by Rugaria: 6:52pm On Oct 22, 2020
Some people will be making the country proud... While others will be busy bringing shame to the country as they murder their fellow citizens...

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by FanOfMyself: 6:53pm On Oct 22, 2020
Cordis92:
Nigeria is blessed. We only have bad leaders. I'm igbo but I won't say igbo amaka because of this. Nigeria amaka!

Yoruba, igbo, hausa, fulani, christians, muslims, pagans and co, we are one people. We have one common enemy and that's our government. Let's no be distracted. Let's stop attacking one another. Focus on the enemy first.
Nne imaka! Aswear... permission to pm you?
Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 6:54pm On Oct 22, 2020
Okonjo iweala for the job, me and my family supports her

3 Likes

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by Cordis92(f): 6:54pm On Oct 22, 2020
Feel free wink
Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by letitrainnow(m): 6:55pm On Oct 22, 2020
grin
Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by FanOfMyself: 6:56pm On Oct 22, 2020
Cordis92:
Feel free wink
Done. Reply sharp sharp...no time
Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by potopotoking: 6:57pm On Oct 22, 2020
Igbo amaka

3 Likes

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by frog12: 6:58pm On Oct 22, 2020
she's WON. unless TRUMP wants to be last minute SPOILER.

they rigged it for her!!

3 Likes

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by Truthteller2020: 6:59pm On Oct 22, 2020
myBraine:
Very commendable.

Stop disgracing yourself mumu

3 Likes

Re: WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped by IJOBA2: 7:01pm On Oct 22, 2020
SOME PEOPLE WILL FIND IT DIFFICULT TO SLEEP THIS NIGHT sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Boko Haram Jihadist Snatched 25 Communities From Niger State Govt - FIJ / Go After Real Culprits, IYC Tells Buhari / EXPOSED: Do You Know President Buhari Had Divorced Aisha His Wife, 3 Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.