Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,056 members, 7,956,946 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 11:27 PM

Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) (47240 Views)

900-Year-Old Church Carved Downward Into A Huge Rock In Ethiopia (Photos) / MFM Church Bride Weds Without Makeup, Rocks Makeup At Reception / Prophet Cosmos Walker Predicted The Ethiopian Airline Crash On Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by PervertProphet: 10:09am On Nov 15, 2020
Judolisco:
So beautiful.... D official religion in Ethiopia is Christianity, I think Ethiopia is d only country in Africa that was not colonized by d whites... It shows the country has been existing since

That's why I tell people. Islam regress nations it enters into. The North is our problem because of Islam. Same way, islam is trying to take foot in Ethiopia and ruin it like they did Somali, Sudan, etcetera

3 Likes

Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by Nobody: 10:09am On Nov 15, 2020
Bobotic:
Are you sure this country (Ethiopia) is in Africa, Their way differs, they are cool shocked

The problem with you guys is down to the fact that you know absolutely nothing about Africa.

You don't know crap hence you are prone to be shocked/surprised by normal things such as these.

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by lexy2014: 10:09am On Nov 15, 2020
zpakln:
Peter may have built his church upon a rock, but the ruling king in 12th century Ethiopia decided to build his churches into the rocks themselves.

Which church did Peter have& on which rock did he build it?
Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by slowice(m): 10:09am On Nov 15, 2020
Amazing architecture..... Neatly chiselled out of a rock. This people have been developed for over 1000years.....imagine what they built hundreds of years ago when most parts of the world was still living in caves and bushes

1 Like

Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by Lethal234(m): 10:10am On Nov 15, 2020
CSTRR:

Ethiopians are rugged people.
A civil war will not be funny.

BUT the govt will win.

Well let's just hope it doesn't take too long and wide. If it spills into East Africa countries, it's gonna create a lot of hit. Some people down here are only waiting for the right wavelength.
Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by Chioma1989: 10:16am On Nov 15, 2020
Nice one. I like Ethiopia. So unproblematic

Major civil war has broken out in Ethiopia between the northern regional government of Tigray and the federal government. Fighting is raging on now and thousands have been displaced and killed within the past eleven days.

Good thing about Ethiopia is their beautiful women, wether rich or poor, they look so pretty

3 Likes

Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by LordOfTheGame: 10:18am On Nov 15, 2020
Reno Omokri have been there. I saw a picture he took while there.
To God be the glory.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 15, 2020
Ethiopia is definitely the oldest outpost of Christianity in Sub-Saharan Africa, by the way. Christianity got to Ethiopia straight from Syria around 300 AD. And it was through the Greeks that religion got there.

The second should be the the what we know today as Sudan(during the Nubian era).

And the third should be modern day Angola(under the Bakongo kings).

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by DropsMic(m): 10:23am On Nov 15, 2020
PerfectlyPerfect:
I love your site. Keep it up
Thanks
Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by mainman7(m): 10:25am On Nov 15, 2020
Dpharisee:
This is nice. I hope that Ethiopia end the ongoing war in the Tigray region and restore peace in the land
Blood-thirsty Islam is the Satanic tool shattering Peace of every hitherto cool Regions of the World. Study what is happening in Ethiopia and you will understand.

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by Maximus85(m): 10:26am On Nov 15, 2020
The cross was never Christian. Argue with encyclopedia.
Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by mightyhazel: 10:36am On Nov 15, 2020
Nice one. I like Ethiopia. So unproblematic
Them dey gear up for civil war now o
Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by babaarewa(m): 10:37am On Nov 15, 2020
Bobotic:
Are you sure this country (Ethiopia) is in Africa, Their way differs, they are cool shocked
Look well is can make anything out of it.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by NoFucksToGive: 10:40am On Nov 15, 2020
jesusjnr2020:
Simply awesome!

Jesus said:

"upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Matthew 16:18

God bless.
grin
Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by vioment: 10:43am On Nov 15, 2020
Ethopia needs prayers for sense against their infighting.
Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by Nobody: 10:45am On Nov 15, 2020
Bobotic:

The only African country that wasn't colonised.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 15, 2020
Mancrossfire:
Ethiopia has existed for ages. I read elsewhere that the first name of Africa was Ethiopia. It was until the Romans conquered the ethiopians that the name was changed. The name of the emperor that conquered Ethiopia was africanos. According to the the Roman's tradition whoever conquered an empire earned the right to have his conquered empire name after him. So africanos was given the right to have Ethiopia continent named after him. Hence the name of Ethiopia continent was changed from Ethiopia to Africa.

Africa is the original home of all mankind.

You know what you have written up there is garbage, right?

Delete it. It's embarrassing!

For the records, Ethiopia was a name which the ancient Greeks used whenever they wanted to talk about the realm Kush(that is in modern-day Sudan) and the people contained in it. At no point in time was Ethiopia the name of the whole of Africa. Neither was it the "first name" of Africa.

And... there was no such Roman general by the name "Africanos"(sh*t, nigg*r where did you get that from ). Unless you are talking about a certain Scipio Africanus whose real name was only Publius Cornelius Scipio... the Africanus in his name was simply a nickname of sorts due to his military exploits in North Africa during the Second Punic War(Rome vs Carthage). In other words, Scipio Africanus got his name from Africa and not the other way around.

It was never- I repeat never his name.

I can tell you this for free, the etymology of the name "Africa" is still very much a heated debate. So, please sir, don't come here and misinform people. It is dangerous.

The Origin of the name Africa. Please read up and be better informed:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.sahistory.org.za/article/africa-whats-name&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiBmZWzooTtAhWF_qQKHfOCAzIQFnoECAsQBA&usg=AOvVaw3EagK49t8xaSqWEvi30iCM

In Lord Nelson's voice: I have done my duty.

3 Likes

Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by Nobody: 10:56am On Nov 15, 2020
mainman7:
Blood-thirsty Islam is the Satanic tool shattering Peace of every hitherto cool Regions of the World. Study what is happening in Ethiopia and you will understand.

Come on watch the news and stop capping garbage here.

What is happening in Ethiopia has nothing to do with religion but ethnic strife.

You guys have zero idea about a particular issue yet you would still want to go ahead to make uninformed comments thereby making a mockery of yourselves on a global scale.

Why is there a War in Ethiopia(Tigray region). Read! Read!! Read!!!

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.npr.org/2020/11/13/934241830/what-to-know-about-ethiopias-tigray-conflict&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjGjYiXpITtAhWGGewKHWVOCLsQFjADegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw12wxQbUUxyMYjfrP_58YMf

3 Likes

Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 15, 2020
CSTRR:
It's also strange that Ethiopia IS about to enter a civil war right when they were set to cut Egypt from the Nile.

Some people have attributed it to the curse of the Pharaohs.
The ancient Pharaohs cursed anybody that will divert the river Nile.

But I think the Egyptian government is trying to keep Ethiopia busy so they won't build the dam.

Who told you all that s#it that you posted up there

Many of you here on NL are seriously uninformed. Simple.

Get educated, buddy. What you currently have in Ethiopia has been simmering for some years now. Egypt doesn't even have to do anything about it for it to actually explode into the inferno that it is at the moment.

The main external culprit- I'd we can even call them that- has got to be Eritrea. Not Egypt.
Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by Nobody: 11:09am On Nov 15, 2020
PervertProphet:

I am of the view. It will be islam from within trying to disintegrate that country and make it lose all her Christian heritage like they did to Syria and other former Christian lands.

When you won't watch the news, why won't you be talking like someone in a beer parlour.

Just keep to your Zeeworld or whatever religious channel it is that you watch and stop trying very hard to analyse international affairs or politics.

Ethiopia's current crisis is of the ethnic sort. Religion has absolutely nothing to do with it.

But I figure you still won't be able to understand what I am trying to pass across. So, don't bother stressing your brain until you embarrass yourself on a global proportion.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by justli: 11:13am On Nov 15, 2020
DropsMic:
Their churches are something else...
Checkout pictures of Abuna Yemata Guh.. It is currently the most Inaccessible Place of Worship on Earth..

Read more:
The most Inaccessible Place of Worship on Earth

Wow, the art work is simply breathtaking. If it was Europe, they would have listed it as one of the wonders of the world...

1 Like

Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by justli: 11:21am On Nov 15, 2020
patrickmuf:
Not anymore...

Even now they are so peaceful, lovely and intelligent people, except of course the Muslim populated regions.

I once had an encounter with two Ethiopian ladies sometimes last year, they're nothing short of angels prompting me to do a Google search on them and the feedback from across the world was unbelievable...
Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by seguno2: 11:24am On Nov 15, 2020
akosy:
Wow! 900 years ago. This is unusual.
This kind of Architecture can only be inspirational.

We may have something similar in age here but we have not bothered to research and revamp it?
Like the Eredo Sungbo.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 11:24am On Nov 15, 2020
This is the Church of lalibela one the most impressive structures of sub sahara.
Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 11:29am On Nov 15, 2020
justli:

Even now they are so peaceful, lovely and intelligent people, except of course the Muslim populated regions.

I once had an encounter with two Ethiopian ladies sometimes last year, they're nothing short of angels prompting me to do a Google search on them and the feedback from across the world was unbelievable...

Really Muslim populated region? So you are trying to tell me the rebels causing trouble in Ethiopia are now Muslims. I am 100% sure you a little or zero knowledge about the country call Ethiopia.P.S Muslims population only make up to 30% of the total population.

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by NORSIYK(m): 11:31am On Nov 15, 2020
CSTRR:

A region is not happy they are out of power, just like what the north did against Jonathan.
They started creating trouble.

But president abiy is not like Jonathan.
He is going to crush them with military force.

The powerful Tigray region of Ethiopia aren't people you play with, though they might be less than 7% of Ethiopian population but they are warriors Abiy Ahmed should be careful.
The Tigray people almost singlehandedly fought the Derg regime for close to 17 years and emerged victorious, which was led by Meles Zanawi.
Abiy Ahmed should remember that his Oromo people protested about not being in power for so long which prompted the then, prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn to resign which Abiy Ahmed benefited from, He should listen to the Tigray people instead waging war against them.
Meanwhile Abiy Ahmed is prime Minister not president
Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by Goldpearl05(f): 11:41am On Nov 15, 2020
wow, this is awesome
Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by martius101(m): 11:55am On Nov 15, 2020
zpakln:
Peter may have built his church upon a rock, but the ruling king in 12th century Ethiopia decided to build his churches into the rocks themselves.

SOURCE: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2352138/The-amazing-900-year-old-churches-Ethiopias-New-Jerusalem-built-solid-rock.html

my question is why we're all this churches carved at that time with stones....the place looks like there is more to it than just a. ordinary church....all this early Christian's were devil o.....
Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by UCHIHAmask: 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2020
zpakln:

SOURCE: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2352138/The-amazing-900-year-old-churches-Ethiopias-New-Jerusalem-built-solid-rock.html
Ethiopia!!!
The only unadulterated ancient black people,far distant in age than ancient Egypt,they were never colonized by europeans,they resisted Italians who occupied them for 5years,till date the sign of Italians 5years occupation of Ethiopia is almost nonexistent........
Unadulterated,one of the world's oldest independent nation with 5 millions years back skeletal reference.
Ethiopia is black!!!!
Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by blingxx(m): 12:49pm On Nov 15, 2020
Johnsinia:
Why is it that we don't have anything historically unique in Nigeria?

We actually do ,we just didn't document them our history is lost
Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by Onyenna(m): 1:02pm On Nov 15, 2020
Dpharisee:
This is nice. I hope that Ethiopia end the ongoing war in the Tigray region and restore peace in the land

I hope so too.... That country is too cool to be at war... It’s shockingly heartbreaking

1 Like

Re: Amazing Ancient Ethiopian Churches Carved Out Of Rocks (photos) by aminusodiq(m): 1:08pm On Nov 15, 2020
DropsMic:
Their churches are something else...
Checkout pictures of Abuna Yemata Guh.. It is currently the most Inaccessible Place of Worship on Earth..

Read more:
The most Inaccessible Place of Worship on Earth
dis post isn't comprehensive enough... Found just one onnur blog

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Prayer Gym" This Hilarious Church Poster Has Gone Viral / Why Dunamis Church Constructed Dual Carriageway In Mararaba – Dr. Paul Enenche / Good Occult Fraternities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.