Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,530 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:55 AM

Postpartum Somebody? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Postpartum Somebody? (1880 Views)

Man Bathes His Wife, Cooks For Her During Her Postpartum Recovery (Pix, Video) / I’m Having Serious POSTPARTUM / Ese Walter Ark Shares Her Postpartum Depression (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Postpartum Somebody? by Franzinni: 7:08am On Oct 24, 2020
I never knew something like this existed, why I am making this thread is because yesterday I erroneously lambasted a lady on NL who was going through postpartum, in my ignorance I kept tryin to provide solutions "the African way" without knowing anything about what she was going through. I have not been able to sleep because my brain has been trying to dissolve the possibility that a nursing mother can actually have feelings of hatred for her baby.

Now I know there is a lot to it beyond hatred, there is depression and a feeling of emptiness, which are some symptoms, and the hatred (difficulty to bond actually) mostly comes as a side effect.

I wish I knew all these before I went guns blazing but I know now and will beg the professionals on this forum to try and educate as much as possible people like me. Imagine that lady was my wife, in my ignorance I would have started calling her family and believing she must have demons whispering into her ear "the African way" and she will just be sinking deeper into depression.

I hope this thread will at least enlighten anyone who doesn't know about postpartum.

https://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/postpartum-depression

1 Like

Re: Postpartum Somebody? by dingbang(m): 7:18am On Oct 24, 2020
Nursing mothers dey try abeg. It is not easy.

As husbands we should be there for them and give them all the necessary emotional support.

2 Likes

Re: Postpartum Somebody? by Mindlog: 7:30am On Oct 24, 2020
There is need to incorporate mental health professionals during premarital classes, where intending couples are psychoeducated on mental health issues surrounding pregnancy and childbirth.

The worst form is postpartum psychosis, some mothers have been admitted into psychiatric facilities just 2/3 days after giving birth. sad

1 Like

Re: Postpartum Somebody? by iyatrustee(f): 8:11am On Oct 24, 2020
Yes Postpartum depression is real.

1 Like

Re: Postpartum Somebody? by sisisioge: 8:22am On Oct 24, 2020
What can they do about the loose tissue in the belly? A friend got it from her two pregnancies...she's been self conscious ever since.

2 Likes

Re: Postpartum Somebody? by crackhaus: 9:00am On Oct 24, 2020
God or whomever the engineer/designer of the female specie is, really did a wonderful job on them. No jokes...

The mechanisms and complication of this gender is quite amazing... almost makes you want to perform experiments on their physiology to understand exactly what could be going on underneath to warrant their sometimes weird behaviours/anomalies.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Postpartum Somebody? by pozehnani(f): 9:05am On Oct 24, 2020
Mehnn the day I heard a woman sharing her experience with her first child, I thought she had gone bunkers. She said there are times she feels like harming the baby. Like what the heck??!... But funnily enough, none of my sisters have made mention of such wierd experience while nursing a newborn.

Could it be it only happens to certain people? Maybe people with a history of mental health issue?

More explanations to this please. And how can one manage or even prevent such situations..

Lalasticlala
Mynd44

Please do the needful For a wider view and advice from experts in the house.
Re: Postpartum Somebody? by dingbang(m): 9:15am On Oct 24, 2020
pozehnani:
Mehnn the day I heard a woman sharing her experience with her first child, I thought she had gone bunkers. She said there are times she feels like harming the baby. Like what the heck??!... But funnily enough, none of my sisters have made mention of such wierd experience while nursing a newborn.

Could it be it only happens to certain people? Maybe people with a history of mental health issue?

More explanations to this please. And how can one manage or even prevent such situations..

shocked shocked for ladies who are so conscious of their body, when they loose shape, this can also trigger post-partum depression

1 Like

Re: Postpartum Somebody? by mariahAngel(f): 11:18am On Oct 24, 2020
sisisioge:
What can they do about the loose tissue in the belly? A friend got it from her two pregnancies...she's been self conscious ever since.

She'll gradually grow into and learn to love the new woman she has become.
Re: Postpartum Somebody? by sisisioge: 11:30am On Oct 24, 2020
mariahAngel:

She'll gradually grow into and learn to love the new woman she has become.

Chai...what a price to pay. She even had CS twice and still gets pangs of spinal complications from the experience. Na wa o...may God bless our mothers.

1 Like

Re: Postpartum Somebody? by mariahAngel(f): 12:32pm On Oct 24, 2020
sisisioge:

Chai...what a price to pay. She even had CS twice and still gets pangs of spinal complications from the experience. Na wa o...may God bless our mothers.

Chai!
Re: Postpartum Somebody? by JovialJune(f): 1:06pm On Oct 24, 2020

5 Likes

Re: Postpartum Somebody? by LadySarah: 5:35pm On Oct 24, 2020
sisisioge:

she can't do anything aside going under the knife. I guess the pangs is cos of the epidural. women suffer in childbirth walahi!
Re: Postpartum Somebody? by frozen70(f): 6:09pm On Oct 24, 2020
pozehnani:

Lalasticlala
Mynd44

The simple truth here is if your partner loves you and willing to give a helping hand and also both of you plan for the baby, nothing of such will happen
Re: Postpartum Somebody? by Abiababe(f): 6:09pm On Oct 24, 2020
Its funny how someone is saying because i went through postpartum depression, i cant have my children. *sobs*

(1) (Reply)

My Mom Borrowed Money For My Younger Brother To Learn Yahoo / BONANZA!!!:- 2.4kva Inverter + 2 Batteries Complete For Just N99,990. / What A Mother-in-law Told Her Daughter-in-law The Night Of Her Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.