Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,286 members, 7,815,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? (2877 Views)

Niger Gov, Bago Revokes C Of O Of State-owned IBB University / ASUU Strike: What Is The Resolution Of The ASUU Chapter In Your School? / Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by CodeTemplar: 11:41am On Oct 24, 2020
The state owned universities have been shut down along with the federal ones and I can't see any link between the state schools and the demands of ASUU. ASUU wants universities funded by the federal government but the state owned universities are owned by states and should be funded by states. From what I know, every state is at liberty to establish as many schools as they want and employ as many hands as they desire to. So how will a federal education budget trickle down to state universities?

Please help me out with any piece of information I might be missing in all of this.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by CodeTemplar: 11:42am On Oct 24, 2020
Cc: Lalasticlala, Seun.

1 Like

Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by YoonSung50: 11:44am On Oct 24, 2020
I want to know too

1 Like

Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by chukwunedum150(m): 12:14pm On Oct 24, 2020
yes, i want to know too

1 Like

Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by Tony142: 12:14pm On Oct 24, 2020
CodeTemplar:
The state owned universities have been shut down along with the federal ones and I can't see any link between the state schools and the demands of ASUU. ASUU wants universities funded by the federal government but the state owned universities are owned by states and should be funded by states. From what I know, every state is at liberty to establish as many schools as they want and employ as many hands as they desire to. So how will a federal education budget trickle down to state universities?

Please help me out with any piece of information I might be missing in all of this.

Greediness

2 Likes

Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by jetguy(m): 12:27pm On Oct 24, 2020
E shocked me oo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by youngking22(m): 1:20pm On Oct 24, 2020
well as at Wednesday, Ebonyi state University (EBSU) is no more a member of ASUU . we move

8 Likes

Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 24, 2020
Kwara state university are not part of ASUU strike
Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by WalkerMichael(m): 5:04pm On Oct 24, 2020
LASU IS NOT ON STRIKE !
Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by CodeTemplar: 5:04pm On Oct 24, 2020
MuhMubRaj:
Kwara state university are not part of ASUU strike
So they are in the classroom receiving lecturer?
Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by CodeTemplar: 5:07pm On Oct 24, 2020
WalkerMichael:
LASU IS NOT ON STRIKE !
Good to hear.
Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by dohyinsohlah(m): 5:29pm On Oct 24, 2020
Osun state University is not on strike

2 Likes

Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by CodeTemplar: 5:42pm On Oct 24, 2020
WalkerMichael:
LASU IS NOT ON STRIKE !
Good to hear.
Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Oct 24, 2020
CodeTemplar:
So they are in the classroom receiving lecturer?
Yes, until yesterday when a 24hrs curfew was imposed
Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by olril17(m): 7:37pm On Oct 24, 2020
UNIOSUN is not on strike.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by okololo: 8:02pm On Oct 24, 2020
Kogi State University is not on strike

1 Like

Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by nopretense: 8:05pm On Oct 24, 2020
CodeTemplar:

Same question has been asked over time.
I think it's basically for solidarity, adding their weight to make it more serious..

1 Like

Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by DontBullshitMe: 9:27pm On Oct 24, 2020
Solidarity.

1 Like

Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by edogu(m): 9:32pm On Oct 24, 2020
youngking22:
well as at Wednesday, Ebonyi state University (EBSU) is no more a member of ASUU . we move
Chai! Nawa for you. Where did you get your fact from? By the way, EBSU staff are yet to get their three months salaries. In case you are related to the Governor, please convey this information to him, cheers!
Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by Aguemma(m): 10:18pm On Oct 24, 2020
AAU is not on strike
Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by chikason68(m): 11:22pm On Oct 24, 2020
edogu:

Chai! Nawa for you. Where did you get your fact from? By the way, EBSU staff are yet to get their three months salaries. In case you are related to the Governor, please convey this information to him, cheers!
He's right. Engr. Dave have proscribe all unions (ASUU, NASU etc) apart from SUG in EBSU until further notice and asked all workers to resume work immediately. He also approved the payment of 80% of their outstanding allowance abi salary.
Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by edogu(m): 1:54am On Oct 25, 2020
chikason68:

He's right. Engr. Dave have proscribe all unions (ASUU, NASU etc) apart from SUG in EBSU until further notice and asked all workers to resume work immediately. He also approved the payment of 80% of their outstanding allowance abi salary.
I still maintain what I said earlier. He was just playing to the gallery. He doesn't have such power. He even threatened to sack any lecturer who fail to resume work. How do you threatened them when you have not paid their three months salaries. What's the guarantee that if they accept such arrangement, it will not continue even when things stabilizes. That was the same thing he did at College of Education, Ikwo. Till today, what they are receiving as salary compared to their colleagues in other institutions can be described as peanuts. Initially, he threatened to lock up the the university and go with the key. My brother, it won't work. He tried to meander his way using few persons who tagged themselves as "Divine Mandate Professors", but failed. EBSU have never had it this bad.

Under Sam Egwu and Elechi's tenure as Governors, the monthly subvention to university was around 250million. Today, the monthly subvention is now between 100 and 150 million naira. To add to the injury, the current Vice Chancellor happens to be rubber stamp.

In that address he made to the endsars protesters, he claimed to have released 500 million naira for their salaries. Even with the 80% proposed by him, the money cannot cover for the three months. I guess you don't know Dave Umahi very well. He can't be trusted.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 6:35am On Oct 25, 2020
ASUU is a union. The union is made up of lecturers in public universities. Universities have a standard. To operate you must meet those standards irrespective of who owns the school. Some of these standards are there because the union, a pressure group, presurised FG who is the custodian of these standards to up the bar. One of such standards is funding. So whether the school is owned by the state or FG, provided it is a public tertiary institution, it must be funded by FG. These includes universities, polytecnics, monotechnics and colleges of education. That is why if you go around the country you will see facilities built by TETFUND in both Federal schools and state schools.

The schools must not necessarily be closed. But lecturers who are members of the union won't offer their services. And there is notin the owners of the school (state government) can do because the lecturers do not work for the state but for the school. For example, someone who works for Abia state ministry of agriculture will get an employment later from Abia state government. A lecturer in abia state university gets an employment letter from the governing council of Abia state University. There are labour rules the council is bound by which allows the lecturers to strike lawfully and the council gets fund for the school from FG.

13 Likes

Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by xareal(m): 9:50am On Oct 25, 2020
Delta state university is not on strike
Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by swiz123(m): 11:41am On Oct 25, 2020
faceURfront:
ASUU is a union. The union is made up of lecturers in public universities. Universities have a standard. To operate you must meet those standards irrespective of who owns the school. Some of these standards are there because the union, a pressure group, presurised FG who is the custodian of these standards to up the bar. One of such standards is funding. So whether the school is owned by the state or FG, provided it is a public tertiary institution, it must be funded by FG. These includes universities, polytecnics, monotechnics and colleges of education. That is why if you go around the country you will see facilities built by TETFUND in both Federal schools and state schools.

The schools must not necessarily be closed. But lecturers who are members of the union won't offer their services. And there is notin the owners of the school (state government) can do because the lecturers do not work for the state but for the school. For example, someone who works for Abia state ministry of agriculture will get an employment later from Abia state government. A lecturer in abia state university gets an employment letter from the governing council of Abia state University. There are labour rules the council is bound by which allows the lecturers to strike lawfully and the council gets fund for the school from FG.

Well written, but FG don't fund State Universities.
Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Oct 25, 2020
swiz123:

Well written, but FG don't fund State Universities.

They do, through the TETFUND.

1 Like

Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by Abcruz(m): 3:11pm On Oct 25, 2020
Aguemma:
AAU is not on strike

It seems the AAU you're referring to has another meaning.

1 Like

Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by Temiel(m): 4:18pm On Oct 25, 2020
faceURfront:

Thanks for this explanation.
Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by naptha: 6:42pm On Oct 25, 2020
faceURfront:

They do, through the TETFUND.
TETFUND is source from private companies located in different states. So state Universities are eligible to share from it. FG doesn't directly fund state higher institutions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by samuelpeters(m): 8:57pm On Oct 25, 2020
I made a post yesterday but was banned.

State universites are under ASUU for several reasons.
First, for solidarity. state universites usually join those in federal to go on strike so that the effect would be felt across the country. Which translates to FG paying attention to them.

Secondly,it makes them confident and fearless.
It means that no state university management or governor can intimidate them anyhow.The keyword here is "anyhow". Its not like its not possible but it wouldn't be a walk in the park.
E.g threatening to sack them or try to force them to resume.

Thirdly,it gives them an upper hand, similar to the one above. ASUU in state universites could replicate what FG does for their counterparts in federal.e.g salary range for federal and state is almost the same. Sometimes better.

Fourthly,it gives them the right to also access some benefits like funds coming from FG( federal government way of helping state universites). which was one of the many struggles of ASUU. e.g TETFUND. "nobody believes in monkey de work baboon de chop".
ASUU in federal cannot starve themselves,interrupt their calendar in their various schools,then the benefits will now trickle down to states(it could cause serious problem).

Also the union is already popular. So it wouldn't make sense for all state universites to start having their different unions. It could cause confusion. Lets call this reason Uniformity/popularity. E.g. the name "ASUU" would send shiver down the throat of any student in public universites than any other name (that they might come up with) would. grin

So you see, state universites also benefit from the union. Universites that don't have ASUU are always intimidated by the school management or the government. Remember that ASUU both in federal and state could go on strike just to stop/help one university.

It benefits management and students if their academic staff are not under ASUU. it means there wont be strike, uninterrupted calendar. but it spells doom for these staff because nobody would come to their recue if things are not working in their favour.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are State Owned University Part Of The ASUU Strike? by samuelpeters(m): 9:16pm On Oct 25, 2020
naptha:

TETFUND is source from private companies located in different states. So state Universities are eligible to share from it. FG doesn't directly fund state higher institutions.
You are correct to an extent. ASUU made TETFUND available. It is funded by both companies and FG. If it's only private companies that funds TETFUND, how many companies do we have in some states??
So you see, because some states may or may not have any company. but by virtue of state universites being members of ASUU,they could assess these funds like everyother member in states that have more companies.

I'm trying to relate it to one of the reason why state universites joined ASUU.
TETFUND is owned by FG and ASUU could to an extent influence who gets what. Now imagine state universites having their own union. ASUU would make sure nothing gets to them. Making them depend only on their respective state governments for funding of any kind.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unical Admission List / NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: / Sad Scenes As Twitter User, Segun Drinks Sniper Live On Twitter Over Jamb Score

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.