Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,109 members, 7,835,747 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Help With My Withering Tomatoes - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Help With My Withering Tomatoes (569 Views)

Please Where Can I Buy Indeterminate Tomatoes Seeds Here In Nigeria / Buyers Of Onions And Tomatoes In Bulk Let's Meet Here / Tomatoes And Pepper Investments Very Lucrative!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help With My Withering Tomatoes by Clentuzbaba(m): 1:08pm On Oct 24, 2020
Hi people, please I need help on how to savage my dying tomatoes. I just discovered that as their fruit is nearing maturity they started withering one after the other.
I plead to those with experience to please guide me.

Re: Help With My Withering Tomatoes by Akinola100: 3:12pm On Oct 24, 2020
Fungal infection. Cause : Excessive rainfall.
Re: Help With My Withering Tomatoes by Cedagrochemical(f): 3:32pm On Oct 24, 2020
What variety is this?
Re: Help With My Withering Tomatoes by Clentuzbaba(m): 4:13pm On Oct 24, 2020
Cedagrochemical:
What variety is this?
Cherry
Re: Help With My Withering Tomatoes by Cedagrochemical(f): 6:36pm On Oct 24, 2020
Clentuzbaba:

Cherry

To me, this is a combination of Wilt and Blight, the variety doesn't have resistance to Wilt

Any tomato variety that doesn't have resistance to Wilt especially bacterial wilt isn't worth cultivating. It's just a waste of time, effort and resources
Re: Help With My Withering Tomatoes by Cedagrochemical(f): 6:41pm On Oct 24, 2020
The first thing I consider when choosing a tomato variety for cultivation isn't the yield but the disease resistance

Once it doesn't state that it is resistant to Wilt, I ditch it

As for Blight, it can be controlled if you spray the right fungicide ( Ortiva top, Cabrio, neem oil etc)
Re: Help With My Withering Tomatoes by Earthstorms(m): 6:44pm On Oct 24, 2020
Clentuzbaba:
Hi people, please I need help on how to savage my dying tomatoes. I just discovered that as their fruit is nearing maturity they started withering one after the other.
I plead to those with experience to please guide me.

This is must likely fusarium wilt.

There is no cure for it. The soil will remain infected for up to 4 years, so avoid planting any subsceptible crop on that soil.

It is soil borne and enters the plant through the roots.

To minimise the spread
Uproot infected crops and burn them
Pour bleach solution in the soil area were the infected crops were removed from

Avoid using fertiliser containing urea as nitrogen source, use nitrates.
Plant resistant varieties, resistance is denoted by F in the seed label, it is better to plant varieties with VFFFN resistance, meaning the variety is resistant to Verticillium wilt, the 3 races of fusarium wilt and to nematode infestation.
Lime your soil to increase the soil PH, acidic soil encourage fusarium wilt
Drain the soil, excessive water in the soil is recipe for fusarium wilt attack. That is one of the main reasons why tomato production in the raining season in the south is difficult. Dig gutters after a few rows of your plant to drain off excessive water from the soil.

It is reported that garlic kills the spores in the soil, you can use that if you do not want to use bleach but your best bet is growing resistant varieties.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help With My Withering Tomatoes by Clentuzbaba(m): 3:10pm On Oct 26, 2020
Earthstorms:

This is must likely fusarium wilt.

There is no cure for it. The soil will remain infected for up to 4 years, so avoid planting any subsceptible crop on that soil.

It is soil borne and enters the plant through the roots.

To minimise the spread
Uproot infected crops and burn them
Pour bleach solution in the soil area were the infected crops were removed from

Avoid using fertiliser containing urea as nitrogen source, use nitrates.
Plant resistant varieties, resistance is denoted by F in the seed label, it is better to plant varieties with VFFFN resistance, meaning the variety is resistant to Verticillium wilt, the 3 races of fusarium wilt and to nematode infestation.
Lime your soil to increase the soil PH, acidic soil encourage fusarium wilt
Drain the soil, excessive water in the soil is recipe for fusarium wilt attack. That is one of the main reasons why tomato production in the raining season in the south is difficult. Dig gutters after a few rows of your plant to drain off excessive water from the soil.

It is reported that garlic kills the spores in the soil, you can use that if you do not want to use bleach but your best bet is growing resistant varieties.

This is very helpful
Re: Help With My Withering Tomatoes by sylve11: 3:56pm On Oct 26, 2020
Earthstorms:

Wonderful! shocked cool

(1) (Reply)

Price Update For Our Day Old Birds (broiler,pullet, Cockerel And Turkey) In Ibad / Best Coffee Importers And Exporters By Countries 2021 / Agriculture: Never Despise The Days Little Beginning.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.