Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,872 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills (2079 Views)

I'm About To Start My Programming Learning Journey / My Programming Life Story.. Don't Miss.. / I Want To Learn Programming Skills And I Need A Tutor! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by kensmoney(m): 8:26am On Oct 25, 2020
I am a average web developer with the following stack (python(django and flask) , javascript (react) ) but I have not gotten any offer or any valuable thing with it. How can make cash with it and how can I improve.
I have applied for more than 200 jobs with no response
Plz I just need assistant
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by shawn55ng: 10:16am On Oct 25, 2020
Develop one for me then I will spread your news. You will be the one to run for jobs Las Las.
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by DC49: 10:29am On Oct 25, 2020
kensmoney:
I am a average web developer with the following stack (python(django and flask) , javascript (react) ) but I have not gotten any offer or any valuable thing with it. How can make cash with it and how can I improve.
Try freelancing. There's a demand for React/Angular developers right now. Set up accounts on upwork and peopleperhour, and also talk to people around you. At some point, you'll meet someone who knows someone that needs something.

You can also check around your city for any web development agency. From my experience, they usually don't have more than 2 developers in their team, so schedule a visit with the manager and offer your services as a freelancer/subcontractor for whenever they need extra hands/skills on a project.

You can also use Google maps to lookup local businesses in your area that don't have a website. Even if they can't afford to pay well, atleast you'll get your name out there.
Peace. smiley

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by olukunle50: 10:50am On Oct 25, 2020
Do u av any portfolio of your own?? or you just apply without showing prove of your programming skills
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by kensmoney(m): 11:09am On Oct 25, 2020
DC49:

Try freelancing. There's a demand for React/Angular developers right now. Set up accounts on upwork and peopleperhour, and also talk to people around you. At some point, you'll meet someone who knows someone that needs something.

You can also check around your city for any web development agency. From my experience, they usually don't have more than 2 developers in their team, so schedule a visit with the manager and offer your services as a freelancer/subcontractor for whenever they need extra hands/skills on a project.

You can also use Google maps to lookup local businesses in your area that don't have a website. Even if they can't afford to pay well, atleast you'll get your name out there.
Peace.
I have upwork account, I have bid for jobs to an extend I was told to buy connection that when I lost interest.

Thanks for ur input
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by kensmoney(m): 11:12am On Oct 25, 2020
olukunle50:
Do u av any portfolio of your own?? or you just apply without showing prove of your programming skills

Yes I do, VTU and e-commerce
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by olukunle50: 11:30am On Oct 25, 2020
kensmoney:

Are u on Github??
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by olukunle50: 11:30am On Oct 25, 2020
kensmoney:

Are u on Github??
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by kensmoney(m): 11:57am On Oct 25, 2020
olukunle50:

Are u on Github??

YES
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by codeigniter(m): 12:24pm On Oct 25, 2020
kensmoney:

I have upwork account, I have bid for jobs to an extend I was told to buy connection that when I lost interest.

Thanks for ur input

that's up work for u, its really difficult to land a gigs doing web dev on any website. how long have been coding that u Haven't earned anything, drop the link to ur repo and portfolio, ur employer might be viewing this thread
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:26pm On Oct 25, 2020
Upwork isn't easy. You get just 60 connects which allows you to apply to just ten jobs. You need to apply to at least 50 to get one hit especially for a newbie with no reviews. It gets easier. You might want to change your stack. Python Django market is very bad. Learn PHP, WordPress, Shopify. That's what sells in the freelance marketplace. Learn to build WordPress themes and plugins. Learn to build Shopify themes and apps. 200 jobs without an interview. Bros this one we need to see your cv and Portfolio. Maybe na todolist full there o. You should be getting interviews at least if not anything.

Upwork can work for you but you need to invest in it. You need money to make money men. I always advise people to keep at least 50000 to 100000 to get started on Upwork. You go make the money back ten times.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by Dropcatch: 12:45pm On Oct 25, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
Upwork isn't easy. You get just 60 connects which allows you to apply to just ten jobs. You need to apply to at least 50 to get one hit especially for a newbie with no reviews. It gets easier. You might want to change your stack. Python Django market is very bad. Learn PHP, WordPress, Shopify. That's what sells in the freelance marketplace. Learn to build WordPress themes and plugins. Learn to build Shopify themes and apps. 200 jobs without an interview. Bros this one we need to see your cv and Portfolio. Maybe na todolist full there o. You should be getting interviews at least if not anything.

Upwork can work for you but you need to invest in it. You need money to make money men. I always advise people to keep at least 50000 to 100000 to get started on Upwork. You go make the money back ten times.

Why PHP. How about Java? Are there opportunities to freelance with it.
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:52pm On Oct 25, 2020
Dropcatch:

Very few alongside c#. It's much better than python though for freelancing. Enterprise companies looking for freelancers usually look for those who know java or c# but PHP is the babe for freelance works. Nothing else compares to it. Nodejs is absolutely ridiculous and useless both in freelancing and in the job market. With all the hype you would expect to see Nodejs jobs everywhere but na wash.

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by kensmoney(m): 3:00pm On Oct 25, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

I notice that php sell better so I decided to learn php basics on solo learn , though I HV not build anything with php, like I said I HV build e-commence and VTU web app with django and react js.
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:05pm On Oct 25, 2020
kensmoney:

I notice that php sell better so I decided to learn php basics on solo learn , though I HV not build anything with php, like I said I HV build e-commence and VTU web app with django and react js.
Learn PHP just build something basic. Learn WordPress and go back to Upwork. Keep like 50000. Spread it across ten weeks. 5000 per week for connects. Do not apply to job that has more than 10 applicants. Make sure the client isn't interviewing anyone. Make sure the client has a higher rate of above 60 percent and has spent at least 1000 USD on the platform. You would need to be online Morning till night on it so you can see great jobs when they are posted.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by codeigniter(m): 6:47pm On Oct 25, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Learn PHP just build something basic. Learn WordPress and go back to Upwork. Keep like 50000. Spread it across ten weeks. 5000 per week for connects. Do not apply to job that has more than 10 applicants. Make sure the client isn't interviewing anyone. Make sure the client has a higher rate of above 60 percent and has spent at least 1000 USD on the platform. You would need to be online Morning till night on it so you can see great jobs when they are posted.

morning till night grin
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:00pm On Oct 25, 2020
codeigniter:

morning till night grin

Getting a job is a full-time job also applies to freelancing too.
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by Nobody: 8:09pm On Oct 25, 2020
Dropcatch:

see ur mouth like java
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by codeigniter(m): 9:59pm On Oct 25, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Getting a job is a full-time job also applies to freelancing too.

u are right, have u landed ur first job because that the most difficult part or u are still grinding, me I have given up looking for jobs, it is just too stressful for me. most of upwork jobs are wack and u won't still get them, 9ja jobs are super selective since nepotism is a problem and most even under pay, what annoys me the most is that they don't give feedback when u don't get d job, remote jobs nko forget that one the salaries are usually good and u are competing with whole world.

I will try toptal to see whether I am going to a have different experience.

with all this some people still think when they learn to code they will magically become a millionaire

1 Like

Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:12pm On Oct 25, 2020
codeigniter:

u are right, have u landed ur first job because that the most difficult part or u are still grinding, me I have given up looking for jobs, it is just too stressful for me. most of upwork jobs are wack and u won't still get them, 9ja jobs are super selective since nepotism is a problem and most even under pay, what annoys me the most is that they don't give feedback when u don't get d job, remote jobs nko forget that one the salaries are usually good and u are competing with whole world.

I will try toptal to see whether I am going to a have different experience.

with all this some people still think when they learn to code they will magically become a millionaire
I finished my first developer job with a five star review. I got another job of 6 USD per hour after like 2 to 3 weeks but i unfortunately had to end the contract because the client is an idiot. I am presently doing one job though but this one was from an invitation. My previous jobs were marketing sha. it was when I learnt to code I switched to development. Another thing is I have had a lot of interviews through Upwork even in big American digital agencies. One job that pains me till today was a 15 USD per hour job. The only thing that disqualified me was my internet connection. My Upwork stats says I have applied to more than 200 jobs in the past 3 months. I hope to finish the present one with a five star review and continue building up my reputation. I believe life is a game of numbers. Toptal is much harder to get into than Upwork. You need to pass their codility test which is not easy. You would need to dedicate the next six months to learn data structures and algorithms to get in and it's also not a walk in the park when you get in.

This job thing is a numbers game. In real life you don't get every job you apply to its also the same thing with freelancing. You don't get every job you apply to but with persistence someone will say yes once that person says yes another will also say yes and another and another and another. Go to Reddit Cscareersection people apply to 300 400 jobs to get one job and that's in the great America. As a Nigerian you should be tripling that number men. The great thing about the tech industry is those number of jobs exist. In some other industries no jobs.

The mistake I made in the first Month I went back to Upwork was looking for Nodejs and React Jobs. Nodejs jobs are so few men so few. Lord Jesus. I would leave the PHP WordPress and be applying to nodejs and react jobs. Did that for like one month. Omho noone told me to have sense and learn PHP and apply to PHP jobs. Funny enough the week I started learning php I got my first Upwork developer contract and it involved a lot of php and WordPress.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by Karleb(m): 1:24am On Oct 26, 2020
gringringrin

All these una lamentation will not matter anymore when you get your first well paid job. grin

Make Una keep up with the pushing!
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by kensmoney(m): 4:39pm On Oct 26, 2020
This is serious, I was thinking I am only one going through this.
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by Xeeex: 4:17pm On Oct 27, 2020
kensmoney:

Do you have a github account? How many projects do you have on your github? Do you have a good resume? Do you have a good portfolio website? Which website are you using to search for jobs?
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by mcqwerty(m): 11:10am On Oct 28, 2020
Its obvious there is something wrong with your resume and cover letter.
Contact me if you need help fixing that.
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by Africangiants(m): 11:31pm On Oct 28, 2020
The funny thing is, i posted today a video which is free info by the way how you can monetize your skills and talents and now i see this thread. check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO56Erd6czs
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by olatuneji: 7:20am On Oct 29, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

I finished my first developer job with a five star review. I got another job of 6 USD per hour after like 2 to 3 weeks but i unfortunately had to end the contract because the client is an idiot. I am presently doing one job though but this one was from an invitation. My previous jobs were marketing sha. it was when I learnt to code I switched to development. Another thing is I have had a lot of interviews through Upwork even in big American digital agencies. One job that pains me till today was a 15 USD per hour job. The only thing that disqualified me was my internet connection. My Upwork stats says I have applied to more than 200 jobs in the past 3 months. I hope to finish the present one with a five star review and continue building up my reputation. I believe life is a game of numbers. Toptal is much harder to get into than Upwork. You need to pass their codility test which is not easy. You would need to dedicate the next six months to learn data structures and algorithms to get in and it's also not a walk in the park when you get in.

This job thing is a numbers game. In real life you don't get every job you apply to its also the same thing with freelancing. You don't get every job you apply to but with persistence someone will say yes once that person says yes another will also say yes and another and another and another. Go to Reddit Cscareersection people apply to 300 400 jobs to get one job and that's in the great America. As a Nigerian you should be tripling that number men. The great thing about the tech industry is those number of jobs exist. In some other industries no jobs.

The mistake I made in the first Month I went back to Upwork was looking for Nodejs and React Jobs. Nodejs jobs are so few men so few. Lord Jesus. I would leave the PHP WordPress and be applying to nodejs and react jobs. Did that for like one month. Omho noone told me to have sense and learn PHP and apply to PHP jobs. Funny enough the week I started learning php I got my first Upwork developer contract and it involved a lot of php and WordPress.

Bro, I do see you on various tech/programming thread contributing, making lots of beautiful submission, giving advice etc.

I wanted to quote you in ''Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst'' thread but it was difficult finding your moniker because of the number of pages. I never taught I could see you on this thread.

I want you to put me through, I sometime learn the basics of php late last year but I dropped it because on YouTube, I never saw any complete tutorials project on creating a website, from start to finish. The ones I was, halfway, they direct one to buy there complete course which I am financially handicap.

Bro can you send/give me the tutorial you used in learning php/WordPress with practicals, from beginning to end or if there is a YouTube channel you can point me to

I will so much appreciate it.
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:25am On Oct 29, 2020
olatuneji:

Bro, I do see you on various tech/programming thread contributing, making lots of beautiful submission, giving advice etc.

I wanted to quote you in ''Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst'' thread but it was difficult finding your moniker because of the number of pages. I never taught I could see you on this thread.

I want you to put me through, I sometime learn the basics of php late last year but I dropped it because on YouTube, I never saw any complete tutorials project on creating a website, from start to finish. The ones I was, halfway, they direct one to buy there complete course which I am financially handicap.

Bro can you send/give me the tutorial you used in learning php/WordPress with practicals, from beginning to end or if there is a YouTube channel you can point me to

That's the thing bros. PHP hardly has tutorials. Learn the basics of PHP from freecodecamp then learn laravel from freecodecamp. As for WordPress I use the docs. Not much information for WordPress out there. Even the Udemy courses are from 2015. Everything there is outdated. Deep WordPress stuff like building themes and stuffs. I am presently building a theme. Might post the code here.

4 Likes

Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by olatuneji: 7:27am On Oct 29, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

That's the thing bros. PHP hardly has tutorials. Learn the basics of PHP from freecodecamp then learn laravel from freecodecamp. As for WordPress I use the docs. Not much information for WordPress out there. Even the Udemy courses are from 2015. Everything there is outdated. Deep WordPress stuff like building themes and stuffs. I am presently building a theme. Might post the code here.

Alright thanks
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by Karleb(m): 8:48am On Oct 29, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

I'm curious. How do you mean PHP hardly has tutorials?
Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:51am On Oct 29, 2020
Karleb:

I'm curious. How do you mean PHP hardly has tutorials?
Compared to the MERN stack there's hardly any good tutorials on PHP and stuffs like WordPress and Magento. You can check YouTube for videos on how to build a Magento theme from scratch. It's rubbish small stuffs you will be seeing. Whereas check on how to do anything with MERN stack you go see them yapa everywhere. MERN stack courses too full Udemy. The deep WordPress and others courses on Udemy are outdated and useless. The funny thing is that in the job market MERN stack jobs no dey like that. Freelance market hardly any MERN stack jobs. Na the same WordPress and Magento wey everybody dey overlook na him dey o and I forgot Shopify too. Shopify uses liquid Sha.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by naijasensei: 2:09pm On Oct 30, 2020
olatuneji:

You have to dig to find the good stuff. Try searching for the following books - "PHP The Right Way", Learning" PHP 7", and "Learn PHP 7". Remember, nothing good comes easy.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Monetize My Programming Skills by etoluw: 6:39pm On Oct 31, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Compared to the MERN stack there's hardly any good tutorials on PHP and stuffs like WordPress and Magento. You can check YouTube for videos on how to build a Magento theme from scratch. It's rubbish small stuffs you will be seeing. Whereas check on how to do anything with MERN stack you go see them yapa everywhere. MERN stack courses too full Udemy. The deep WordPress and others courses on Udemy are outdated and useless. The funny thing is that in the job market MERN stack jobs no dey like that. Freelance market hardly any MERN stack jobs. Na the same WordPress and Magento wey everybody dey overlook na him dey o and I forgot Shopify too. Shopify uses liquid Sha.

if you go to pdfdrive.com or b-ok.cc you'll find several books on php and wordpress.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chatgbt Is A Scam. It Cant Solve This Simple Thing I Ask Him / Did You Compete In The Fed Min Of Communication Technology/intel Corp Contest? / COMPUTER PROGRAMMING AND WEBSITE DESIGN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.