Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,518 members, 7,812,606 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:07 PM

Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! (729 Views)

Osinbajo’s Strategy For Ending Boko Haram War / Junaid Mohammed: Buhari's Promise To Lead Boko Haram War Is Now Haunting Him / New Commander Takes Over Boko Haram War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by V7place(m): 3:57pm On Oct 25, 2020
Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! Yes one wrong step by a Police Officer is what started the mess that is Boko Haram war.
I never realized that myself until a friend reminded me its exactly what started the war!

A war that has cost Nigeria billions of dollars, tens of thousands of lives , displaced over 2.5 million and spread into three other countries. And all this started because several policemen on July 30 2009 decided to take the laws into their own hands and execute without trial Mohammed Yusuf; founder of Boko Haram.

The Army had captured Yusuf and handed him to the police alive after interrogating him. His interrogation was recorded on tape. The army did its job and rightly handed him over for prosecution. Later that day though, he was killed outside Police Headquarters in the full view of dozens if not hundreds of members of the public who were hailing the Police and chanting “ No mercy, no mercy”
Before 2009 Boko Haram was a legal organization; infact so legal that some commissioners in Borno State were members. Boko Haram infact helped ensure the election of Governor Ali Modu Sheriff. But gradually like most strict religious sects they began to go radical and eventually started attacking Christians. Borno that was the most peaceful State in Northern Nigeria and probably the whole country began to have religious skirmishes.
One of Nigeria’s greatest problems is a lack of consequence for actions whether it be reward or punishment. Mohammed Yusuf was obviously a bad man, but there is a system that exists designed to handle bad people. That system is the law and gives everyone a right to trial. Indeed a trial of Mohammed Yusuf would probably have allowed lots of fact to come out and people like Abu Musab al-Barnawi and Abubakar Shekua (present day leaders of Boko Haram successors) may have been nipped in the bud along with information as to who their sponsors were, both local and foreign. Instead his murder and the subsequent killing of hundreds of people in Borno made him a martyr and built up anti government resentment in the North and an all out war.

The job of the police is to enforce the law; it is not their job to make laws nor to give out punishment. The courts decide if a person is guilty or innocent.

Its been 17 days since the ENDSARS protests began; yet despite mass protests NOT ONE Police or SARS officer has been charged to court including those from possibly the most evil SARS office in Nigeria; Akwuzu, Anambra State where dozens if not hundreds of people were extorted, raped and executed by policemen. And this to the 50 or more people who have been killed by security officers since the protests started on October 8th including at least two extra judicial executions captured on video and seen by millions. It seems we have not learnt out lesson as a nation yet.

Police brutality can destroy a nation.
There must be reward and consequence for actions if we are to develop as a nation.
We need to rebuild and retrain our Police Force.
Nigeria itself needs a rebirth,

Source: https://v7place.com/index.php?topic=454.new#new

1 Like

Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by Metaltears: 3:58pm On Oct 25, 2020
Fake news

The two are unrelated
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by Focktot: 3:58pm On Oct 25, 2020
A lot of people forget that

It happened under Saint Jonathan.
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by Focktot: 4:01pm On Oct 25, 2020
Metaltears:
Fake news

The two are unrelated
Very related

Shekru was the second in command after Yusuf in Boko haram

Yusuf preferred Peace to violence, but when he was killed and the video of his killings circulated, Shekru had enough evidence to convince his people that violence is the only way.

1 Like

Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by SUCKCESSFUL: 4:02pm On Oct 25, 2020
Focktot:

Was it Jonathan who ordered the police to kill Yusuf extrajudicially? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by Pierocash(m): 4:03pm On Oct 25, 2020
I was telling a colleague two days ago about this same issue of the Mohammed Yusuf that led to present day terrorism in the North.

Police and SARS by extension is the problem of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by Focktot: 4:03pm On Oct 25, 2020
SUCKCESSFUL:

Was it Jonathan who ordered the police to kill Yusuf extrajudicially? undecided
I believe he was the vice president to a very sick Yaradua at that point.
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by Advision: 4:04pm On Oct 25, 2020
Quite true, I recall vividly that it was the extrajudicial killing of Yusuf that started a full blown armed insurgency, strangely, they also started by attacking police formations in the state
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by limeta(f): 4:05pm On Oct 25, 2020
Focktot:

They were always there
Was it jona that gave them islam
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by SUCKCESSFUL: 4:05pm On Oct 25, 2020
Focktot:
So you're accusing him based on your belief?

1 Like

Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by HotPoundedYam(m): 4:07pm On Oct 25, 2020
Focktot:

keep your uninspiring and uninformed hate to yourself.

it began under yaradua actually
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by Focktot: 4:07pm On Oct 25, 2020
limeta:

They were always there
He was the one that ordered the military crack down in Borno where innocent family members were lined up and killed and videos circulated.

I watch the video on a documentary on Aljaseral then.
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by Focktot: 4:08pm On Oct 25, 2020
HotPoundedYam:
yaradua actually
Yaradua was very sick at that point sir.
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by HotPoundedYam(m): 4:10pm On Oct 25, 2020
Focktot:
you people will blame Jonathan for your inability to have an erection

yaradua was the President then

1 Like

Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by Focktot: 4:11pm On Oct 25, 2020
HotPoundedYam:
you people will blame Jonathan for your inability to have an errection
If you think so

Some people still blame Osibanjo for Buhari administration problems till date.
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by Shortyy(f): 4:12pm On Oct 25, 2020
Focktot:
Look at what you're saying. He wasn't even the President but the Vice. You forget that vice Presidents have limited power. What could he have done? Oh pls!
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by limeta(f): 4:12pm On Oct 25, 2020
Focktot:
He was the one that ordered the military crack down in Borno where innocent family members were lined up and killed and videos circulated.

Are you saying you saw jona on the video giving orders

Aljazeera is muslim channel
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by Shortyy(f): 4:12pm On Oct 25, 2020
HotPoundedYam:
you people will blame Jonathan for your inability to have an erection

yaradua was the President then
As in the thing tire me!
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by Shortyy(f): 4:13pm On Oct 25, 2020
Focktot:

Stop spreading fake news please. I wonder how most of you sleep at night.
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by Throwback: 4:14pm On Oct 25, 2020
Police brutality killed a terrorist called Yusuf.

A terrorist who had already waged a religious war on Christians in Maiduguri and had already taken some Christians hostage and was executing them as he saw fit, and was trying to overrun the state and the structures of democratic government in Borno.

Yes, he was killed in Police custody after he was successfully captured by the Army, but next time research on why he had to be captured by the Army to begin with.
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by Focktot: 4:16pm On Oct 25, 2020
limeta:

Are you saying you saw jona on the video giving orders

Aljazeera is muslim channel
He was the commander in chief when it happened.
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by HotPoundedYam(m): 4:17pm On Oct 25, 2020
Focktot:
He was the commander in chief when it happened.

This was what buhari did in Lekki??
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by obyrich(m): 4:17pm On Oct 25, 2020
Focktot:
Have you forgotten how difficult it was for Jonathan to be allowed to take decision when Yaradua was sick? Have you forgotten Nigerian government was hijacked by a desperate cabal bent on subverting the constitution to oust Jonathan? Have you forgotten it was Dora Akunyili who blew it up at the FEC? Do you remember there was a cabal running affairs with the face of Aaondoaka, the attorney general?

I am asking you not to hate Jonathan, but don't twist history for posterity sake.
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by HotPoundedYam(m): 4:18pm On Oct 25, 2020
Throwback:
Police brutality killed a terrorist called Yusuf.

A terrorist who had already waged a religious war on Christians in Maiduguri and had already taken some Christians hostage and was executing them as he saw fit, and was trying to overrun the state and the structures of democratic government in Borno.

Yes, he was killed in Police custody after he was successfully captured by the Army, but next time research on why he had to be captured by the Army to begin with.

this is why I always respect throwback. he gives the truth as it really is.

the guy was arrested and killed extrajudicially.

inorder words we don't need the judiciary to effect justice grin

all the same, police brutality began Boko Haram. the narrative will never change

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by Focktot: 4:18pm On Oct 25, 2020
Shortyy:

Stop spreading fake news please. I wonder how most of you sleep at night.
Ironically people are blaming Tinubu today for Military actions despite the fact that he doesn't hold any military position.

1 Like

Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by Focktot: 4:20pm On Oct 25, 2020
obyrich:
Have you forgotten how difficult it was for Jonathan to be allowed to take decision when Yaradua was sick? Have you forgotten Nigerian government was hijacked by a desperate cabal bent on subverting the constitution to oust Jonathan? Have you forgotten it was Dora Akunyili who blew it up at the FEC? Do you remember there was a cabal running affairs with the face of Aaondoaka, the attorney general?

I am asking you not to hate Jonathan, but don't twist history for posterity sake.
Nah, same thing is repeating itself today But it doesn't stop people blaming Osibanjo.
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by Focktot: 4:22pm On Oct 25, 2020
HotPoundedYam:

This was what buhari did in Lekki??
Absolutely

The military under his command announced Operation crocodile smile V to begin that day.

We know what happened in crocodile smile 1 to 4
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by TRIGITIS: 4:22pm On Oct 25, 2020
limeta:

They were always there
Foolish comments like this makes me think goats now have access to internet.

The topic says: police brutality triggered boko haram. But just imagine the foolish comment here. The topic never said if Yusuf was not a muslim, did it? Yes, yusuf is a muslim, but the topic said, police brutality triggered bh. You can argue against the op, not pulling nonsense from ur ass and start posting them here.
She went ahead to say aljazeera is a muslim channel, pls who said otherwise? So aljazeera reports are invalid because it is owned by muslims? Forcefully bringing up what is not being discussed. This is what happens when one places his phone where goats can find it.
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by MagicBishop: 4:24pm On Oct 25, 2020
Very true

The videos of policemen killing unarmed people after the riots was what turned the fringe BH to have popular support in the north

Many families lost a relation to the senseless killings carried out by the Police after the riots had subsided.
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by sapientia(m): 4:30pm On Oct 25, 2020
Its a fact

V7place:
Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! Yes one wrong step by a Police Officer is what started the mess that is Boko Haram war.
I never realized that myself until a friend reminded me its exactly what started the war!

A war that has cost Nigeria billions of dollars, tens of thousands of lives , displaced over 2.5 million and spread into three other countries. And all this started because several policemen on July 30 2009 decided to take the laws into their own hands and execute without trial Mohammed Yusuf; founder of Boko Haram.

The Army had captured Yusuf and handed him to the police alive after interrogating him. His interrogation was recorded on tape. The army did its job and rightly handed him over for prosecution. Later that day though, he was killed outside Police Headquarters in the full view of dozens if not hundreds of members of the public who were hailing the Police and chanting “ No mercy, no mercy”
Before 2009 Boko Haram was a legal organization; infact so legal that some commissioners in Borno State were members. Boko Haram infact helped ensure the election of Governor Ali Modu Sheriff. But gradually like most strict religious sects they began to go radical and eventually started attacking Christians. Borno that was the most peaceful State in Northern Nigeria and probably the whole country began to have religious skirmishes.
One of Nigeria’s greatest problems is a lack of consequence for actions whether it be reward or punishment. Mohammed Yusuf was obviously a bad man, but there is a system that exists designed to handle bad people. That system is the law and gives everyone a right to trial. Indeed a trial of Mohammed Yusuf would probably have allowed lots of fact to come out and people like Abu Musab al-Barnawi and Abubakar Shekua (present day leaders of Boko Haram successors) may have been nipped in the bud along with information as to who their sponsors were, both local and foreign. Instead his murder and the subsequent killing of hundreds of people in Borno made him a martyr and built up anti government resentment in the North and an all out war.

The job of the police is to enforce the law; it is not their job to make laws nor to give out punishment. The courts decide if a person is guilty or innocent.

Its been 17 days since the ENDSARS protests began; yet despite mass protests NOT ONE Police or SARS officer has been charged to court including those from possibly the most evil SARS office in Nigeria; Akwuzu, Anambra State where dozens if not hundreds of people were extorted, raped and executed by policemen. And this to the 50 or more people who have been killed by security officers since the protests started on October 8th including at least two extra judicial executions captured on video and seen by millions. It seems we have not learnt out lesson as a nation yet.

Police brutality can destroy a nation.
There must be reward and consequence for actions if we are to develop as a nation.
We need to rebuild and retrain our Police Force.
Nigeria itself needs a rebirth,

Source: https://v7place.com/index.php?topic=454.new#new

Kindly include videos

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2010/2/10/nigeria-killings-caught-on-video

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2010/02/09/video-shows-nigeria-executions/?gb=true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOYyo1XcYHg
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by HotPoundedYam(m): 4:31pm On Oct 25, 2020
Focktot:
Absolutely

The military under his command announced Operation crocodile smile V to begin that day.

We know what happened in crocodile smile 1 to 4

I pray he and his cohort spends the remaining of their life at the Hague..

ICC is interested in this killings of innocent UNARMED PROTESTERS
Re: Police Brutality Started The Boko Haram War! by Focktot: 4:33pm On Oct 25, 2020
HotPoundedYam:

I pray he and his cohort spends the remaining of their life at the Hague..

ICC is interested in this killings of innocent UNARMED PROTESTERS
Well, I leave that to the ICC to determine.

(1) (2) (Reply)

#endsars: Sitting Nigerian Senator Mobilised Youths To Cause Insurrection / Igbo And The ENDSARS, Who The Court Has Arraigned Lately / ICC Is Not A Place For Frivolities Like Nigeria, Falana Replies Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.