Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,178 members, 7,818,562 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

Tip-sy Weekend: Clash Of The Titans - "Outsourcers" And The Writers They Need - Literature/Writing Ads - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Literature/Writing Ads / Tip-sy Weekend: Clash Of The Titans - "Outsourcers" And The Writers They Need (494 Views)

Freelancing Tip. Upwork And More / #3 Per Word + Tip If You Impress Me!!! / Tip-sy Weekend: Questions Wise(?) Writers Ask (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tip-sy Weekend: Clash Of The Titans - "Outsourcers" And The Writers They Need by SpaghettiThots: 5:13pm On Oct 25, 2020
This battle is a raging inferno, striving to consume all in its path. "Outsourcers" (aka clients) blaming writers for failed projects and lost contracts; writers blaming clients for whatever went wrong. The vicious circle of finger-pointing continuous. There's still no winner and everyone is savage!

Well, here's my honest assessment. There are good clients and good writers.

Similarly, the are bad writers and bad clients.

However, whether good or bad, both sides are always looking for ways to maximize their gains on any job.
It doesn't help that the default way of pricing writing jobs is per word. This is one element that helps bad writers and their client cousins thrive. Why not let me explain before you ask for my head...

A bad writer wants to turn in as much hogwash as possible to earn the highest possible amount of money.

A bad client wants the best quality possible for the lowest possible rate. But, who doesn't?

The difference lies in their prior intentions. Many clients have perfected a system where they make you do a lot of work without paying for it. These the ones with multiple WhatsApp and Telegram numbers. Does the name Victor Ogbonna ring a bell

These bad clients are often the ones that demand you send samples as a DOCX file or on Google Docs, instead of paying for a good sample they'll use to secure a job. Mind you, a lot of trials from Upwork are paid trials. In fact, it's a violation of Upwork policy for freelancers to do free work.

A bad writer isn't necessarily one who doesn't know how to write. A bad writer struggles with accepting their need to improve.

They have no personal plan to learn what'll make their writing better. Plus, they never take corrections or do what the client wants. That's not an easy one - doing what the client wants. If you insist on doing things your own way - as I do on occasion - let it be something that adds value that the client cannot deny. I'm happy to report that some of my experiments bounce back to hurt me. grin

My experience is that you may not need more than two, three, four clients who know their onions as you know yours as a writer.

You'll certainly disagree from time to time, but neither party would be thinking of ending the relationship.

Truth be told, my present clients usually remind me to take payment. Mind you, some of those are payments I've even forgotten about. Yes, some of these clients are even on this forum.

I'll shock you again. You can build the relationship to the point where the client tells you even the true financial details of a project. Even you will know to be reasonable in your pricing when you see such. That's how we win together.

Would you admit your flaws as a writer or at least, apologize? Same goes for the client? They are not mutually exclusive. Trying to be too smart never works.

Clients need writers. Writers need clients. Some of us do better at one than the other. Some try to wear both hats. Either way, always put yourself in the other shoe.

As a writer, would you accept what you're trying to submit

Grammar. Plagiarism. Formatting. Project goals. Reach an understanding on these things beforehand. I've had clients who agreed to take responsibility if a piece gets flagged for plag. Many offer to give me access to their Grammarly and Copyscape accounts before I even ask. One even brought Quetext the other day and always tells me when they change any password. Note that we didn't arrive there in one day.

As a client, is what you're offering and your conditions morally fitting for the output you're demanding

Do you truthfully expect them to take a Copyscape subscription ($10 a month) or Grammarly subscription ($150 a year) on the relative pittance you're offering on projects?

You really shouldn't take every job on Upwork just for the sake of it! You're free to disagree on this.

The writer is not an employee, in the truest sense of the word. They're a professional offering a service in return for timely and decent pay, so it's important a client approaches conversations with a writer respectfully.

It's not out of place to celebrate your writer's birthday or that of your client's. They have a life outside of this writing business. They need data and power to do your job effectively. They also need emotional stability to deal properly with you. It's certainly not your job to provide these but can you make a contribution to that? Absolutely! Little things go a long way. I know some people I've discussed jobs with here will read this, but elements like these are why I can turn down terms I don't find comfortable on your project.

Finally writers, honesty is still the best way to go. You know exactly where this applies to you. You can't write everything. No one should expect you to. You also should not take jobs with the hopes of subcontracting them to some you feel speaks some form of English.

If you can't meet a deadline, negotiate a fairer one or let the job be! Another will come.

With these few points of mine, I trust that I've convinced you that writers and clients can peacefully coexist in a parallel universe. Ah! If you're a client seeking reputable writers, the ProPen! community is where you'll find more than a handful. Here's your special link to join right away: https:///3vvyxd.

We haven't left writers out: if you know your craft and are interested in exciting projects at excellent rates, you're only one click away: https:///3vvyxd. shocked

I'm sure I've made you smile. Until next time, stay blessed. grin

(1) (Reply)

Quality Writing Services / The Magic / I Need Blogging Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.