Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,019 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

I Just Realised I Love Programming But I Applied For Arhitecture. What Do I Do? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Just Realised I Love Programming But I Applied For Arhitecture. What Do I Do? (473 Views)

I READ This Secondary School Book And Realised Its The Same thing in Nigeria / I Applied For Nursing Science But I Was Given Electrical Electronics Engineering / Top 10 States With Most Applied Candidates For 2018 UTME (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Just Realised I Love Programming But I Applied For Arhitecture. What Do I Do? by Plaouse(m): 11:23pm On Oct 25, 2020
Hello Nairalanders,

It's said: 'If you don't know what you love doing keep trying different things until you find it'

I had always thought of being an architect; I like architecture but I've never really loved it.

While i was in Jss3 architecture was suggested to me as a career because I liked the subject Basic Technology (a subject similar to Technical Drawing).

I had heard of programming but I never tried it until a month+ away from now when I put my hands on some JavaScript programming and my heart was instantly drawn to it. The way I can use JS to create algorithm so fascinates me. I just feel at ease with it.

I do want to study Computer Science in the university now, but unfortunate for me I didn't come to this realisation before I chose my course of interest.
Please help me, I've already applied for architecture. Is there a way I can change my course?
All I advice will be helpful.

Thank you in advance.

PS: I applied to UNN
Re: I Just Realised I Love Programming But I Applied For Arhitecture. What Do I Do? by Cetacean419: 11:55pm On Oct 25, 2020
If you're in school you can always pick Jamb form and Write again.
You can still work on Architecture if you feel you want to go into buildings and construction. CAD is very interesting and you will love it even more. You can still do it as side hustle. Just a simple certificate and Skill will land you a contract in Computer World. I know a PHYSIOLOGY student who works as a cybersecurity expert here in Nigeria.
My guy to me do not leave Architecture.
I am not a judge but Getting a certificate in either as Front-end personnel or Back-end can give you good cash while in school.
I know people who just do web design and making 200k monthly.
Do what you love and not what people say.
JAH BLESS.

3 Likes

Re: I Just Realised I Love Programming But I Applied For Arhitecture. What Do I Do? by Plaouse(m): 9:07am On Oct 26, 2020
Cetacean419 thank you
Re: I Just Realised I Love Programming But I Applied For Arhitecture. What Do I Do? by jpawjpaw(m): 9:21am On Oct 26, 2020
Go for what you love doing. But I suggest u go for the Architect. You can learn programming outside school, you mustn't study computer science. But if you are mathematically oriented, you can opt for computer science by taking another Jamb, or by obtaining the change of course form after your 100L in the uni.
I study industrial Mathematics, and that didn't stop me from learning web design. I use the year 2020 to learn what I love i.e outside my course.
#FollowYourHeart.

1 Like

Re: I Just Realised I Love Programming But I Applied For Arhitecture. What Do I Do? by Plaouse(m): 9:42am On Oct 26, 2020
jpawjpaw:

I study industrial Mathematics, and that didn't stop me from learning web design. I use the year 2020 to learn what I love i.e outside my course.
#FollowYourHeart.

Thanks a lot.

Can I have your WhatsApp contact please? I'm also looking forward to learning Web development.
Re: I Just Realised I Love Programming But I Applied For Arhitecture. What Do I Do? by sinkhole: 10:27am On Oct 26, 2020
Why can't you go for the architect while programming remains your hobby, after all, programming is like mathematics of technology you can apply it anywhere including architecture.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Realised I Love Programming But I Applied For Arhitecture. What Do I Do? by Abcruz(m): 2:25pm On Oct 26, 2020
You don't have to study computer science to be a programmer.
If you take a good survey you'll realize that most programmers did not study computer science they're self taught.

Besides, there're graduates of computer science who doesn't even know how to code. You do not need a degree to understand programming logic and syntax. And you do not need a computer science degree in order to be a good programmer.

1 Like

Re: I Just Realised I Love Programming But I Applied For Arhitecture. What Do I Do? by jpawjpaw(m): 3:36pm On Oct 26, 2020
Plaouse:

Thanks a lot.

Can I have your WhatsApp contact please? I'm also looking forward to learning Web development.
welcome....

Re: I Just Realised I Love Programming But I Applied For Arhitecture. What Do I Do? by sreamsense: 4:00pm On Oct 26, 2020
There is another perspective to weigh your option. If it were possible to get change of course form or reapply, it would have been better you change to computer science and remain focus. Your current passion and interest really matters to overcome many obstacles you will ecounter in the future academically.

What you study does not really suggest where your success lies in the future. Any field you find yourself, you must be loaded with relevant skills to the brim before you can really put food on your table in the future. If you know you will like to practice in Nigeria when you graduate, it will be better to choose computer science.

Any contract jobs is not easy today brother, many organizations will only end up dumping your proposals into dustbin if you don't have any connection or try to be in politics or finance politicians as contractors. With computer science, if you have relevant skills after graduation, even before you get any employment, you can decide to develop apps and games to solve human problems you can identify and put them on several play stores to sell your product world wide or develop many iot products and toys.

You can quickly overcome joblessness after graduation compare to architecture, but it is not usually valid in all cases, it depends on how skillful and descipline you are to your profession. However, if you like to pitch your tent in programming world and make profession and vocation out of it, is better you lay good foundation now. Brilliant minds are too many in computer and there are many things you will learn in school to lay your foundation.

Web designing can not really be categorized as core programming languages or core coding practice, there are many core programming languages, logical thinking, core AI, robotics, networking, data structure, embedded system programming that you will need to pass through in computer science that will lay your foundation to become top-notch programmer of your dream.

Learning them along your architecture will never work well because programming is very verse, dynamic and takes lots of brain work and hard work to succeed as top notch programmer. Try to check profile of many successful programmers and software engineers like Bill gate, Zuckerberg and even the two Google guys. They all have computer background, mathematics and engineering directly or indirectly.

If you decide to take it as second option, your programming practice will be poor and you will be limited in knowledge to explore and build formidable software for modern digital environment. You may not be able to program beyond web designing or classroom programming if all the focus and drive you have now are not channelled toward laying good foundation for you.

However, if you wish to pass through ASUU universities, you will need to keep and nurture your drive by keeping practicallizing as they carry you through theoretical journey. Use internet wisely to boost your practical skills from time to time while in school, otherwise, if you lost your focus while in school, by the time you graduate, you may not know beyond writing program to solve quadratic equation or matrices.

1 Like

Re: I Just Realised I Love Programming But I Applied For Arhitecture. What Do I Do? by Plaouse(m): 9:39pm On Oct 26, 2020
sreamsense:
Use internet wisely to boost your practical skills from time to time while in school, otherwise, if you lost your focus while in school, by the time you graduate, you may not know beyond writing program to solve quadratic equation or matrices.

Thank you very much Sir. Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Public Notice For Our Client, Prof. Tyoor, Fredrick M. Terhemba / 15 Websites That Will Answer All Your Questions Free Online / WAEC Has Confirmed Deadline For 2021 WASSCE Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.