Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,584 members, 7,958,803 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 01:47 AM

What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v (1160 Views)

Abia Government Converts 3 Institutions Into Universities / Anthony Obikwelu Invents Machine That Converts Pure Water Nylon To Fuel / Students Seen Climbing Transformer Fence In A Bid To Cross Flood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by Aboks(m): 1:26pm On Oct 26, 2020
To all the Engineering students in the house what converts 415v from transformer to 240v
Re: What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by emoboy4u: 2:20pm On Oct 26, 2020
Aboks:
To all the Engineering students in the house what converts 415v from transformer to 240v

415 is the line voltage, 240 is a phase voltage.

Usually the output of your transformer is distributed to our homes on poles carry 4 wires. Those wires are:

R - red line
Y - yellow line
B - blue line
N - Neutral (often at the bottom)

The voltage across each of the RYB lines and the Neutral is 240V (also called the phase voltage) while the voltage across each pair, RY, YB, RB is 415V.( called line voltage)

Our regular homes requre just 240v for almost everything we do at home. That is why either RN, YN, BN (single phase) is connected to our homes from the poles.

On the other hand, people that use 3phase machines such as induction machines will require more that 240V to power their devices, hence they need the full 415v (RYB 3phase) to be able to operate these machines.

Engineers in the house, forgive any blunders I have made.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by ameristu: 2:33pm On Oct 26, 2020
emoboy4u:

Usually the output of your transformer is distributed to our homes on poles carry 4 wires. Those wires are:

R - red line
Y - yellow line
B - blue line

The voltage across each of the RYB lines and the Neutral is 240V (also called the phase voltage) while the voltage across each pair, RY, YB, RB is 415V.( called line voltage)

Our regular homes requre just 240v for almost everything we do at home. That is why either RN, YN, BN (single phase) is connected to our homes from the poles.

On the other hand, people that use 3phase machines such as induction machines will require more that 240V to power their devices, hence they need the full 415v (RYB 3phase) to be able to operate these machines.

If you don't already have a job or would be interested.

I am interested in offering you a trainer position in a skill acquisition center in Lagos.

Send your resume and contact me on liadiyemi5@gmail.com

Let's discuss further.

Regards.

1 Like

Re: What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 26, 2020
Why does this thread feel like the 3 of you guys came up with this?
Re: What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by Aboks(m): 3:07pm On Oct 26, 2020
emoboy4u:

R - red line
Y - yellow line
B - blue line

THANKS
Re: What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by Aboks(m): 3:09pm On Oct 26, 2020
danielconstant:
Why does this thread feel like the 3 of you guys came up with this?

Three of which guys if you are not an electrician pack one side

I need answers to my question
Re: What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by emoboy4u: 5:26pm On Oct 26, 2020
ameristu:

If you don't already have a job or would be interested.

I am interested in offering you a trainer position in a skill acquisition center in Lagos.

Send your resume and contact me on liadiyemi5@gmail.com

Let's discuss further.

Regards.
I appreciate your kind gesture sir but I base far from Lagos.
Re: What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by Aboks(m): 2:18pm On Oct 28, 2020
emoboy4u:

R - red line
Y - yellow line
B - blue line

What is the convertion formular
Re: What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by emoboy4u: 3:22pm On Oct 28, 2020
Aboks:

What is the convertion formular
Line voltage/ √3 = phase voltage.
415/√3 = 239.****
Re: What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by Aboks(m): 5:57pm On Oct 28, 2020
emoboy4u:
Line voltage/ √3 = phase voltage.

415/√3 = 239.****

Thanks
Re: What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by Shimran(m): 9:24pm On Oct 28, 2020
emoboy4u:

R - red line
Y - yellow line
B - blue line

Hello, I'm a student, Civil engineering, ABU, may you please share the source of this your knowledge: whether it be website, textbook publication, etc.
Thanks
Re: What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by Aboks(m): 1:07am On Oct 29, 2020
Shimran:

Hello, I'm a student, Civil engineering, ABU, may you please share the source of this your knowledge: whether it be website, textbook publication, etc.
Thanks

How is zaria
Re: What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by Shimran(m): 5:06am On Oct 29, 2020
Aboks:

How is zaria
All is norm in Zaria.
Re: What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by emoboy4u: 7:53am On Oct 29, 2020
Shimran:

Thanks
you guys are probably doing EEEN203. There are lots and lots of books.

1. Just Google
2. Visit Electrical Departmental Library.
3. Google more
Re: What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by Aboks(m): 1:25pm On Oct 29, 2020
Shimran:

All is norm in Zaria.

How samaru
Re: What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by Shimran(m): 10:24pm On Oct 29, 2020
emoboy4u:
you guys are probably doing EEEN203. There are lots and lots of books.

1. Just Google
2. Visit Electrical Departmental Library.
3. Google more

That was 2016/17 session. Now in 500L. I just need it for personal purpose.
Tharaja is too extensive (very in-depth), therefore bulky indeed!
Re: What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by Shimran(m): 10:29pm On Oct 29, 2020
Aboks:

How samaru
Been long to go Samaru as a result it the lockdown and the ASUU-FG wahala. Though staying within Zaria metropolitan. All is norm within and around us.
Hopes yours also?
Re: What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by Aboks(m): 11:31pm On Oct 29, 2020
Shimran:

Been long to go Samaru as a result it the lockdown and the ASUU-FG wahala. Though staying within Zaria metropolitan. All is norm within and around us.
Hopes yours also?

Basawa is cool
Re: What Converts 415v From Transformer To 240v by emoboy4u: 10:26am On Oct 30, 2020
Shimran:

That was 2016/17 session. Now in 500L. I just need it for personal purpose.
Tharaja is too extensive (very in-depth), therefore bulky indeed!
Download theraja online, the one I have on my PC is about 500mb. Though, I collected from someone.

(1) (Reply)

What I Observed On Coursera App / 20 Year Old Ijaw Girl Emerges Overall Best Graduate Student In U.s University / Cheapest Private University In Nigeria - 10 Inexpensive Private Universities In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.