|Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,991,993 members, 7,287,727 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 February 2023 at 06:10 PM
#ENDSARS: Only White Paper Report Can Confirm Alleged Lekki Killing – CDS Irabor / Evidence That Lekki Killing Is A Huge Propaganda (pics) / Brigadier General F.O. Omata Led Lekki Killing - Femi Fani-Kayode (Photos) (2) (3) (4)
|Causes and Who to blame for the Lekki Killing by yellowman2225(m): 9:02am On Oct 27, 2020|
Its so sad that Nigerians have been shouting after the backlash from the gruesome occurrences in the past weeks without looking at the hidden root causes in order to avoid future occurrences.
Here are my lists of the root causes I believe - you can add yours in case omitted.
1. Government: Government is the biggest culprit in this whole fiasco as the protest started solely because of their negligence and irresponsible actions towards public outcry. The Government was never sincere with Police / general reform's The SAS in question has been disbanded up to 4 times in a course of 5 years.
Also, the Government escalated the hitherto peaceful protest by engaging deadly force by the Military -this is corroborated by Lagos state Governor. So, this is not an assumption or hate speech. 25% blame goes to the Government here.
2. The Government closed all land borders of the Country increasing cost of livelihood by whooping 200% 500% within 365 days. 50kg rice - which is a staple. food for most Nigerians soared from #6,000 to #35,000.
The unrest/ protest was more in the south because Police brutality exists most in the South, also cost of living / food prices in the North wasn't as high as the South. e.g A bag of rice sells for #35,000 in the South while same sells for #18,000 in the North. The North plants rice more than any region and their borders can't be entirely closed due to wide kilometers of desert land borders.
The Government removed fuel subsidy 100% and increased cost of electricity by a whopping 60% - an action that shouldn't normally come side by side with Petrol pump price increment . The major fuel of the unrest was ASUU Strike. Government handled ASUU strike with levity and thereby had over 20 million idle Tertiary Institutions students Nationwide available to support unrest. 25% blame still goes to the Government here
3. Trade Unions: TUC and NLC who happened to be leading Harbinger's of trade related rights chickened out of a would be agitation to counter the double hardship of electricity rate increase and total subsidy removal.
The Negligence of these Unions made Nigerians to feel betrayed and took laws into their hands, going all out to protest with full force. 10% blame is apportioned to TUC, NLC
4. Politicians: I believe the level of rascality and escalation in each state can still be attributed to the Political structure and Youth engagements in the state. I will base this on case study of Lagos, Oyo and Abuja. In Lagos, Sanwo Olu made it clear he had COMMANDED the Police to not brutalise anyone (Meaning he took ownership of Anything the Police or Military does)
However, in Oyo State, Seyi Makinke cried out Tweeting that he's unable to control the Federal Agencies as he wishes (Army and police) People labelled him fool for saying the truth , but called Sanwo Olu a hero for giving himself a power he never had.
Hitherto, Civilians casualties as well as Officers died in Ibadan and Ogbomoso, but those death were never attributed to Seyi Makinde because he was very loud the structures receives their 90% instructions from Abuja with only a little from Governors.
With only a little 10% control, Seyi Makinde, deployed the state security outfit code named "Operation burst" Using solely Army and civil defence Officers with clear instruction to PROTECT Protesters. (All these were backed by daily broadcast on the state owned TV and Radio, so the protesters know/ believe (though not totally true) the Armed forces is there to protect them from thugs/ hoodlums.
Opposite of the affore mentioned happened in Lagos where Sanwo Olu believed in his affiliation with Abuja and relied on same until when Abuja cornered him by using deadly force against protesters at Lekki toll Gate. (The truth is Sanwo Olu is not a bad man, but just a scape Goat played for political gains because of his loyalty to God father and his party) Simply put. Sanwo Olu lost because of his trust in Jagaban and Abuja, while Makinde gathered strength because he has no one to run to. Note. The 2 cases aren't totally related but I hope analysts can grab the similarities. Remember - EDO NO BE LAGOS SLOGAN HAS ALREADY PUT LAGOS ON ITS TOE TO SHOW THEIR STRENGHT AGAINST JAGABAN. I wonder why our politicians don't learn.
In this guise in Abuja - some Politicians were fingered in Abuja and some other states to have hired Thugs to disrupt the peaceful protests.
Blame for Politician stands at 20% as the case may be.
5. Military: The Military escalated the issue by using deadly force. They could have deployed hot water canons / rubber coated bullets if they believe covid 19 law or curfew law is been is been violated. We all know anywhere Nigerian Military goes destruction follows - except in the case of Terrorist they couldn't quash for a decade. Everything still boils down to the line of order. who gives the order? Federal government. I apportion 15% blame to the Military who eventually escalated the 12 day long peaceful protest.
6. The people: A lot will want to disagree with this. We are all in it together.
Finally 5% blame goes to everyone who participated in the protest / even those who didn't support it or participate. All of us are guilty. If everyone as Nigerians do what is right, we won't even have any reason for the protest in the first place.
The people protested without looking at what different results could come, police brutalise with great enthusiasm, Politicians steal with reckless abandon, Religious bodies were partisan, Some popular Pastors supported the peaceful protests while some Sheik / Imams were prompting deadly force/ genocide.
Are the lawmaker stealing our monies not Nigerians? Don't they have families among us? Are these Police etc not in our neighbours? don't we have them as families and friend? That's where we all are to blame 5% of the whole brouhaha.
From all these above, since the Government controls the Military, it shows the Government has over 85% blame. Government ordered Military, Government = Poltiticians only the 10% of NLC/ TUC and 5% for the populace is not directly Government.
Pls, constructive criticism is allowed. Point to any Number you are against / add your own. No bashing pls.
Also, if you know you are one of the so called BMC paid to distort the truth, please stay clear as Gods wrath will be on you for selling your Children future for 20,000 (less than 50 USD.
Thank you and God bless.
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2023 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80