Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

#WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' (24941 Views)

#WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes / WTO DG: Okonjo-Iweala, Myung-Hee React To WTO's Formal Announcement / Okonjo-iweala Speaks On Padding 2014 Budget, Attacks Gbajabiamila (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by Hotzone(m): 6:42pm On Oct 29, 2020
USA has rejected u
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by linearity: 6:43pm On Oct 29, 2020
eeetuk:
Ngozi Iweala is pushing to become WTO chair
person because she is an American citizen.

According to recent reports, she claimed US citizenship upon hearing that WTO job would soon become vacant.

That to me disqualified her for any consideration.
Chair person of WTO is a person who has years of experience in trade issues. Ngozi Iweala has none experience in trade issues.

So, I write to call on Ngozi Iweala to immediately remove her name from consideration on WTO job. Save yourself and the world another global embarrassment.

God have mercy on this ugly and shameless woman.

NOI become a US citizen in 2019 and Roberto Azevêdo announced abruptly on May 14, 2020 via a Video Conference that, he will be stepping down prematurely on Aug 31, 2020, NOI must have a crystal ball or you are high on something.

1 Like

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by stevnwigw1: 6:44pm On Oct 29, 2020
I am disappointed in the United states of America for choosing a lawyer in place of an economist to manage world trade, citing experience. Meaning a carpenter can perform surgery in the united states once the carpenter can have experience.

3 Likes

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by ComeAndobo: 6:47pm On Oct 29, 2020
tstx:
Igbo Amaka

Are you a Trump fan? cheesy
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by ComeAndobo: 6:48pm On Oct 29, 2020
millionboi2:
Buhari go affect dis woman

Please explain how Buhari is affecting her?
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by Omezif(m): 6:49pm On Oct 29, 2020
Ngozi chukwu shouldn't worry, US backing to her can't prevent the will of God.
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by Seebrian(m): 6:51pm On Oct 29, 2020
uvie66:
But come to think of it if we are not blinded by nationalism, this Myung-Hee Woman have more experience than Okonjo. She has been with the WTO for more than twenty years.
Bro. forget that talk. It is a battle between an renowned Economist vs a Lawyer. Professionalism vs Experience. Ofcours, you should know the latter can't match the former in terms of expertise.
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by Mpanyi: 6:51pm On Oct 29, 2020
binghammer:
I don't think Donald Trump likes Nigeria much. I'm sure he believes people here still live in huts.

He doesn't like Nigeria or Africa as a whole one beat
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by ofiko123(m): 6:53pm On Oct 29, 2020
Nice one.. That is the spirit..
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by Chizzychinny: 6:56pm On Oct 29, 2020
[quote author=Kennitrust post=95475003]The world without Muslim would be a beautiful place!

You want to cause fight abi
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by 8stargeneral: 6:57pm On Oct 29, 2020
Congratulations our big mama....u get our back.
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by Danny50: 6:57pm On Oct 29, 2020
As calabar boy wey i be... Instead of this woman to pray so that Trumph will reverse his earlier decision she is here spewing trash. In case you guys dont know Trumph dont need the support of Africa as a whole to be re-elected not to talk of this shit hole.
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by Chizzychinny: 6:58pm On Oct 29, 2020
Kennitrust:
The world without Muslim would be a beautiful place!

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by Opsylo: 6:59pm On Oct 29, 2020
Ride on ,Ngo
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by kcunique: 7:03pm On Oct 29, 2020
Ahead ahead WE MOVE
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by Kennitrust(m): 7:03pm On Oct 29, 2020
Chizzychinny:

is fighting their username?
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by linearity: 7:04pm On Oct 29, 2020
wingmanIII:
COPIED

I have been reading some of the simplistic notions about why the US did not support NOI for the WTO DG position.

Even some of the most sophisticated thinkers and posters on this street reduced it to the most basic of their primordial instincts, race and racism. What a shame. She is a dual citizen (Nigeria and USA) and if citizenship or permanent residency of the US was the simple consideration, she probably would have been the candidate of choice for the US. And not only for the current role but also for position of World Bank President - which she sought - for which the previous US administration backed a Korean-American, and one without any significant background in finance, Jim Yong Kim, a physician and anthropologist.

One would have expected a little more complex thinking and a deeper understanding of US interests, its trade relationship with South Korea and other Asian countries, and the role of China in their analyses. None touched on the likely role of China in the WTO in the event of a NOI victory versus what a Korean victory is likely to mean for US-China increasingly complex and fractious trade disputes. China's support for Nigeria and NOI is not altruistic. The country is already aiming for one of the DDG positions that is open with an understanding that an Asian at the top of the WTO will foreclose that possibility. Of course, the US, which already has misgivings about the influence of China in the WTO (and other international organizations), doesn't want the country in a much stronger position of influence within the body. Hence, it makes sense to seek ways to block the Chinese aspirations and supporting a candidate whose background will effectively accomplish that goal is one such approach.

The trade relationship between the US and South Korea is a huge one and an amended agreement was signed last year, one led by the Korean candidate, Yoo Myung-hee. Japan, another huge US trade partner, for a different set of reasons connected with a trade dispute, is against the Korean but not necessarily in favor an expanded or exaggerated Chinese influence. There is also the concern that the Chinese may exert undue influence on NOI through Nigeria, her sponsor for the role. Whether this will be a real concern remains to be seen but such fears should not be dismissed. These are some of the issues playing out in the reluctance of the US to support NOI, not her race, not racism.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for NOI and hope she wins the final push. I believe she will and congratulated her this morning already. This is just to express my disappointment at the shoddy analyses advanced by some of our so-called online or social media intellectuals. I expected more from them. Maybe too much, I'm beginning to realize. To the one who was able to see the nuanced American position beyond the jaded lens of racism, I salute you.

To the others, please, up your game and stop reducing every analysis in the complex world of international interests to the lowest common factors of race and racism on the part of the US. Your readers and followers deserve better. Or maybe we should stop taking you too seriously.

'Kunle Oyekanmi

Excellent insight and write-up.

I must also add that, The US under Trump have lost the battle to take over WTO, because member States are fighting back and it all boils down to what you pointed out, which is the trade war between the US and China.

The Trump administration is fighting directly against WTO and there are talks within Republicans about their intentions to pull out of WTO, just like they did with WHO and other international organizations. This started when the WTO court ruled against US for imposing tariff on China, resulting in the usual Trump chorus that WTO is for China and if you looked at the rules they all agreed to, US was in error.

In retaliation, US have refused to appoint Appellant Judges for WTO to oversea trade disputes among member Nations. The WTO Appellant Court need at lease three Judges to adjudicate on cases and since Trump coming into office, he has refused to cooperate in appointing new Judges to replace retiring ones and as we speak now, WTO Appellant court is dead! No Judge to hear member States trade dispute cases and Trump love it that way and want to keep it that way.

Other WTO members are aware of this damage and are trying to fight back. They truly wish US can pull out, but that will be a huge own goal against US if they pull out of WTO and a big win for China....These thorny issues will be resolved by the upcoming US Election, I think the best way forward is for Biden to win and Trump will safe face.

Otherwise if Trump wins, he will either have to be forced in shame to accept the consensus candidate of all the other member States or they will force a vote and elect NOI and Trump will be faced with the decision to pull out of WTO, which will be a death nail to America farmers and manufacturers, who right now waits for regular checks from Washington DC to cushion a percentage of their lost as a result of the current Trump war with China.....also, Trump pulling out WTO will be a huge super win for China.....and Americans don't want this.

This is one of those Trump dick moves, where Trump lack diplomacy and thinks that he can bully everyone into submission.....and any day, any time you stand up to a bully as WTO member States are trying to do here, they fold in shame or loose spectacularly.

3 Likes

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by Chizzychinny: 7:09pm On Oct 29, 2020
Kennitrust:
is fighting their username?
You know they can kill and fight for anything
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by Nuhupeter(m): 7:18pm On Oct 29, 2020
May the will of God be done.
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by chris51(f): 7:18pm On Oct 29, 2020
fergie001:
#WTO-DG hopeful, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has reacted to the US seeming desire to back her opponent, Myung-Hee, despite enjoying broad support from members.

God will see you through successfully and shame will be on the US

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by chris51(f): 7:18pm On Oct 29, 2020
[quote author=chris51 post=95476629][/quote]
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by enchy: 7:20pm On Oct 29, 2020
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by Kennitrust(m): 7:21pm On Oct 29, 2020
Chizzychinny:

You know they can kill and fight for anything
useless people
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by AgboC: 7:28pm On Oct 29, 2020
The woman di well loaded.

#wemove
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by Hezmatosky: 7:30pm On Oct 29, 2020
10yrs I find job for naija I no see. You think say you go win? Wuuuusai kiss
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by samwillyco1(m): 7:34pm On Oct 29, 2020
Congratulations in advance the real slay mama and queen.

Please remember me when you climb there, l am really I need of Job
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by moneyissweet(m): 7:38pm On Oct 29, 2020
You wicked.

tutudesz:
WTO DG And ADB President were ministers under Jonathan Government and were nominated by Buhari Government grin While some stupid APC/PDP supporters will be killing and insulting themselves
Oshopikin after insulting her and hearing this news

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by heysquare(m): 7:44pm On Oct 29, 2020
What a good vibe you're giving us! we're feeling't! If you move #wemove
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by linearity: 7:45pm On Oct 29, 2020
uvie66:
But come to think of it if we are not blinded by nationalism, this Myung-Hee Woman have more experience than Okonjo. She has been with the WTO for more than twenty years.

I guess the 104 Nations around the world that voted for her and then all the 163 member countries that rallied around her as their consensus candidate must also be blinded by nationalism.

We should defer to their superior judgement, having had the opportunity to access both candidates, interviewed them over several months, listened to their presentations, examined their body of works and experiences, etc.

1 Like

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by kolade560: 7:48pm On Oct 29, 2020
DaBillionnaire:

She was part of the Leaders, no meaningful impact within the financial sector.
she was commendable in economic policies
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Speaks 'Despite Hiccups, We're keeping Positivity Going' by ikenna44: 7:52pm On Oct 29, 2020
Yoruba people are secretly happy about this "hiccup" �

Where's adeosun again??
Make I waka Comot before they come for me...

� � � � �

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts / Richest Politicians In Nigeria: See The Top 10 (LATEST UPDATE) / President Buhari Parries Question On Ministerial List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.