Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,941 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet (9463 Views)

Ruling On Celebrating The Birthday Of The Prophet / Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday / Fasting on the day of Arafah and ruling when it falls on Saturday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by Lukgaf(m): 10:44pm On Oct 29, 2020
"Is it permissible to fast on the birthday of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) on the basis of the hadeeth in Saheeh Muslim, al-Nasaa’i and Abu Dawood, which says that when he (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) was asked about fasting on Mondays, he said: “That is the day on which I was born…”

Also on the basis of this hadeeth, is it permissible for a person to fast on the day on which he was born, following thereby the example of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him)? Please explain."

Praise be to Allah.

Firstly:

Muslim (1162) narrated from Abu Qataadah al-Ansaari (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) was asked about fasting on Mondays and he said: “On (that day) I was born and on it Revelation came down to me.”

Al-Tirmidhi (747) narrated, in a hadeeth that he classed as hasan, from Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Deeds are presented (to Allah) on Monday and Thursday and I like my deeds to be presented when I am fasting.”

From the saheeh hadeeths quoted above, it is clear that just as the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) fasted on Mondays out of gratitude for the blessing of his birth on this day, he also fasted it because of its virtue, because the Revelation came down to him on that day, and on that day deeds are presented to Allah. So he (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) liked his deeds to be taken up when he was fasting. The fact that he was born on that day was one of several reasons for fasting that day.

If a person fasts on Mondays, as the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) did, hoping for forgiveness on that day, out of gratitude for the blessings that Allah bestowed upon His slaves on the day – the greatest of which blessings is the birth of His Prophet and His sending him – and hoping to be among the people who are forgiven on that day, then this is something good and is in accordance with what is proven of the Sunnah of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him). But he should not single out one week for that to the exclusion of others, or one month to the exclusion of others. Rather he should do that as much as he can on a permanent basis.

With regard to singling out one day of the year for fasting it, in celebration of the birth of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), this is an innovation (bid‘ah) that is contrary to the Sunnah of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him). The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) fasted on Mondays, and no other day, but from year to the next, his birthday may come on that day or any other day of the week.

Secondly:

What is widespread among people nowadays of celebrating birthdays is an innovation that is not prescribed in Islam. The Muslims do not have any special days that they celebrate apart from the two Eids, Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha.

Moreover, what comparison can there be between the birth of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), which is indeed a blessing and a mercy for all of mankind as Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): “And We have sent you (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) not but as a mercy for the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists)” [al-Anbiya’ 21:107] and a harbinger of good for all mankind, and the birth or death of any other human being? Moreover, what would that attitude of his Companions, and the righteous who came after them, be towards such an action?

It is not known that any of the salaf or early scholars said that it is prescribed to fast on any particular day of the week or the month or the year, and regard that day as a “festival” because the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) used to fast on the day of his birth every week, which was a Monday. If that was prescribed, the people of knowledge and virtue of the early generations who hastened to do all that is good would have hastened to do it before us. As they did not do that, it is known that this is something that is innovated and it is not permissible to do it.

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/islamqa.info/amp/en/answers/137931

7 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by Rashduct4luv(m): 6:54am On Oct 30, 2020
Celebration of the birthday of the Prophet is bid'a (innovation in worship) which is not acceptable in Islam.

Even the authentic date of birth of Muhammad and Jesus is unknown!
https://www.nairaland.com/4744456/when-prophet-islaam-salallaahu-alayhi

Quit celebrating unfounded worship!
Follow the Prophet's traditions!

7 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by Davefirst(m): 10:37am On Oct 30, 2020

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by marvin906(m): 10:38am On Oct 30, 2020
Curious who comes with all these rulings or it's in the Quran..
Cause very soon won't be surprised if I see a ruling on bj,doggy and missionary.
Just saying

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by ayinde2020: 10:41am On Oct 30, 2020
Thanks
Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by JoeEeL(m): 10:42am On Oct 30, 2020
"Islalm: the fastest growing religion...by birth"

cool

7 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by ArewaHero(m): 11:02am On Oct 30, 2020
marvin906:
Cause very soon won't be surprised if I see a ruling on bj,doggy and missionary.
Just saying
please go find solution to your sad life and stop hating on Muslim and Hausas .

9 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by marvin906(m): 11:06am On Oct 30, 2020
ArewaHero:
please go find solution to your sad life and stop hating on Muslim and Hausas .

Send me your account number..
Let me bless you..
Seems your hungry

12 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by Adlac(m): 11:13am On Oct 30, 2020
marvin906:
Just saying

Already there Is a rule on that! You should get that into your skull.

6 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by notoriousbabe: 11:17am On Oct 30, 2020
see as i just dey laff una grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by marvin906(m): 11:17am On Oct 30, 2020
Adlac:

Already there Is a rule on that! You should get that into your skull.

And I thought this one is even sensible..
I expected too much

8 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by Kunkiddo(m): 11:30am On Oct 30, 2020
What's the meaning of this? Must I be a Muslim before I comment on a Muslim thread? But Muslims are always free to comment on a Christian thread. The hypocrisy. Tueh!!!

Makes Muslim look like a cult shocked sad

8 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by Lukuluku69(m): 11:32am On Oct 30, 2020
JoeEeL:
"Islalm: the fastest growing religion...by birth"

cool

Then do fasting and prayer for Jehovah to lock up Muslim women wombs and make their Men less virile! That shouldn't be hard for Jehovah, should it?

5 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by lakesyded(m): 11:34am On Oct 30, 2020
marvin906:
Just saying

Actually my bro, there are ruling for that as well as several other aspects of how one is expected to live a beautiful life in Islam. ☺

From Marriage, to child up bringing, law and order, business, and much more.

5 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by JoeEeL(m): 11:36am On Oct 30, 2020
Lukuluku69:

Then do fasting and prayer for Jehovah to lock up Muslim women wombs and make their Men less virile! That shouldn't be had for Jehovah, should it?

See this one. You must think the opposite of Islam is christianity abi? The opposite of Islam is common sense, not christianity and I'm not even Christian.

5 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by Amspecial: 11:41am On Oct 30, 2020
grin
Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by Lukuluku69(m): 11:43am On Oct 30, 2020
JoeEeL:

See this one. You must think the opposite of Islam is christianity abi? The opposite of Islam is common sense, not christianity and I'm not even Christian.

Alright then. Whatever belief/unbelief system you subscribe to, minding your own business is a way to tolerance and well being too.

Let the Muslims believe what they want to belief.

5 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by ArewaHero(m): 11:45am On Oct 30, 2020
marvin906:

Send me your account number.. Let me bless you.. Seems your hungry
you can't bless who Allah Already blessed

4 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by JoeEeL(m): 12:02pm On Oct 30, 2020
Lukuluku69:

Alright then. Whatever belief/unbelief system you subscribe to, minding your own business is a way to tolerance and well being too.

Let the Muslims belief what they want to belief.

Who cares? And they should let others live too. If I say anything about a dead stupiid prophet, let me see the idiot that wants to come behead me in the name of a sick religion.

2 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by yungchop: 12:06pm On Oct 30, 2020
marvin906:

Send me your account number..
Let me bless you..
Seems your hungry

I'm hungry bro

0163249190 gtb
Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by Lukuluku69(m): 1:01pm On Oct 30, 2020
JoeEeL:

Who cares? And they should let others live too. If I say anything about a dead stupiid prophet, let me see the idiot that wants to come behead me in the name of a sick religion.

Well then, go right ahead and say it loud and clear. And enjoy your patrol on Muslims Thread typing the stuff that defines you.

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by ANTIlSLAM(m): 5:37pm On Oct 30, 2020
Lukuluku69:

My boy, where have you been ?
Re: Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet by Lukuluku69(m): 5:57pm On Oct 30, 2020
ANTIlSLAM:

My boy, where have you been ?

Shimmei, their is a Real World out there aside Nairaland. Where real people are and not patrolling on here looking to abuse, curse and blaspheme holy messengers.

I have said all I need to say. To you, your thoughts and actions and to me, mine. I will answer for me while you will answer for you.

(1) (Reply)

Ruling On Celebrating Valentine / Mut'ah(temporary Mariage) : Zina(adultery) of highest Order / Islamic Clothing For Women And Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.