Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:22 AM

Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role (32224 Views)

Proprietress Of Tender Links School In Cohort With Lesbian Teacher Over Defileme / My Son's Teacher Does Not Want A Headache ,She Marked This.(pic) / Parents Beat & Disgrace Head Teacher, Over Poor Results In Kenya (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by dahnimoh(m): 8:44pm On Oct 30, 2020
Is she not the one that the father said a lady wanted to rape in a hotel in Abuja?
Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by pozehnani(f): 8:48pm On Oct 30, 2020
CoderX:

You are wise... 600 cartons of titus fish for you!

Thank you. grin.
Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by Austarson: 8:57pm On Oct 30, 2020
crackhaus:
All this woke women sef...

What a child learns in school is just a tiny fraction of what they will inculcate as they grow, the rest is up to her and her husband.

I wonder why she did not complain about the part regarding fathers providing for the family.

Awon I am woke geng... but in reality, they are usually only half-woke...
See her grammer self..
curriculas

1 Like

Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by Nobody: 9:00pm On Oct 30, 2020
EXLOVER:
When are father was eating money that is not his, why didn't she call out her father?

Nonsense and Adamu Garba
I tell you...she and her twin acting as if we don't know they stole Imo pple money.
Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by angelfallz(m): 9:03pm On Oct 30, 2020
MhisTahrah:
Why are you shifting goalpost?The issue here is that mothers are portrayed as dependants in a kiddies book.

Lol, I don't know about your perception of marriage. But from my perception the husband is dependent on the woman to cook and make the house into a home(homemaker using US lingo). The wife is dependent on the man to provide for her both materially and financially as well as security(provider).
So in marriage there is dependency from both husbands and wives
Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by AFONAMARO: 9:06pm On Oct 30, 2020
Plead:

How is it nonsense?

The information the teacher gave never said mothers are not working and are meant to stay at home all day. Rather, it portrayed fathers as the pillar of finance (which is widely known) while mothers run the home and take care of routine house chores.

I wonder why she's picking on known/acceptable duties of both genders in a given marriage. If she want the role changed, she should simply tell her husband to stay at home and tidy the house while she provides the necessary day to day finance needed in running the home.

1 Like

Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by thinkmoney(m): 9:09pm On Oct 30, 2020
pozehnani:
ITK. Like the boy will not get to know by the time he gets to the tertiary levels. Is it everything he'll learn at this stage?

What u put in them from young forms their outlook in life unconsciously.
This is the mentality that make ladies always have a sense of entitlement. You will see a girl earning more than a guy, still wanting the guy to carry everything for head.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by pozehnani(f): 9:22pm On Oct 30, 2020
thinkmoney:

What u put in them from young forms their outlook in life unconsciously.
This is the mentality that make ladies always have a sense of entitlement. You will see a girl earning more than a guy, still wanting the guy to carry everything for head.

Oga, at what age do you want to be teaching them that? Were you taught that kind of lesson at that age?
Did it shape your Outlook in life?
Did you not eventually get to know and understand that a woman's place goes beyond the kitchen?

There are age-appropriate lessons that should be taught at every stage. That stage has not come because the child is not advanced enough to even understand the idea and moral of such lessons yet. so it'd be a waste of time and energy at this level. For now, you can only teach them what they can relate with and that is what the teacher has done but too bad she couldn't defend herself.
Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by Harrietpotter: 9:34pm On Oct 30, 2020
So women who take the role of cleaning and cooking are second class? Let’s not confuse this generation of kids... regardless of your role in the family there is no second class or first class a family should be seen and taught as a team
Plead:

This is where patriarchy begins from. Most of the men that see their wives as second class beings began this way.
While I agree with you that children learn more from what they see their parents doing at home it's not good to be teaching this kinda stuff in this modern age. We have evolved.
Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by NADFOR: 9:46pm On Oct 30, 2020
Plead:

This is where patriarchy begins from. Most of the men that see their wives as second class beings began this way.
While I agree with you that children learn more from what they see their parents doing at home it's not good to be teaching this kinda stuff in this modern age. We have evolved.
No Wonder we have a lot of Gigolo's these days.
Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by NADFOR: 9:51pm On Oct 30, 2020
bukatyne:

So patriarchy is who cooks and cleans: OK.

If she is so concerned about balanced teaching and the simplistic way gender roles are portrayed, then she should have also complained that fathers are portrayed as only providers.

Fathers cook, clean, drive, repair stuffs, protect, encourage etc etc etc.

Perhaps we should list that too so her son doesn't think the only duty of a father is monetary provision.

Anyone who thinks women belong to the kitchen or cooking is meant for only women because his pry 1 social studies teacher said so must be living alone in a forest.

I am sure a lot of people did not even remember until this mother brought it up.

Wouldn't our teachers be over - joyed if it is so easy to retain and apply what they taught us?
I think women too should also start paying dowry.
Shallow thinker

1 Like

Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by Youngsage: 10:03pm On Oct 30, 2020
bukatyne:

So patriarchy is who cooks and cleans: OK.

If she is so concerned about balanced teaching and the simplistic way gender roles are portrayed, then she should have also complained that fathers are portrayed as only providers.

Fathers cook, clean, drive, repair stuffs, protect, encourage etc etc etc.

Perhaps we should list that too so her son doesn't think the only duty of a father is monetary provision.

Anyone who thinks women belong to the kitchen or cooking is meant for only women because his pry 1 social studies teacher said so must be living alone in a forest.

I am sure a lot of people did not even remember until this mother brought it up.

Wouldn't our teachers be over - joyed if it is so easy to retain and apply what they taught us?

Damn! I wish I could like your posts a million times.
Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by Certifiedfucker(m): 10:07pm On Oct 30, 2020
Da fvck...does this woman expect a man to those
Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by od501: 10:09pm On Oct 30, 2020
Plead:

You don't seem to understand the point she's trying to make. She didn't say washing/cleaning and cooking is bad or discourage anyone from practicing patriarchy.
The teacher said fathers provide while mothers assist by cooking and cleaning, what the fvck? In 2020 or 1970? She's trying to say women do other things other than those shits that she mentioned, infact some women are even breadwinners in their homes.
You get now?
By the way, what the fvck does she intend to achieve by saying mothers assist by washing and cooking? Teachings like that will make the young man grow up to have the mentality of "women belong to the kitchen or cooking is meant for women".

My brother, even in 1900 African women still work to "assist" their families. They go to the farms and market too, to "help" the man out. I don't know where we got that concept that in a typical African setting that a women sits back while the man those all the hustling?

It was never like from onset! An average African woman does work, but it is never prioritized; their duty is mainly domestic, and will only work "to assist." African history really needs to be given priority in schools, especially primary schools.

I think this idea of feminism in Africa will finally destroy us as a people, just as religion did! It is unspeakable what modern mothers teach their children today, while in years to come, they begin to wonder why the society have gone so wrong.

1 Like

Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by thinkmoney(m): 10:22pm On Oct 30, 2020
pozehnani:

Oga, at what age do you want to be teaching them that? Were you taught that kind of lesson at that age?
Did it shape your Outlook in life?
Did you not eventually get to know and understand that a woman's place goes beyond the kitchen?

There are age-appropriate lessons that should be taught at every stage. That stage has not come because the child is not advanced enough to even understand the idea and moral of such lessons yet. so it'd be a waste of time and energy at this level. For now, you can only teach them what they can relate with and that is what the teacher has done but too bad she couldn't defend herself.
The fact is our style of education needs serious review. Our society now is the result of what they taught us at schools and homes.
It took extra readings for me to form the liberal person I am today. Many people never escapes the superstitions and awkward morals taught at homes and schools all their livea

1 Like

Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by Kasco(m): 10:33pm On Oct 30, 2020
How this your comment got 90+ likes shows the type of peoples we have here. What if the child doesn't make it to the tertiary?
pozehnani:
ITK. Like the boy will not get to know by the time he gets to the tertiary levels. Is it everything he'll learn at this stage?

2 Likes

Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by Nobody: 10:52pm On Oct 30, 2020
angelfallz:

Lol, I don't know about your perception of marriage. But from my perception the husband is dependent on the woman to cook and make the house into a home(homemaker using US lingo). The wife is dependent on the man to provide for her both materially and financially as well as security(provider).
So in marriage there is dependency from both husbands and wives
The problem is these homemakers are often underappreciated.
Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by lacum: 10:58pm On Oct 30, 2020
Plead:

Will women ever evolved from depending on men to provide everything in the family?
Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by Missssii: 11:07pm On Oct 30, 2020
Plead:

Most male nairalanders won’t see it this way. Don’t stress yourself because you can never get through to them. Patriarchy is the only thing they’ve got working favorably in their lives and hell will freeze over before they can concede to its evils.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by pozehnani(f): 11:10pm On Oct 30, 2020
Kasco:
How this your comment got 90+ likes shows the type of peoples we have here. What if the child doesn't make it to the tertiary?

Stop being sentimental Mr. Man. Is it the likes you should be concerned about or the common sense in what I wrote?

Even if the child doesn't make it to the tertiary, at least he'll get to learn about it from the society he'll grow up in. There are people ( including you) who got to know about certain things at a later stage of their lives school or no school. It has become a norm. Either with formal or no formal education, he'll grow up and naturally fit into the norm. Leave grammar abeg. ITK too much.

For your info, those who liked my comment read and understood well what I meant and you're not smarter than them. So deal with it!
I Wish I could reciprocate the likes back to them for catching my drift.

1 Like

Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by pozehnani(f): 11:34pm On Oct 30, 2020
thinkmoney:

The fact is our style of education needs serious review. Our society now is the result of what they taught us at schools and homes.
It took extra readings for me to form the liberal person I am today. Many people never escapes the superstitions and awkward morals taught at homes and schools all their livea

Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by pozehnani(f): 11:34pm On Oct 30, 2020
thinkmoney:

Extra readings at what age? And you think you would have been able to read and shape yourself to the liberal person you are today if you had read whatever it was at that boy's age?

The teacher didn't outrightly teach the boy that women should not work. She was only teaching him what he should know at that level according to scheme. It's the mother that is just being busy bodied and trying to add to syllabus what is not there.

Free the confused teacher abeg. I wonder why she could not put the woman in her place. And this is exactly the problem we are facing in our educational system today where parents want to dictate how schools should be run. Typical of NIgerian parents.
Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by Exodora: 1:37am On Oct 31, 2020
BrownLondon:
Nonsense.
Explain ?
Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by EndBuhariNow(m): 1:49am On Oct 31, 2020
How will this rubbish change his thinking... No teacher taught me anything, I even start watching nude magazine then at very tender age of 8, and had my first sex at 13+ but it didn't reshape my reasoning towards women , infact it was a great experience that Forged me into more a better self dependant man ... I taught myself everything I knw today, I knw when I did good and when I did wrong, it's the first basic thing one should know
Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by Phoenix999: 2:58am On Oct 31, 2020
Plead:

You don't seem to understand the point she's trying to make. She didn't say washing/cleaning and cooking is bad or discourage anyone from practicing patriarchy.
The teacher said fathers provide while mothers assist by cooking and cleaning, what the fvck? In 2020 or 1970? She's trying to say women do other things other than those shits that she mentioned, infact some women are even breadwinners in their homes.
You get now?
By the way, what the fvck does she intend to achieve by saying mothers assist by washing and cooking? Teachings like that will make the young man grow up to have the mentality of "women belong to the kitchen or cooking is meant for women".

Ogbeni just hush already... Your mouth stinks pvssy. Woman dey school, you no wan learn... You're just blabbing trash tryna blot your deflated ego.

Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by Nobody: 3:29am On Oct 31, 2020
Like the saying goes charity begins at home, it's what you as a mother or father do at home that your children sees and learn from and must everything be put on SM...what a drag
pozehnani:

Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by wany(f): 3:47am On Oct 31, 2020
bukatyne:

1. What have we evolved to?
2. What's wrong with patriarchy?
3. How does wives cook and husbands provide equate thinking a wife is a second class being?

I wanted to do a Q & A thread on patriarchy however I haven't gotten around to do so.

What would solve madam's issue with the curriculum is to establish feminist schools. Kids can be taught sex orientation, sexual liberty, LGBTQ~ and any other thing that catches their fancy.
Accept it or not ,we have evolve, go and check a lot of homes today women are paying rents ,picking 60% of the bills.and its not going to change soon,also cause of the new economy.so if you are still holding on to your backward patriarchy then sad .every man now needs to tone down on his patrichal ego for a balance family and home.and if I may ask you what is wrong if a man cooks and wash.

2 Likes

Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by wany(f): 4:04am On Oct 31, 2020
MhisTahrah:
Why are you shifting goalpost?The issue here is that mothers are portrayed as dependants in a kiddies book.
Don't mind the asslicker,guess she is hustling had to a ring.from one of the NL alphas. Go through all her post and you will get the drift. undecided
Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by wany(f): 4:13am On Oct 31, 2020
efficiencie:

Patriarchy does not necessarily result in men seeing their women as second class. Patriarchy as a construct has its nuances determined by individuals. Just as feminism has its nuances reflected at the level of the individual. You cannot dress everyone in the same robe because we are fundamentally different. For example some regard the Bible as being anti-women but the same persons will cleverly avoid reading about Deborah, the daughters of Zelophehad, Huldah, Esther, Miriam, Jezebel, Delilah, Jael, Queen of Sheba, Rahab, Athalia, Ruth, the daughters of Philip, the widow and prophetess at the temple who witnessed the birth of Christ, Mary Magdalene, Cloe, etc...who all were influencers in their own right!

Patriarchy is evil ,and has only been able to raise egocentric monkeys.a lot of men will chicken out at the sight of another man but will stand tall and tell a woman am a man,but can't mention that to a fellow man.

3 Likes

Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by Nobody: 4:13am On Oct 31, 2020
IamD18:
Fathers provides for the family.

Mothers sweep, cook and wash.

If this reality is bitter to you, go fvck yourself.

Well, these days, fathers and mothers provide for the family. Fathers and mothers also take care the home, the difference is more like the women do the more homely and less physical stuffs like cooking while the dad do more constructions and repairs around the house.

If it is not because of the Nigerian situation, there is no big deal in washing. Washing machine, dryers, dishwashers, vacuum cleaners will do all these jobs for you in no time.

I'm a lady by the way, an engineer to be precise. I love to work and make money. I'd love to support my husband in every way possible including financially. The money my dad used to start the business he is doing today is courtsey of my mum. If she wasn't working, where will she see the money to give him.

I grew up seeing my mum work and take care of the home very well, and I will do the same by God's grace.

1 Like

Re: Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role by pozehnani(f): 4:29am On Oct 31, 2020
Ferizu:
Like the saying goes charity begins at home, it's what you as a mother or father do at home that your children sees and learn from and must everything be put on SM...what a drag

I wonder o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Parents To Withdraw Children From Madonna University Over Students’ Detention / 7 Facts About English You Don't Know / Sanwo-Olu Rewards Aminat Yusuf With ₦10M

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.