Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,800 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? (989 Views)

Acura RDX 2007 Temperature Gauge Issue / .... The Power Of Mobil 1 Extended Performance After 12k miles oil change / 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by naijadrivablog: 7:36pm On Oct 30, 2020
So, I notice the oil of my vehicle "shorts". I told my kazeem to check for leaks and he didn't find any, apart from that of the hose of power steering which splashes oil on back of the engine.

He told me to flush the engine before my next oil change. Is this a good idea?

Please note that my engine steams mist even in some afternoons.

PS: Car: 2000 Toyota RAV4L

Nurey, gazzuzz, et al
Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by AshipaEk0: 7:41pm On Oct 30, 2020
engine flush on an engine that old is NOT a great idea.

might reveal big issues with seals and valves

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by naijadrivablog: 7:49pm On Oct 30, 2020
AshipaEk0:
engine flush on an engine that old is NOT a great idea.

might reveal big issues with seals and valves

So, wetin man go do? (In Burna Boy's voice). tongue
Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:54pm On Oct 30, 2020
naijadrivablog:
So, I notice the oil of my vehicle "shorts". I told my kazeem to check for leaks and he didn't find any, apart from that of the hose of power steering which splashes oil on back of the engine.

Nurey, gazzuzz, et al

21year old car , rebuild the engine. What ever you do, DO NOT FLUSH IT O!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:01pm On Oct 30, 2020
You're burning oil. Switch to a slightly thicker oil.

Do not flush.
Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by AshipaEk0: 8:03pm On Oct 30, 2020
naijadrivablog:

So, wetin man go do? (In Burna Boy's voice). tongue

the engine is past its best years.

look to getting another or rebuild as gazz said. Only that kazeems that can rebuild and do good work are not that common in Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by naijadrivablog: 8:04pm On Oct 30, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

21year old car , rebuild the engine. What ever you do, DO NOT FLUSH IT O!

bought toks in 2016. Ok
Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by naijadrivablog: 8:07pm On Oct 30, 2020
AshipaEk0:

the engine is past its best years.

look to getting another or rebuild as gazz said. Only that kazeems that can rebuild and do good work are not that common in Nigeria

3S-FE, yeah. I thought a valve or oil seal is leaking as the engine steams mist and drives well.
Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by naijadrivablog: 8:10pm On Oct 30, 2020
HeavenlyBang:
You're burning oil. Switch to a slightly thicker oil.

Do not flush.
Heavenlybang, one bottle for you for Stanel World Awka cheesy

I suspected that the Mobil 20W-50 XHP is becoming too light for that rugged motor.

Could it be (burning oil) the cause of the rattling noise I hear @ 1500 RPM when accelerating?

Which one I go come switch to now?
Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:38pm On Oct 30, 2020
naijadrivablog:

I suspected that the Mobil 20W-50 XHP is becoming too light for that rugged motor.

Could it be (burning oil) the cause of the rattling noise I hear @ 1500 RPM when accelerating?

Wow, you're already on 20W50.

Wahala be like bicycle. Be like say na diesel you go dey put o.

2 Likes

Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:42pm On Oct 30, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Wow, you're already on 20W50.

Wahala be like bicycle. Be like say na diesel you go dey put o.

When you said thicker oil I was wondering what next cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:47pm On Oct 30, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

E shock me.

2 Likes

Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:01am On Oct 31, 2020
naijadrivablog:

Nurey, gazzuzz, et al

your car is 20 years old there is a high chance of burning oil a bit if it is still uses the same engine from day of rolling down from the assembly line,
there is important missing information from you, you need to tell us what distance you cover till your next top up , for an example myself every year i do few trips from Glasgow to London which is about 1400km back and forth so on my third or fourth trip thats when i checked my oil before i leave Glasgow. But lets say if dont travel such long distance i dont bother checking oil becoz local trips dont burn oil BUT in your case it depends with how health is your engine

2 Likes

Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by BoboKush(m): 6:59am On Oct 31, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

Which mineral oil can u recommend for corolla 08....around 6k is max budget

I don't want synthetic and my budget up dere

Will appreciate quick response
Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by Midoda: 7:22am On Oct 31, 2020
BoboKush:

Hmmn,Ogogoro be like skele .Go to Mobil fuel station and buy the new Mobil 2000 5w30 its semi synthetic(i guess or mineral self) and falls within your budget.

1 Like

Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by BoboKush(m): 7:27am On Oct 31, 2020
Midoda:

Hmmn,Ogogoro be like skele .Go to Mobil fuel station and buy the new Mobil 2000 5w30 its semi synthetic(i guess or mineral self) and falls within your budget.

Thank you
Sheyb that one is manageable ba?
Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by Midoda: 9:03am On Oct 31, 2020
BoboKush:

Thank you
Sheyb that one is manageable ba?

Your car requires 5w20 synthetic but as you don swear say lai lai,that one dey manageable yes �
Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by 9icetoo(m): 9:45am On Oct 31, 2020
naijadrivablog:

Why did you start using 20w50 in the first place?
Wey that oil guy?
You can continue using the 20w50. When the oil burn burn becomes unbearable, you can refurbish the engine or slap in a toks engine. After 20w50, na straight 50 or 75w90 gear oil na him be next weight oo. cheesy
Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by 9icetoo(m): 9:48am On Oct 31, 2020
BoboKush:

How much is tokunbo corolla engine?
E be like say you wan open thread like OP.
Bros up your budget to like 8k and go and buy the mineral 5w30 oil sold by Mobil. Change every 3 months or every 3000miles or 5000km.
Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by cyborg123(m): 10:17am On Oct 31, 2020
Just buy extra oil of the same type you have been using and top up as needed. Don't give yourself unnecessary headache.

1 Like

Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by BoboKush(m): 10:58pm On Oct 31, 2020
9icetoo:

How much is tokunbo corolla engine?
E be like say you wan open thread like OP.
Bros up your budget to like 8k and go and buy the mineral 5w30 oil sold by Mobil. Change every 3 months or every 3000miles or 5000km.

This??

Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by BoboKush(m): 10:59pm On Oct 31, 2020
Midoda:

This one abi?

Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by 9icetoo(m): 8:22am On Nov 01, 2020
BoboKush:

This??
Yes. Change every 3 months or even less if you drive in the hellhole called lagos and sit for 2-3 hours everyday in traffic.

1 Like

Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by BoboKush(m): 10:56am On Nov 01, 2020
9icetoo:

Yes. Change every 3 months or even less if you drive in the hellhole called lagos and sit for 2-3 hours everyday in traffic.

Ok thanks.. Noted
Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by Midoda: 5:24am On Nov 02, 2020
BoboKush:

This one abi?
Enjoy your lunch

1 Like

Re: Vehicle Oil Doesn't Gauge Before Next Oil Change, Flush Engine? by naijadrivablog: 7:43pm On Nov 03, 2020
cyborg123:
Just buy extra oil of the same type you have been using and top up as needed. Don't give yourself unnecessary headache.
I think you are right. It is written in the owner's manual that it is normal for the engine to use (burn) oil as it is used to lubricate the moving parts in the engine. ©Toyota.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Peperish Fumes/smoke To The Eyes Coming Into The Car / (Sowore) After fixing his car, he refused to pay, it's 5 months now / HELP - Where Can I Hire A Car In Lagos For 6 Months?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.