Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,507 members, 7,819,838 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? (9263 Views)

Should I Abandon My Masters In Nigeria And Start Afresh Abroad? / Should I Sell My Late Mother's House With Her Grave To Fund My Masters In UK? / Can I Do Masters With A 3rd Class Degree In Europe (USA)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by simultaneousboi(m): 6:28am On Oct 31, 2020
Good morning my people. As I was making enquiry on the best institution to offer PGD with my HND microbiology result, someone told me that I can proceed for masters without PGD as far as I have UPPER CREDIT. How true is this please? I thought it's only BSC holders with FIRST CLASS and SECOND CLASS UPPER that can do that, is HND now applicable?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by yanabasee(m): 6:32am On Oct 31, 2020
You will have to do a Postgraduate diploma for conversion.....

1 Like

Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by cardoso514: 6:36am On Oct 31, 2020
Yes

1 Like

Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by simultaneousboi(m): 6:39am On Oct 31, 2020
yanabasee:
You will have to do a Postgraduate diploma for conversion.....
Explain this to me pls
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by sonofthunder: 7:05am On Oct 31, 2020
simultaneousboi:
Explain this to me pls

I'm not sure but I think most Nigeria universities will require you to have a PGD first, but with a good result, some foreign universities will allow you proceed straight to a masters degree.
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by Alhajiemeritus: 7:35am On Oct 31, 2020
You can't do Masters with HND result.
You'll have to do PGD for one year, after PGD you can then apply for Masters.

1 Like

Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by crestedaguiyi: 9:25am On Oct 31, 2020
Ask somebody is university of ibadan, university of uyo and delta state university .

Your HND must be upper credit and above

1 Like

Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by Petersamuel8(m): 9:59am On Oct 31, 2020
You need pgd first
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by greatict: 10:35am On Oct 31, 2020
Professional advice as a scholar...
Though, some private universities in Nigeria or foreign universities can offer admission into Master's degree programme without PGD but it is only ideal if you will operate in the industry after your study, just as MBA is only useful in the industry...
So, if you will end up in the academic environment it is better to go through proper conversion, HND/B.Sc or PGD... Ordinarily to proceed to university for further study from lower tertiary institutions that runs sub degree programmes you need conversion at any stage or entry point such as JAMB Direct Entry, HND to BSc conversion, Post Graduate Diploma
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by jcflex(m): 11:16am On Oct 31, 2020
yes you can.
but only allow for professional Masters and not Academic masters.

mostly in this part of the world, most people dnt even know we have professional and Academic masters.

but with professional Master, you cnt proceed further except you enrol for one year MPhil program which is basically research work bfor you can go for PhD.

mind you professional Masters does not waste time you can get it within 12months which is a yr, while sm schs is within 12-18mnth.

Academic master is 24months which most pple self dey finish after 3yrs.

4 Likes

Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by simultaneousboi(m): 12:13pm On Oct 31, 2020
crestedaguiyi:
Ask somebody is university of ibadan, university of uyo and delta state university .

OK. Just like I mentioned above, I have upper credit.
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by Nicklaus619(m): 12:23pm On Oct 31, 2020
This discrimination and disparity between HND and Degree is too enormous, still got me wondering why some people opt for polytechnic, it's better u run your 4 years degree course in the university, u can go any where with your degree both here and abroad in terms of continuing education or seeking for employment, it gets crazier when you go to the labour market seeking employment, the discrimination gets more annoying, most employers will first of all consider the degree holders before thinking of HND, hell I have been to several interviews where the interviewers group the HND, ND and school cert leavers in one group and degree in the other,
at the end degree holders mostly got employed while HND and the rest was left hanging, it's too bad, will not advice anyone to buy a polytechnic form, degree is everything especially when no one is assisting you with employment,

with my degree when I applied to do my masters in Canada, it was effortless, Nah money remain now make I japa, everything don set, i applied 5 different Schools for my masters in canada, all gave me admission cheesy

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by simultaneousboi(m): 12:27pm On Oct 31, 2020
greatict:
Professional advice as a scholar...
Though, some private universities in Nigeria or foreign universities can offer admission into Master's degree programme without PGD but it is only ideal if you will operate in the industry after your study, just as MBA is only useful in the industry...
So, if you will end up in the academic environment it is better to go through proper conversion, HND/B.Sc or PGD... Ordinarily to proceed to university for further study from lower tertiary institutions that runs sub degree programmes you need conversion at any stage or entry point such as JAMB Direct Entry, HND to BSc conversion, Post Graduate Diploma
Thanks so much for this...I am a Naval Personnel, I joined Nigerian Navy with my ND result. So I am planning to proceed in my career with a higher certificate. Currently Navy, don't accept Microbiology unless the person has PGD. I was lucky enough and the same time unlucky this year to get Navy DSSC with my HND(microbiology) result due to the strong hand that helped me, but I was along the line dropped because of Hermia(which I just did the surgery a month ago). So, my priority is to further more in my career via DSSC.
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by simultaneousboi(m): 12:35pm On Oct 31, 2020
Nicklaus619:
This discrimination and disparity between HND and Degree is too enormous, still got me wondering why some people opt for polytechnic, it's better u run your 4 years degree course in the university, u can go any where with your degree both here and abroad in terms of continuing education or seeking for employment, it gets crazier when you go to the labour market seeking employment, the discrimination gets more annoying, most employers will first of all consider the degree holders before thinking of HND, hell I have been to several interviews where the interviewers group the HND, ND and school cert leavers in one group and degree in the other,
at the end degree holders mostly got employed while HND and the rest was left hanging, it's too bad, will not advice anyone to buy a polytechnic form, degree is everything especially when no one is assisting you with employment,

with my degree when I applied to do my masters in Canada, it was effortless, Nah money remain now make I japa, everything don set, i applied 5 different Schools for my masters in canada, all gave me admission cheesy

Wow..congratulations... I chose polytechnic not because I like it but because I was not having a good O-level result then, it was thereafter(during my ND1) that I made my WAEC and I was too anxious to enter school then, because I had a very good score in my jamb back then in 2011.

1 Like

Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by Nicklaus619(m): 1:21pm On Oct 31, 2020
simultaneousboi:

Wow..congratulations... I chose polytechnic not because I like it but because I was not having a good O-level result then, it was thereafter(during my ND1) that I made my WAEC and I was too anxious to enter school then, because I had a very good score in my jamb back then in 2011.

I can imagine bro, it's well
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by greatict: 8:16pm On Oct 31, 2020
Just like JCFLEX rightly said, even if you are opportune to do Master's with HND, you will only be admitted into professional Master's programme which will not subject you to rigorous academic exercise like academic Master's... That is why academic Master's has advantage over professional Master's with which you can take executive position in the industry or lecturing appointment...
Some of us knew of this from onset , that is why we had endeavour to study from one university to another up to PhD

1 Like

Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by simultaneousboi(m): 12:19am On Nov 01, 2020
greatict:
Just like JCFLEX rightly said, even if you are opportune to do Master's with HND, you will only be admitted into professional Master's programme which will not subject you to rigorous academic exercise like academic Master's... That is why academic Master's has advantage over professional Master's with which you can take executive position in the industry or lecturing appointment...
Some of us knew of this from onset , that is why we had endeavour to study from one university to another up to PhD
OK Sir
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by edoairways: 1:21pm On Nov 01, 2020
crestedaguiyi:

Ok

1 Like

Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by Kunja2: 8:31am On Dec 07, 2020
Nicklaus619:

Baba, good morning. Can one also apply for Masters with HND and how much is the tuition for the school's you applied to and how did you go about the whole process of seeking for admission there? Thanks alot
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by DMainMan: 10:39am On Dec 07, 2020
simultaneousboi:
Good morning my people. As I was making enquiry on the best institution to offer PGD with my HND microbiology result, someone told me that I can proceed for masters without PGD as far as I have UPPER CREDIT. How true is this please? I thought it's only BSC holders with FIRST CLASS and SECOND CLASS UPPER that can do that, is HND now applicable?

In Nigeria, I think UNILAG accepts HND Upper Credit for MBA admission directly. I don't know of current rules of now as things changes.

In USA, you can get admission and scholarship with HND. Convert your HND with US WES transripts conversion as they rate it equivalent to BSc. Check this link for more info
https://www.nairaland.com/370346/what-hnd-equivalent-usa. Follow the advice of Ghost87 and GNwafor

In the UK, Sheffield Hallam University, University of Sunderland and some other universities will give you MSC admission if you have relevant work experience.

1 Like

Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by GNwafor(m): 11:16am On Dec 16, 2020
Thanks to you, @DMainMan for the mention. I have been busy lately and was not following up on some happenings. Anyways!

@simultaneousboi, read this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/370346/what-hnd-equivalent-usa. It will reset a whole lot of things in your mindset.

Just like some people have opined, I wanted everyone reading this to understand that "Intention, Perspective, and Exposure" guides everything in life, and it is directly proportional to your level of success in life and how far you can reach in life.

@simultaneousboi, if you are told that with your HND you can get admission to study for your MSc in the USA, a lot of people will tell you it is a lie. What you don't know, you don't know. And what you don't know is bigger than you.

Ever since I discovered in 2013 that my IMT Enugu Nigeria 5-year HND program in Chemical Engineering is Equivalent to a USA Bachelor's degree (as per World Education Service - WES Credential Evaluation with a US GPA of 3.76/4.00), I made a personal and conscious decision NOT to study again in Nigeria because they don't understand and value the credential (HND) and I have lived by it to date by God's grace. I have gone to earn an MBA in Project Leadership & Management in India, Graduate Diploma in Digital Transformation & Innovation 4.0 in Singapore. I even applied for a Masters Degree (MSc) admission to the University of Aberdeen UK (MSc Decommissioning) and Heriot-Watt University UK (MSc Integrated Field Management); these are core Engineering Masters programs and I was accepted. But because these two courses at Aberdeen & Heriot-Watt are somehow limiting me specifically in the oil and gas sector where I operate, and in line with my longterm career goals, perspective, and aspirations, I decided to go to an uncharted path and recently joined the Liverpool John Moores University's first in the world MSc Programme in Marine Technical Superintendent (Marine Engineering & Management). I have even won an international award in Russia for my Technical Papers published in an Oil & Gas International Industry Journal in 2019. This is NOT to brag but to help put into perspective how your intentions and exposure can place you on the global stage. Again, I don't even work in Nigeria and this is very important as I have proved my worth to my Employer.

So it is Not about BSc or HND, except if you want to limit your global outlook/exposure to ONLY Nigerian myopic experience (especially to become a Nigerian University Lecturer and join ASUU for the incessant strike actions as Government don't want to fund research in Nigeria), then follow the BSc route. But if you are challenged to be providing solutions to the technical problems in the industry, there are options to enroll directly into Master's programs with your HND and move on with your life and career, and even take it to the Doctorate degree level which I will be joining soon. With your Doctorate Degree and wealth of Practical Experience from the Industry, You can ultimately become a Professor/Faculty of Practice (if that is your desire) in any University in the world as long you meet their requirements.

So the question is, what is your intention for the PGD/Masters in Microbiology? What is your long-term career goal? Are you aware that you can go for your Master's overseas even with a scholarship? Do you think studying the PGD/MSc in Nigeria will provide the best platform to unleash your potential in the world? How exposed are you globally?

Note this - Intention, Perspective & Exposure!!!! What is your intention? Do you want to be ONLY exposed to Nigerian systems?

You Must Be Intentional about your Future, Career & Life. Everything we need is in our Hands. Use it Wisely.

The world is moving at the Speed of Light and is NOT waiting on Nigeria or ASUU or BSc/HND, the wave of change is everywhere. Is either you are in or out!!!!!

DMainMan:

In Nigeria, I think UNILAG accepts HND Upper Credit for MBA admission directly. I don't know of current rules of now as things changes.

In USA, you can get admission and scholarship with HND. Convert your HND with US WES transripts conversion as they rate it equivalent to BSc. Check this link for more info
https://www.nairaland.com/370346/what-hnd-equivalent-usa. Follow the advice of Ghost87 and GNwafor

In the UK, Sheffield Hallam University, University of Sunderland and some other universities will give you MSC admission if you have relevant work experience.

4 Likes

Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by 9jageekz(m): 1:47pm On Dec 16, 2020
GNwafor:
Thanks to you, @DMainMan for the mention. I have been busy lately and was not following up on some happenings. Anyways!

@simultaneousboi, read this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/370346/what-hnd-equivalent-usa. It will reset a whole lot of things in your mindset.

Just like some people have opined, I wanted everyone reading this to understand that "Intention, Perspective, and Exposure" guides everything in life, and it is directly proportional to your level of success in life and how far you can reach in life.

@simultaneousboi, if you are told that with your HND you can get admission to study for your MSc in the USA, a lot of people will tell you it is a lie. What you don't know, you don't know. And what you don't know is bigger than you.

Ever since I discovered in 2013 that my IMT Enugu Nigeria 5-year HND program in Chemical Engineering is Equivalent to a USA Bachelor's degree (as per World Education Service - WES Credential Evaluation with a US GPA of 3.76/4.00), I made a personal and conscious decision NOT to study again in Nigeria because they don't understand and value the credential (HND) and I have lived by it to date by God's grace. I have gone to earn an MBA in Project Leadership & Management in India, Graduate Diploma in Digital Transformation & Innovation 4.0 in Singapore. I even applied for a Masters Degree (MSc) admission to the University of Aberdeen UK (MSc Decommissioning) and Heriot-Watt University UK (MSc Integrated Field Management); these are core Engineering Masters programs and I was accepted. But because these two courses at Aberdeen & Heriot-Watt are somehow limiting me specifically in the oil and gas sector where I operate, and in line with my longterm career goals, perspective, and aspirations, I decided to go to an uncharted path and recently joined the Liverpool John Moores University's first in the world MSc Programme in Marine Technical Superintendent (Marine Engineering & Management). I have even won an international award in Russia for my Technical Papers published in an Oil & Gas International Industry Journal in 2019. This is NOT to brag but to help put into perspective how your intentions and exposure can place you on the global stage. Again, I don't even work in Nigeria and this is very important as I have proved my worth to my Employer.

So it is Not about BSc or HND, except if you want to limit your global outlook/exposure to ONLY Nigerian myopic experience (especially to become a Nigerian University Lecturer and join ASUU for the incessant strike actions as Government don't want to fund research in Nigeria), then follow the BSc route. But if you are challenged to be providing solutions to the technical problems in the industry, there are options to enroll directly into Master's programs with your HND and move on with your life and career, and even take it to the Doctorate degree level which I will be joining soon. With your Doctorate Degree and wealth of Practical Experience from the Industry, You can ultimately become a Professor/Faculty of Practice (if that is your desire) in any University in the world as long you meet their requirements.

So the question is, what is your intention for the PGD/Masters in Microbiology? What is your long-term career goal? Are you aware that you can go for your Master's overseas even with a scholarship? Do you think studying the PGD/MSc in Nigeria will provide the best platform to unleash your potential in the world? How exposed are you globally?

Note this - Intention, Perspective & Exposure!!!! What is your intention? Do you want to be ONLY exposed to Nigerian systems?

You Must Be Intentional about your Future, Career & Life. Everything we need is in our Hands. Use it Wisely.

The world is moving at the Speed of Light and is NOT waiting on Nigeria or ASUU or BSc/HND, the wave of change is everywhere. Is either you are in or out!!!!!

Hello and good day sir,

Your post is really expository and very motivating, I'll love to discuss with you. I have a HND with a distinction grade. I am quite ambivalent of the path process to achieve the MSC.

I'll appreciate your work on NL and I must commend your generosity and genuineness. I'll love to have your WhatsApp number if you don't mind sir.

Regards.
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by edoairways: 5:40pm On Dec 16, 2020
Nicklaus619:

Those universities abroad has less crowd when compared to ours
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by Nicklaus619(m): 6:01pm On Dec 16, 2020
edoairways:

Those universities abroad has less crowd when compared to ours

True
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by GNwafor(m): 12:46am On Dec 18, 2020
Hi @ 9jageekz, Thanks for your comments, and I am happy you found posts insightful. Do send me an email, we can start from there.

Cheers!

9jageekz:

Hello and good day sir,

Your post is really expository and very motivating, I'll love to discuss with you. I have a HND with a distinction grade. I am quite ambivalent of the path process to achieve the MSC.

I'll appreciate your work on NL and I must commend your generosity and genuineness. I'll love to have your WhatsApp number if you don't mind sir.

Regards.
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by elbulk(m): 10:40am On Dec 18, 2020
simultaneousboi:

It depends on the school and course. If its an MBA there are a number of schools that will accept you. In IT too schools like University of Iloring will accept HND, NOUN too.
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by AIT1(m): 6:59pm On Dec 18, 2020
Nicklaus619:

I know it has been long bro. But please which school did you apply to? I will like to try my luck.

Thank you and God bless you.
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by Nicklaus619(m): 10:05pm On Dec 18, 2020
AIT1:

I know it has been long bro. But please which school did you apply to? I will like to try my luck.

Thank you and God bless you.

University of Calgary
Tuition: $3,693
Degree Programs: Offers course-based and research-based Master’s and Doctorate degrees in a variety of subjects

That's The cheapest among all
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by AIT1(m): 12:58am On Dec 19, 2020
Nicklaus619:

University of Calgary
Tuition: $3,693
Degree Programs: Offers course-based and research-based Master’s and Doctorate degrees in a variety of subjects

That's The cheapest among all

Okay thanks.
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by Cortexhills99: 10:18am On Dec 19, 2020
Nicklaus619:

Can a make some equeries from you about schools in canada
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by Nicklaus619(m): 11:45am On Dec 19, 2020
Cortexhills99:

Can a make some equeries from you about schools in canada

Sure
Re: Can I Do My Masters With My Hnd(upper Credit) Result? by 9jageekz(m): 5:27pm On Dec 24, 2020
GNwafor:

Hi @ 9jageekz, Thanks for your comments, and I am happy you found posts insightful. Do send me an email, we can start from there.

Cheers!

I'll do that asap..

(1) (Reply)

Which One Will Be Full First? / 2015 Waec Update / Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.