Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:58 AM

UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) (35039 Views)

Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans / Gunmen Assassinate UBTH Doctor, Otote Osaikhuomwan, Colleagues Protest (Photos) / LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by kanuoluwa(m): 8:42pm On Oct 31, 2020
WandaMaximoff:
In as much as Hospitals are not a charity organisation, there should be provision for cases like this.

Probably a pro bono purse to help people who they've verified are unable to pay their bills.
exactly
Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by emmyN(m): 8:50pm On Oct 31, 2020
I'm not sure that I understand the position of the law concerning debt recovery. First I learned that the Police cannot be used as a debt recovery agent, now this. What's the legally approved way to recover one's debt? I would appreciate if someone educate me here.

3 Likes

Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by SKINDOGGY: 8:52pm On Oct 31, 2020
Any update
Enudapan:
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so sophisticated

Good one
Poverty is not a crime shaa
Buh
Every young folks out there should start preaching the good news of B0mbing to all
The undergraduate nd graduate outta.
This Time around it has taken different various profitable shapes, no longer the thing
You all used to know
Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by Bigchristo: 9:09pm On Oct 31, 2020
slawormiir:
damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright
Hahaha
Wahalar nor too much

And the pussy ass niggarr who impregnated her is no where to be found

I don't know how broke people manage to get an erection
To make it worse they will go ahead an insert their penis inside a juicy pussy without condom and even fail to withdraw(coitus interruptus) when they get to peak of excitement
People get mind o.....if me broke my penis nor dey green stand
You have finally killed me with laughter, the last part got me cracking up, I swearo gawd my pennis nor fit raise even if e raise that fear of brokenness in my can make it fall again �
Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by Bukasint(f): 9:21pm On Oct 31, 2020
If hospitals start collecting money before treatment una go dey shout say na human life..see how stupid the lawyer defended the right of a woman who owed the Hospital 500k and still had the effrontery to make baseless point as to why she should be released. Nobody cared to ask were the stupid man that got her pregnant and also saying misdiagnosis. If you know how irresponsible and forgetful most pregnant women are these days you will know some come to hospital without nothing thinking you are created to treat them feely. No preparation for whatsoever. You just make up your mind that you have come to be saved.

I do ask them who goes to bank saying I open an account without money inside and say pls can Ivmake some withdrawal or going to shoprite and demand to buy goods without pay...

This point of saying is human life involved has made so many lazy and irresponsible to care about their life,health and even their unborn child. Make them not to save money at all.That's why if you work in the hospital you will understand.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by Kingstanding: 9:22pm On Oct 31, 2020
CodeTemplar:
Where is that governor who dashed Laycon N5m for winning over N50m? He is needed in places like these.
. You should have told Ogun state government to give the woman who is from Edo State all the Ogun state monthly allocation to her. Didirin.
Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by Bukasint(f): 9:34pm On Oct 31, 2020
Bkayyy:
See eternal wickedness.
This woman must have been created by the God of hate himself to be the human form of wickedness in the face of Earth.
How can you be as broke as not to be able to pay for delivery fee and you move about having unprotected sex with the intention of bringing innocent children in this world to suffer for your wickedness

My dear come to Ilesha osun state. They are like northern almajiris... They give birth like rats without penny, the worst of it all they think you owe them money to deliver their baby. You will see okada man having two wives yet he has no money to take care of them. Breeding hoodlums and miscreants our generation to battle.

6 Likes

Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by Bukasint(f): 9:35pm On Oct 31, 2020
frosbel2:
Wickedness and Nigeria are like brother and sister.

What a country ; no mercy, no empathy , no humanity and yet they have churches at every street corner.

Shut up your mouth...open business and give it out freely. You think hospital na charity organization.

1 Like

Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by subcbouy: 9:36pm On Oct 31, 2020
UBTH will soon start rejecting people of her status and condition. At least, she should pay 45% of the bill.

2 Likes

Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 31, 2020
Bukasint:

Shut up your mouth...open business and give it out freely. You think hospital na charity organization.

Let me educate your ignorance. It is the duty of a doctor to treat a patience irrespective of their financial status. After treatment , you can setup a payment plan over a short period to get your money back, but you have no right to detain them away from their families. It is sadistic and barbaric.
Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by edoairways: 9:45pm On Oct 31, 2020
thesicilian:
Just see how the hospital has been painted to be the criminals in this case
And if they don't treat they will be labelled criminals too

4 Likes

Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by edoairways: 9:46pm On Oct 31, 2020
subcbouy:
UBTH will soon start rejecting people of her status and condition. At least, she should pay 45% of the bill.
Yeah! This is where the government comes in

2 Likes

Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by Bkayyy: 9:48pm On Oct 31, 2020
Bukasint:

My dear come to Ilesha osun state. They are like northern almajiris... They give birth like rats without penny, the worst of it all they think you owe them money to deliver their baby. You will see okada man having two wives yet he has no money to take care of them. Breeding hoodlums and miscreants our generation to battle.
Just look at.
If I say my mind now, people will say I'm don't have emotions. Looking at things objectively one will see reason Hitler said that some citizens of Germany are unfit to be alive (I'm not talking about the Jews oh)
Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by Judolisco(m): 9:56pm On Oct 31, 2020
authority2006:

They didn't do well enough if you ask me, teaching hospital owned by government for that matter.
So, they could release her and still not fold up, then why detaining her for six months?
She could have been allowed to work part-time and allowed to enjoin her freedom.
Her bill could have been considered as how they're giving back to the society.
I'm sure that her bill wasn't 500k naira initially.
they do pay bills in teaching hospitals o, but they will treat you first even in general hospital, some private hospitals will ask you to make a deposit b4 they touch you.... I don't knw why they denied her freedom sha

1 Like

Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by stasius: 11:54pm On Oct 31, 2020
If that lawyer writing that thing owns a hospital or has a wife who runs a hospital ;where people will come for treatment and tell him there is no money to pay after treatment, I hope he will still maintain his current stance!

Peace!

4 Likes

Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by stasius: 12:00am On Nov 01, 2020
thesicilian:
Just see how the hospital has been painted to be the criminals in this case

Exactly! They have done their work and it is time to be paid and one mpama comes up with contract law nyenyenyen!

What if hospitals start demanding for pay before service or tell people to sign an agreement before commencing treatment? How many people will survive?

Now the hospital have done the essential thing( saving her life first without collecting dime), now it is time to pay and one efulefu will label them wicked!

We have a long way to go in this country.

Until the government provides a universal health insurance coverage for every citizen of Nigeria, expect this kind of situation!

Nonsense!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by DrFunmisticGlow: 3:28am On Nov 01, 2020
Malawian:
This country is rife with wickedness. Instead of the woman to sue the hospital for a botched C&S and the loss of her baby, the hospital even went ahead to detain her for 6 months. Yet, this is even a government hospital, not a private one.
This country is ripe for fundamental changes.
this comment shows that your schoolfees was a waste
Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by DrFunmisticGlow: 3:33am On Nov 01, 2020
frosbel2:

Let me educate your ignorance. It is the duty of a doctor to treat a patience irrespective of their financial status. After treatment , you can setup a payment plan over a short period to get your money back, but you have no right to detain them away from their families. It is sadistic and barbaric.
Do you actually trust nigerians to honor thier payments?

If you have run a clinic or hospital before. You will understand why it is deposit before treatment.

If not, sign an undertaking, drop your phone or carkey as collateral.

UBTH should learn from this. They should start collecting court order for any defaulter of hospital bills
Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by InvertedHammer: 3:39am On Nov 01, 2020
/
The only bad thing here is thst UBTH is a government hospital. They should have written off the bill a long time ago. There is a big difference between unwilingness to pay (most Nigerians fall into this category) vs inability to pay.

If it were a private clinic, I would advise patients not to go if they cannot afford to pay. Private clinics/hospitals are not charity organizations.

/
Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by DrFunmisticGlow: 4:00am On Nov 01, 2020
InvertedHammer:
/
The only bad thing here is thst UBTH is a government hospital. They should have written off the bill a long time ago. There is a big difference between unwilingness to pay (most Nigerians fall into this category) vs inability to pay.

If it were a private clinic, I would advise patients not to go if they cannot afford to pay. Private clinics/hospitals are not charity organizations.

/
the government hardly fund these hospitals
Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by toygod2: 5:00am On Nov 01, 2020
They (UBTH) deserves similar thing to be done to them.

My mother was there for a treatment around 2016, and somehow, they got paid excess, as Doctors in charge of her treatment said we should return some already bought drugs and injection from the hospital chemist/store.

They promised that the account would be reconciled and balance given us.

Believe you Me, till today, we have not gotten any call from them. The last day when I went to their account office because of it, I was asked by the staff,

IF I GOT ANY CALL TO COME? lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by olakan22: 5:48am On Nov 01, 2020
The fight isn't against doctors or the hospital management.
The management has to pay bills. Without paying those bills go under.

No one wants to be inhumane, but that's what can be done on climes like ours unfortunately.

This is why a National Health Scheme is important. So many people can't afford to pay from their pocket.

Sometimes corpse are detained too.

The fact that the hospital even took care of her up to 500k is commendable. No private facility will be so patient.

2 Likes

Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by Godmademan(m): 6:14am On Nov 01, 2020
The initial C/S and bed space would not have cost her up to #100k. If the family had paid even 50-60% of the bills they would have let her go. Time and time again patients run away from the hospital after treatment to evade the bills. Reason why the wards are almost always locked up like prison cells. Hospitals have bills to pay...Drugs, salaries, water, electricity, food, logistics and even remit to FG. If there is revenue shortfall the public hospitals, which happen to be the last resort for the common man, will go extinct.

1 Like

Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by bjtinz: 6:36am On Nov 01, 2020
emmyN:
I'm not sure that I understand the position of the law concerning debt recovery. First I learned that the Police cannot be used as a debt recovery agent, now this. What's the legally approved way to recover one's debt? I would appreciate if someone educate me here.

His point is that only a court of proper jurisdiction can order such detention.

I'm no lawyer, but I guess the same also applies to other forms of debt recovery.
Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by bjtinz: 6:44am On Nov 01, 2020
frosbel2:

Cut that bull. This is Naija not the US (where I assume you are based)
Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by Dollypie20(f): 6:49am On Nov 01, 2020
That is so unfair. She wasn't even given the privilege to mourn her dead child and to be properly taken care of by families for her wound to heal
Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by criuze(m): 8:08am On Nov 01, 2020
slawormiir:
damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright
Hahaha
Wahalar nor too much

And the pussy ass niggarr who impregnated her is no where to be found

I don't know how broke people manage to get an erection
To make it worse they will go ahead an insert their penis inside a juicy pussy without condom and even fail to withdraw(coitus interruptus) when they get to peak of excitement
People get mind o.....if me broke my penis nor dey green stand

prick no go school

no blame the dude
Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by criuze(m): 8:11am On Nov 01, 2020
Bkayyy:
See eternal wickedness.
This woman must have been created by the God of hate himself to be the human form of wickedness in the face of Earth.
How can you be as broke as not to be able to pay for delivery fee and you move about having unprotected sex with the intention of bringing innocent children in this world to suffer for your wickedness

what do you expect when there's no workable health insurance scheme for the poor masses.

please don't blame her for trying to have a child no one knows tommorow
Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by macskillzy(m): 8:17am On Nov 01, 2020
Madas1986:
this can only happen in the Southern part of Nigeria

It happens everywhere
Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by Bukasint(f): 10:08am On Nov 01, 2020
frosbel2:

You should differentiate between Emergency resuscitation and a person who works into hospital sick. We can manage accident victims brought in my FRC not a foolish woman who was 9 months pregnant and decides to stroll into hospital for Dr's to deliver her freely. It doesn't work that way. I have seen women die and their babies due to lack of them providing necessary equipment to threat them. Nigerian public hospitals don't has those materials readily available. If you come to my centre you will provide 80% of everything or you die. Nobody cares oooooooo.

My centre even if you are healthy and you are owing the hospital you will be discharged to the hospital gate where security eyes will be on you and you will be under the sun,rain and cold at night. Because if you go by your policy they will run away. HOSPITAL NO BE CHARITY OR BUSINESS OPEN TO LOSSES...
Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by victons(m): 10:12am On Nov 01, 2020
But what is the legitimate means for a doctor to recover his funds from a patient who's unwilling to pay.
Re: UBTH Releases Woman Detained For 6 Months Over Unpaid Hospital Bills (Photos) by victons(m): 10:15am On Nov 01, 2020
bjtinz:

His point is that only a court of proper jurisdiction can order such detention.

I'm no lawyer, but I guess the same also applies to other forms of debt recovery.
Will you include the Court's fee in the debt?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kano Doctor Transfuses Woman With HIV Infected Blood / Some Diseases You Can Detect Yourself Through Smell / How Student Doctor Caused Woman's Death During Childbirth In Edo (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.