Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,088 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:29 PM

Why Should Kids Learn What They Are Taught? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Should Kids Learn What They Are Taught? (239 Views)

LAUGH & LEARN: What Does OAP Stand For ? / What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? / Scientist Deliberately Crashed This Aeroplane To Learn What Happens During Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Should Kids Learn What They Are Taught? by bkool7(m): 5:31pm On Oct 31, 2020
Why should kids learn what we teach them?

I will be sharing with you three important qualities a knowledge must possess for it to be worthy of being learnt.
Psychologists often define learning as a relatively permanent change in behaviour as a result of experience. Mind you, these experiences can either be negative or positive. So if you ever wonder where kids pick up nasty slang and antics, there you have it- it is all learning.
I am going to focus on learning in general. However, it is the duty of parents and educational instructors to make sure kids are put in circumstances where they only learn positive things. So help us God.
Now, let's get cracking!
For any knowledge to be worthy of being learned, it must process one or two of these terms. Remember, the focus of the learning process is not the teacher but the learner.

SIGNIFICANCE: I call this usefulness. The knowledge is useful if it is selected and organized in ways that help in solving the child's present and future challenges. In plain English: whatever knowledge you want to impact in a learner the learner must be able to put it to use in his/her daily activities. For instance, you're teaching Division. Make sure you give the learner practical division task for them to reconcile what they learnt in the class with real life activities . If a skill learnt is not practised we all know what can happen.
My advice to parents, send kids in errands on your streets. Make sure you give them money they will need to collect balance. Let's see how that works out. It's all learning

INTEREST: The interest of the learner should be considered in selecting knowledge because students learn best if the subject matter is meaningful to them and it can only become meaningful if they are interested in it. So it is up to the facilitator to structure the process in such a manner that it interest the learner. If a learner has intrinsic interest, he/she won't even want the learning process to end. There are many ways to make a lesson interesting. You can tell a short story, ask funny and interesting questions, have the learners role play or use rhymes and music (I once used rhymes to teach spellings to Grade 1 pupils). The kids know they are having fun but you know they are also learning. How about that?

RELIABILITY: Every knowledge worthy of being learnt must be reliable. The learner must be confident that what he/she has learnt can be relied upon now and later. A particular knowledge acquired must be relied upon to serve you else where. If you have learnt that it snows in the United Kingdom in December. If you get there in December and it did not snow at all. Such knowledge can not be relied upon. But thank God it usually snows
in United Kingdom in December. Now, this is where it gets murky in the classroom. Some facilitators compelled their learners to follow certain methods. To them, its either that method or nothing. Here is my view on this, if we are going to the same destination the primary purpose is getting there. Most examinations have options because they know people reason and act differently. As such, the primary aim is for you all to arrive at the correct answer which you will find among the options. Some learner work smartly. Nowadays, it's all about working smartly. What's needed most these days are people who can act fast and smart under pressure. So if a smart kid knows a smarter and faster way of arriving at an answer, if the method is logically explainable he/she should be encouraged to do so for him/her not to doubt the reliability if his knowledge. By doing so, we may even learn one or two things from learners. Or what do you think?

Please, feel free to add yours.
Re: Why Should Kids Learn What They Are Taught? by Minjim: 6:05pm On Oct 31, 2020
Wow!
Thanks a lot. I'm a teacher. I have picked two tips here

(1) (Reply)

Payment Platform Crisis: FG May Drop IPPIS For ASUU, Others As Opposition Grows / Our Members Are Ready To Work - ASUU / Seun And Lalasticala Are Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.