Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,157 members, 7,825,615 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government (16974 Views)

FG Has No More Job Vacancies, Buhari Tells Youths / #ENDSARS: It’s Your Right To Protest, Buhari Tells Youths / Governor Umar Ganduje To End Street Begging In Kano, Forms A Committee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by fergie001: 8:57pm On Nov 01, 2020
PRESIDENT BUHARI TO NIGERIAN YOUTHS: END STREET PROTESTS, DIALOGUE WITH GOVERNMENT ON POLICE REFORMS

President Muhammadu Buhari Sunday in Abuja appealed to Nigerian youths to end street protests and participate in meaningful discussions with government aimed at comprehensive reforms to end all forms of police brutality against Nigerians.

The President spoke in his message to the maiden National Youth Day celebration, observed on November 1, coinciding with the African Youth Day celebration.

Against the backdrop of the recent protests against police brutality in the country, leading to the disbandment of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), President Buhari, who was represented by the FCT Minister, Muhammad Bello, told the gathering that the pleas of Nigerian youths have been heard by his administration.

He added that the Federal Government ‘‘now wants to hear concrete and practical ideas,’’ from the youths, while acknowledging their constitutional right to peaceful protests.

''You must realize that protests cannot last indefinitely. My government will not lift a hand to stop or suppress you.

''However, the fact of the matter is that other forces and actors will seek to take over your protests that they may redirect them in ways you did not intend and perhaps do not agree with.

''Every successful protest movement the world over has understood that there comes a time when activity must move from the street to the negotiation table. That time for you has come. Do not be afraid of this reality. You should welcome it.

''It is important that we all strive to use this moment constructively. Too many people have already sacrificed too dearly. It is our duty to use this fateful situation to move ourselves to a more just and caring society.

''As youth, you have a nation and a future to build. My government will always be your faithful partner in this essential and patriotic endeavour,'' he said.

President Buhari also used the occasion to express his strong opposition to the wrongful use and imposition of violent force against any innocent, law-abiding persons, particularly young people.

''No one who is obeying the law, whether they are in line waiting for a taxi or in a peaceful protest line, should be harassed or brutalized by law enforcement agencies.

''It is because of my abiding belief in the people’s constitutional rights that we moved with dispatch to abolish SARS and to consider other reforms that will enhance the quality of law enforcement and improve the relationship between the police and public which is a pre-requisite in a just society.

''To allow protests is not a sign of weakness. It is a sign of strength and belief in democracy, and faith in the innate goodness of our people.

''This also shows confidence in the ability of our government to work with the people toward a reasonable and practical resolution to any challenge,'' he said.

Describing Nigerian youths as agents for social change, economic growth and sustainable development, President Buhari said his administration has established no fewer than 25 initiatives aimed at empowering youths across the country.

He noted that these noble initiatives, ongoing in the last five years, were aimed at placing Nigerian youths on the path of career development, entrepreneurship, skills development and direct employment.

''Today we will unveil the official logo of the N75 billion Nigeria Youth Investment Fund for the period of 2020 – 2023.

''This novel fund is dedicated to investing in the innovative ideas, skills and talents of Nigerian Youths and to provide our youths with a special window to access much needed financing, business management skills and other inputs critical for sustainable enterprise,'' he said.

The President announced that over one million applications have already been received since the Youth Investment Fund Portal went live on 12th of October 2020.

He listed other youth-based initiatives, consistent with his administration’s policy of positioning youths for strategic leadership in different fields of endeavour, as follows:

''The birth of the Nigerian Youth Policy in 2019, the Nigeria Youth Investment Fund in July 2020, Young Farmers Initiative, Digital Skills, Entrepreneurship, Employability and Leadership/Mentoring (DEEL) programme, which recently received an approval of N4 billion naira for implementation, and the Not Too Young to Run Act.''

Other initiatives, according to the President, include the Presidential Youth Empowerment Scheme (P-YES) , the N-Power, SI and Disaster Management, the Youth Entrepreneurship Support (YES) Programme , Graduate Internship Scheme (GIS) and the Youth Enterprise with Innovation In Nigeria (YouWIN).

The President also added the $20 million Technology Fund for Young Innovators as some of the major initiatives empowering youths across the country.

Restating his call for national unity, President Buhari said Nigerian youths are better positioned to drive the indivisibility of Nigeria and collectively overcome whatever challenges bedevilling the nation.

''On this special occasion, we affirm our faith and confidence in the indivisible entity called Nigeria and in its future.

''We face many challenges but, in you, this nation has the collective ability and drive to overcome that which confronts us,’’ he said.

At the event with the theme: ''Invest in the Youth, Secure Our Future'', the winners of the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development organised 60-day App Challenge and Youth Innovators were recognised and received cash rewards.

Garba Shehu
Senior Special Assistant to the President
(Media & Publicity)
November 1, 2020

SOURCE

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by HeRulesMen: 9:00pm On Nov 01, 2020
OK but we move.

8 Likes

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by MickzyDonald: 9:00pm On Nov 01, 2020
I bet you.....He is really insane,the man is just functioning like a statue,never seen his benefit

82 Likes 4 Shares

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by estirocky(f): 9:04pm On Nov 01, 2020
No sir. We are not leaving streets.

17 Likes

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by flyingpig: 9:05pm On Nov 01, 2020
Buhari didn't even know when all these were typed in his name

143 Likes 10 Shares

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by WandaMaximoff: 9:06pm On Nov 01, 2020
I saw the video of Sanwoolu telling Bubu the demands of the End SARS protesters, the dude just laugh.

Na that kind person you wan dialogue with?

117 Likes 6 Shares

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by Goddys(m): 9:10pm On Nov 01, 2020
Let him come and speak to us directly in his mother tongue called fulfude. I can't take anything coming from Presidency serious again.

Why did US Mission met Osinbajo at the heat of Lekki Massacre instead of Buhari.

Why are we shown Buhari pre recorded speech all the time.

Shame to Federal Government for this cover up

90 Likes 7 Shares

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by Rugaria: 9:11pm On Nov 01, 2020
Jonathan used to conduct monthly press chat, where he takes questions from different media representatives in a live television broadcast... This man hasn't done that in years. No interviews, no live exchanges, nothing! Just Garba shehu and femi Adeshina in front of our faces for over 4 years now as if they are the president and the vice president! Let's forget Kanu and his scary postulations for a minute.. Irrespective of which party you belong to, This should worry at this stage. Especially after he disappeared totally during the protests. Is he really fit to govern? Is he really in control of his faculties? Has his sickness become so ravaging that his handlers are now taking advantage of his infirmities to pursue their own clandestine objectives, while fronting his name as the C-in-C?

104 Likes 11 Shares

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by Goddys(m): 9:11pm On Nov 01, 2020
WandaMaximoff:
I saw the video of Sanwoolu telling Bubu the demands of the End SARS protesters, the dude just laugh.

Na that kind person you wan dialogue with?

Muhammad Yusuf laughed..Stop being gullible if you don't know the real General Buhari. He would risk everything and be at the forefront in Lagos to address the People

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by privaldo: 11:06pm On Nov 01, 2020
The GCFR is a clown, our demands are very clear. We return to the streets this week.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by HisSexcellency(m): 6:56am On Nov 02, 2020
What are they negotiating again, thought the government has accepted the 5-point request made by the protesters.
As a show of commitment and seriousness on their part, let them implement these points first.

All these panels being set up all over the place by state governments are nothing but bidding time. The El Rufai committee's recommendations on restructuring is still gathering dust somewhere since 2018 without any plan to implement it.

2 Likes

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by IamPlato(m): 6:58am On Nov 02, 2020

From the start of the protest, I warned that the protest was not the way forward.

Anyway I will be releasing a book titled "the master plan for glory" in it will be the plan I made before your protest ruined it and then I will state and explain another plan the youths can use in winning the next election.

After that book, I will never talk about Nigeria's problem in my life again

6 Likes

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by mzBEAM(f): 6:58am On Nov 02, 2020
Where is Buhari?

3 Likes

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by Zico5(m): 6:59am On Nov 02, 2020
Buhari dey disguise in form of minister. It's a pity some nonentities are still supporting this vegetative man. How will I still support the failure of this magnitude. Nigeria is now free for all form of corruption because the man at the saddle is incompetent. Ordinary palliatives are hoarded and he could not even raise an eyebrow despite championing the fight against corruptions. We shall be free one day.

3 Likes

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by Gkay1(m): 6:59am On Nov 02, 2020
o boy, d deal don land.
Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by Karlman: 6:59am On Nov 02, 2020
Who is Buhari?

2 Likes

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by toxxnoni(m): 6:59am On Nov 02, 2020
Ok
Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by letristian: 6:59am On Nov 02, 2020
He should simply end bad governance...
We move!
Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by Nobody: 6:59am On Nov 02, 2020
Oh my President, oh my Bubu
Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by mjabdulk: 7:00am On Nov 02, 2020
That will be the best way to live peacefully.
Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by yanabasee(m): 7:00am On Nov 02, 2020
Is he just getting briefed?

BabaGoSlow
Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by slawormiir: 7:00am On Nov 02, 2020
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright

1 Like 1 Share

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by revived: 7:01am On Nov 02, 2020
No voice address?

1 Like

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by ATEAMS: 7:01am On Nov 02, 2020
People who need help sometimes look a lot like people who don’t need help.

2 Likes

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by bencr7: 7:01am On Nov 02, 2020
Dialogue since 1999 cry undecided sad angry

1 Like

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by Obito555(m): 7:01am On Nov 02, 2020
All Nigerians are gullible, when u have realised that man call Buhari is being manipulated yet we never make a move to clear the air if really is the really one or not if after the remaining 3 years u never get to the root of this matter then....let me think about a befitting name
Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by Gloriagee(f): 7:01am On Nov 02, 2020
Wrong and misleading title. The President's representative made the entreaties to the Youth no be una President abeg.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari Tells Youths To End Street Protests, Dialogue With Government by armadeo(m): 7:02am On Nov 02, 2020
Lol.

Interesting speech. I dont know what to make of it.

Trust is missing ....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sunday Igboho: Some Yoruba Politicians Are Pressuring Me To Beg The Presidency / Peter Obi Holds Town Hall Meeting With Ondo State Students (Pictures) / Kogi 2023 Governorship Election Live Monitoring, Updates, and Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.