Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,532 members, 7,954,995 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:57 PM

Joint Account And Trust Issues - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Joint Account And Trust Issues (585 Views)

Can Trust Issues Unresolved For 10years Managable? / 7 Signs You Might Have Trust Issues & What To Do About It, From Therapists / Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Joint Account And Trust Issues by gare2510(m): 9:54am On Nov 02, 2020
Must one have a joint account with spouse; is it a proof of trust in marriage?

Is trust automatic or is it built with time?
Re: Joint Account And Trust Issues by Dtruthspeaker: 12:22pm On Nov 02, 2020
gare2510:

"He that is trusted with a little can be trusted with much"

1 Like

Re: Joint Account And Trust Issues by SweetOnugbo: 4:34pm On Nov 02, 2020
You can set up a joint account where each partner contribute a certain amount monthly, while still maintaining your individual accounts.

For me this is the best, to avoid stories that touch.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joint Account And Trust Issues by frozen70(f): 5:46pm On Nov 03, 2020
gare2510:

I don't normally support a joint account because of individuals interest with money and how it's being handled

But if you have children, open a joint account on one of them and on behalf of them then you can be contributing as parents to the account base on your financial strength

Only couples who have true love and transparency for themselves can enjoy having joint accounts

3 Likes

Re: Joint Account And Trust Issues by ImaIma1(f): 3:59pm On Nov 04, 2020
SweetOnugbo:
You can set up a joint account where each partner contribute a certain amount monthly, while still maintaining your individual accounts.

For me this is the best, to avoid stories that touch.

To me, this is preferred. Even in a marriage seminar I attended recently, the pastor was asked this question about joint accounts. He said he preferred individual accounts and a joint account they contribute into for peace.

2 Likes

Re: Joint Account And Trust Issues by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 04, 2020
gare2510:

Yeah.......but na to also have a secret account too just incase grin you never know

1 Like

Re: Joint Account And Trust Issues by bukatyne(f): 6:22pm On Nov 04, 2020
gare2510:

Must one have a joint account? No
Is it a proof of trust? Yes
Is the trust automatic or built with time? Built with time.

You would not start a relationship today and operate JA today.

Over time, you have confirmed the person is
1. Trustworthy
2. Transparent
3. Has same financial goals/Outlook
4. Is content
5. Has integrity

There are also types of JA
1. An actual JA is opened with the two as signatories (either A/B or A & B)
2. All income is sent to one account and disbursed from there. Both parties have access to the ATM of the account.

2 works better if the monies is sent to the wife's account because she runs the home.

The person holding the money is automatically the finance minister. Draws the budget, knows what the family can afford, do the financial engineering and planning to ensure the family is financially sound. The finance minister also shares the monthly budget with the other party and they review together.

There would be personal allowances and recurring expenditures factored in.

1 Like

Re: Joint Account And Trust Issues by pocohantas(f): 6:31pm On Nov 04, 2020
Why are Nigerian couples always hiding money from themselves? E tire me o.

I don’t know if it is a proof of trust, but I will be very concerned if I am worried over this. It shoes something is wrong.

1 Like

Re: Joint Account And Trust Issues by LewsTherin: 5:25am On Nov 05, 2020
Should you maintain a joint account with your spouse?
Depends.

Does having a joint account show trust?
Depends.
At the very least it shows there is a level of FINANCIAL trust between the couple.

Would I advice couples to maintain a joint account?
Oh yes, I would. It encourages the couple to talk about their finances, it encourages them to discuss and plan for their future. It's a bonding opportunity.

But then again, it can exacerbate the frictions between the couple and tear them apart. So there's that.

And yes, I maintain a joint account with my Lady. It's a saving account for capital projects. We're currently working towards buying a house. But it's also available for emergencies.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Yes, I Got My Husband Drunk And Raped Him - Sex Starved Wife / Nigerian Man In London Gets Evicted From His Home As Ordered By His Wife (Video) / Why Do People Dislike Bbnaija So Much?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.