Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,700 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

Shekarau : I'm Ready To Step Down For Northern Consensus Candidate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shekarau : I'm Ready To Step Down For Northern Consensus Candidate (866 Views)

Arewa Group Seeks Another Consensus Candidate / Atiku "Selected" As Northern Consensus Candidate / Atiku Emerges As Nothern Consensus Candidate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shekarau : I'm Ready To Step Down For Northern Consensus Candidate by timbuktwo: 12:24am On Mar 13, 2011
It looks like Buhari is getting some more of those northern votes:

Presidential Candidate of the All Nigerian Peoples Party (ANPP), Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau, has expressed his readiness to step down for another Northern Candidate so long as such consensus is from his party.

Shekarau, who was speaking at a debate for Northern Presidential candidates in Kaduna Friday, told newsmen after delivering his manifesto, that he has no problem dropping his ambition to contest, stressing that such decision must be a resolution of his party.

“I am a faithful and loyal member of my party”, he said, “I did not become presidential candidate by my sole design. It was from the outcome of a transparent process initiated and executed by my party,” he said.

“If the same party decides that it is better we team up with another northern candidate under another party, and they ask that I step down, as loyal and law abiding member of the party, I have no choice but to comply”. But as a candidate, I cannot on my own decide to step down like that,” he said.

Shekarau and three other northerners namely, Muhammadu Buhari of CPC, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu of ACN and Mr. John Dara of NTP are running the Presidential race.

Speaking at the forum, organised by Arewa Citizens Action for Change, Shekarau said this eight year governorship tenure in Kano State, has left enough evidence to show he would make a good president adding that his area of priority, if he wins the presidency would be focused on Human Development and Social Justice.

Shekarau who defended the decision of his administration to abolition of the sales of liquor in Kano state argued that alcohol is the cause of all crimes anywhere.

“Even in Benue State, where 100% members of the state’s parliament is Christian, it has passed a law abolishing the sales of ogogoro, - illicit gin brewed from palm-wine – and what is the difference of ogogoro from lager beer?” he queries.

He also applauded Islamic Banking, maintaining those who are opposed to the banking system based were ignorant.

“If we were operating Islamic Banking system in Nigeria”, he said, “all the crash we saw in our stock exchange and financial sectors would not have taken place”, he said.

“It very un-Islamic for anyone to engage profiteer. As far as Islam is concern, such a one is regarded worse than he who sleeps with his mother”, he said adding that would promote Islamic banking, if elected president.
Re: Shekarau : I'm Ready To Step Down For Northern Consensus Candidate by ekubear1: 4:05am On Mar 13, 2011

“It very un-Islamic for anyone to engage profiteer.  As far as Islam is concern, such a one is regarded worse than he who sleeps with his mother”, he said adding that   would promote Islamic banking, if elected president.
What does this even mean? What is "profiteering", at least as defined by Islam? undecided
Re: Shekarau : I'm Ready To Step Down For Northern Consensus Candidate by vigasimple(m): 5:23am On Mar 13, 2011
The truth about Nigerian politics is that the NORTH consider themselves 'BORN TO RULE', and ity has nothing to do with either the North interest or nigerian interest , except 'the cabals'

The whole grand design from IBB, Atiku, Gusau, saraki, and even Bhuari and Ribadu, now Shekaru is about North and not what they will offer all Nigerians.

Remember they 'loaned' the south the Presidency when they allowed OBJ to be President, and if not for the obvious international outcry they want to passover GEJ because of the FRAUD called ZONING by the North.

I hope the South will wake up and smell the gas of deceits and lies called 'NORTHERN CONSENSUS CANDIDATES'
Re: Shekarau : I'm Ready To Step Down For Northern Consensus Candidate by henry101(m): 5:42am On Mar 13, 2011
vigasimple:

The truth about Nigerian politics is that the NORTH consider themselves 'BORN TO RULE', and ity has nothing to do with either the North interest or nigerian interest , except 'the cabals'

The whole grand design from IBB, Atiku, Gusau, saraki, and even Bhuari and Ribadu, now Shekaru is about North and not what they will offer all Nigerians.

Remember they 'loaned' the south the Presidency when they allowed OBJ to be President, and if not for the obvious international outcry they want to passover GEJ because of the FRAUD called ZONING by the North.

I hope the South will wake up and smell the gas of deceits and lies called 'NORTHERN CONSENSUS CANDIDATES'

Thumbs up,
But the consensus nonsense needs to trashed.
Re: Shekarau : I'm Ready To Step Down For Northern Consensus Candidate by blacksta(m): 6:39am On Mar 13, 2011
The end of GEj is very near - what need now is for anc to join up with cpc - rather than spilt votes - rivalry can resume when PDp The bane of the Nigerian problems has been eradicated.

I laugh in victory - mumu GEJ/PDP will surely sh it their pants
Re: Shekarau : I'm Ready To Step Down For Northern Consensus Candidate by Nobody: 6:42am On Mar 13, 2011
Tribal nonsense from a foolish politician.

The only rational reason anybody should align or step down for anyone is shared vision of achieving the fool potential that the nation is endowed with, ridding the nation of its paralysing corruption & inefficiencies.

Shekarau utterance like Atiku/IBB/Ciroma/Gusau/Saraki's reek of mediocrity. Northern buffons shege! (apology to the good people of the north whose value & vision for the nation are not colored with untoward regional/religious sentiment)

Kudos & respect to the Nigerians esp. non- northerners who despite this poor display of this retrogressive Nigerian mindset, courageously stand up to root for a worthy candidate, northern or not

Kick polio out of Nigeria, kick PDP out of Nigeria (the real victims of the scourge called PDP are the Nigerian poors, north, south, east & west cos when the dust settles the virus will reconcile & share the loots amongst themselves, the priviledge few (hausa/ful, ibo, yoruba, ijaw, christian, muslim, north & south etc. but rich only)
Remember entry is strictly by invitation (poor folks are not invited. Abi who be your papa sef for dis contri?)
Re: Shekarau : I'm Ready To Step Down For Northern Consensus Candidate by nduchucks: 2:09pm On Mar 13, 2011
vigasimple:

Its a bit too late for people like you, who should know better, to cry foul and attempt to rescue PDP from their impending loss by calling a potentially winning political strategy, the act of some cabal to maintain the said cabal's interest alone.

PDP and GEJ offer more of the same. Your phobia of the NORTH is beclouding your reasoning and rendering you unable to realize that democracy is indeed taking hold in Nigeria albeit in baby steps. The people will determine who becomes the next president and thank goodness, elitists such as yourself make up a very minute fraction of the electorate. People like you, I'm sorry to say, are in denial - you probably think that the mammoth crowd which has been trooping out to hear Buhari speak are paid goons of the "CABAL".

Like one of the great Nigerian leaders used to say, Good morning! olodo. (1)SAI BUHARI (2) SAI RIBADU

(1) (Reply)

How Did Ribadu Perform During The Presidential Debate? / ALL Polls Put Gej Ahead In Election Race / Nnamani Crashes, As Chime, Saraki Hold Sway In Enugu, Kwara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.