Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,577 members, 7,958,782 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 12:16 AM

FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts (772 Views)

FG Clamps Down On #EndSARS Promoters, Freezes Accounts - Punch / Court Freezes Accounts Linked To Ex-governor, Ambode, Over N9.9bn Alleged Fraud / FG Clamps Down On Ray Power’s ‘Political Platform’; Imposes Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by Officialhorlah(m): 7:32am On Nov 04, 2020
• CBN places ‘post no debit ’ restriction on pharmacist ’s account

• Lawyer accuses Nigeria Immigration Service of stopping her trip abroad

• Federal Government’ s panel gets 160 petitions , begins sitting today

Eniola Akinkuotu and Adelani Adepegba

There were strong indications on Tuesday that the Federal Government had begun a clampdown on promoters of # EndSARS protests by freezing their bank accounts.
Some # EndSARS promoters, who spoke separately to The PUNCH, said their banks informed them that the Central Bank of Nigeria had directed that their accounts should be frozen.
Last months , youths calling for the disbanding of the Special Anti- Robbery Squad of the Nigeria Police protested for two weeks in major cities of the country.
On Tuesday, some promoters of the protests said their accounts had been frozen for the past two weeks.
The CBN, according to multiple complaints received by The PUNCH, reportedly instructed banks to place a ‘ Post No Debit’ restriction on the accounts .
The banks, it was learnt , were able to implement the directive by tracking the ‘narration ’ of transactions.
Bank transactions that included the narration # EndSARS or End SARS were immediately flagged while such accounts receiving funds were frozen.
Speaking to The PUNCH, a pharmacist , Bassey Israel, who was in charge of the # EndSARS medical team in Port Harcourt , said his account with Access Bank marked 003397 XXXX had remained frozen since October 15 .

According to him, when he learnt of the development, he went to the bank to find out the reason for it. Israel said he was informed by a bank officer that the directive came from the apex bank.
He said, “ I am in charge of End SARS medical team in Port Harcourt and we had people donating for medical supplies, food , water, ambulance services and these donations were made directly into my account and of course these donations had End SARS descriptions so I think that was how they were able to flag my account. I noticed that on October 15, I was trying to make a debit transaction on my account and noticed that there was a restriction.
“ So , I called the bank and I was told that there was indeed a restriction but I should go to any branch near me and when I did so , the branch manager sent a mail to the branch where I opened the account . The response to the mail was that there was a directive from the CBN to restrict the account .
“ The lady was surprised and even asked me if I had any issue with the CBN and I responded that if I had any issue with the CBN, I wouldn’t be in the bank in the first place, I would be on the run. I asked what could be done and she gave me no answer . She had to show me the mail on her computer which I read . It was directly from the CBN and it read, ‘Place this account on PND .”
When asked if others had similar problems , Israel said, “ I know many persons that have this same challenge . ”
Israel said the money in the frozen account was a substantial sum.
Another # EndSARS protester told one of our correspondents that she had not been able to access her account and had been informed that it was frozen.
She , however , wished to remain anonymous for fear of being victimised by the government .
One of the promoters of the # EndSARS movement , Feyikemi Abudu, also confirmed in a tweet that the accounts of several persons involved in the protests had been frozen.
The acting Spokesman for the CBN , Abdulmumin Isa, who was first contacted last week on the telephone , asked the correspondent to give him some time .
However, after one week of waiting, Isa had yet to provide any information on the matter.
The Spokesman for Access Bank, Abdul Imoyo , said he could not make comments on individual accounts of customers for confidentiality reasons.
Meanwhile , the Nigeria Immigration Service on Monday prevented a promoter of the # EndSARS movement , Modupe Odele , from travelling .

Although the NIS officers did not disclose the reason for their action , it is believed that the action was taken because of her alleged role in the # EndSARS protests.

Odele , had through her Twitter handle , @Mochievous , mobilised her 219 , 000 followers during the protests.
She had also ensured that free legal aid was given to persons who were unjustly arrested during the demonstrations.
Confirming the development in a newsletter sent out on Monday, the lawyer said she was on her way to the Maldives to celebrate her birthday when she was accosted by immigration officers .
She wrote , “ For my birthday , I had planned a trip to the Maldives. It was really for a break as the events of the last three weeks have exhausted my mind and body in a way I have never been exhausted in my life .
“ I went to the airport, passed through immigration , and while I was putting my bags through the body and baggage scanner, the immigration officer who had previously cleared me, called me back . He told me he had orders from above to detain me.
“Okay, at this point I’ m like excuse me , my flight is in an hour . On what grounds are you detaining me ?” He didn ’t respond. Instead , he goes to his computer where he typed in my name, and something that looked like a ‘ wanted poster ’ popped up on the portal .
“ He blocked my view so I couldn ’t see most of it but I saw some of it. And it read something like – ‘This person is under investigation by XYZ Intelligence Agency . If seen , they should be apprehended on sight .’”
Odele said she was detained while her passport was seized by the officers and she was made to miss her flight.
The Spokesman for the NIS , Sunday James , said he did not have any information on the matter but promised to find out.
There were reports that the Federal Government had begun going after notable persons in the # EndSARS protests and had placed some of them on a ‘no fly list.’
However, the Federal Ministry of Interior denied the allegation , saying it did not generate any ‘ no fly list. ”

Buhari displaying traits of a dictator – # EndSARS protesters

Reacting to the reported freezing of bank accounts belonging to supporters of the campaign , the # EndSARS protesters said the President , Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd .) , was simply displaying the traits of a dictator.
A member of the group , Dayo Ariyo- Atoye , in an interview with
The PUNCH, said it was unfortunate that Buhari’ s regime would take extrajudicial measures to curtail the # EndSARS campaign .
He stated , “ What we have seen is worrisome and totally condemnable and unfortunate. It is not impossible that this government can take an illegal measure to curtail the # EndSARS campaign , especially now that the northern irredentists are calling for a crackdown on social media and free speech.
“ So , it is not unexpected that this government can do it . As a military head of state, General Buhari did it. As a civilian , he is also showing the same traits of military dictatorship. ”
On what the # EndSARS movement would do , Ariyo -Atoye said his group would request foreign governments to repatriate the families of all government officials living abroad.
“ If the government has compiled names of protesters to stop them from leaving the country in violation of their rights , we may compile the names of their family members in foreign countries and seek visa ban for the leaders . We would write to the foreign governments to repatriate their family members living abroad ,” he stated .

https://punchng.com/fg-clamps-down-on-endsars-promoters-freezes-accounts/
Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by saucespecies: 7:36am On Nov 04, 2020
So we can't protest in peace anymore?
What a shame.
Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by slimfit1(m): 7:39am On Nov 04, 2020
Don't worry about it they will make you a star, if they think that they will turn you into a beggar God will make you a star that you are more blessings are coming this is just a start. I hope banks fight against such a thing happening otherwise they will be the loser not CBN. Northern people very smart when its thinking of devilish act useless when it comes to positive actions.

2 Likes

Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by naija4life247: 7:44am On Nov 04, 2020
Good. We do not expect the government to act responsibly, so we are not surprised. However, when we come out for the second time, it will be fight to finish. Darkness will never suppress light.

2 Likes

Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by Freestainworld(m): 7:44am On Nov 04, 2020
Nigeria is a very backward country, criminals are treated like brothers while the innocent are killed, silenced and treated with impunity.
Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by taurusmena1(m): 7:45am On Nov 04, 2020
I'm not surprised one bit...There could be an excuse voting him the 1st tenure but not the 2nd...

1 Like

Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by DenreleDave(m): 7:48am On Nov 04, 2020
Noooo..

O wrong naww
Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by BigSarah(f): 8:02am On Nov 04, 2020
Bummer
Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by obami007(m): 8:09am On Nov 04, 2020
For how long
Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by Okoroawusa: 8:09am On Nov 04, 2020
I love this... Account for the money. Some people did a lot of catching out during the protests. They didn't protest. They came to the protests grounds maybe once or twice but they made so much money like the pharmacist in the report above. That's one of the main reasons Segalink pulled out. #ENDSARS became a windfall for some people while the majority of youths were on the protests grounds getting teargassed and shot.

1 Like

Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by Unik3030: 8:14am On Nov 04, 2020
Okoroawusa:
I love this... Account for the money. Some people did a lot of catching out during the protests. They didn't protest. They came to the protests grounds maybe once or twice but they made so much money like the pharmacist in the report above. That's one of the main reasons Segalink pulled out. #ENDSARS became a windfall for some people while the majority of youths were on the protests grounds getting teargassed and shot.
don't mind them,it was obvious the thing has sinister motive but I just pity those who think they were fighting for a right course.

many of those called celebrities who shared food n donated things got those money from opposition politician to do that shit.

the moment they changed it from endsars to endbuhari n revolutionnow I knew they have reneged n they will have issues

1 Like

Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by Lordjiggs09(m): 8:14am On Nov 04, 2020
I.
Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by guy222: 8:18am On Nov 04, 2020
You were in charge of #endsars medical team and donations was sent to your personal account, the question begging for an answer is that (1) who are those people that sent the donation? (2) why was the donation sent to your personal account. (3) what were you expected to do with the donations? Until you answer the above question i put it to you that you are nothing but a criminal. When you tell people that the #endsars protest was politically motivated or sponsor they would keep arguing. They should not only freeze their account but get them arrested.

1 Like

Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by Moferere: 8:23am On Nov 04, 2020
We are not ready yet
Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by byinks(f): 8:25am On Nov 04, 2020
Next time use a crypto wallet for donations
Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by Gandollaar(f): 8:26am On Nov 04, 2020
DenreleDave:
Noooo..

O wrong naww
But why are you against it? You and your fellow ZBs said they were Igbos and should be crucified for burning down Lagos.

Those advising buhari are having their ways because the man is brain dead.

This will not augur well...
Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by gtrader: 8:31am On Nov 04, 2020
There is no much difference between this regime and Army regime, the difference is just SOCIAL MEDIA. If not, a lot would have happened.
Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by Gandollaar(f): 8:32am On Nov 04, 2020
guy222:
You were in charge of #endsars medical team and donations was sent to your personal account, the question begging for an answer is that (1) who are those people that sent the donation? (2) why was the donation sent to your personal account. (3) what were you expected to do with the donations? Until you answer the above question i put it to you that you are nothing but a criminal. When you tell people that the #endsars protest was politically motivated or sponsor they would keep arguing. They should not only freeze their account but get them arrested.
Trash!

The endsars protest was organic. The transfer for endsars we're duely marked to avoid confusion. Are you smarter than the account owner and donors? Did any donor complain to you that their money was missing?

Criminal? What did he steal from you? The politricktians stealing from you are there and you asslick then.

Lastly, stop fishing for idiots!
Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by mobiyina66793: 9:44am On Nov 04, 2020
Good. We do not expect the government to act responsibly, so we are not surprised. However, when we come out for the second time, it will be fight to finish. Darkness will never suppress light.
Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by Kingnutts(m): 11:35am On Nov 04, 2020
See oppression ooh... Na small small, wen cup go full and overflow na d person weh pour wanted for cup go find rag las las.. I'm not ready for any Revolution ooh, let's be honest, most of these kids shouting Revolution don't even know what it is,.
Re: FG Clamps Down On #Endsars Promoters, Freezes Accounts by Liposure: 12:46pm On Nov 04, 2020
Do your worst. We will continue to fight for our rights

(1) (Reply)

Tomorrow 18th Ensars Protest / VIDEO: Heaven’s Ashamed Of You, Pastor To Those Wearing Face Mask To Church / Seriki Fulani In Igangan Is A Kidnapper That Must Be Arrested Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.