Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,319 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

US 2020. Meet Oye Owolewa And Family Elected As House Of Rep - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US 2020. Meet Oye Owolewa And Family Elected As House Of Rep (1522 Views)

Biography Of Oye Owolewa, US Congressman Elect / Oye Owolewa Elected Into US Congress, To Represent Washington D.C. / Edo Lawmaker Wore Shorts To His Swearing-In Ceremony As House Of Assembly Member (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US 2020. Meet Oye Owolewa And Family Elected As House Of Rep by peacekante: 11:27pm On Nov 04, 2020
Oye Owolewa, was elected as a shadow member of the House of Representatives from the District of Columbia.

He polled 164,026 votes to defeat incumbent Joyce Robinson-Paul, who scored 18,600 votes, and Sohaer Syed with 15,372 votes.

Mr Owolewa, who has roots in Kwara and Oyo states, holds a PhD in Pharmacy from the Northeastern University, Boston.

In 2018, he was elected commissioner of his neighbourhood in SouthEast DC.
As an advocate for DC statehood, he launched TaxFreeDC as a movement to combat DC’s taxation without representation.

According to his website, TaxFreeDC declares that until DC statehood is achieved, DC’s tax revenue shall no longer go to the federal government.

“Oye believes our money belongs here for DC priorities instead of going to a government that fails to recognise us,” it said.

He became the first Nigerian-American to occupy the seat.

As the results trickled on Wednesday morning, Mr Owolewa shared the news of his victory on his social media.

“Good morning. Looks like we did it! I want to thank everyone, from family and close friends to DC residents.

“Because of your contributions and sacrifices, I stand before you as America’s first Nigerian-American congressman.

“In this role, I’m going to fight for DC statehood and bring our values to the lawmaking process. While today is the day for some celebration, the hard work also follows.

“Again, thanks so much for everything. I wouldn’t be here without yall,” he said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HdhLxdtlws

Re: US 2020. Meet Oye Owolewa And Family Elected As House Of Rep by obami007(m): 12:05am On Nov 05, 2020
Congratulations
Re: US 2020. Meet Oye Owolewa And Family Elected As House Of Rep by thatsleepboy1: 1:50am On Nov 05, 2020
He has made us proud. I'm sure he's from kwara State. Pple like him are needed and will be appreciated over there than here. So Mr Oye, kindly behave like an american and not like a typical afonja moslem else till be recalled back.
Re: US 2020. Meet Oye Owolewa And Family Elected As House Of Rep by peacekante: 6:38am On Nov 05, 2020
thatsleepboy1:
He has made us proud. I'm sure he's from kwara State. Pple like him are needed and will be appreciated over there than here. So Mr Oye, kindly behave like an american and not like a typical afonja moslem else till be recalled back.

Can't you all promote unity among NIgerians ?
Re: US 2020. Meet Oye Owolewa And Family Elected As House Of Rep by onoms4luv(m): 6:45am On Nov 05, 2020
Confirm Africa, Blood, Colour and marriage.
Congrats on your new office

1 Like

Re: US 2020. Meet Oye Owolewa And Family Elected As House Of Rep by DubbyV: 6:57am On Nov 05, 2020
Glad to see Nigerians getting opportunities and recognitions at the bigger stage. Congrats to him

Anyways... Check my signature if you're in PH wink
Re: US 2020. Meet Oye Owolewa And Family Elected As House Of Rep by peacekante: 7:58am On Nov 05, 2020
DubbyV:
Glad to see Nigerians getting opportunities and recognitions at the bigger stage. Congrats to him

Exactly. Also good to see that is is no discrimination, no Tribalism. Merit was chosen. I hope we replicate it here in NIGERIA
Re: US 2020. Meet Oye Owolewa And Family Elected As House Of Rep by valinazzal: 8:34am On Nov 05, 2020
I love how some Nigerian are representing us abroad
Re: US 2020. Meet Oye Owolewa And Family Elected As House Of Rep by peacekante: 11:12am On Nov 06, 2020
valinazzal:
I love how some Nigerian are representing us abroad

I swear down

(1) (Reply)

OPINION] The Shape Of Things To Come In 2023 - Dele Momodu / Breaking: Chaos In Obalende As Hoodlums Protest Toll Gate Reopening / As EFCC Resumes Probe Into Tinubu's Case, He Should Sacrifice These Two Things

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.