Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,609 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Memories Of Another Day - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Memories Of Another Day (1050 Views)

Memories Of Cupid By Jeenah / Memories Of My Days In 100 Level / Story For Another Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Memories Of Another Day by Orikinla(m): 8:46pm On Mar 16, 2011
"Memories of Another Day".

I stood across the street looking at the ramshackle place. I was waiting to see if she still lived there. then, I heard the barking dog. The barks of Gringo! My heart was throbbing. She still kept my dog. I wanted to run across the street straight into the house. But, something held me back. Then, I saw Charlie, Thomas and Chuck on their Honda motorbikes as they rode to the side of the street. They were all in their denim jackets, pants and boots. Blue jeans and black boots.
"Jenny!" Charlie shouted aloud in his husky voice.
The others laughed. They must be drunk.

The sun was going down behind the Windmills.

Then Gringo responded with his barks. I thought Jenny would soon appear. An old woman walking with the aid of a stick came out. They regarded her without saying a word. Thomas coughed. That same old cough. I thought he told me he stopped smoking? He looked ill.
I swallowed lumps of saliva.
"Jenny is gone."
I heard the old woman.
"Jenny gone? Gone where?"
Charlie, the self-appointed ring leader asked and gnashed his teeth. Thomas spat. Chuck snarled.

"She's gone to New Orleans," the old woman replied and quietly sat down on the bench nearby.

Jenny had gone to New Orleans?
To see me?
But, I told her to wait for me.
That I was coming to pay all I owed the boys.

"Damn the bitch and damn Johnny!" Charlie yelled.

The old woman just looked up at him and turned away to pay attention to Gringo as the dog barked at Charlie.
"Sharrap!" Charlie yelled at the dog and spat in fury.
"Let's go boys. We are going to New Orleans!"
He jumped on his bike and the others too.

I waited until, I couldn't see their backs as they rode out. Then, I walked across the street.
"Good evening Ma'am," I greeted the old woman.
She looked and before she could say a word, Gringo pranced up to welcome me with a yelp and wagging the tail.
"yeah," she replied.
"Is Jenny home?"
"Yes."
I heard the voice from within the house.
A voice I couldn't mistake for any other voice. The voice of the only woman who never rejected me. the voice of the woman who suffered untold humiliation for my sake. And she never gave up on me all these years. The voice of the only woman I have vowed to spend the rest of my life with.
I did not wait for her to come out. I rushed inside and as she saw me she fell into my longing arms and we embraced.
The End.

~ By Orikinla Osinachi on Sunday, October 16, 2005

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

***SECRETS Exposed***how To Get Paid Writing For The Web! / Story: BIGVAJINA / Together Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.