Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,868 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

Jewel Of The Savannah. - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Jewel Of The Savannah. (15920 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jewel Of The Savannah. by lilfresh96(m): 9:09pm On Nov 29, 2020
keep the update coming OP , we are following

1 Like

Re: Jewel Of The Savannah. by midetinz(m): 10:20am On Dec 02, 2020
In the last month of the servt year, I looked back to reflect on the journey so far. I rated myself above average as I had been able to learn, unlearn and relearn. I had also been able to travel round more than 50% of Gombe state with a dash in visitation to Jos. On financials, I have saved about 80% of my annual allowee perhaps due to my affluence filled Layla. Despite this I had also seen about two job offers from Kaltungo and Akko respectively but I couldn't sign the dotted lign because the pay wasn't that tempting and I hadn't imagined staying outside southwest as at then.
While o was packing my luggages in preparation for the POP, I realized that most things I had as necessities where actually burden cos I couldn't travel with them. I had to give out most of them as gift to my loyal yaros.How grateful they were!
On the day of the POP I travel to EKWOS office in Gombe to buy a ticket. I was told the luxurious bus will leave by 2pm prompt and that I should be sure I could meet up. O ignored all the doom saying and insisted I need the ticket. Having paid, I left for the POP ground. The program ended arounfld 1:30pm but my name and call up number wasnt called until around 2:45pm. I picked up my certificate and immediately headed for the park. Before I got to the park, I was imagining Layla urging me to stay till weekend but I shrugged off the feeling, Lagos or nothing.
On getting to EKWOS park, I was told that the bus had left. I asked were will the next stop be?Jos was the reply I got.
Without thinking twice, I began negotiation on with a taxi man to take me to Jos. The man said he will change 4/5k and I agreed. We commenced the journey to Jos and I think just when we left Bauchi, we say the EKWOS bus had developed a fault at theboutsirt of Bauchi. The taxi driver asked me if I would join them there(I have my ticket with me) bit I told him I can't be stranded after paying to avoid beign stranded. Off to Jos we went.
TBC

1 Like

Re: Jewel Of The Savannah. by observer88: 10:37pm On Dec 02, 2020
Funny decisions there! Well, go on...
Re: Jewel Of The Savannah. by midetinz(m): 7:57pm On Dec 05, 2020
So sorry for the delay in update. My phone has been misfiring since perhaps it is due for a replacement.
Permit me to flash back a bit on an issue that happened at the tail end of the service year.
Gombe state usually pay a thousand naira per month for corp members and it is usually paid as annual arrears. As in by the 11th month, you are entitled to N12,000 bulk payment. For this particular year, the state government appealed to corp members that the payment will be delayed for two months,two months after NYSC. This didn't go well with most corp members and there was only ONE bank in Kaltungo, Biliri axis which is firstbank. Out of desperation, corp members were teased to align with their CLO to pick the payment on their behalf for ontoward transmission to beneficiaries. This was agreed upon for two reasons
1) The guy intend to stay a while after the POP day
2)He has a firstbank account and remember there was no transfer thingy then.
Till date, I always knew the CLO could have connived with the local government officials cos the guy,(OLATUNJI-real name) had always been funny since I know him.
Sorry,I mentioned his real name cos I intend to still collect my 12k if I see him even if it's 30years time.
He is a law graduate and limps on his right leg. Uea, I have to be that descriptive cos we all signed a list of our names authorizing him to collect the money on our behalf. The money was paid cos I confirmed from the next batch corpers which I met during a job hunt but BARRISTER OLATUNJI hadn't been reachable ever since.
When I got to EKWOS park in Jos, I waited an additional 2hrs before the faulty bus got to Jos. When it had been fully repaired and it was time for departure to Lagos, I was told that my seat position has been sold in Bauchi and the only option I can explore is to "manage" with the bus. I was ready to do it as my mind is shutdown to be in Lagos . When the bus was set to depart, I was told to manage on a make up seat. O thought it would be nice but after 1hrs trip, timglit sensation almost crippled me and I voluntarily opted for standing. Lol. I stood from the outskirt of Jos till Abuja, a 7 hour journey.........
TBC.......
Re: Jewel Of The Savannah. by Nobody: 8:24pm On Dec 05, 2020
Lol grin
Omo, that CLO no try at all.

Wow! So, you really had to stand for 7 hours straight. You be strong man oh.

BTW, I also served at Gombe, Gombe LGA to be precise (2018/19). I visited Biliri LGA severally during my service year, particulary one town like that called Todi. The state is a nice place though, especially for those who served in the villages or places outside of the metropolis.

One thing that gets me frustrated about the state is the language barrier (people hardly speak English or even pidgin there) and the fact that almost all the girls and women are always covered in hijab, especially in the metropolis- it makes it feel like Afghanistan. That really look awkward for me.

Biliri could be likened to Sodom and Gomorrah, and the Tangale girls matter. Lol. grin I seriously miss Gombe sha.

midetinz:
So sorry for the delay in update. My phone has been misfiring since perhaps it is due for a replacement.
Permit me to flash back a bit on an issue that happened at the tail end of the service year.
Gombe state usually pay a thousand naira per month for corp members and it is usually paid as annual arrears. As in by the 11th month, you are entitled to N12,000 bulk payment. For this particular year, the state government appealed to corp members that the payment will be delayed for two months,two months after NYSC. This didn't go well with most corp members and there was only ONE bank in Kaltungo, Biliri axis which is firstbank. Out of desperation, corp members were teased to align with their CLO to pick the payment on their behalf for ontoward transmission to beneficiaries. This was agreed upon for two reasons
1) The guy intend to stay a while after the POP day
2)He has a firstbank account and remember there was no transfer thingy then.
Till date, I always knew the CLO could have connived with the local government officials cos the guy,(OLATUNJI-real name) had always been funny since I know him.
Sorry,I mentioned his real name cos I intend to still collect my 12k if I see him even if it's 30years time.
He is a law graduate and limps on his right leg. Uea, I have to be that descriptive cos we all signed a list of our names authorizing him to collect the money on our behalf. The money was paid cos I confirmed from the next batch corpers which I met during a job hunt but BARRISTER OLATUNJI hadn't been reachable ever since.
When I got to EKWOS park in Jos, I waited an additional 2hrs before the faulty bus got to Jos. When it had been fully repaired and it was time for departure to Lagos, I was told that my seat position has been sold in Bauchi and the only option I can explore is to "manage" with the bus. I was ready to do it as my mind is shutdown to be in Lagos . When the bus was set to depart, I was told to manage on a make up seat. O thought it would be nice but after 1hrs trip, timglit sensation almost crippled me and I voluntarily opted for standing. Lol. I stood from the outskirt of Jos till Abuja, a 7 hour journey.........
TBC.......
Re: Jewel Of The Savannah. by Nobody: 8:34pm On Dec 05, 2020
SFCommander2:
Lol grin
Omo, that CLO no try at all.

Wow! So, you really had to stand for 7 hours straight. You be strong man oh.

BTW, I also served at Gombe, Gombe LGA to be precise (2018/19). I visited Biliri LGA severally during my service year, particulary one town like that called Todi. The state is a nice place though, especially for those who served in the villages or places outside of the metropolis.

One thing that gets me frustrated about the state is the language barrier (people hardly speak English or even pidgin there) and the fact that almost all the girls and women are always covered in hijab, especially in the metropolis- it makes it feel like Afghanistan. That really look awkward for me.

Biliri could be likened to Sodom and Gomorrah, and the Tangale girls matter. Lol. grin I seriously miss Gombe sha.

Billiri LGA. We called it 'Bills' in 2009 Batch B then. Tangale girls worry sha, plus that state had highest concentration of HIV + cases then, so everybody gentle. Na just smoke and shayo get us that year. Tom!
Re: Jewel Of The Savannah. by midetinz(m): 8:09am On Dec 09, 2020
On getting to Abuja, we parked for purpose of brief relaxation and I made a personal request to God to help me get a seat anyhow. My limbs were loosing sensation and my arm was aching.
We continued our journey from Abuja and when we got to okene or so,in the middle of the night, the vehicle developed a mild fault. We all used the opportunity to stretch our nerves and also ease ourselves. What I find surprising was that most babes in the bus squatted in front of the bus with it's full light on to ease themselves. That day,I knew the difference between need and want. They cared less about been "seen" but cared more about safety as the surrounding bushes were thick black. When we left, our trip was calm and blessed with the midnight coldness. I got used to my new found ordeal and started asking myself some questions about what next.
I flashed back to my Gombe life and appreciated God for his glory. I got two certification trainings and had learnt barbing up to commercial threshold. Likewise,I had about N90,000 cash with me. I should not forget to mention that two months to the end of the service year, the allowee was reviewed to N9500 from N7500.
When we got to ilishan in Ogun state, about 30% of the bus population alighted and that was the FIRST time I heard of the school BABCOCK. I guess it was their first NYSC or so from the school inception as they did athimgs as a team.
I got to Lagos around 12noon having left Gombe at 2pm the previous day.
I immediately called my friends in Gombe town and send messages to others outside Gombe town that I was in Lagos. NO ONE believed me and felt it's possible I had impregnated one of the indigenes. Lol. But I hadn't. I just wanted to continue life as soon as I can.
POST NYSC:
I got my first job about 8months after NYSC. Before then I has bought two good phones from my savings for me and my girlfriend.lol.
I wrote series of letters to Layla through the post office with severt words of encouragement. Shortly after that period, networks fully got to major parts of Gombe and Layla was able to call me one fateful afternoon. She cried, she stopped, we spoke at length. She said she thought I was joking when I told her I will leave after POP. She accused me of not beign considerate of her feelings. I encourage her to have a different perspective that we were never meant to be "if not for NYSC". She later thanked me and said she always received my letters with pride and joy.
Fast forward 5years after NYSC, I got married to my heart throb. Facebook was around then so I showed Layla few pictures and encouraged her not to also settle for less. She also got married 3years after marriage and showed me pictures of the ceremony.
At present, we are both married with kids but I am still looking for Barrister OLATUNJI.
**THE END**

7 Likes

Re: Jewel Of The Savannah. by Nobody: 1:13pm On Dec 10, 2020
Wow! Quite a journey, Op. Life moves on, regardless of how other people may feel/think we've treated them. Life must not be lived on the basis of mere emotional feelings but by reason and personal desires. I learn from that.

Op, abeg, kindly forgive the barrister and move on grin

midetinz:
On getting to Abuja, we parked for purpose of brief relaxation and I made a personal request to God to help me get a seat anyhow. My limbs were loosing sensation and my arm was aching.
We continued our journey from Abuja and when we got to okene or so,in the middle of the night, the vehicle developed a mild fault. We all used the opportunity to stretch our nerves and also ease ourselves. What I find surprising was that most babes in the bus squatted in front of the bus with it's full light on to ease themselves. That day,I knew the difference between need and want. They cared less about been "seen" but cared more about safety as the surrounding bushes were thick black. When we left, our trip was calm and blessed with the midnight coldness. I got used to my new found ordeal and started asking myself some questions about what next.
I flashed back to my Gombe life and appreciated God for his glory. I got two certification trainings and had learnt barbing up to commercial threshold. Likewise,I had about N90,000 cash with me. I should not forget to mention that two months to the end of the service year, the allowee was reviewed to N9500 from N7500.
When we got to ilishan in Ogun state, about 30% of the bus population alighted and that was the FIRST time I heard of the school BABCOCK. I guess it was their first NYSC or so from the school inception as they did athimgs as a team.
I got to Lagos around 12noon having left Gombe at 2pm the previous day.
I immediately called my friends in Gombe town and send messages to others outside Gombe town that I was in Lagos. NO ONE believed me and felt it's possible I had impregnated one of the indigenes. Lol. But I hadn't. I just wanted to continue life as soon as I can.
POST NYSC:
I got my first job about 8months after NYSC. Before then I has bought two good phones from my savings for me and my girlfriend.lol.
I wrote series of letters to Layla through the post office with severt words of encouragement. Shortly after that period, networks fully got to major parts of Gombe and Layla was able to call me one fateful afternoon. She cried, she stopped, we spoke at length. She said she thought I was joking when I told her I will leave after POP. She accused me of not beign considerate of her feelings. I encourage her to have a different perspective that we were never meant to be "if not for NYSC". She later thanked me and said she always received my letters with pride and joy.
Fast forward 5years after NYSC, I got married to my heart throb. Facebook was around then so I showed Layla few pictures and encouraged her not to also settle for less. She also got married 3years after marriage and showed me pictures of the ceremony.
At present, we are both married with kids but I am still looking for Barrister OLATUNJI.
**THE END**
Re: Jewel Of The Savannah. by midetinz(m): 2:24pm On Dec 10, 2020
SFCommander2:
Wow! Quite a journey, Op. Life moves on, regardless of how other people may feel/think we've treated them. Life must not be lived on the basis of mere emotional feelings but by reason and personal desires. I learn from that.

Op, abeg, kindly forgive the barrister and move on grin

I be human o. Not Christ. Lol.
Unfortunately for the barrister,he has a natural I.D on him in him limping limbs. Technically,he has no hiding place. I emphasized on his ordeal to let us appreciate how dubious some human had been since Adam.
Thank you @ur advice. Noted.
Re: Jewel Of The Savannah. by Nobody: 5:29am On Dec 13, 2020
Nice experience OP, thanks for sharing.
Re: Jewel Of The Savannah. by Taroshi(m): 8:08pm On Apr 18, 2021
BlackKing555:

And you decide to convert to a Muslim

Lol. Nah. "Tanimola Musa" was just a name I was given over there. I got to appreciate Islam as a religion, just like Christianity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

modified / NYSC: 4 Camp Rules Corp Members Don't Make Fuss About [photos] / Adamawa Increases Corpers' Allowance From N2,000 To N10,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.