Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North (2436 Views)

Political Thugs Attacked APC While Setting Up Campaign Ground In Rivers [PIC] / Muslim North Using South West To Frustrate South - South West Will Regret Action / APGA Rounds Up Campaign At Nnewi Triangle, Ojukwu's Country Home(Pictures/Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by Beaf: 9:10am On Mar 17, 2011
[size=14pt]Nigeria's Jonathan wraps up campaign in Muslim north[/size]
Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:12am GMT   
Nick Tattersall

KANO, Nigeria (Reuters) - Thousands of ruling party supporters flocked to a dusty polo ground in Nigeria's northern city of Kano on Wednesday for the penultimate leg of President Goodluck Jonathan's election campaign tour.

Securing support in this ancient Islamic city, Nigeria's second most populous after the southern commercial hub of Lagos, will be key if Jonathan, who is from the southern Niger Delta, is to clinch victory in the first round of the April polls.

As the incumbent, Jonathan is considered the front-runner, but his main rival, Muslim ex-military ruler Muhammadu Buhari, has strong grass roots support in many parts of the north and the opposition is hoping to force a run-off.

"We will unite this country, and run an open government that does not discriminate," Jonathan told the crowd, eschewing his usual fedora and kaftan for a red cap and white robes, the traditional dress of the northern Hausa-Fulani ethnic group.

"We are encouraged by the crowd we see here," he said, on the 35th stage of his tour of Nigeria's 36 states.

From Islamic police enforcing a ban on beer and prostitution to its centuries-old market and mosques, Kano feels like a different country to the pulsating southern sprawl of Lagos.

Its dusty, tree-lined streets and throngs of child beggars have more in common with the sleepy Sahelian cities of Niger or Chad than with Lagos in the south, a city built on hustle and home to some of Africa's largest firms and richest tycoons.

Jonathan inherited power after the death of late northern President Umaru Yar'Adua last year and some in the northern elite feel his victory would rob them of what should have been another four years in power for their region.

Buhari's reputation as a disciplinarian won respect from some, who lament the extent to which corruption has spread, and sits well with the conservatism of Kano, one of only four states where uniformed Islamic police are used to enforce sharia law.

He ruled Nigeria between December 1983 and August 1985, an iron-fisted administration best remembered for its "War Against Indiscipline", a campaign against graft in which politicians were jailed and drug traffickers executed.

"Buhari has a clean mind. He is a very religious and Godly person," said Hajia Hadisa Mohammed, 85, buying textiles in Kano's Kwari market, a labyrinth of narrow alleyways packed with stalls made of wooden lattice and corrugated iron roofs.

GRINDING POVERTY

Much is at stake in Kano and Nigeria's other northern cities. Jonathan must win at least 25 percent of the vote in two thirds of the states to clinch victory. The core north, along with opposition strongholds in the southwest, are seen as the most likely regions to prevent him succeeding.

Northern Muslims long pulled the strings of political power.

Four military rulers from the region led the country in the decade and a half before democracy was restored in 1999 but since the end of military rule, the upper echelons of the security forces have increasingly been staffed by southerners and some in the north fear being marginalised.

The south has the oil reserves and sea ports and is home to the headquarters of Nigeria's banks. Rapid economic growth has created a generation of independent wealth no longer so reliant on the political patronage once dispensed by northern strongmen.

On the streets of Kano, such rivalries are considered the preserve of the political elite. For most people in a region where industry and agriculture are in decline, more basic issues such as jobs and reliable electricity supply are the priorities.

"What we want is change. This government has failed us. Buhari is the only option," said Sagir Haruna at his market stall, surrounded by piles of fabric from India and China.

For many of Nigeria's 150 million people, scraping by on a few dollars a day, politics is a game played by the wealthy whose prize is control of oil revenues and government contracts and whose outcome has little impact on their daily lives.

Kano youths grabbed what they could from Jonathan's rally.

Moments after his convoy sped from the polo ground, there was a scramble to strip the podium on which he had spoken, scavenging valuable planks of wood, tearing material from the drapings and even ripping up the red carpet, part of which was offered to this correspondent for 1,000 naira.

"I came with just my legs, but now I've got this," said Abubakar Sadiq, 21, carting off a large scaffolding poll.

"I will keep it in my house and think of Goodluck Jonathan whenever I look at it," he said, but then paused and added:

"Or maybe I'll sell it."

http://af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFJOE72G01S20110317?sp=true
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by Beaf: 9:25am On Mar 17, 2011
Reuters gave a very good summary of the Nigerian political landscape, they also highlighted Buhari's greatest weakness. Yes, Buhari will loose Kano (or kpata kpata, na draw).
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by EkoIle1: 9:33am On Mar 17, 2011
Beaf:

Reuters gave a very good summary of the Nigerian political landscape, they also highlighted Buhari's greatest weakness. Yes, Buhari will loose Kano (or kpata kpata, na draw).

This is what GEJ pulled in Kano. Not even a 1/4 of what Buhari pulled. This is very sorry for a siting clueless president

Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by Vigilante: 9:37am On Mar 17, 2011
Kano always goes left. GEJ will lose Kano.
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by Beaf1: 12:37pm On Mar 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

This is what GEJ pulled in Kano. Not even a 1/4 of what Buhari pulled. This is very sorry for a siting clueless president

@Eko Ile
I even heard that these people are actually there for the Governorhip Aspirant NOT for the President.
cheesy cheesy
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by kasiem(m): 12:41pm On Mar 17, 2011
Fresh air is really blowing. Goodluck to all
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by Nobody: 12:47pm On Mar 17, 2011
These are just people that were bold to come out to publicly support GEJ.Millions are also residing in Kano that would of course not come out because of The fear of the Stoning Dictator(Buhari) and his supporters.The fact remains that Shekarau will win this state while Jonathan the Democrat(GEJ) and the Dictator will still get 25% from the state.
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by omo9ja1(m): 12:49pm On Mar 17, 2011
briesssss dom bowl fowl yash dom comot smiley
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by Nobody: 12:50pm On Mar 17, 2011
Beaf!:

@Eko Ile
I even heard that these people are actually there for the Governorhip Aspirant NOT for the President.
cheesy cheesy
Just like many also came for their candidates and not for the Dictator(Buhari) foolish and childish gossip talk.(I heard) Keep hearing and you will also hear how the Dictator(Buhari)and false Pastor(Bakare) Lost in April!!!
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by javalove(m): 12:56pm On Mar 17, 2011
Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In [size=18pt]Muslim North[/size] )

This stupid and useless westerners put our differences to our face all the time. . .Bastwards!!!!!! They keep writing Muslim North, Christian outh bla bla bla. . . Very annoying

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated. . .!
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by babsmii(m): 1:18pm On Mar 17, 2011
they are special people over there with few people thinking for them,
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by hakanai(m): 1:27pm On Mar 17, 2011
javalove:

Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In [size=18pt]Muslim North[/size] )

This silly and useless westerners put our differences to our face all the time. . .Bastwards!!!!!! They keep writing Muslim North, Christian outh bla bla bla. . . Very annoying

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated. . .!

Na so now divide and rule.Maybe to also fuel our disintegration base on there projections 2015!!!!
This is what is also flaming sentiments and we can't focus on real issues such as leadership and management of the nation as a whole.Personally the problems are so numerous you can't start to imagine.
My assessment of Kano-PDP may win Governorship but loose presidential to CPC/ANPP
Even the PDP Govship keeps his campaign for himself. lipsrsealed
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by Beaf1: 1:46pm On Mar 17, 2011
haka_nai:

Na so now divide and rule.Maybe to also fuel our disintegration base on there projections 2015!!!!
This is what is also flaming sentiments and we can't focus on real issues such as leadership and management of the nation as a whole.Personally the problems are so numerous you can't start to imagine.
My assessment of Kano-PDP may win Governorship but loose presidential to CPC/ANPP
Even the PDP Govship keeps his campaign for himself. lipsrsealed

Exactly! so i heard.
If he dare say vote for GEJ he will loose support.
So i heard oo
cheesy cheesy
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by Beaf: 2:05pm On Mar 17, 2011
^
Lol! It seems you guys dream of Beaf all the time. The elections will take place in polling booths, not on NL.
You think I'm your problem, sorry, your poor candidate is your biggest problem. grin
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by bkbabe97y(m): 2:13pm On Mar 17, 2011
^^^20 years from now, waaay after GEJ and his cohorts have ruined what is left of (what used to be called) Nigeria, I'll love to sit and have a beer with you , look in your face and ask: "HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT. . . . ?"

P.S: I cant promise not to punch u in the face tho. Oh, and, how we gone get u a visa to come out here?
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by CyberG: 2:30pm On Mar 17, 2011
Only a few lunatics on NL think this mumu president GEJ should even be a primary school class captain but no surprise there. Some people were born with nothing upstairs and original suffer-heads! You can vote for him as your tribal leader but as president, he is way moooorrrreeeee clueless than Yar'adua or any president till date in Nigeria!
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by Beaf: 3:03pm On Mar 17, 2011
bk.babe97y:

^^^20 years from now, waaay after GEJ and his cohorts have ruined what is left of (what used to be called) Nigeria, I'll love to sit and have a beer with you , look in your face and ask: "HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT. . . . ?"

P.S: I cant promise not to punch u in the face tho. Oh, and, how we gone get u a visa to come out here?

You got jokes! I'm sure you are really scrawny with very thin legs and look like you're gonna die if the wind blows too hard!
Dude, I am really tall and well built. If you see me, you'll surmmarily wet your pants and slink off into the nearest bin!

Rather than have a beer with me, I'll ensure you are headed for the nearest jail and immigrations. grin
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by bkbabe97y(m): 3:09pm On Mar 17, 2011
Beaf:

You got jokes! I'm sure you are really scrawny with very thin legs and look like you're gonna die if the wind blows too hard!
Dude, I am really tall and well built. If you see me, you'll surmmarily wet your pants and slink off into the nearest bin!

Dude, I didnt grow up drinking milk by sucking it out directly from the Goat's ti*tties; I grew up opening the fridge and grabbing a bottle: WE GOT ELECTRICITY 24/7. . . . . .

Now, which of us is more likely to have scrawny legs and an emaciated build?

Oh, and 70% of us dont live on less than $1 a day. . . . . .
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by bkbabe97y(m): 3:11pm On Mar 17, 2011
Beaf:

Rather than have a beer with me, I'll ensure you are headed for the nearest jail and immigrations. grin

Oh, nah, the meeting I'm envisioning takes place here in the States in which case I'll be the one handing you over to Immigration!
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by alldone(m): 7:34pm On Mar 17, 2011
GEJ will win. the north will be shared by Buhari/ribadu/shakarau/GEJ
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by kasiem(m): 8:18pm On Mar 17, 2011
Pls guys i heard that its only two people that are contesting this election via Goodluck and Badluck, is it true?I need air not stone.
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by timbuktwo: 10:15pm On Mar 17, 2011
Christian Purefoy twitter CNN

Turnout for Buhari rally in Sokoto much bigger than for Goodluck last week #Nigeriadecides

http://twitter.com/purefoycnn
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by bestman09(m): 10:53pm On Mar 17, 2011
GOODLUCK NIGERIA
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by HIROSHI: 9:48am On Mar 18, 2011
Ozin:

These are just people that were bold to come out to publicly support GEJ.Millions are also residing in Kano that would of course not come out because of The fear of the Stoning Dictator(Buhari) and his supporters.The fact remains that Shekarau will win this state while Jonathan the Democrat(GEJ) and the Dictator will still get 25% from the state.

Well said.

Many people on this forum do not even reside in Nigeria, let alone possess voter's card. They only do beer parlour calculations and come up with results.

PDP will not win the Kano presidential election but they will still get at least 20% of the votes cast there. And they may win the governorship. Same scenario would be repeated in Jigawa and Katsina (where PDP will get the required 25% votes cast).

Run-off would be wishful thinking of the opposition, GEJ would win not less than 52% of the total votes cast (putting it conservatively) and at least 25% votes cast in not less 26 states of the federation. Please qoute me on this by May (when all the dust would have settled).
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by Nobody: 10:06am On Mar 18, 2011
kasiem:

Pls guys i heard that its only two people that are contesting this election via Goodluck and Badluck, is it true?I need air not stone.

Yeah you are right,others are only completing the numbers.The contest is between the Democrat(Goodluck) and the Dictator that once killed our democracy(Badluck Buhari)
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by sley4life(m): 7:07pm On Mar 18, 2011
GEJ has finalized his winning plans. Landslide victory
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by omanzo02: 8:29pm On Mar 18, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Dude, I didnt grow up drinking milk by sucking it out directly from the Goat's ti*tties; I grew up opening the fridge and grabbing a bottle: WE GOT ELECTRICITY 24/7. . . . . .

Now, which of us is more likely to have scrawny legs and an emaciated build?

Oh, and 70% of us dont live on less than $1 a day. . . . . .

Wow, I now know why u are synonymous with spewing rubish, so u grew up grooming as a drunkard?, how do u know u have 24/7 electricity when u are likely drunk most of the time? , living in USA don finish this one, olodo grin grin grin grin ;
Re: Reuters - Nigeria's Jonathan Wraps Up Campaign In Muslim North by Dreamchaser1(f): 8:28am On Mar 19, 2011
This write up by Reuters is very well written. After. 40 yrs of ruling this country and then destroying it, this nothern elites are still trying to cling to power. It won't work!

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS ; Reps PDP Caucus Endorses Jonathan For Second Term. / After Exit Of IG ABUBAKAR Nigerian Police Returns To Our Roads(PICS) / As Easy As PDP (to Defeat) By Sonala Olumhense - A Must Read !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.