Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,746 members, 7,820,575 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom (907 Views)

Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife / Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Eddie4God(m): 8:25am On Nov 14, 2020
From next year, officials in Nigeria and the British Museum will take part in an archaeological dig to look for royal treasures in the former African kingdom of Benin . The excavation, described as the “most extensive ever undertaken” in Benin City, will begin at a site adjacent to the palace of the Oba, Benin’s traditional ruler, AFP reported.
Nigeria has said it will build a new museum at that site to exhibit looted Benin Bronzes currently displayed in American and European museums. The 10,000-square-foot museum — the Edo Museum of West African Art –is being designed by the trailblazing Ghanaian-British architect, David Adjaye and is due to open in Benin City in four years.
Benin City was the capital of Benin Kingdom , one of the most highly developed states in Africa, when it was ransacked and burnt down in 1897 by British forces. Its destruction in what became known as the Benin Expedition of 1897 led to the fall of the once successful and well-recognized Benin Kingdom located in what is now southern Nigeria.
Britain’s punitive expedition did not only lead to the deaths of gallant chiefs but it also took away various works of art including Ivory and bronze works. Today, most of these works of art are held in prominent museums, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the British Museum.
Two of the Benin Bronzes were in 2014 returned by a British citizen, Mark Walker, leading to calls for repatriation of more artifacts. The rest of the Benin Bronzes remain at the British Museum, with Nigerians pressing to have them returned.
Museums in Europe and America do have objects taken from Africa during the colonial period but as AFP reported, “the law often prevents countries from giving them back”. Such is the case with the British Museum, though it could loan the Benin Bronzes to the new Edo museum.
The British Museum has, however, said it is working to make it possible for Benin works of art from its collection to be permanently displayed at the Edo Museum of West African Art. Nigerian officials have also highlighted the importance of the excavation that will take place at the site of the museum.
“(We are) very excited about this archaeological work in historic Benin, which we hope and believe will lead to a greater understanding of the ancient kingdom of Benin,” said Professor Abba Isa Tijani, director general of the National Commission for Museums and Monuments, Nigeria, Evening Express reported.
The report added that excavated objects will “remain in Nigeria and become part of the Edo Museum of West African Art, museum collections and displays.”

https://face2faceafrica.com/article/nigeria-and-uk-have-teamed-up-to-dig-for-royal-treasures-in-former-benin-kingdom
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by YoonSung61: 8:27am On Nov 14, 2020
hmmm ok
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by thesicilian: 8:44am On Nov 14, 2020
When they come to Egypt, Benin and other parts of Africa to take what does not belong to them, they call it different enticing names like "digging up treasures", "archaeology", etc but when we do it to them in their countries, it is stealing and grave robbing!
When will Africa learn?
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Righteousness89(m): 8:47am On Nov 14, 2020
Dig for Royal treasures that Have been Corrupted by Moth and Rust?

I would advise we Dig and obtain those things that will Guarantee us Heavenly Treasures where moth and Rust do not Destroy!

The Coming of JESUS is upon us Folks!!
Let's Dig and Search our Hearts to Ensure there is Nothing standing between us and GOD.

It's gonna Happen Unawares !!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Ever8090: 9:05am On Nov 14, 2020
There two no get work... another avenue created by Nigerian politicians to loot billions

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Edeyoung: 12:04pm On Nov 14, 2020
Righteousness89:
Dig for Royal treasures that Have been Corrupted by Moth and Rust?

I would advise we Dig and obtain those things that will Guarantee us Heavenly Treasures where moth and Rust do not Destroy!

The Coming of JESUS is upon us Folks!!
Let's Dig and Search our Hearts to Ensure there is Nothing standing between us and GOD.

It's gonna Happen Unawares !!

Wetin u dey talk

Blackman worshipping white god

Atleast give our african tradition some respect

Nonsense
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Etrusen(m): 5:38pm On Nov 16, 2020
lovely

this will help promote the Benin kingdom and her culture
hopefully the next governor will not abandon the project
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Etinosa1234: 2:50am On Nov 19, 2020
Oba Gha tokpere

My greatest wish is that we do not lose our culture and tradition

Make nobody bring tribal wars come this thread ooo

Btw.. na righteousness make me comment for this thread

Be like e go reach front page
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Etrusen(m): 6:24am On Nov 20, 2020
the propose Benin museum

Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Etrusen(m): 6:27am On Nov 20, 2020
but I prefer this very one because of the bird of the ancient Benin empire

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Etinosa1234: 12:05pm On Nov 20, 2020
Etrusen:
but I prefer this very one because of the bird of the ancient Benin empire

Have they started building it...

The One in ring road be like calamity
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Etrusen(m): 12:12pm On Nov 20, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Have they started building it...

The One in ring road be like calamity

no they have not, but the plans have started coming and hopefully with help of governor and the king this will become reality

according to obaseki the project will start from January but sincerely speaking the project might take time because of the politics in Nigeria.

they may also consider what to do with the old one
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Edeyoung: 8:18pm On Nov 20, 2020
Etrusen:

no they have not, but the plans have started coming and hopefully with help of governor and the king this will become reality

according to obaseki the project will start from January but sincerely speaking the project might take time because of the politics in Nigeria.

they may also consider what to do with the old one

Were dem won build this one
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Etrusen(m): 2:34am On Nov 21, 2020
Edeyoung:

Were dem won build this one

bro the place never dey certain for now
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Edeyoung: 4:31am On Nov 21, 2020
Etrusen:

bro the place never dey certain for now

Make them nor build am for benin

Na oversabi just dey worry dem..... And d palace

Make dem leave them there weren't ready for that can edo state of federal maintain it,

Misplaced priorities

Mtcheew
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Etrusen(m): 6:19am On Nov 21, 2020
Edeyoung:

Make them nor build am for benin

Na oversabi just dey worry dem..... And d palace

Make dem leave them there weren't ready for that can edo state of federal maintain it,

Misplaced priorities

Mtcheew

if you say make them nor build am 4 Benin

where then you suggest?
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Edeyoung: 2:17pm On Nov 21, 2020
Etrusen:

if you say make them nor build am 4 Benin

where then you suggest?

Guy make them leave dat project, till nigeria go better,

It won't be funny wen it is finally done and years later it would be a shadow of itself

They should think of rebuilding the moat, and turning it to a tourists centre make dem leave those sculpture for there

The ones wen we get for benin like the moat, the palace, ancestral shrine we don fit maintain dem

I would prefer if he ask for loaning those artwork
To d British till wen nigeria don better, that way the money go dey enter edo government treasury

Our oba just dey give himself wahala,
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Etrusen(m): 4:04pm On Nov 21, 2020
Edeyoung:

It won't be funny wen it is finally done and years later it would be a shadow of itself

They should think of rebuilding the moat, and turning it to a tourists centre make dem leave those sculpture for there

The ones wen we get for benin like the moat, the palace, ancestral shrine we don fit maintain dem

To d British till wen nigeria don better, that way the money go dey enter edo government treasury

ok
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by edego2up(m): 12:05pm On Nov 27, 2020
Edeyoung:

Rome was not build in a day, one step at a time.Nigera/Africans should learn to plan ahead, once gotten it's gotten.change your mindset, learn to be on the progressive not a retrogressive

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Edeyoung: 12:59pm On Nov 27, 2020
edego2up:

Rome was not build in a day, one step at a time.Nigera/Africans should learn to plan ahead, once gotten it's gotten.change your mindset, learn to be on the progressive not a retrogressive

Progressive were ,you think I don’t want it back

Take a look at the moat couldn’t take ,just take a look at the maintainabce

Then come back and clean this rubbish

Stop thinking with emotions bro,start thinking with the head
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Nobody: 1:03pm On Nov 27, 2020
Edeyoung:

Progressive were ,you think I don’t want it back

Take a look at the moat couldn’t take ,just take a look at the maintainabce

Then come back and clean this rubbish

Stop thinking with emotions bro,start thinking with the head

I think, they will be well maintained if returned to the rightful owner, the Oba of Benin.
Also, they will generate revenue from tourism (they have generated a lot of revenue for the europeans and americans).
The artefacts will also serve to educate nigerians in history. God knows nigerians are very bad at history, even nigerian professors of history are bad at it.
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Edeyoung: 1:17pm On Nov 27, 2020
bandit90002:

I think, they will be well maintained if returned to the rightful owner, the Oba of Benin.
Also, they will generate revenue from tourism (they have generated a lot of revenue for the europeans and americans).
The artefacts will also serve to educate nigerians in history. God knows nigerians are very bad at history, even nigerian professors of history are bad at it.

Why do you guys think with the first thought that comes from your brain

You guys seem to underestimate corruptions

My Benin brothers you guys can think better,our ancestor were thinkers that’s why they could build an empire

You guys are not thinking beyond what you see

That same artwork if left to Europe till wen we are ready to have it back would generate money for us if loaned to them
But wen we have it nigeria ,maybe the first two years people would come see it and after those years,we will be paying more to maintain than the profit we make

Who wants to come to edo as terrible as the raid is just to see an artwork,

Please

Am yet to even lay governmental instability
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Edeyoung: 1:19pm On Nov 27, 2020
If the Benin’s can maintain the moat around Benin then they would be ready to have their bronze artwork back

Or else they are just emotionally blind with stupidity
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Nobody: 1:23pm On Nov 27, 2020
Edeyoung:

Why do you guys think with the first thought that comes from your brain

You guys seem to underestimate corruptions

My Benin brothers you guys can think better,our ancestor were thinkers that’s why they could build an empire

You guys are not thinking beyond what you see

That same artwork if left to Europe till wen we are ready to have it back would generate money for us if loaned to them
But wen we have it nigeria ,maybe the first two years people would come see it and after those years,we will be paying more to maintain than the profit we make

Who wants to come to edo as terrible as the raid is just to see an artwork,

Please

Am yet to even lay governmental instability

1) When talking to me, don't say "you guys". I am not talking a group-speach, I am only expressing my actual thoughts.
2) Adress the content of what I said, stop with the "you guys are not thinking", remain in the plains of reality instead of whatever you are doing.

I have explained to you that Benin art can generate revenue for Benin city, Edo-state, delta-state, Lagos, onitscha... and also help to educate nigerians on history. Adress these arguments rather than going into superlatives and psychology and group talks.

if you would prefer the art to remain in the hands of britain, germany, america .... then say so and advance your arguments.
No need to be disrespectful and patronising to others. Say your arguments and let others say theirs, we don't have to always agree.
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Nobody: 1:30pm On Nov 27, 2020
Edeyoung:
If the Benin’s can maintain the moat around Benin then they would be ready to have their bronze artwork back

Or else they are just emotionally blind with stupidity
here again, the illogical talk.

You see, one of the lessons Stallin learned from WW2 is that, you should never include assumptions of people's thoughts in your reasoning. That makes your reasoning to produse false results.
don't say: they are emotionally blinded. You are not a mind reader, talkless of a "group mind reader".
I advanced my agruments, adress those. Be logical in your speach.
And look at the disrespect, man you are not Albert Einstein, so calm yourself down. Let me tell you, i am most likely way smarter than you ever will be.
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Edeyoung: 2:15pm On Nov 27, 2020
bandit90002:

here again, the illogical talk.

You see, one of the lessons Stallin learned from WW2 is that, you should never include assumptions of people's thoughts in your reasoning. That makes your reasoning to produse false results.
don't say: they are emotionally blinded. You are not a mind reader, talkless of a "group mind reader".
I advanced my agruments, adress those. Be logical in your speach.
And look at the disrespect, man you are not Albert Einstein, so calm yourself down. Let me tell you, i am most likely way smarter than you ever will be.

Emotional trauma bro wake up ,you ain’t thinking

You are just fantasizing

Wakeup
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 27, 2020
Edeyoung:

Emotional trauma bro wake up ,you ain’t thinking

You are just fantasizing

Wakeup

Bringing you into Cartesian reasoning seems to be a lost cause.
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Edeyoung: 2:24pm On Nov 27, 2020
bandit90002:

1) When talking to me, don't say "you guys". I am not talking a group-speach, I am only expressing my actual thoughts.
2) Adress the content of what I said, stop with the "you guys are not thinking", remain in the plains of reality instead of whatever you are doing.

I have explained to you that Benin art can generate revenue for Benin city, Edo-state, delta-state, Lagos, onitscha... and also help to educate nigerians on history. Adress these arguments rather than going into superlatives and psychology and group talks.

if you would prefer the art to remain in the hands of britain, germany, america .... then say so and advance your arguments.
No need to be disrespectful and patronising to others. Say your arguments and let others say theirs, we don't have to always agree.

I made my point there,didn’t you see it you only focus on the part that annoyed you

Nigga you’re fantasizing ,wake up and smell the coffee

A white man would come all d way to a shithole to see an artwork wen Nigeria is number 2 on world terrorist countries

Lol

Abi is it fellow Nigerians that have not eaten that would come to see the artwork

Please you’re beginning to talk like tao11
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Nobody: 2:31pm On Nov 27, 2020
Edeyoung:

I made my point there,didn’t you see it you only focus on the part that annoyed you

Nigga you’re fantasizing ,wake up and smell the coffee

A white man would come all d way to a shithole to see an artwork wen Nigeria is number 2 on world terrorist countries

Lol

Abi is it fellow Nigerians that have not eaten that would come to see the artwork

Please you’re beginning to talk like tao11
I am not used to talking to people like you and that tao and most of you on nairaland. I generally talk to intelligent people and we debate with intelligence. I lay down my arguments and move on, he lays down his arguments and move on, we search, in all honnesty, where the sollution is.
Nobody calls the other derogatery names. No body plays mind reader. All is logical.
But you are free to continue with your own ways, just count me out of discussions with you though. I have my standards.
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 27, 2020
I believe Benin artefacts should be returned to the rightful owner, the OBA. They will help to generate revenue with tourism, to educate nigerians on history, to solidify the historical bunds between the different regions of Benin Kingdom.
I Believe they will lead to a new era.
Re: Nigeria And UK Have Teamed Up To Dig For Royal Treasures In Former Benin Kingdom by Edeyoung: 3:49pm On Nov 27, 2020
I believe is not yet time for the binis to have the artwork, if they can caterer for the ones the britsh left for us the we are good to go

It is noted after england were the largest proportion of the benin bronze is kept benin holds the second Largest propltion,

And what have they done with the second largest portion in their domain,

What about the benin moat, and other notable historical site, what about our dying language,

I belive the true blooded benins are now very few
The ones we have have been so mixed with inferior bloods from other tribe

So they think and act like their half blood

If we need the artworks so badly why not the oba of benin and the people of benin carry guns to those places their bronze are kept and collect it by force

See the way our oba was running to prince Charles the other day all for some petty talks on begging him to return the benin bronze

Just like ooni of ife running to Tinubu to leak his ass

If he had boycotted the meeting a greater message would have been sent

The benins we have today have been so diluted that they belittle themselves this is why i support
Marriage by ones tribe

Misplaced priorities

Abeg make them face Gelegele seaport jor

(1) (Reply)

Poverty In Nigeria / I May Know Who Killed MOHBAD (imole) / Nigerian Girl In Love With Ghanian, More Info In Details Please Read

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.