Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,627 members, 7,820,215 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:34 AM

Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests (591 Views)

CNN Worldwide President, Zucker Resigns After Relationship With Co-worker / Man Demands ₦173,000 From Government After Deadly Potholes Damaged His Car In UK / Ibrahim Boubacar Keita Resigns As Mali's President Resigns Amid Coup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by RomanianNinja: 8:05pm On Nov 15, 2020
Peru’s interim president, Manuel Merino, is resigning just six days after the impeachment of his predecessor plunged the South American nation into turmoil.

“At this time, when the country is experiencing one of its biggest political crises, I want the whole country to know that I’m presenting my irrevocable resignation,” Merino said in a televised address on Sunday.

The surprise impeachment of Martin Vizcarra over unproven bribery allegations triggered Peru’s biggest demonstrations in two decades. The political upheaval could cloud prospects for elections due in April, and further hamstring an economy that contracted 30% in the second quarter because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Merino said his cabinet will remain in place until a new leader takes over, to avoid a power vacuum.

Congress will convene by 6 p.m. Sunday to vote in a lawmaker to lead a new interim government, the acting head of congress Luis Valdez told reporters.

Merino’s announcement was greeted with cheers from demonstrators in the streets of Lima. Others stood at their windows banging pots with spoons, as they have done every night since Vizcarra’s ouster.

Thousands of Peruvians, many of them university students, defied social-distancing rules and marched through the center of Lima on Saturday to protest Vizcarra’s impeachment and called for Merino to quit.

While the demonstrations were largely peaceful, there were some violent clashes with police, and two men died from gunshot wounds.

Further political gridlock and protests threaten to hamper the fight against the coronavirus in a country with one of the world’s highest per-capita death rates from Covid-19.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-11-15/peru-s-interim-president-merino-quits-following-deadly-protests

Cc lalasticlala

Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by puremaker7(m): 8:07pm On Nov 15, 2020
RomanianNinja:
Peru’s interim president, Manuel Merino, is resigning just six days after the impeachment of his predecessor plunged the South American nation into turmoil.

“At this time, when the country is experiencing one of its biggest political crises, I want the whole country to know that I’m presenting my irrevocable resignation,” Merino said in a televised address on Sunday.

The surprise impeachment of Martin Vizcarra over unproven bribery allegations triggered Peru’s biggest demonstrations in two decades. The political upheaval could cloud prospects for elections due in April, and further hamstring an economy that contracted 30% in the second quarter because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Merino said his cabinet will remain in place until a new leader takes over, to avoid a power vacuum.

Congress will convene by 6 p.m. Sunday to vote in a lawmaker to lead a new interim government, the acting head of congress Luis Valdez told reporters.

Merino’s announcement was greeted with cheers from demonstrators in the streets of Lima. Others stood at their windows banging pots with spoons, as they have done every night since Vizcarra’s ouster.

Thousands of Peruvians, many of them university students, defied social-distancing rules and marched through the center of Lima on Saturday to protest Vizcarra’s impeachment and called for Merino to quit.

While the demonstrations were largely peaceful, there were some violent clashes with police, and two men died from gunshot wounds.

Further political gridlock and protests threaten to hamper the fight against the coronavirus in a country with one of the world’s highest per-capita death rates from Covid-19.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-11-15/peru-s-interim-president-merino-quits-following-deadly-protests

Cc lalasticlala
african leaders won't do such
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by 2by40ft: 8:12pm On Nov 15, 2020
We
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by Guide777(m): 8:14pm On Nov 15, 2020
This is what I expected Bubu to do after the endsars protest.
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by 2by40ft: 8:14pm On Nov 15, 2020
puremaker7:
If they do, expect protest immediately after each inauguration. E get how things b in Africa.
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by BlackSpanner: 8:15pm On Nov 15, 2020
Africans will prefer to die in power

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by baralatie(m): 8:15pm On Nov 15, 2020
na wa
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by 2by40ft: 8:17pm On Nov 15, 2020
Guide777:
bubu ll be very happy to disappoint you. Next time guide your expectations
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by favor914: 8:19pm On Nov 15, 2020
puremaker7:
Will your father resign from his new job in 5 days? What do they want? They impeached the Former President, the new one resigned within days? Peru problems is just beginning, we don’t need these kind of confusion on top our confusion.
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by Quelme: 8:20pm On Nov 15, 2020
Buhari do resign na.
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by favor914: 8:23pm On Nov 15, 2020
Guide777:
Always thinking backwardly, no wonder you have nothing? Buhari resign because some hooligans were causing civil unrest? in my opinion enough people were not shot, to teach others a lesson next time.
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by favor914: 8:24pm On Nov 15, 2020
Quelme:
Buhari do resign na.
Make your Governor resign na?
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by Iseoluwani: 8:24pm On Nov 15, 2020
Guide777:

exactly
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by Quelme: 8:25pm On Nov 15, 2020
favor914:
Make your Governor resign na?
Forget Mr MOU. That na story for another day.
Hope you dey enjoy your Sunday?
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by Iseoluwani: 8:26pm On Nov 15, 2020
favor914:
Always thinking backwardly, no wonder you have nothing? Buhari resign because some hooligans were causing civil unrest? in my opinion enough people were not shot, to teach others a lesson next time.

chai. see person daughter, and this one will go to a man house as the wife. RIP FOR THE MAN IN ADVANCE. into say u talk trash
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by puremaker7(m): 8:26pm On Nov 15, 2020
favor914:
Will your father resign from his new job in 5 days? What do they want? They impeached the Former President, the new one resigned within days? Peru problems is just beginning, we don’t need these kind of confusion on top our confusion.
if the people that your father is leading don't want your father anymore, the best thing is for your father to resign or they kill your father...

if you think you are stupid and lack parential guard by mentioning my father, you will be taught outside.
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by favor914: 8:27pm On Nov 15, 2020
Iseoluwani:

exactly
Too many daft minded children on Nairaland? Expect President Buhari duly elected to resign, because some pdp miscreants that don’t support him are disgruntled? Go and look for a job, to occupy your spare time, an idle mind is the devil’s workshop.
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by inteli: 8:28pm On Nov 15, 2020
Here, government would say " is just 15 that was killed, I thought it was 100, no wahala".

Failed country sad
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by favor914: 8:29pm On Nov 15, 2020
puremaker7:
if the people that your father is leading don't want your father anymore, the best thing is for your father to resign or they kill your father...

if you think you are stupid and lack parential guard by mentioning my father, you will be taught outside.
Pikin very funny, they will kill your Father? Go and wait to vote for Atiku in 2023, President Buhari has a mandate from the 15 million people that voted for him. Go & hide your face in the sand like an ostrich till then Loser.
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by Iseoluwani: 8:33pm On Nov 15, 2020
favor914:
Too many daft minded children on Nairaland? Expect President Buhari duly elected to resign, because some pdp miscreants that don’t support him are disgruntled? Go and look for a job, to occupy your spare time, an idle mind is the devil’s workshop.

your name from the back says all. what stops a president from resigning if

1.campaign promises are not met
2. insecurity of lives
3. favouritism of a tribe over another
4. making life difficult without providing alternative. petrol is 170 since yesterday. before you were born I bought petrol at #5 that was when fuel was 50kobo. and it will take one conveniently to ibadan to ore 2twice.
seems you failed this year weac. go and read again Arrow
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by favor914: 8:35pm On Nov 15, 2020
inteli:
Here, government would say " is just 15 that was killed, I thought it was 100, no wahala".

Failed country sad
100? Are you amongst the bodybags, Randall and Hopkirk Deceased?, you returned from the other side to count yourself? where did you get those stats from?
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by favor914: 8:39pm On Nov 15, 2020
Iseoluwani:

your name from the back says all. what stops a president from resigning if

1.campaign promises are not met
2. insecurity of lives
3. favouritism of a tribe over another
4. making life difficult without providing alternative. petrol is 170 since yesterday. before you were born I bought petrol at #5 that was when fuel was 50kobo. and it will take one conveniently to ibadan to ore 2twice.
seems you failed this year weac. go and read again Arrow
Why did Yaradua of pdp not resign when he knew he was dying? You bought petrol in swan water bottle for 50 kobo for your Raleigh bicycle, what year? You rode from Ibadan to Ore, how much was toll gate fees then?
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by peacekante: 6:52am On Nov 16, 2020
grin
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by Guide777(m): 7:34am On Nov 16, 2020
favor914:
Well and aptly said. I shouldn't expect anything less from a slowpoke.
Re: Breaking: Peru's Interim President Resigns After Deadly Protests by Guide777(m): 7:37am On Nov 16, 2020
2by40ft:
bubu ll be very happy to disappoint you. Next time guide your expectations
Expectations well guided. Let him continue. Onward we match. Together we feel the pangs.

(1) (Reply)

Biden To Propose Bill To Legalize 11 Million Immigrants / Who Is The General Leading Russia’s New War Strategy In Ukraine? - Aljazeera / Guys Share A Screenshot Of The Most Ridiculous Western Propaganda News On Ukrain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.