Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,700 members, 7,820,444 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:59 PM

Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs (12773 Views)

Islamic Ruling On DNA Testing To Establish Paternity / Islamic Ruling On Family Planning / Islamic Ruling On Blowing Oneself Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by Realismailakabir: 12:31am On Nov 20, 2020
Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs

Praise be to Allah.

Firstly: 

Islam forbids Muslims to keep dogs, and the punishment for that is that the one who does that loses one or two qiraats from his hasanaat (good deeds) each day. An exception has been made in the case of keeping dogs for hunting, guarding livestock and guarding crops. 

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, except a dog for herding, hunting or farming, one qiraat will be deducted from his reward each day.” Narrated by Muslim, 1575. 

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, except a dog for herding livestock or a dog that is trained for hunting, two qiraats will be deducted from his reward each day.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5163; Muslim, 1574. 

Is it permissible to keep a dog to guard houses? 

Al-Nawawi said: 

There is a difference of opinion as to whether it is permissible to keep dogs for purposes other than these three, such as for guarding houses and roads. The most correct view is that it is permissible, by analogy with these three and based on the reason that is to be understood from the hadeeth, which is necessity. End quote. 

Sharh Muslim, 10/236 

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: 

Based on this, if a house is in the middle of the city there is no need to keep a dog to guard it, so keeping a dog for this purpose in such situations is haraam and is not permitted, and it detracts one or two qiraats from a person’s reward every day. They should get rid of this dog and not keep it. But if the house is in the countryside and there is no one else around, then it is permissible to keep a dog to guard the house and the people who are in it; guarding the members of the household is more important than guarding livestock or crops. End quote. 

Secondly: 

With regard to the words of the questioner, “keeping a dog is naajis”. This is not exactly correct, because the najaasah (impurity) is not in the dog itself, rather it is in its saliva when it drinks from a vessel. If a person touches a dog or a dog touches him, that does not mean that he has to purify himself, whether with soil or water. But if a dog drinks from his vessel, then he has to throw away the water and wash it seven times with water and the eighth time with soil, if he wants to use it. If he makes it just for the dog then he does not have to purify it. 

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The purification of the vessel of one of you, if a dog licks it, is to wash it seven times, the first time with soil.” Nararted by Muslim, 279. 

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: 

With regard to dogs, there are three views among the scholars: 

1 – That they are taahir (pure), even their saliva. This is the view of Maalik.

2 – That they are naajis (impure), even their hair. This is the view of al-Shaafa’i and is one of the two views narrated from Ahmad.

3 – Their hair is taahir but their saliva is naajis. This is the view of Abu Haneefah and of Ahmad in the other report narrated from him. 

This is the most correct view. So if the wetness of the dog’s hair gets onto one’s garment or body, that does not make it naajis. End quote. 

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 21/530. 

Elsewhere he said: 

That is because the basic principle is that substances are taahir, and it is not permissible to regard anything as naajis or haraam without evidence, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): 

“while He has explained to you in detail what is forbidden to you, except under compulsion of necessity?”

[al-An’aam 6:119] 

“And Allaah will never lead a people astray after He has guided them until He makes clear to them as to what they should avoid”

[al-Tawbah 9:115]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The purification of the vessel of one of you, if a dog licks it, is to wash it seven times, the first time with soil” – and in another hadeeth, “If a dog licks a vessel…” All of the ahaadeeth mention licking only; they do not mention any other part of the dog, regarding them as naajis is based only on analogy. 

Moreover, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) granted a concession allowing people to keep dogs for hunting, herding and farming. The one who keeps them must touch the wetness of their hair, just as happens in the case of mules, donkeys, etc. To suggest that their hair is naajis when touching them cannot be avoided could impose undue hardship, which is not what the Lawgiver intended for this ummah. 

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 21/217, 218 

To be on the safe side it is better, if a person touches a dog and there is something wet on his hand, or if there is something wet on the dog, to wash his hand seven times, one of which should be with soil. Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said: 

With regard to touching this dog, if there is no wetness then it does not make the hand naajis, but if he touches it and there is any wetness, then this means that the hand becomes naajis according to the view of many scholars, and the hand must be washed after that seven times, one of which should be with soil. End quote.

Conclusion:

It is not permissible to keep dogs except for hunting or guarding livestock and crops, and it is permissible to keep them for guarding houses so long as that is outside the city and that there is no other means of guarding the house. The Muslim should not imitate the kuffaar by running with the dog or touching its mouth and kissing it, which causes many diseases.

for this pure and perfect sharee’ah, which came to set people’s spiritual and worldly affairs straight, but most people do not realize.

And Allaah knows best.

http://en.mugtama.com/youth/item/13589-keeping-a-dog-touching-it-and-kissing-it.html

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by theFilmtric: 12:48am On Nov 20, 2020
theFilmtricsay

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by Rashduct4luv(m): 8:21am On Nov 20, 2020
Na'am, no rearing of dogs but cats! And it is forbidden to sell/eat both!
Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by aleeyus(m): 9:31am On Nov 20, 2020
UncleSnr:
Come oh, why was the dog created and domesticated then?
If you tell me that Allah didn't create dogs for domestication, then you are saying that Allah doesn't know that dogs will be domesticated in the future.
Islam for Muslims

Wetin concern you with their thread?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by UncleSnr(m): 9:32am On Nov 20, 2020
Come oh, why was the dog created and domesticated then?
If you tell me that Allah didn't create dogs for domestication, then you are saying that Allah doesn't know that dogs will be domesticated in the future.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by THMT: 9:34am On Nov 20, 2020
Rich Muslims have dogs as pets. Muslims in Arab countries also have dogs as pet, I have a friend in Egypt and her job is to take care the dogs of her Arab Muslim friends dogs so forget all this laws which are meant for the poor Muslims in my opinion. The Arab Muslims pay good money for the upkeep of their dogs and also sleep on same bed with their pet dogs.

You are free to practice what ever rocks your boat but this should never be written, imposed or made to look like reality.
Peace and love to all on earth.

73 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by doffman: 9:34am On Nov 20, 2020
Islam touches every aspect of life ... So happy to be a Muslim.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by UncleSnr(m): 9:36am On Nov 20, 2020
aleeyus:

Islam for Muslims

Wetin concern you with their thread?
On a public platform?

52 Likes

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by sunshineV(f): 9:37am On Nov 20, 2020
doffman:
ruling on keep tiger as pet nko?

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by THMT: 9:37am On Nov 20, 2020
Rich Muslims have dogs as pets. Muslims in Arab countries also have dogs as pet, I have a friend in Egypt and her job is to take care the dogs of her Arab Muslim friends dogs so forget all this laws which are meant for the poor Muslims in my opinion. The Arab Muslims pay good money for the upkeep of their dogs and also sleep on same bed with their pet dogs.

You are free to practice what ever rocks your boat but this should never be written, imposed or made to look like reality.

17 Likes

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by UncleSnr(m): 9:38am On Nov 20, 2020
THMT:
Rich Muslims have dogs as pets. Muslims in Arab countries nowhave dogs as pet, I have a friend in Egypt and her job is to take care of her the dogs of her Arab Muslim dogs so forget all this laws which are meant for the poor Muslims in my opinion.

Thank you for this, you know, if you have never tasted another person's food, you will think that your mom's is the sweetest.

22 Likes

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by Dadddy8: 9:39am On Nov 20, 2020
But quran permit to use dog as guide

2 Likes

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by Obito555(m): 9:46am On Nov 20, 2020
Have seen some Hausas who keeps dog for hurting but I wonder if they keeps all the rules that goes with it

2 Likes

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by Akshow: 9:49am On Nov 20, 2020
Islam forbids keeping of dog?

The question for any logical and discerning mind is: Who will then take care of dogs?
This islamic god is very hard to please honestly.

21 Likes

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by Uhtred(m): 9:50am On Nov 20, 2020
I'm a Muslim and I have not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 adult dogs as PETS. I do not believe 1 or 2 Qirats of my Hasanaats be deducted just for keeping creations of Allah at home.

Allah knows best.

35 Likes

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by Akshow: 9:51am On Nov 20, 2020
Oizatobad:
RELIGION IS A VIRUS TO THE HUMANITY, KNIFE ATTACK BOMB ATTACK BEHEADING EVERYWHERE UNDER RELIGION_ ____ANIMALS IDEAS BETTER THAN YOURS IDEA

My brother, the things religious people belief and follow baffles me. Religion is the worse thing that has happened to humanity. How sensible and sane people still fall for this scam is beyond me.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by JAMO84: 9:55am On Nov 20, 2020
Godchosen001:
Is there no any rulings on forcefully marrying underage girls.
Disregard the swearing on my profile ,I'm not a Muslim and I'll never be one

What op posted is for the poor, you can see the pic below of how pet looks good with Muslim ladies
Who invites you to Islam? Mr Shalaye.

1 Like

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by JAMO84: 9:57am On Nov 20, 2020
Akshow:
Islam forbids keeping of dog?

The question for any logical and discerning mind is: Who will then take care of dogs?
This islamic god is very hard to please honestly.
Who's taking care of other animals in the jungle?

3 Likes

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by jamiudarex(m): 9:58am On Nov 20, 2020
sunshineV:
ruling on keep tiger as pet nko?
you know well grin

1 Like

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by ArewaHero(m): 9:59am On Nov 20, 2020
Godchosen001:
Is there no any rulings on forcefully marrying underage girls.
Disregard the swearing on my profile ,I'm not a Muslim and I'll never be one

What op posted is for the poor, you can see the pic below of how pet looks good with Muslim ladies
so obsessed with our Religion ,that means Islam is fast spreading with ultimate SPEED

cheesy
Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by jamiudarex(m): 10:00am On Nov 20, 2020
JAMO84:
Who invites you to Islam? Mr Shalaye.
some people won't mind there biz smh grin

2 Likes

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by marvin906(m): 10:02am On Nov 20, 2020
Patiently waiting for rulings on doggy style

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by complexBoss12: 10:02am On Nov 20, 2020
dogs are lovely creatures

1 Like

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by Amspecial: 10:03am On Nov 20, 2020
grin

1 Like

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by Ebenezer2021(m): 10:04am On Nov 20, 2020
doffman:
so happy to be a part of a religion that has almost destroyed this country and the world at large?
So you're proud to have Shekau and ISIS as your "brethren in the lord"

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by Uzomacharles: 10:04am On Nov 20, 2020
Why did Allah create the dog?

6 Likes

Re: Islamic Ruling On Keeping Dogs by seunak2016: 10:07am On Nov 20, 2020
am a Christian, forget that swearing stuff

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do You Cope With Polygamy? / Haruna Akinola Dies At 80 (Chief Imam Of Lagos) / What Are The Defects That Must Be Disclosed To A Potential Marriage Partner?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.