Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,209 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:59 PM

Jonathan: Why I Did Not Attend Presidential Debate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan: Why I Did Not Attend Presidential Debate (2632 Views)

Real Reason Why Buhari Can't Attend Presidential Debate / Buhari Boycotts Presidential Debate / Gusau Did Not Attend Katsina College With Buhari – Fani-Kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan: Why I Did Not Attend Presidential Debate by oolumide: 12:16am On Mar 19, 2011
Why I didn’t attend NN24 presidential debate ––Jonathan
From GODWIN TSA, Abuja
Saturday, March 19, 2011

Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday adduced reason he did not participate in the presidential debate organised by the NN24, a channel on DSTV. The debate held, in Abuja yesterday.
In a statement by the Jonathan/Sambo Campaign Organisation, signed by Mr. Ide Eguabor, director of media/publicity, the president said that he opted out of the debate because he had accepted to attend the one organized by the Nigerian Election Debate Group (NEDG), an amalgamation of the Nigeria’s mass media, the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria (NPAN), the Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria (BON), the Nigeria Bar Association, National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), market women and other civil society groups, which has been organising the presidential debate series since 1999.

The campaign organization said that with what the NEDG has done, over the years, in organizing presidential debate, it “does not believe that this relevant and credible body, made up of Nigerians and who will moderate a presidential debate watched by Nigerians on all television and radio stations nationwide should be jettisoned for any other one on the eve of crucial national elections.”

While expressing regrets that he could not attend the NN24 presidential debate, the group said that Jonathan, “who has a carefully drawn out schedule leading up to the elections will not be able to cancel any of his appointments now to attend to a debate that is only the result of a fresh application.”
The statement said: “The Jonathan/Sambo Campaign Organisation has watched with utter consternation, efforts by some individuals and groups to feed the Nigerian public with inaccurate and distorted information to suit their selfish ends.

“A presidential debate to be organised by the management of NN24, a subscriber to Multichoice’s DSTV cable, is deliberately being heated up by those who now see what the president will do or will not do as an opportunity for political capital.
“The truth of the matter is that several applications from various groups, including that of NN24, have reached the Jonathan/Sambo Campaign Organisation seeking to organise the presidential debate, preparatory to the April general elections.

“The campaign organization sent its officials to sit as observers at some of the meetings called to deliberate on modalities. However, after a thorough examination of the reports of its observers to these meetings, a collective decision was taken to retain the body that had organized presidential debates since 1999 and has performed creditably well and so, saw no need to discard the platform and template for another.

“The fact is that, the Nigerian Election Debate Group (NEDG), organisers of the presidential debate series, is an amalgamation of the Nigeria’s mass media, print and electronic, the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria (NPAN), the Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria (BON), the Nigeria Bar Association, National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), market women and other civil society groups.
“The Jonathan/Sambo Campaign Organisation does not believe that this relevant and credible body, made up of Nigerians and who will moderate a presidential debate watched by Nigerians on all television and radio stations nationwide should be jettisoned for any other on the eve of crucial national elections.
“Furthermore, President Goodluck Jonathan who has a carefully drawn out schedule leading up to the elections will not be able to cancel any of his appointments now to attend to a debate that is only the result of a fresh application.
“Having only just concluded his tour of the 36 states of Nigeria, President Jonathan has a hectic schedule ahead before the grand finale of the state campaigns at Abuja on March 26, 2011.
“The Jonathan/Sambo Campaign Organisation regrets that President Goodluck Jonathan will unavoidably be unable to attend the debate organised by NN24.
Re: Jonathan: Why I Did Not Attend Presidential Debate by Nobody: 12:28am On Mar 19, 2011
Thanks for the clarification Mr President. The REAL debate is the one organised by the professionals, not these JJCs at NN24.
Re: Jonathan: Why I Did Not Attend Presidential Debate by Pharoh: 12:33am On Mar 19, 2011
This is the real debate which everyone has to look up to and not some station broadcasting on cable only.
Re: Jonathan: Why I Did Not Attend Presidential Debate by kokoA(m): 12:44am On Mar 19, 2011
This staement makes no sense. He chickened out and we saw that clearly. There is no organization in Nigeria with the monopoly of organizing presidential debates.
Re: Jonathan: Why I Did Not Attend Presidential Debate by naijaking1: 12:44am On Mar 19, 2011
What in god's name is nn24?
Some sort of TV organizing debates for Hausa candidates, the winner of which becomes the President of Nigeria
Re: Jonathan: Why I Did Not Attend Presidential Debate by airmark(m): 5:17pm On Mar 19, 2011
kokoA:

This staement makes no sense. He chickened out and we saw that clearly. There is no organization in Nigeria with the monopoly of organizing presidential debates.

@kokoA, when are you going to hold your own presidential debate ? grin NN24 ko, NN48 ni.
Re: Jonathan: Why I Did Not Attend Presidential Debate by yeswecan(m): 5:36pm On Mar 19, 2011
Jonathan is scared if not i see no reason why he should be selective - a presidential aspirant should take all and any opportunity given to talk about his programs. very disappointed in him and his wife.
Re: Jonathan: Why I Did Not Attend Presidential Debate by Akainzo(m): 12:02am On Mar 20, 2011
oolumide:

In a statement by the Jonathan/Sambo Campaign Organisation, signed by Mr. Ide Eguabor, director of media/publicity, the president said that he opted out of the debate because he had accepted to attend the one organized by the Nigerian Election Debate Group (NEDG), an amalgamation of the Nigeria’s mass media, the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria (NPAN), the Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria (BON), the Nigeria Bar Association, National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), market women and other civil society groups, which has been organising the presidential debate series since 1999.

The campaign organization said that with what the NEDG has done, over the years, in organizing presidential debate, it “does not believe that this relevant and credible body, made up of Nigerians and who will moderate a presidential debate watched by Nigerians on all television and radio stations nationwide should be jettisoned for any other one on the eve of crucial national elections.”

Sorry to say this: Mr President, you lied!

The NEDG has not organised a single presidential debate in the history of Nigeria. From OBJ's time till now, PDP have refused to attend any proposed debate and thus the initiative have always collapsed. This is the first time there is an actual Presidential Debate. If Goodluck's camp can produce any reference to an elaction debate in Nigeria organised by NEDG, I will mobilise 20 people to at least vote for him.
Re: Jonathan: Why I Did Not Attend Presidential Debate by CyberG: 5:31am On Mar 20, 2011
Pinhead "president". . .he cannot debate without leaked questions and the correct answers all typed and readied for him. . .LOL

(1) (Reply)

Yorubas Are The Problem In Nigeria - Sanusi / Atiku, Amaechi & 8 Northern Governors Adopt Touch Light As PDM Logo / Meet The Guy Who Will Still Be A Minister In Buhari's Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.