Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,238 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:26 AM

FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% (51168 Views)

N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy / China Begins Export Of Second Hand Cars To Nigeria / Automobile Workers Kick Against FG Move To Slash Vehicles Duty To 10% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by dfrost: 12:37pm On Nov 22, 2020

Greek gift? We will soon know.

1 Like

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Munzy14(m): 12:38pm On Nov 22, 2020
Officialgarri:
This is like telling Innosson to go to hell.

Innosson products are less affordable. But can we blame him ? I think NO.
The cost of producing raw materials in Nigeria is not cheap not only because of limited technological know-how but because we are solving problems upwards to the ground instead of the other way round.

What do I mean? If there are enough automotive spare parts production industries in Nigeria despite our abundance of iron family (lead and zinc) , then the problem of monopoly and inflation will be solved on it's own.

The government on her part will not continue to wait for Innosson to bring down their prices
Innoson placed his products above average.
I keep advising colleagues, if your products is not affordable for the rich and below, then u are not doing business.

I saw one of his salon cars he placed on 5M.
But that 5m can get one two clean toyota spiders from Outside with huge balance after clearing.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Polaris1: 12:38pm On Nov 22, 2020
Good.
Next should be Improving the bad roads.
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Splitmind: 12:39pm On Nov 22, 2020
Yenefer:
Sai Baba. Buhari havr to rebuild Nigeria all over again after years of PDP destruction.
Innoson motors? Who cares. We don't

I tell you Sai Baba forever!

Because of Buhari we are living better than Dubai.

Fuel is just 40 naira/litre.

There is 24/7 electricity in every local government.

Roads are like those of Amsterdam.

You can leave a million naira at a bus stop and no one will take it because we are so secure in this country.

All thanks to Buhari cool.

4 Likes

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by BuddhaPalm(m): 12:39pm On Nov 22, 2020
Simplyleo:
As usual, we are always the target.

They want to kill IVM.

Increase import duties: The govt is insensitive to the plight of the masses.

Decrease import duties: the govt want to kill IVM.

Very funny pipu.

70% on imported vehicles is ridiculous.

With this reduction, you'll still be paying 35% + 10%.

No be my force to buy Innoson.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Yadid(m): 12:39pm On Nov 22, 2020
Hmmnnn levy reduction will most likely lead to a reduction in the price of imported vehicles. That will in turn make vehicles more cheap and affordable for citizens. As vehicle owners increase in the country, fuel consumption increases which leads to more sale of PMS and other benefits economically. Simple stuff.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Unrated900(m): 12:39pm On Nov 22, 2020
Simplyleo:
As usual, we are always the target.

They want to kill IVM.

Increase import duties: The govt is insensitive to the plight of the masses.

Decrease import duties: the govt want to kill IVM.

Very funny pipu.

Why are you people the target
Are you people the only tribe in Nigeria niiii

1 Like

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by xjiggy: 12:40pm On Nov 22, 2020
Those shouting they want to kill IVM, is IVM vehicles affordable? Even with the high rate for clearing vehicles, it's cheaper to get a fairly used Lexus es 350 with low mileage than by a saloon car from IVM. IVM vehicles cannot be competing with brand new Toyota and Honda cars and expect to sell. If IVM wants to succeed, they should go into the production of tricycles and mini buses. Something that's affordable for the masses. The Chinese mastered this act decades ago and still apply it today. The best midrange phones are made by the Chinese. Not because the cannot make top notch phones but because they're targeting a wider audience. IVM should know most Nigerians will not buy their SUV for 9 million when they can get a clean Tokunbo 2015 highlander for same price.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by 2cribz: 12:40pm On Nov 22, 2020
Hahahahaha,now we go dey see corrolla for 1.5m, 4matic for 2.5m,and the rest them. Lexus es,rx prices bout to drop. Hahahahahha. Venza go enter 3m...
Hahahahahahaha
The end iz here. All those greedy car dealers go begin frown now. Hahahahahahaha

13 Likes

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by TinubuGoQuench(f): 12:40pm On Nov 22, 2020
ethicallyright:
The over hyped car assembler, loan defaulter and tax fraud disguising as an automobile manufacturer needs to begin an overhaul in his moving coffins packaging company.

He may begin by employing a brain filled cone head individual and intelligent innovator like myself to champion electric cars production which is clearly the future.
He should also stop dashing Big Brother Naija's women of easy virtue vehicles they keep as furniture at home and instead drive the Mercedes their "fans " gift them and invest more in Corporate Social Responsibilities like sponsoring brilliant minds to Universities in Europe , China and North America to aid technology transfer that will help his firm grow.

Jokes aside, local automobile manufacturers should target individuals with low income who would most likely purchase vehicles for full time or part time transportation business to increase their income. In a country where people laugh at you for using a brand new current Infinix instead of a second hand iPhone 6 in 2020, it is funny to think that middle income or high income earners would buy a locally produced car for the price they can get a decent Toyota, Mercedes or Lexus.

Produce more fine tricycles , mini buses and partner with hire purchase companies to sell and distribute them to your target consumers who do not drive vehicles for clout. There is a huge potential here. Lagos State and every other State yet to ban commercial motorcycles completely have waiting consumers for such vehicles.

SHUT UP!!!
NA RUBBISH U DEY YARN
SENSELESS REASONING
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Fuckjesusandgod: 12:40pm On Nov 22, 2020
ethicallyright:
The over hyped car assembler, loan defaulter and tax fraud disguising as an automobile manufacturer needs to begin an overhaul in his moving coffins packaging company.

He may begin by employing a brain filled cone head individual and intelligent innovator like myself to champion electric cars production which is clearly the future.
He should also stop dashing Big Brother Naija's women of easy virtue vehicles they keep as furniture at home and instead drive the Mercedes their "fans " gift them and invest more in Corporate Social Responsibilities like sponsoring brilliant minds to Universities in Europe , China and North America to aid technology transfer that will help his firm grow.

Jokes aside, local automobile manufacturers should target individuals with low income who would most likely purchase vehicles for full time or part time transportation business to increase their income. In a country where people laugh at you for using a brand new current Infinix instead of a second hand iPhone 6 in 2020, it is funny to think that middle income or high income earners would buy a locally produced car for the price they can get a decent Toyota, Mercedes or Lexus.

Produce more fine tricycles , mini buses and partner with hire purchase companies to sell and distribute them to your target consumers who do not drive vehicles for clout. There is a huge potential here. Lagos State and every other State yet to ban commercial motorcycles completely have waiting consumers for such vehicles.

very apt, respect!

1 Like

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Justdare: 12:41pm On Nov 22, 2020
omenka:

How do you people's minds work exactly. Gosh! embarassed

In my almost 30 years in business, I have daily asked the same question and still hoping for an answer.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by leonard002(m): 12:41pm On Nov 22, 2020
Very good. Car price will come down significantly.

1 Like

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by BuddhaPalm(m): 12:41pm On Nov 22, 2020
heed101:
Those shouting that they want to kill lVM, how many IVM can you count in your area or on our roads? IVM can carve a niche of producing luxury cars and the rich will patronize him.

I dont think the material cost incurred can make IVM produce affordable cars.

Govt reducing import duties is a welcome development. It will boost our ports activities and more jobs would be created. Consumption of fuel will be increased and create more revenue to the Govt.

What about spare part market that has been dwindling due to low demand of spare parts? A new shift will come into the market.

Good development I must say.

More people will also drive safer cars.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Nobody: 12:41pm On Nov 22, 2020
Check out my new instagram account @cozyfops. It's all about wears. Always look good as you follow @cozyfops
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by FUSS: 12:42pm On Nov 22, 2020
OK oh! But what would have benefited the common man more is removing ban on importation of rice or food and not cars.

1 Like

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Attit: 12:42pm On Nov 22, 2020
I'm not a fan of Buhari, and I do not think its targeted at Innosson. Govt must just find a way to increase revenue by all means to get out of recession. The only issue is that corruption is still there. If they remove it, let them bring import tax to zero %, reasonable number of people will still go for Innoson cos the economy will favor it too to make better vehicles.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Nobody: 12:42pm On Nov 22, 2020
Better... More people will be able to afford cars instead of relying on the public transport.

It would also increase government revenue cos people won't bypass Lagos port... This is a welcome idea!
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by symbianDON(m): 12:44pm On Nov 22, 2020
this is a welcome decision if it sails through. it will crash the unreasonable astronomical prices of tokunbo cars. imagine buying a 10 year old toks car for 3m! at the same time, it will cause local car assemblies and manufacturers to up their games and become more innovative in sourcing their raw materials.

1 Like

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Attit: 12:45pm On Nov 22, 2020
BuddhaPalm:

My guy 70% on imported vehicles is ridiculous.

With this reduction, you'll still be paying 35% + 10%.

No be my force to buy Innoson.
Please how is it 35% + 10%? Could you explain further?

1 Like

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Rugaria: 12:45pm On Nov 22, 2020
OneTemplate:

She is right and you are an ethnocentric Igbo bigot unable to see the big picture and only interested in what benefits Igbo individual rather than what is in the interest of millions of Nigerians in the biggest black nation on Earth.

Nigeria must take drastic steps to secure locally innovated and home-driven economic growth post covid socio-economic devastation because all other nations of the world will be too busy trying to spark their own economy to life to even be interested in helping us.

Put your bigotry aside for a second if you can. Innoson should respond and slash price to compete or get out of the way. Any truthful Nigerian businessman will tell you it is criminal for bulk head articulated lorries to continue charging in excess of 400k to transport goods from Lagos to even Minna simply because owners of these lorries paid huge duties to import them and accordingly need to recoup their capital outlay.

Crash the price and watch competition fashion a truly competitive transport and haulage sector that will help many businesses grow and thus aid the economic progress of Nigeria.

Haulage costs are high because of bad roads, high cost of pms and the unbelievable delays at the ports! Has little to do with the cost of importing bulk head which can be defraid with just 5 to 6 business trips from say Lagos to Onitsha! It cost over a million naira to transport a container from Lagos to the east! It was lower by more than half to do so about 6 years ago with the same duty quotation on bulk heads! So What changed? Naira depreciation, fuel hikes, rising cost of other services related to the haulage business and of course bad roads! Not that I'm praying for bad results but may God keep us alive, if there are no significant changes on these areas, I will be here to remind folks like you on how you turned Nigeria into a dumping ground for used vehicles while not really making any dent on costs of transportation!

This policy is mainly targeted at family cars like sedan and SUVs. How many bulk heads are imported on daily basis and if there is an urgent need to reduce the charges on bulk heads, can't that be done without a blanket policy that destroys local ability to manufacture other brands of vehicle? You rant and rail about those posting with tribal motives, yet you haven't been able to explain to us why you support total ban on the importation of rice while not supporting any sort of ban on cars! We are waiting..

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by pacespot(m): 12:45pm On Nov 22, 2020
Now it remains to be seen if those greed custom agents will be in full compliance of this new bill, and their illegal extortion must be stopped. These are the major reasons why the costs of production and prices of goods are so high in the country.
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 22, 2020
Rugaria:

I don't like made in Nigeria rice. Lots of stones. So why am I being forced to eat that with the closure of the borders? How can you support the ban on imported rice, a staple food eaten by Nigerians daily but become happy with the liberalisation of car imports? What changed!? Impport bans on rice makes an essential, very costly, while reduced charges on car imports, makes a not so essential product cheaper... The problem with you guys is that you all start off by projecting your rabid tribalism on others. The only good thing in this policy is that Abuja politicians will have more money to spend. Otherwise any critical mind will know that this policy automatically makes Nigeria the dumping ground of used cars in the world. You are going to buys cars. Many cars. But it's still tokumbos used elsewhere. Capital flight with streets and highway littered with broken down caterpillars and lorries. Why bother explaining to you guys? You will always see it from your normal tortured lenses..

Factual

1 Like

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by einsteine(m): 12:46pm On Nov 22, 2020
primestreams:
In a sane country company like innoson would have been supported by the government to start producing military equipment and weapons

We might even start exporting

But Africa will always be Africa

Proforce, a Nigerian company, produces vehicles for the Nigerian military. Innoson's biggest customer is currently the Nigerian government.

I might also add that blackmail and blame games are Innoson's top marketing strategies.

6 Likes

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 22, 2020
Munzy14:

Innoson placed his products above average.
I keep advising colleagues, if your products is not affordable for the rich and below, then u are not doing business.

I saw one of his salon cars he placed on 5M.
But that 5m can get one two clean toyota spiders from Outside with huge balance after clearing.

Don't mind that one. He has turned it to a tribal affair.

How many of Innoson's vehicle are affordable? Should they make a policy affecting 200 million people because of 1 man?

When you tell people this, they talk about Dangote and how govt banned cement importation but they forgot we always had several competent cement manufacturers like Ibeto Industries (Igbo), Lafarge, Dangote and even PureChem.

The auto industry is suffering and cars are not affordable... That's the fact. Majority of Nigerians rely on used imported vehicles for cost and durability.

5 Likes

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by ggood: 12:47pm On Nov 22, 2020
Good development at least we can now buy car in peace and at cheaper rate, Fg Niger Delta need thier own working Sea port from Niger Delta region to Lagos is too far. how can I stay in Portharcourt, Calabar, Uyo and I transport myself to Lagos just clear my container meanwhile we have Atlanta ocean very close to us
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Badonasty(m): 12:48pm On Nov 22, 2020
lol.... people are funny sha......how many of the people defending Innosson have actually been in an Innosson vehicle before not to even talk have buying it....in this Lagos wey we dey i have two friends that bought brand new IVM and they are even yoruba guys....the first guy that bought it recommended it to us and like play like play another of our friend bought a brand new IVM.... its just the mentality of Nigerians that foreign products are always better and we like forming big men...like someone that said people using london used iphone feel more superior than peeps that bought brand new tecno or infinix

5 Likes

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by poiZon: 12:49pm On Nov 22, 2020
High-cost of transportation isn't solely cause by import duties but by the high cost of fuel.
Bad roads, insecurity etc.
When a transporter knows that the cost of ferrying 8passengers to and from Uyo to Abuja initially costing 5k at time frame of 8hrs with fuel consumption of 35litres has increased then they have to increase their fate to still be in business.
Even if I buy a car at 200k against 600k, what will keep me in business is the cost of fueling the car, the road am plying and the security provided by the state and also the levies each union are getting, these factors determine the prices of goods and services in the country not what happens in the port of entry.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by showafrica(m): 12:50pm On Nov 22, 2020
ogododo:

https://www.thecable.ng/no-more-35-fg-to-slash-levy-on-imported-cars-to-5/amp

Pls. Someone should explain in a laymans language. Does this news mean that those cars Amdman is bringing for 1.7m can now come with 1m?

1 Like

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by saajus: 12:51pm On Nov 22, 2020
You are right. Necessity is the mother of invention. Innoson should task its R&grin development on how to bring down their prices and compete. This Govt is not ready to help local manufactures. I know FG is targeting Benin Rep. Benin Rep economy is built on Nigeria. Unfortunately, they are not helping us at all.

Rugaria:
That will bring more revenue to Nigerias government because it will kill the car importation business through cotonou. But at the same time, it may mark the end of our growing automobile industry. The likes of innoson should worry. Government has chosen more money over greater technology transfers here. Obviously, the government is really cash strapped. Benin republic rakes in billions from Nigerians through the many cars going towards Nigeria that are cleared at her ports every year. It may also improve the quality and models of cars driven in Nigeria. You will be surprised that in relative terms, folks in cotonou drive more recent models of cars than Nigerians. Nigerians have to drive older models because importers pay lesser duties on those, thereby standing a better chance of making more profits... Problem is that the accrued revenue will ultimately disappear into private hands or end up being used to biuld up Niger republic..

2 Likes

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by chidexleo: 12:52pm On Nov 22, 2020
Buhari you are the man. Thank you.

I have always known that you mean well for Nigeria

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? / How Reliable Is Peugeot 607? / 6 Lies Nigerian Car Dealers Tell Prospective Buyers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.