Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% (51172 Views)

N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy / China Begins Export Of Second Hand Cars To Nigeria / Automobile Workers Kick Against FG Move To Slash Vehicles Duty To 10% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by GreaterFuture(m): 1:14pm On Nov 22, 2020
ogododo:
Dem must return my 30% for Toyota corolla
Lalasticlala
Lol
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by yusufu16: 1:14pm On Nov 22, 2020
Pravedk:
To be honest. This is long overdue. Most Nigerians prefer tokunbo to these things innosson is producing-which is expensive.
How will I have 22million and buy that gwagon copy when the good original tokunbo is around that price. Dem swear for me? So tey camry come dey expensive.

The truth is, toyota, benz,bmw etc are way ahead. Competing with them is a looser strategy. But every car manufacturer have a niche which when pursued will be profitable. Innosson can focus on keke and minivan, minitruck, pickups and buses, which the government and keep patronising. And for God's sake if someone has money let him buy whatever type of car he/she wants. Good policy reversal abeg!
Now I can focus on more Hussle to buy an E63 AMG like a real niggar

Innoson should have started with keke or bicycle.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by SmartPolician: 1:14pm On Nov 22, 2020
omenka:
Na wa ooooo!!!

We complain everyday about how difficult it is doing business due to the burden of tax, duties and levies imposed by the government. Now they say they wanna slash levy and someone thinks IT IS TARGETED AT INNOSON.

Isn't this a normal economic incentive deployed by governments around the world to help boost commerce and stimulate the economy? Why do we always have to bring everything down to tribe and religion in this country?

How do you people's minds work exactly. Gosh! embarassed

Can you ever make a reasonable comment without directing it at those people?

1 Like

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Rugaria: 1:15pm On Nov 22, 2020
TruthinAction:
Na car we go chop? Bag of rice rose from 9,000 naira to about 35,000 naira in the five years of this government. One sachet of tomatoe paste is now 150 naira from 50 naira in Port Harcourt. Open the borders and let food come in. It will bring down the price of every food items and the low income earners can cope.
How can a presumably important country prioritize the importance of used cars over staple edibles like rice tomatoes and onions!? Is there anything I'm missing?

1 Like

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by fatboislim(m): 1:15pm On Nov 22, 2020
Govt should also waive import duties on renewable energy. That way we can power our homes with solar or wind energy.

1 Like

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Rugaria: 1:16pm On Nov 22, 2020
yusufu16:

Innoson should have started with keke or bicycle.
I give up! Bye bye thread!

1 Like

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by richmanrichard: 1:17pm On Nov 22, 2020
ogododo:

https://www.thecable.ng/no-more-35-fg-to-slash-levy-on-imported-cars-to-5/amp
fools! Una eyes never clear finish. Una go still reduce the tax of companies operating in nigeria especially lagos.You drove out many companies out of lagos n nigeria with your stupidity.sai bubu
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by tugrow(m): 1:17pm On Nov 22, 2020
Make them sha start am
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by pacespot(m): 1:18pm On Nov 22, 2020
Rugaria:

Ok ooo
More cars on bad roads with high costs of fuel and of course lost revenue and jobs from car assembly plants... Let's see how it goes..

How many people employed by car making plants in Nigeria today compared to a lot of businesses that cheaper cars will help in the country?

1 Like

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by BreconHills(m): 1:18pm On Nov 22, 2020
omenka:
Na wa ooooo!!!

We complain everyday about how difficult it is doing business due to the burden of tax, duties and levies imposed by the government. Now they say they wanna slash levy and someone thinks IT IS TARGETED AT INNOSON.

Isn't this a normal economic incentive deployed by governments around the world to help boost commerce and stimulate the economy? Why do we always have to bring everything down to tribe and religion in this country?

How do you people's minds work exactly. Gosh! embarassed

It is incredible how people think. IVM is not the only indigenous car assembly coy in Nigeria. High taxes cascade to high prices for everyone.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by miketayo(m): 1:18pm On Nov 22, 2020
Officialgarri:
This is like telling Innosson to go to hell.

Innosson products are less affordable. But can we blame him ? I think NO.
The cost of producing raw materials in Nigeria is not cheap not only because of limited technological know-how but because we are solving problems upwards to the ground instead of the other way round.

What do I mean? If there are enough automotive spare parts production industries in Nigeria despite our abundance of iron family (lead and zinc) , then the problem of monopoly and inflation will be solved on it's own.

The government on her part will not continue to wait for Innosson to bring down their prices

innoson is making high end SUV's, competing with the land cruisers and range rovers, even if u have 15-20 to spend on a car u would rather buy to range rover than a brand new IVM.
let him make cheaper corolla, civic, city level(mass production) type of cars
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Nobody: 1:19pm On Nov 22, 2020
Inconsistent policies means they don't know what they're doing.
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Rugaria: 1:20pm On Nov 22, 2020
pacespot:

How many people employed by car making plants in Nigeria today compared to a lot of businesses that cheaper cars will help in the country?
This policy will be popular with the people because everyone wants to buy new cars, but in the long run, it will prove damaging to the economy..
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Tango123: 1:22pm On Nov 22, 2020
After going tru some of the childish comments by tribalists who see nothing but tribe, and support bad policy decisions simply because they think it affects one man in a hated tribe, all i have to say is

NIGERIANS INDEED DESERVE THE TYPE OF LEADERS THEY HAVE.

U cannot expect to have a developed economy when all u see is tribe

U canmot have good leaders when all you do is hate some tribes

You cannot have good hospitals and roads when all you do is hate

You cannot expect inflation to come down when you do not understand the principle of trade deficit and capital flight, and then u hate.

Youncannot expect to habe less accidents on our roads when all you do is hate and then buy cars that have been written off road in developed nations

7 Likes

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by HIPROFILE(m): 1:22pm On Nov 22, 2020
This government never disappoint.

So they dont know the cause of high transport charges and inflation of food items

Ooh my God! What kind of people is this

So fuel hike does not have anything to do with high transport cost which directly affects the prices of food items.

Why are these people idiots!

1 Like

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by farouk2much(m): 1:26pm On Nov 22, 2020
as a northerner, this news sweet me die. Now (i.v.m) don die be dat... This is the reason why apc try hard to get at least one govno igbo zoon. Umahi you'ar welcome.. We go use umahi to completly destroy that zoon. Innoson rest in hell
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by simhosting: 1:29pm On Nov 22, 2020
Time to sell my cars
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Netflixng(m): 1:29pm On Nov 22, 2020
They want to bribe uw
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Nobody: 1:30pm On Nov 22, 2020
Slash from 5% to 35%? What TF does that even mean?
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Nobody: 1:32pm On Nov 22, 2020
Exactly, equilibrium will be attained on its own, your quite right man

Officialgarri:
This is like telling Innosson to go to hell.

Innosson products are less affordable. But can we blame him ? I think NO.
The cost of producing raw materials in Nigeria is not cheap not only because of limited technological know-how but because we are solving problems upwards to the ground instead of the other way round.

What do I mean? If there are enough automotive spare parts production industries in Nigeria despite our abundance of iron family (lead and zinc) , then the problem of monopoly and inflation will be solved on it's own.

The government on her part will not continue to wait for Innosson to bring down their prices
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by pacespot(m): 1:33pm On Nov 22, 2020
OneTemplate:

Abi. Igbos are simply irredeemable. I have always said no nation can make progress hosting enemies-within and saboteurs with persecution complex most Igbos are.

This is purely a logical economic decision any pragmatic Nigerian businessman, needing to transport goods across Nigeria, would understand, support and laud.

Haulage cost actually even does a huge disservice to food transport and, ultimately, food security across Nigeria.

This is because of the huge duties levied on the importation of commercial vehicles, lorries, vans and articulated heads that discourages many investing in this sector thereby leaving it uncompetitive and very costly for end users.

Trust Igbos to always make everything about themselves because of an overblown sense of their own participation and worth to the Nigerian economy.

I'm tired of these people o, why must everything be about them? Innoson is just a one man business trying to make money of his own, who does not even control one percent of car market in the country? How is he a problem of the Federal government?

2 Likes

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by farouk2much(m): 1:33pm On Nov 22, 2020
this is the only reason i still dey like buhari.. Coz he hate those bastards called igbo... R.i.hell inno
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by GforGee: 1:35pm On Nov 22, 2020
ethicallyright:
The over hyped car assembler, loan defaulter and tax fraud disguising as an automobile manufacturer needs to begin an overhaul in his moving coffins packaging company.

He may begin by employing a brain filled cone head individual and intelligent innovator like myself to champion electric cars production which is clearly the future.
He should also stop dashing Big Brother Naija's women of easy virtue vehicles they keep as furniture at home and instead drive the Mercedes their "fans " gift them and invest more in Corporate Social Responsibilities like sponsoring brilliant minds to Universities in Europe , China and North America to aid technology transfer that will help his firm grow.

Jokes aside, local automobile manufacturers should target individuals with low income who would most likely purchase vehicles for full time or part time transportation business to increase their income. In a country where people laugh at you for using a brand new current Infinix instead of a second hand iPhone 6 in 2020, it is funny to think that middle income or high income earners would buy a locally produced car for the price they can get a decent Toyota, Mercedes or Lexus.

Produce more fine tricycles , mini buses and partner with hire purchase companies to sell and distribute them to your target consumers who do not drive vehicles for clout. There is a huge potential here. Lagos State and every other State yet to ban commercial motorcycles completely have waiting consumers for such vehicles.

I will agree with you that Innoson should do like Tecno. Make very cheap and affordable cars, then when they get their footing, they can now enter the luxurious car markets. Like you rightly said, I wouldn't leave a Toyota with better to buy an Innoson, I will even choose the Toyota if its used.
New car, low price, low spec, low cost of maintenance, it conserves fuel. Nigerians will buy it, I am very certain.

Pass the next person a crumb and a drop, and the world would be great.
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Attit: 1:35pm On Nov 22, 2020
BuddhaPalm:

Import duty is currently 35%, and there's also a 35% levy.

Reduction of this levy to 10% is what they are talking about.
OK. Thank you for the info. But do you think this still will reduce smuggling from neighboring countries?
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by fydence: 1:36pm On Nov 22, 2020
Yenefer:
Sai Baba. Buhari havr to rebuild Nigeria all over again after years of PDP destruction.
Innoson motors? Who cares. We don't
You are a fool
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Arizona1: 1:36pm On Nov 22, 2020
farouk2much:
this is the only reason i still dey like buhari.. Coz he hate those bastards called igbo... R.i.hell inno
Moderators of Nairaland, You people support hatred and promote tribalism here. If not I don't see the reason why someone that posted something like this should not be banned and this post removed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Idboyostic(m): 1:37pm On Nov 22, 2020
It's long overdue, was still discussing this with someone this morning. What are they using 35% for? Absolutely nothing but laundering!
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by bignero: 1:41pm On Nov 22, 2020
OZOnNengiTheory:
This is why I hate them and I am terrible at hiding it.

Hypocrites! that's what they are. And by the grace of God, they will never come close to ruling this country.

You're a big foool..

Your angry with people you havr never met.. You're just building cancer in your body..

I see you, that your fada has been ruling Nigeria for 60 years.. Your greatest achievement is wasting your empty life arguing on nairaland.. We see how far you've gone

2 Likes

Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Kingv(m): 1:41pm On Nov 22, 2020
Playing blind to the adverse effect of this to our local industries, this likely good policy can only favour the rich (our law makers inclusive).

As for the impact on the price of food stuff is a big lie. Reduction in Fuel price And throwing open our borders will take care of that

This government only implement policies that favour them
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by Mac2016(m): 1:42pm On Nov 22, 2020
Simplyleo:
As usual, we are always the target.

They want to kill IVM.

Increase import duties: The govt is insensitive to the plight of the masses.

Decrease import duties: the govt want to kill IVM.

Very funny pipu.
You may be right but don't always see things this way. The end target is affordability to all Nigerians, provided there's no political undertone to this. But I think the levy on importation of raw materials shd be reduced also to make Innoson viable economically. Innoson also shd adopt the best possible method to make their price competitive.
Imagine Keke NAPEP produced by Innoson costs ₦1.2m, I wonder what they are thinking.
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by pasol4real(m): 1:42pm On Nov 22, 2020
OZOnNengiTheory:
This is why I hate them and I am terrible at hiding it.

Hypocrites! that's what they are. And by the grace of God, they will never come close to ruling this country.
And you think they like you? Or who your like help?
As for igbos ruling this country that is a done deal. Nigeria will cease to exist if an Igbo person is not president by 2023
Re: FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% by duality(m): 1:42pm On Nov 22, 2020
If you are worried about Innoson motors and you don't have one, but have bought tokumbo vehicles similar to any Innoson motor design, then you are a bloody hypocrite.

When are they effecting the reduction jare.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? / 6 Lies Nigerian Car Dealers Tell Prospective Buyers / 2019 Toyota Hiace Bus Unveiled (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.