Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,942 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:42 PM

The Origins Of The Word Biafra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Origins Of The Word Biafra (1796 Views)

Is The Word Biafra A Blessing Or A Curse To SE? / DEMISTIFYING THE WORD “BIAFRA” / The Word Biafra Has Been Around Since Year 1710 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Origins Of The Word Biafra by GBTYO: 8:30am On Nov 25, 2020
The word Biafra is not of Igbo origins as widely speculated by IPOB

The word Biafra is a coinage from old Portogesse maps depicting the Bight of Guinea .

Originally it was shorthand for Bight of Marfa.

Marfa being a Portogesse coastal Outpost in modern day Cameroun.

On Portogesse maps it was depicted as Bi Marfa - which is shorthand.

The Portogesse are credited to have named several of their trading coastal outpost in West and central Africa. From Nigeria's economic hub, Lagos to Malabu to Ferdinando Po, the Portogesse named their settlements in honour of Portogese towns. Marfa being a sailing port in Portugal.

Over the years, Bight of Marfa morphed to Biafra just as Calabry turned to Calabar.

This is the true origins of the word Biafra and had nothing to do with Igbos.

Fun fact:

The Portogese Port City of Marfa was dominated by Marrano Jewish slave merchants.

Isn't it ironic that our Igbo Jews will name their country after a major Jewish slave port?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by AlexBells(m): 8:34am On Nov 25, 2020
As much as I believe in Nigeria I would want you to drop the idea of always invoking Biafra when ever you speak, Biafra ought to be celebrated because it does not just represent a country but also the right to life and freedom for all, Biafra was never a war we were proud to start but be that what it may, avoid making Biafra an Igbo thing just like the rest of Nigeria had scapegoat the Igbos any opportunity they get, the rest of the Eastern tribe stood together to fight a three year bloody war because they knew better what Biafra represented. We Igbos won't need Biafra anymore, the Era of unaccounted bloodbath is over
Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by Kestolove(m): 8:58am On Nov 25, 2020
A satanic word

1 Like

Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by GBTYO: 9:05am On Nov 25, 2020
AlexBells:
As much as I believe in Nigeria I would want you to drop the idea of always invoking Biafra when ever you speak, Biafra ought to be celebrated because it does not just represent a country but also the right to life and freedom for all, Biafra was never a war we were proud to start but be that what it may, avoid making Biafra an Igbo thing just like the rest of Nigeria had scapegoat the Igbos any opportunity they get, the rest of the Eastern tribe stood together to fight a three year bloody war because they knew better what Biafra represented. We Igbos won't need Biafra anymore, the Era of unaccounted bloodbath is over

The topic here for discussion is to clarify the true origins of the word Biafra.

2 Likes

Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by AlexBells(m): 9:07am On Nov 25, 2020
GBTYO:

The topic here for discussion is to clarify the true origins of the word Biafra.

But you stressed how it not Igbo but a Jewish port city don't you see anything wrong with that, the name Biafra was not even coined by an Igbo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by GBTYO: 9:11am On Nov 25, 2020
AlexBells:

But you stressed how it not Igbo but a Jewish port city don't you see anything wrong with that, the name Biafra was not even coined by an Igbo

My point exactly .

So why do a non sea ferring hinterland native tribe claim to have originated the word Biafra ?

And yes, Marrano Jews from Portugal specifically Marfa dominated the Portogesse slaving expeditions which Igbos were the dominating commodity.

This is the entire irony of IPOB, Biafra and Igbo slavishness to Jews.

Is this because you understand and see them as your slave masters?

1 Like

Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by AlexBells(m): 9:21am On Nov 25, 2020
GBTYO:

My point exactly .

So why do a non sea ferring hinterland native tribe claim to have originated the word Biafra ?

And yes, Marrano Jews from Portugal specifically Marfa dominated the Portogesse slaving expeditions which Igbos were the dominating commodity.

This is the entire irony of IPOB, Biafra and Igbo slavishness to Jews.

Is this because you understand and see them as your slave masters?
I don't see the reason why you should insult the Igbos but there is something I learnt from my elder brother, I'm the last born and a trouble maker whenever I have an opportunity to insult my elder brother, I don't wait to seize it, so one day my elder brother had issue with our second born, you need to see the way my first born delt with him, so later on my mother called my elder brother and told him, as an elder you have to always wear the cloak of patience, that's why you an elder.

As an Igbo, I won't return your insult on my people but I want to point out that the Igbos never claimed to own the word Biafra, but it is reserved for the Igbos if they wish to adopt the word, it is not an illegal thing to do, so many English words today was adopted from other languages but once again I wish to make it clear that unless the Igbos adopt Biafra under any guises, until then Biafra remains a Portuguese word.

And as for you calling the Igbos the hinterland dwellers, I don't have to fight about that but Arochukwu used to be the center of commerce in the region before British disrupted the Aro confedracy. Please we need peace in the Region,

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by thatsleepboy1: 9:29am On Nov 25, 2020
I heard BIAFULO grin grin grin and now bight of marfa. No Lele na. We move
Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by thatsleepboy1: 9:31am On Nov 25, 2020
Sorry o. You're speaking for yourself and not Igbos at large.

AlexBells:

1 Like

Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by AlexBells(m): 9:36am On Nov 25, 2020
thatsleepboy1:

I know the part you are concerned about, the part where I said we won't be needing Biafra anymore...We never needed Biafra, anytime we are fed up with Nigeria, we are going to go for the Republic of Igboland, with every Igboid being a province, State or Kingdom, we can have a trade agreement with our niegbours,

2 Likes

Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by AlexBells(m): 9:38am On Nov 25, 2020
thatsleepboy1:

I know the part you are concerned about, the part where I said we won't be needing Biafra anymore...We never needed Biafra, anytime we are fed up with Nigeria, we are going to go for the Republic of Igboland, with every Igboid being a province, State or Kingdom, we can have a trade relationship and agreement with our niegbours, we can also share intelligence but if the Niger Delta could not stand together then the break up into smaller countries then any of the tribe that don't want to be a country could either willingly join us or be our territory

1 Like

Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by thatsleepboy1: 9:39am On Nov 25, 2020
You've said sth tangible. More wisdom to your brains.

AlexBells:

I know the part you are concerned about, the part where I said we won't be needing Biafra anymore...We never needed Biafra, anytime we are fed up with Nigeria, we are going to go for the Republic of Igboland, with every Igboid being a province, State or Kingdom, we can have a trade relationship and agreement with our niegbours, we can also share intelligence but if the Niger Delta could not stand together then the break up into smaller countries then any of the tribe that don't want to be a country could either willingly join us or be our territory
Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by GBTYO: 10:00am On Nov 25, 2020
AlexBells:

You've confirmed what I have always known which is that Biafra is an igbo project after losing out at the center.

Aburi Accord that you use as an excuse was meant to address the centralization and forced unity decree which was a result of an Igbo military govt.

Why did the Igbos see injustice in the system only after the north seized power from them?

Not stopping there, Ojukwu even wanted to be head of state under same arrangement and cited military heriachy.

When that wasn't an option you said we should go back to regional governance which it was you that dismantled .

You then decided you will annex the Niger Delta into your biafra even though the Niger Delta was about to get their own region (Calabar Ogoja- Rivers region) before the Igbo coup of 1966 haltes it and passed the forced unification decree and centralization government .

Why is this fact always glossed over by you Igbos

2 Likes

Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by AlexBells(m): 10:10am On Nov 25, 2020
GBTYO:

You've confirmed what I have always known which is that Biafra is an igbo project after losing out at the center.

Aburi Accord that you use as an excuse was meant to address the centralization and forced unity decree which was a result of an Igbo military govt.

Why did the Igbos see injustice in the system only after the north seized power from them?

Not stopping there, Ojukwu even wanted to be head of state under same arrangement and cited military heriachy.

When that wasn't an option you said we should go back to regional governance which it was you that dismantled .

You then decided you will annex the Niger Delta into your biafra even though the Niger Delta was about to get their own region (Calabar Ogoja- Rivers region) before the Igbo coup of 1966 haltes it and passed the forced unification decree and centralization government .

Why is this fact always glossed over by you Igbos
I was not born in 1966 and as such I can't verify in circumstances therein, take history with a pinch of salt since we can't even verify the current.

You are displaying a weakness by letting Ojukwu, Ironsi, Azikiwe's decision dictate for you, you said you want a Niger Delta Republic First can you name your tribe, I guess you are Ijaw or Benin then did you consult the Other Niger Delta tribe before Anexing their territory into your Niger Delta Republic,.

I'm extending a hand of friendship to you, I'm Igbo and you said we should set things right, first we are going to revert things the way it used to be before the British arrived an independent or loosely dependent Kingdons, Tribes or Republics, things like Ijaw Kingdom, alongside an Independent Ibiobio kingdom, Benin Kingdom, Igbo Republic etc.,

We can still let the federal government attend to things like Passport, maybe army etc...But Every tribe to their tent, there won't be Niger Delta Republic because that will mean an annexation of the minority also, same crime you accused the Igbos of, if you agree with the independence of all the Niger Delta tribe then let's get working on something.

3 Likes

Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by GBTYO: 10:35am On Nov 25, 2020
[s]
AlexBells:

I was not born in 1966 and as such I can't verify in circumstances therein, take history with a pinch of salt since we can't even verify the current.

You are displaying a weakness by letting Ojukwu, Ironsi, Azikiwe's decision dictate for you, you said you want a Niger Delta Republic First can you name your tribe, I guess you are Ijaw or Benin then did you consult the Other Niger Delta tribe before Anexing their territory into your Niger Delta Republic,.

I'm extending a hand of friendship to you, I'm Igbo and you said we should set things right, first we are going to revert things the way it used to be before the British arrived an independent or loosely dependent Kingdons, Tribes or Republics, things like Ijaw Kingdom, alongside an Independent Ibiobio kingdom, Benin Kingdom, Igbo Republic etc.,

We can still let the federal government attend to things like Passport, maybe army etc...But Every tribe to their tent, there won't be Niger Delta Republic because that will mean an annexation of the minority also, same crime you accused the Igbos of, if you agree with the independence of all the Niger Delta tribe then let's get working on something.
[/s]
Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by ijawcitizen(m): 10:37am On Nov 25, 2020
In other words, the word biafra is associated with SLAVERY.

4 Likes

Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by nsiba: 10:38am On Nov 25, 2020
GBTYO:

The word Biafra is a coinage from old Portogesse maps depicting the Bight of Guinea .

The Portogesse are credited to have named several of their trading coastal outpost in West and central Africa. From Nigeria's economic hub, Lagos to Malabu to Ferdinando Po, the Portogesse named their settlements in honour of Portogese towns. Marfa being a sailing port in Portugal.

Over the years, Bight of Marfa morphed to Biafra just as Calabry turned to Calabar.

Fun fact:

The Portogese Port City of Marfa was dominated by Marrano Jewish slave merchants.

Isn't it ironic that our Igbo Jews will name their country after a major Jewish slave port?

We all know that except for IPOB rats

3 Likes

Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by AlexBells(m): 10:41am On Nov 25, 2020
GBTYO:
[s][/s]
Lol
Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by SlayerForever: 10:54am On Nov 25, 2020
(Igbo) Bia fu ha. Recorded by the Portuguese voyagers as Biafra. Simple.
Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by AlexBells(m): 10:58am On Nov 25, 2020
SlayerForever:
I admire your conspiracy theory but even at that you don't need to prove anything, if the Igbos wish to adopt Biafra it is their right, even today Igbo call the White Bekee "Asusu Bekee" which is a corruption of one of the Missionary's name, so I don't see why you need to worry about whether the world is Igbo or Not, the truth is the old Eastern region adopted it as the name for their country, period.
Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by GBTYO: 5:20pm On Nov 25, 2020
SlayerForever:

The only time Marrano Jewish slave merchants encountered Igbos was as slave commodities for sale.

The Marranos dealt directly with the House of Duke, Honesty , Henshaw and co.

Even the Arochukwu Igbo slave raiders were not allowed to trade directly with the Jewish slave merchants but rather only the Efik and coastal tribes that dealt with the Portogesse Jews.

Arochukwu were the ones hired to raid Igbo land of slaves .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by Nobody: 5:21pm On Nov 25, 2020
[s]
GBTYO:

Fun fact:

[/s]
Biafra amaka

Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by GBTYO: 5:33pm On Nov 25, 2020
imhotep:
[s][/s]
Biafra amaka

Igbos are the mutt race of Nigeria

A cum rag of Hausas and fulani , the Igbo jewess was most soughted by northern Amirs due to their insatiable libido that made them perfect as sex slaves in harems of Amirs.

This is why you Igbo Jews love race mixing.

The only real Igbo is the pygmy dwarfs of Ebonyi that originated from the Congo.

All other Igbos have been vastly improved upon by Hausa gene admixture.

This is why you support race mixing my Congolese Jewish pygmy .
Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by SlayerForever: 5:33pm On Nov 25, 2020
[s]
GBTYO:

The only time Marrano Jewish slave merchants encountered Igbos was as slave commodities for sale.

The Marranos dealt directly with the House of Duke, Honesty , Henshaw and co.

Even the Arochukwu Igbo slave raiders were not allowed to trade directly with the Jewish slave merchants but rather only the Efik and coastal tribes that dealt with the Portogesse Jews.

Arochukwu were the ones hired to raid Igbo land of slaves .

[/s]

Ode. The name Biafra predates any slave merchants.
Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by Nobody: 5:34pm On Nov 25, 2020
GBTYO:

Igbos are the mutt race of Nigeria

A cum rag of Hausas and fulani , the Igbo jewess was most soughted by northern Amirs due to their insatiable libido that made them perfect as sex slaves in harems of Amirs.

This is why you Igbo Jews love race mixing.

The only real Igbo is the pygmy dwarfs of Ebonyi that originated from the Congo.

All other Igbos have been vastly improved upon by Hausa gene admixture.

This is why you support race mixing my Congolese Jewish pygmy .
Long live race-mixing and diversity

Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by GBTYO: 5:39pm On Nov 25, 2020
imhotep:

Long live race-mixing and diversity
To further prove that the Igbo jewess is meant purely as a sex slave due to their high libido which only Awusa cuck can satisfy, the Igbo pygmy man will introduce female circumcision to help curb his mates' insatiable sexual urges and subsequent cheating .

Igbos like their Bini masters are the only tribe in the south to practice female circumcision towards curbing ashawoeism in their women.

It failed misreably as their women like the Bini can't stop whoring despite having their clits removed.
Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by Nobody: 5:49pm On Nov 25, 2020
[s]
GBTYO:

To further prove that the Igbo jewess is meant purely as a sex slave due to their high libido which only Awusa cuck can satisfy, the Igbo pygmy man will introduce female circumcision to help curb his mates' insatiable sexual urges and subsequent cheating .

Igbos like their Bini masters are the only tribe in the south to practice female circumcision towards curbing ashawoeism in their women.

It failed misreably as their women like the Bini can't stop whoring despite having their clits removed.

[/s]
Igbo amaka

Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by theFilmtric: 1:15am On Mar 11, 2021
AlexBells:

lol
I smell need of coast
But I like your wisdom
I hope we see eye to eye and bring a workable realistic concept out

theFilmtricsay
Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by AlexBells(m): 7:55am On Mar 11, 2021
theFilmtric:

lol
I smell need of coast
But I like your wisdom
I hope we see eye to eye and bring a workable realistic concept out

theFilmtricsay
If I'm talking about Igbo Province of Nigeria, there is no intention on the coast, because for now the whole coast is Nigeria coast, but I really need to defined Igboland in case Nigeria seize and we revert to a republic, we have Azumini River, which Igbo Province hope to assist Abia state government in dredging while we are still in Nigeria.

So it is not a game for a coast, it is a game for friendly neighbourhood, as regards coast, in the future you should be the one lobbying us, we are the Biggest market in west Afica and the major market East of the Nigeria there are lots of alternative to our excessive coastal need, 1. Ogoni, 2. Ijaw, 3. Efik, 4. Ibibio, 5. Azumini Port (When Dredged), river Niger may not be dredged unless we are certain about the water traffic that will come with the dredging not having some major damaged to the bridges and environs.

All we need is peace with peaceful neighbours and fight strictly and decisively with aggressive neighbours so that they can think more of peace.

If you are Ijaw especially and wants to meet or talk further, I'm open becuase we a looming fight if a treaty fail, the battle for PH, will not be funny, I'm open to negotiations, I'm open to treaties, we need to decide some things, so should you see enough reason to get talking right away, when there is no loss yet, much better becuase I know there will be loss on both side and I don't want any of my citizen to loose a hair on avoidable issues.
Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by KwaraRat: 6:18am On Aug 11, 2021
ijawcitizen:
In other words, the word biafra is associated with SLAVERY.

Jewish dominated slave trade.

1 Like

Re: The Origins Of The Word Biafra by KwaraRat: 8:55am On Aug 11, 2021
[s][/s]
Biafra amaka

Biafra is not an Igbo word.

Congo judas

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amotekun Arrests Truckload Of 80 Armed Fulani Herdsmen Heading To Ogun, Lagos / How IPOB Terrorists Treated A "Saboteur" In Abia State- (pictures) / APC Likely Presidential Ticket Combination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.