Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,125 members, 7,829,002 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:15 PM

Catalyst Converter / Oxygen Sensor Issues - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Catalyst Converter / Oxygen Sensor Issues (1227 Views)

Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel / Honda Civic 2007 Air Fuel Ration Sensor & Heater Oxygen Sensor Needed / Catalyst Converter Myth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catalyst Converter / Oxygen Sensor Issues by JAYUK(m): 7:53pm On Nov 25, 2020
I have a 2011 Toyota Sienna SE V6,I have been worried sick about the issues with the car.I once contemplated selling the vehicle.
Vehicle has 70k mileage on it,came in as Toks.
I observed check engine, VSC and a warning sign were illuminated in yellow.
Scan showed P0037, P2238 & P2241.
I have made inquires here and there, changed two oxygen sensors the error light comes back after some hours. On further scrutiny I observed the vehicle has no catalytic converter which I tried pricing, the price was on the high side.
Please I have a few questions?

1.Must the catalytic converter be replaced for the oxygen sensors to function well.
2.Can the oxygen sensors perform optimally with out the catalytic converters.

Please am pleading if anyone Has a better idea or resolution to my challange, please share
Re: Catalyst Converter / Oxygen Sensor Issues by king406(m): 8:24pm On Nov 25, 2020
Not sure about your sienna, but for my infiniti i’m planning on removing the catalyst and replace it with test pipes (which are basically just ordinary pipes but with o2 sensors). Doing this will make my car faster and louder
Re: Catalyst Converter / Oxygen Sensor Issues by EngRichie: 9:07pm On Nov 25, 2020
In order for the car to work well without the catalytic converter, you will need to do little modification. You should add a spacer to the post-CAT oxygen sensor. Howeve, the absence of CAT causes harmful emissions from the exhaust.
Re: Catalyst Converter / Oxygen Sensor Issues by ShutdownBrown24(m): 10:25pm On Nov 25, 2020
EngRichie:
In order for the car to work well without the catalytic converter, you will need to do little modification. You should add a spacer to the post-CAT oxygen sensor. Howeve, the absence of CAT causes harmful emissions from the exhaust.

The catalyst I bought today is 95k. One naira no comot.

Re: Catalyst Converter / Oxygen Sensor Issues by MrJames007: 10:58pm On Nov 25, 2020
ShutdownBrown24:

The catalyst I bought today is 95k. One naira no comot.
hahaha

Dis man cheesy

1 Like

Re: Catalyst Converter / Oxygen Sensor Issues by JAYUK(m): 11:13pm On Nov 25, 2020
@King406, after replacing the Cats with a long pipe,what happens to the error lights ( check engine) and VSC lights on your dash board. How will you treat the 3 or 4 sensors to ensure they function optimally as regards fuel consumption.
Re: Catalyst Converter / Oxygen Sensor Issues by JAYUK(m): 11:17pm On Nov 25, 2020
The cost of the catalyst I was told N 250,000
Re: Catalyst Converter / Oxygen Sensor Issues by king406(m): 12:34am On Nov 26, 2020
JAYUK:
@King406, after replacing the Cats with a long pipe,what happens to the error lights ( check engine) and VSC lights on your dash board. How will you treat the 3 or 4 sensors to ensure they function optimally as regards fuel consumption.
there are spacers sold to mount the o2 sensors farther away from the pipe, which should fix the check engine light. This isnt a 100% solution but it works for some. Either way, i can live with the check engine light on. Fuel consumption will not increase by much as long as the o2 sensors are connected
Re: Catalyst Converter / Oxygen Sensor Issues by naijadrivablog: 2:52am On Nov 26, 2020
JAYUK:
I have a 2011 Toyota Sienna SE V6,I have been worried sick about the issues with the car.I once contemplated selling the vehicle.
Vehicle has 70k mileage on it,came in as Toks.
I observed check engine, VSC and a warning sign were illuminated in yellow.
Scan showed P0037, P2238 & P2241.
I have made inquires here and there, changed two oxygen sensors the error light comes back after some hours. On further scrutiny I observed the vehicle has no catalytic converter which I tried pricing, the price was on the high side.
Please I have a few questions?

1.Must the catalytic converter be replaced for the oxygen sensors to function well.
2.Can the oxygen sensors perform optimally with out the catalytic converters.

Please am pleading if anyone Has a better idea or resolution to my challange, please share

There is how panel beaters construct that catalyst thing. They can buy half of the catalyst and weld the half to the half of your "catalyst port". Works most time.
Re: Catalyst Converter / Oxygen Sensor Issues by JAYUK(m): 10:25am On Nov 26, 2020
Please, help me with contact of who can sell good working oxygen sensors to me.
Re: Catalyst Converter / Oxygen Sensor Issues by Elsueno: 6:25pm On Nov 26, 2020
You guys don't know what check engine light is, Peugeot can even dash u a check engine light because of minor tiny issue. But that's what makes the car really really interesting grin and if catalyst get problem Omo, the Anti pollution fault warning and the beeps alone will make you fix am sharp sharp. Mehn...I love that ride
Re: Catalyst Converter / Oxygen Sensor Issues by JAYUK(m): 8:35pm On Nov 26, 2020
@elsueno, please are you advising a fix or replacement of the 3 exhaust catalyst,if there is a cheaper way round it,I will take it.
Replacing the stolen catalyst wants to cost an arm and leg.
Re: Catalyst Converter / Oxygen Sensor Issues by Elsueno: 10:56pm On Nov 26, 2020
JAYUK:
@elsueno, please are you advising a fix or replacement of the 3 exhaust catalyst,if there is a cheaper way round it,I will take it.
Replacing the stolen catalyst wants to cost an arm and leg.

I don't know much about Toyota, but shouldn't their be a code specific to catalytic converter missing or not functioning well. If I remember correctly, I think that P2241 code might just be a damaged gas cap, Don't be so fast on throwing money on new caty

If you are in Lagos try going to gazuz or radautoworj or find a good electrician to check wiring( Not roadside kazeem woh)
Re: Catalyst Converter / Oxygen Sensor Issues by JAYUK(m): 8:08pm On Nov 27, 2020
Please can I get contact of who can sell a direct abroad used functional catalyst for the sienna exhaust system. V6 2GR 2011 Sienna
Re: Catalyst Converter / Oxygen Sensor Issues by melviniyke2002(m): 8:15pm On Nov 27, 2020
JAYUK:
Please can I get contact of who can sell a direct abroad used functional catalyst for the sienna exhaust system. V6 2GR 2011 Sienna
contact Gazzuzz he might be of help.....

(1) (Reply)

Condemned Handa Crosstour To Buy, 2012 Models / Sienna, Viper Etc Please Advice Me About Which Car To Buy. / Automatic Transmission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.