Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,230 members, 7,818,775 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Common Tautological Mistakes - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Tautological Mistakes (504 Views)

Some Common Errors In English. / 8 Common Academic Related Slangs In Nigerian Universities / 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Common Tautological Mistakes by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 25, 2020
Tautology is the unnecessary repetition of words which are similar in meaning in a statement. Many English users make the mistake of using tautological words day to day. However, English scholars believe that anyone who makes tautologous statements is an illiterate.
Example of Tautological Statements:
A. Please REVERSE the car BACK.
We all know that it is impossible to reverse the car forward.
B. SO THEREFORE.
Each of the two words here means FOR THIS REASON. Using both words together means the speaker says "For this reason for this reason"
C. I will come there PERSONALLY.
This is quite funny, you don't need to mention "Personally" since "I" has been mentioned.
D. Can you write a SHORT SUMMARY of the book?
Summary is always short.

How to avoid making tautologous statements.
1. Avoid being emotional while talking
2. Do not lay much emphasis on any subject matters.
3. Be brief.
I am Tutor Atanda Ayobami, the CEO of Emeritus Erudition Hub.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Re-print Your JAMB Slip For 2021 UTME / Eddie Njemanze Appointed Registrar University Of Agriculture & Env'tal Sciences / Please Help With Info About NOUN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.