Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,545 members, 7,840,296 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports (20763 Views)

Over 1,000 Tons Of Palm Kernel Shell For Sale In Cross River State / 4,000 Tons Of Cassava For Sale . / 10,000 Tons Of Maize Needed In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by sonnie10: 4:25pm On Nov 27, 2020
Coldie:
Dollar scarcity, once that repatriated money from cocoa enters Nigeria they would trap it, either u take naira or leave it
This is the real issue. They want exchange dollars for farmer naira at 370 but farmers think they can get 470 from BDC.
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by sonnie10: 4:32pm On Nov 27, 2020
Standing5:
In addition to frustrating the businesses of these men. If I am one of the exporters, I will open a dollar account and ask customers to pay a substantial part of my profit component into it.
Let CBN go and market oil or let them sell gold they are reserving.
How do you withdraw from the dollar account?
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by uuzba(m): 4:35pm On Nov 27, 2020
GIANTPLUSHUB:
Mheen! This policy doesn't look good. So, the farmer should repatriate the dollar to Nigeria while the government buys at cbn rate. Policy doesn't look good.
White people will use the cocoa to make chocolate and then we import the chocolate back here at exorbitant rate.
I lived overseas. Chocolate was like akara. Poor students, can buy and eat anyhow they like.
Nothing dey there. I didn't eat much so I don't gain excessive weight because that is very much possible.
But here in Nigeria, somebody will think 50 times before buying OUR OWN cocoa based chocolate again!
What nonsense.
Manufacture the chocolate here. We go chop am like that.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by dalass(f): 4:37pm On Nov 27, 2020
quentin06:

Hmm days serious, we shud chop only cow meat?

I guess that's what they want since border closure did not affect cattle herders and the cattle from crossing northern borders into the country undecided

Even iced fish and frozen chicken/Turkey is so expensive
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by humilitypays(m): 4:38pm On Nov 27, 2020
Seun:
Why should a government that wants to diversify the economy and strengthen the naira, impose rules that will make exportation more difficult?
because the export is not from Northern Nigeria wink
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by lastclaire4(f): 4:39pm On Nov 27, 2020
PHijo:

Zimbabwe will be like paradise! More like Venezuela. The primary issue is Buhari, not Emefiele. The CBN is overwhelmed. Both monetary and fiscal interventions have been left to them because the Buhari cabinet has failed to act.

I will Emefoele is equally stupid. He is not the first CBN governor to go against the wish of the president.

Must he die on the seat? Why cant he tell them the right thing.
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by sonnie10: 4:50pm On Nov 27, 2020
uuzba:

White people will use the cocoa to make chocolate and then we import the chocolate back here at exorbitant rate.
I lived overseas. Chocolate was like akara. Poor students, can buy and eat anyhow they like.
Nothing dey there. I didn't eat much so I don't gain excessive weight because that is very much possible.
But here in Nigeria, somebody will think 50 times before buying OUR OWN cocoa based chocolate again!
What nonsense.

A bar of chocolate is sold for $1 -2 in most stores abroad . Any child can buy it. Meanwhile a bag of cocoa takes a whole day for a local farm laborer to process. They are paid less than $2 a day.
So a grown man with family in Nigeria works a day just to earn enough for a bar of chocolate.

The core problem is balance of trade and unfair trade which consequential leads to unfair commodity pricing by imperialistic multinational companies like nestle and Cadbury.
If cocoa is to be priced well at the international market, farmers would be better off.
Anyway let’s see want NOI will do if she ever gets the WTO job.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by VULCAN(m): 4:55pm On Nov 27, 2020
You assume that what they "say" they want and what they "really" want are the same.

Seun:
Why should a government that wants to diversify the economy and strengthen the naira, impose rules that will make exportation more difficult?

1 Like

Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by PHijo(m): 4:59pm On Nov 27, 2020
lastclaire4:

I will Emefoele is equally stupid. He is not the first CBN governor to go against the wish of the president.

Must he die on the seat? Why cant he tell them the right thing.

Even if he goes against the wish of the president that wouldn't be enough. He and the finance minister( at least). Will have to go against the wish of the president.

Due to Nigeria's over reliance on oil and gas, the president, being the petroleum minister would be crucial to any far reaching fiscal reform.
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by Coldie(m): 5:25pm On Nov 27, 2020
Standing5:
In addition to frustrating the businesses of these men. If I am one of the exporters, I will open a dollar account and ask customers to pay a substantial part of my profit component into it.
Let CBN go and market oil or let them sell gold they are reserving.
The cbn would know cause they keep stock of cocoa u are exporting cause I pay tax on it, u can be exporting cocas worth 1million dollars u pay 10percent as tax and custom duties they are expecting $9milliom and u pay $2million they might revoke ur export cert
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by Standing5(m): 5:29pm On Nov 27, 2020
Coldie:

The cbn would know cause they keep stock of cocoa u are exporting cause I pay tax on it, u can be exporting cocas worth 1million dollars u pay 10percent as tax and custom duties they are expecting $9milliom and u pay $2million they might revoke ur export cert
Let them come together, start a dummy middleman company that will be incorporated in one tax haven, then trap most of the profit in that company. This is wickedness. Are you telling me Dangote or BUA forfeits forex earned for naira unconditionally?
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by Coldie(m): 5:30pm On Nov 27, 2020
sonnie10:

This is the real issue. They want exchange dollars for farmer naira at 370 but farmers think they can get 470 from BDC.
When exporting u bring dollar into the economy and not the other way round the issue here is Nigeria has dollar scarcity, our major source of dollars is crude oil and demand and price has fallen drastically.

And Nigeria has debts to pay In dollars, so any dollar them get opportunity to see them dae grab am. Multi nationals like mtn and DStv are finding it difficult to repatriate money back cause there's no dollars to repatriate. The have huge stock of naira but they can't take it from the country.

Exporters if u export what cbn is doing is making sure u don't go to USA and open your account there and send the money there they want u to open it In Nigeria once it enters Nigeria forget it before u would get back that money in dollars u go suffer
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by chloride6: 5:32pm On Nov 27, 2020
Zoo Nation
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by Coldie(m): 5:32pm On Nov 27, 2020
Standing5:
Let them come together, start a dummy middleman company that will be incorporated in one tax haven, then trap most of the profit in that company. This is wickedness. Are you telling me Dangote or BUA forfeits forex earned for naira unconditionally?
U no dae follow up forex news, at a point I'm time u can't withdraw more than a certain amount from your dollar account, it even got worst u can't pay for something's with ur normal bank account again u have to go and look for dollar by yourself to pay directly.

Dangote might not be touched, u know he is building a refinery so he is spending alot
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by bizzibodi(m): 5:34pm On Nov 27, 2020
All this anti-people policies wetin concern dem with what exporters do with their dollars.
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by lastclaire4(f): 6:12pm On Nov 27, 2020
PHijo:

Even if he goes against the wish of the president that wouldn't be enough. He and the finance minister( at least). Will have to go against the wish of the president.

Due to Nigeria's over reliance on oil and gas, the president, being the petroleum minister would be crucial to any far reaching fiscal reform.

Finance minister? That one na political appointee o just leave her. That one doesnt know anything o. She is there just because no female northerner has ever held that position.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by PHijo(m): 6:15pm On Nov 27, 2020
lastclaire4:

Finance minister? That one na political appointee o just leave her. That one doesnt know anything o. She is there just because no female northerner has ever held that position.

Under normal circumstances being an appointee doesn't mean you wouldn't do things your way. The worse would be a sack.
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by akintunde63: 6:23pm On Nov 27, 2020
lalasticlala:

https://nairametrics.com/2020/11/27/100000-tons-of-cocoa-stranded-at-ports-due-to-cbn-documentation-cocoa-exporters/
This government is confused! The country is in recession, but instead of taking necessary steps to stimulate the economy and encourage export, they're busy implementing useless polices that'll hurt the economy the more.
Adieu, Nigeria!
There was a country!
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by Regex: 6:26pm On Nov 27, 2020
Eriokanmi:
your comment just gave me a succour. 2023 will set the record straight. God bless Nigeria

2023, another who is worse than him will be voted in by us. We just love to sit complain like we are doing now. Nothing will change.

1 Like

Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by Eriokanmi: 6:53pm On Nov 27, 2020
Regex:

2023, another who is worse than him will be voted in by us. We just love to sit complain like we are doing now. Nothing will change.
Not this time again

1 Like

Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by DexterousOne(m): 6:55pm On Nov 27, 2020
sonnie10:

The CBN governor should blame himself

1 Like

Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by DexterousOne(m): 6:58pm On Nov 27, 2020
CSTRR:
If anybody in buhari's inner circle, or appointed by him becomes president in 2023, I would give up on Nigerian issues.

By next week, I am going to sell two huge lands and invest it into American stocks and the dollar market.
Real estate in Nigeria is worth shit anyway due to the piss poor Naira.

Once I am done, I would have successfully divested my future from NIgeria and your economy.

If You people like, vote for buhari MK2, it would no longer be my business.

The country is fast going to the dogs
And the vast majority are cheering these dumb fellows running the country aground

2020 is yet to be over, nd people are cheering for 2023 already smh
Are Nigerians even normal?
My brother
Divesting from Nigeria may not be the worst of ideas

1 Like

Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by DexterousOne(m): 6:59pm On Nov 27, 2020
CSTRR:

Your country is ran by idiots.

Medically certifiable idiots.

If you have money, better start buying dollars.

Well said

The country is ran by dinwits
And cheered on by their fellow dimwits

1 Like

Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by Nobody: 7:01pm On Nov 27, 2020
sonnie10:

A bar of chocolate is sold for $1 -2 in most stores abroad . Any child can buy it. Meanwhile a bag of cocoa takes a whole day for a local farm laborer to process. They are paid less than $2 a day.
So a grown man with family in Nigeria works a day just to earn enough for a bar of chocolate.

The core problem is balance of trade and unfair trade which consequential leads to unfair commodity pricing by imperialistic multinational companies like nestle and Cadbury.
If cocoa is to be priced well at the international market, farmers would be better off.

You get it.

In addition to that, we ourselves are not serious about industrialisation.

Internal and external forces will continue to keep us down.
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by Ihejirikakings(m): 7:37pm On Nov 27, 2020
You people should creep on blocking everything.Is ok.
We are watching oo.
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by lastclaire4(f): 7:40pm On Nov 27, 2020
PHijo:

Under normal circumstances being an appointee doesn't mean you wouldn't do things your way. The worse would be a sack.
You dont understand. What do you think she knows, she wants to implement ? She is not a professional. You cant compair her to her predecessors. You cant give what you dont have.
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by DexterousOne(m): 7:42pm On Nov 27, 2020
uuzba:

What nonsense.

Africa is the smallest market when it comes to chocolate manufacturers
We are where they get the raw materials from
Period
Only a fraction of the "finished goods" finds it's way back

That said
We really need to prioritize value addition here
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by DexterousOne(m): 7:45pm On Nov 27, 2020
jajeri3216:

You get it.

In addition to that, we ourselves are not serious about industrialisation.

Internal and external forces will continue to keep us down.
The internal forces contributes much more to holding ourselves down than external forces
We are our own worst enemies undecided

That's why I scoff at those who blame the west, or imperialism for our woes
Even when things are near perfect
Black folks largely do not have the willingness, nor the sense to make things happen

3 Likes

Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by DexterousOne(m): 7:46pm On Nov 27, 2020
sonnie10:

If cocoa is to be priced well at the international market, farmers would be better of
What is your definition of "proper pricing"
Or things being priced well? Using your words
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by DexterousOne(m): 7:47pm On Nov 27, 2020
ednut1:
Doing business in Nigeria is hard
Very very hard
Re: CBN Blocks Exportation Of Cocoa: 100,000 Tons Trapped In Ports by DexterousOne(m): 7:47pm On Nov 27, 2020
InvertedHammer:
/
Come home and invest in Nigeria! This is it.

They suck unsuspecting people in into investments and kill the dream with government policy bottlenecks. Investors operating with bank loans are stuck. Nigeria is a dreamkiller indeed.

/

You are right
Shameful things happening in this country

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Plantain Sucker For Sell @ N40 Per Sucker / How Much Is 25L Of Palm Oil Now? / Grains Business (personal experienced)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.