Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,038 members, 7,956,863 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:55 PM

What Does The Nigeria Law States About Divorce - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Does The Nigeria Law States About Divorce (187 Views)

7 Important Legal Requirements You Should Know About Divorce In Nigeria. / Nigeria Law And Minors Claiming Funds/benefits / What Does It Mean For Babies To Be Looking Through Their Legs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Does The Nigeria Law States About Divorce by aluyapreston: 10:44am On Nov 28, 2020
Good day law students, lawyers and those with knowledge in the topic.

something has been bothering me and I need some clarification here. in america if a man and a woman decide to end their marriage, about half or more than half of the man's earnings and properties goes to the lady. he loses the apartment if they own one and pays for child support irrespective of the child being his or not. according to some of my peeps out there, it doesn't matter if it was the woman who did wrong (like cheating). he loses.

now I want to know if this is how our own system work?

1. do I share my properties/earnings with the woman if we decide to end a lawful marriage union?

2. does signing a prenup counter the possibility of number one, if the woman is the one who is in the wrong?

3. if number one is true and number two cannot help me, can having only traditional marriage and refusing to do court marriage help me boycott the law?

4. how long must a woman be in a legal union with me before having rights to my property if none of the three above can help. is it like one year or two years or more?

5.finally if the law does not exist for now, and I do a court wedding, then all of a sudden it gets introduced into the system, will it apply to marriage given that I got married before it became law?

Thank you all as I wait for answers.

Lalasticlala
Re: What Does The Nigeria Law States About Divorce by coolsegun2002: 11:00am On Nov 28, 2020
aluyapreston:
Good day law students, lawyers and those with knowledge in the topic.

something has been bothering me and I need some clarification here. in america if a man and a woman decide to end their marriage, about half or more than half of the man's earnings and properties goes to the lady. he loses the apartment if they own one and pays for child support irrespective of the child being his or not. according to some of my peeps out there, it doesn't matter if it was the woman who did wrong (like cheating). he loses.

now I want to know if this is how our own system work?

1. do I share my properties/earnings with the woman if we decide to end a lawful marriage union?

#Hardly will a court in Nigeria tell u to move out of ur house unless u have more than one...and this will be to support the children since most mothers usually win custody...
..however..u will be mandated to rent an apartment for ur wife and pay for child support...
Nigeria is hard....people pay for some time and later stop paying....sometimes its hard for the law to force them...it’s just as u can apply for bankruptcy in the US.....

2. does signing a prenup counter the possibility of number one, if the woman is the one who is in the wrong?

# how much u get sef way u dey think of pre-nil..forget prenup...people counter it all the time..

3. if number one is true and number two cannot help me, can having only traditional marriage and refusing to do court marriage help me boycott the law?

#Paper or no paper, tradinational marriage is recognized as a civil union every where in the world...this is so that people like u don’t cheat women when u get tired or u find a new fine girl....
that’s why we have customary courts...even if she can’t sue you in a high court... her case will be strong if she has children at the time of divorce... paper or no paper

4. how long must a woman be in a legal union with me before having rights to my property if none of the three above can help. is it like one year or two years or more?

# the longer the marriage ...the higher the entitlement because ur wife would have significantly contributed to the union in cash or kind
...however it doesn’t matter how long... once a child is involved ...u must pay...

5.finally if the law does not exist for now, and I do a court wedding, then all of a sudden it gets introduced into the system, will it apply to marriage given that I got married before it became law?

#if Nigeria becomes an Islamic state...will it affect us that we are alive before the law was passed..??

Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Be Financially Independent From The Comfort Of Your Home / Best Gifts For Mom / Help Me In The Name Of God Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.