Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,831 members, 7,820,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

Why Do People Use The Name Of Their Community As Surname - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do People Use The Name Of Their Community As Surname (417 Views)

Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? / Obobo Soup, The Special Igbo Soup Awka People Use To Cement Marriages / Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Use The Name Of Their Community As Surname by raphretle: 7:14am On Nov 29, 2020
Just wondering why someone would abandon his father's name or say Family name for his community name...
e. g Someone Bares the name
Sokoto, Alkaleri,
Re: Why Do People Use The Name Of Their Community As Surname by Aboks(m): 7:26am On Nov 29, 2020
raphretle:
Just wondering why someone would abandon his father's name or say Family name for his community name...
Sokoto, Alkaleri,

The ways of abokis are different from other nigerians
Re: Why Do People Use The Name Of Their Community As Surname by AreaFada2: 7:43am On Nov 29, 2020
Aboks:

The ways of abokis are different from other nigerians
Until the French Normans conquered England in 1066, the English did not use surnames.
It would be John from York or Peter from Winchester, etc.

Among Africans use of surname is relatively new too. It came with colonialism properly.

With Islam Africans began using X ibn Y, Y bint Z for a daughter or A Dan B, M bin N, etc.

So I guess up North affiliation to city or town of origin was perhaps for some still important.

Remember too that aristocrats or founders do historically bear names of their domains or even founded towns and gave their name to the villages or towns in the beginning. Their descendants can still be bearing such names. Some at least.
Re: Why Do People Use The Name Of Their Community As Surname by Depressed101: 7:46am On Nov 29, 2020
raphretle:
Sokoto, Alkaleri,
the name of a place can also be the name of a person. Afterall names of places are named after people. Some people bear their community name because the name of their community is the name of their forefathers, which means their community was named after their great great grandfather or so.

I don't think people just wake up and adopt community names, if they do i am not aware of such practice.
Re: Why Do People Use The Name Of Their Community As Surname by Charleys: 8:17am On Nov 29, 2020
I know of a man who comes from a place and he bears the name of that place, he's from the north and his family grew so big that they had to name the place after them. I believe they also intermarried.
Re: Why Do People Use The Name Of Their Community As Surname by raphretle: 4:05pm On Dec 01, 2020
It happens Sha

(1) (Reply)

Tokunbo 011 Toyota Camry Just Cleared Total Accident Free Clean In And Out First / How To Make Pop Corn Without Using Machine / Who Is The Mostly Richest Muscian In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.