Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

Borno Massacre: Death Toll Hits 110 As 43 Buried - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Borno Massacre: Death Toll Hits 110 As 43 Buried (388 Views)

BORNO MASSACRE: We’re Expecting Bumper Harvest But Can’t Go To Our Farms / Borno Massacre: Army Dismisses Boko Haram’s Claim / Borno Massacre: Nigeria Is On Auto Pilot - PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Borno Massacre: Death Toll Hits 110 As 43 Buried by agwom(m): 7:31am On Nov 30, 2020
Olatunji Omirin, Maiduguri

The number of rice farmers slaughtered by Boko Haram fighters on Saturday at Koshobe village near Maiduguri has hit 110, the United Nations Office in Nigeria, said Sunday hours after 43 of the victims were buried.

Humanitarian agencies said more bodies of the Zabarmari villagers killed by the insurgents in rice fields were being recovered from far-flung areas.

Edward Kallon, the United Nations Resident Coordinator and Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, said in a statement on Sunday that over 110 farmers were killed by the Boko Haram assailants on Saturday.

Kallon, who is also the Resident Representative of the United Nations Development Programme in Nigeria, said they were devastated by the killing of the vulnerable civilians.

It was learnt that the 43 bodies recovered from one of the scenes of Saturday’s carnage were the ones buried at the first instance, with officials saying more bodies would be buried in the coming days.
The governor attends the funeral prayer

The 43 were buried at the Zabarmari cemetery, their ancestral home, amidst wailing by their loved ones and acquaintances.

There has been outrage over the incident by citizens, who have expressed frustration over the continuous killings across the country.

Most of them took to social media to condemn the act and call on the government to take a decisive action against criminals.

The Borno attack is coming after about two weeks of continuous kidnappings and killings across the country, with the north being the worst hit region.

A development which caused the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammadu Sa’ad Abubakar, to describe the north as the worst place to live in now.

The Yoruba socio-political group, Afenifere and that of the northern region, Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) also condemned the attacks, calling on the government to protect citizens.

Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari has condemned the killings. In a statement through his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, the president described the act as dastardly, saying the government had given the armed forces the needed support to protect the country’s population and its territory.

Mallam Abubakar Yunus, who lost two of his sons to the ungodly act, said he was arrested along with his children and that they were slaughtered in his presence.

“People were working on their farms. At our site, the whole thing started at about 10.30 am when the Boko Haram fighters, armed with guns, came wearing army uniforms and surrounded us.

“They slaughtered my sons in my presence and one of them asked me who they were to me! I replied that they were my children. I am still in shock as to how people could be that heartless,” he said.

Another source said it was the productive population in the community that was decimated.

https://dailytrust.com/borno-massacre-death-toll-hits-110-as-43-buried
Re: Borno Massacre: Death Toll Hits 110 As 43 Buried by Nbotee(m): 7:34am On Nov 30, 2020
D useless govt will com and start questioning the numbers becos it is more concerned about it's image dan d lives of it's citizens...
Re: Borno Massacre: Death Toll Hits 110 As 43 Buried by Racoon(m): 7:35am On Nov 30, 2020
God save this beleaguered region.
Re: Borno Massacre: Death Toll Hits 110 As 43 Buried by adexeli(m): 7:35am On Nov 30, 2020
Deep sighs... Nigeria
Re: Borno Massacre: Death Toll Hits 110 As 43 Buried by doggedfighter(f): 7:39am On Nov 30, 2020
They massacred and left unchallenged in a country with Army ,Air Force ,Navy, SWAT. Strange !!

And I see army everywhere in Onitsha.

Hard times are here.

Since they could operate in Katsina so freely I knew it's a hopeless situation for the north.
Re: Borno Massacre: Death Toll Hits 110 As 43 Buried by doggedfighter(f): 7:40am On Nov 30, 2020
T
Re: Borno Massacre: Death Toll Hits 110 As 43 Buried by NaijaFutbol: 7:45am On Nov 30, 2020
ok o.

ThisDay Newspaper
Attack on Boko Haram is Attack on the North - Buhari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq0MFpRmrYU
Re: Borno Massacre: Death Toll Hits 110 As 43 Buried by privaldo: 7:45am On Nov 30, 2020
As much as I would like to show empathy to the lost souls I think its time the people pick up arms and defend their lives, "a man who fights to live is better than one who cowers in fear knowing that death is likely the inevitable end for both".
Re: Borno Massacre: Death Toll Hits 110 As 43 Buried by NaijaFutbol: 7:52am On Nov 30, 2020
Mr. President wont Attack the North

Re: Borno Massacre: Death Toll Hits 110 As 43 Buried by PlayerMeji: 8:12am On Nov 30, 2020
This guy has failed woefully...
Time to admit it.
Re: Borno Massacre: Death Toll Hits 110 As 43 Buried by lastmessenger: 8:29am On Nov 30, 2020
Where is buhari right now?
Re: Borno Massacre: Death Toll Hits 110 As 43 Buried by thesicilian: 8:31am On Nov 30, 2020
How I wish they can restrict all the killings to their own northern brethren

(1) (Reply)

New Strategy As NCC Implements New SIM Registration Rules / Breaking News : Appeal Court Nullify Dasuki Indictment / What Do You Think A Young Nigerian Must Have To Endure The Nigeria Of Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.